The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Kate Middleton: 1,000 days as a Duchess:
AS she gets used to a new home, a new child and a new life for her husband Kate Middleton reaches a significant royal milestone today…
Kate Middleton celebrates 1,000 days as Duchess of Cambridge | Life | Life & Style | Daily Express

Although I can't wait for Catherine to become a fulltime working royal, I think Catherine has done a great job in her royal role so far. She's not only a great support to William but she's doing a great job in carving out a role for herself. She's a new mother and that's where her attention is but she's also willing to learn the ropes form her grandmother-in-law, The Queen. I like how she's willing to accompany Her Majesty on official engagements and that The Queen is more than willing to share the engagements with her.

I continue to wish Catherine all the blessings in the world and look forward to what she'll be doing next as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge and future Queen Consort.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Personally I am very disappointed in the lack of work from Kate, her dress sense - she regularly has the dress fly up for instance when most women in a public role would realise it can happen and do something (maybe she enjoys showing off her figure and thinks that is appropriate behaviour for a future Queen, the lack of patronages at this stage of her life as a royal and the lack of engagement when on them.

She has achieved the only important role in giving birth to the future king so she knows her future is secure but she hasn't won over the public completely due to her lack of work and the excuses made for her.

She has a long way to go to earn my respect.

I never like Diana but I did respect that fact that she did get her hands dirty with royal work, as did Sarah but not Kate - she has done virtually nothing to admire. Any 32 year old whose only achievement is to have one child since leaving university would be criticised from here to kingdom come except Kate.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Personally I am very disappointed in the lack of work from Kate, her dress sense - she regularly has the dress fly up for instance when most women in a public role would realise it can happen and do something (maybe she enjoys showing off her figure and thinks that is appropriate behaviour for a future Queen, the lack of patronages at this stage of her life as a royal and the lack of engagement when on them.

She has achieved the only important role in giving birth to the future king so she knows her future is secure but she hasn't won over the public completely due to her lack of work and the excuses made for her.

She has a long way to go to earn my respect.

I never like Diana but I did respect that fact that she did get her hands dirty with royal work, as did Sarah but not Kate - she has done virtually nothing to admire. Any 32 year old whose only achievement is to have one child since leaving university would be criticised from here to kingdom come except Kate.
I second everything you say! Perfectly summed up my opinion of Catherine as well.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
But you're comparing the former Princess of Wales who was married to the heir to the throne, to a woman who is not Princess of Wales and is married to the heir to the heir. Isn't that a little unfair?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
But you're comparing the former Princess of Wales who was married to the heir to the throne, to a woman who is not Princess of Wales and is married to the heir to the heir. Isn't that a little unfair?
Bertie mentioned Sarah who was in the same position as Catherine until William came along, technically and from Bertie's explanation it doesn't appear to be a comparison but an observation. Catherine is the most prominent lady in the royal family, as was Diana at the time, and has done barely anything. Like Bertie said Diana "worked for her title".
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

I totally agree that Catherine could be doing more and its one of the reasons why I think her and William should become fulltime royals this year. Other than that, I think she has done a great job on what she's done so far.

I'm looking forward to her charitable patronages expanding, her military appointments and her participation in State events with the royal family.

As Richard Palmer pointed out in the article, what Catherine do next is based on William's next move. I'm still trying to figure out what's he trying to do, ease into fulltime royal duties or putting it off for a little while longer?

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Bertie mentioned Sarah who was in the same position as Catherine until William came along, technically and from Bertie's explanation it doesn't appear to be a comparison but an observation. Catherine is the most prominent lady in the royal family, as was Diana at the time, and has done barely anything. Like Bertie said Diana "worked for her title".
I responded to only the part of her post that compares Kate to Diana. And I wouldn't say that Sarah Ferguson was in the same position as Kate. Sarah Ferguson was married to a son of the Queen. Kate is married to a grandson of the Queen.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Diana didn't do much her first couple of hers as the Princess of Wales. Neither did Sarah as the Duke of York
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
I responded to only the part of her post that compares Kate to Diana. And I wouldn't say that Sarah Ferguson was in the same position as Kate. Sarah Ferguson was married to a son of the Queen. Kate is married to a grandson of the Queen.
You mentioned that Bertie was comparing Catherine and Diana, when Catherine is not in the same position as Diana. She is currently in the same position as Sarah, married to the second in the line to the throne.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I found the Express article interesting in that it mentions getting away from talking about frocks and rocks, and focusing on the issues that the royals support. And that is something I agree with.

I also agree with some of the criticism of Catherine and her lack of work ethic. Comparisons with Diana are not fair because Diana did not work flat out as some suggest, and she also had a full complement of staff, but changing perceptions of events 25 years ago is futile.

I think that the main issue is William. The Royal Prince and Duke who wants to live a "normal life". Well he cant unless he gives it all up and the sooner he understands that the better. Drifting about trying to come up with a worthwhile job to do is ridiculous when there is one waiting to be done. He is acting like a spoilt child.

RIchard Palmer says that what Catherine does depends on William's next move, but it has always depended on what William does.

They need to get on with royal duties. Catherine needs to add to her patronages and get out there, while there is still interest and charities can benefit.

Im disappointed but responsibility for the current state of affairs does not just lie with Catherine.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Kate Middleton celebrates 1,000 days as Duchess of Cambridge
Kate Middleton celebrates 1,000 days as Duchess of Cambridge - hellomagazine.com
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I found the Express article interesting in that it mentions getting away from talking about frocks and rocks, and focusing on the issues that the royals support. And that is something I agree with.

I also agree with some of the criticism of Catherine and her lack of work ethic. Comparisons with Diana are not fair because Diana did not work flat out as some suggest, and she also had a full complement of staff, but changing perceptions of events 25 years ago is futile.

I think that the main issue is William. The Royal Prince and Duke who wants to live a "normal life". Well he cant unless he gives it all up and the sooner he understands that the better. Drifting about trying to come up with a worthwhile job to do is ridiculous when there is one waiting to be done. He is acting like a spoilt child.

RIchard Palmer says that what Catherine does depends on William's next move, but it has always depended on what William does.

They need to get on with royal duties. Catherine needs to add to her patronages and get out there, while there is still interest and charities can benefit.

Im disappointed but responsibility for the current state of affairs does not just lie with Catherine.

Diana did work hard because of the position she was in but I hear you cepe. I too think the Cambridge's should go right into full time duties. I've become confused on the idea of William looking for another job in September.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

And what are your views on Camilla? 9 years in and carries out half the number of engagements as her husband. Never thought of you as a Cambridge basher Cepe but there you go.
Why isn't Camilla using her global profile as Charles' wife to tackle world-wide poverty for instance??
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
And what are your views on Camilla? 9 years in and carries out half the number of engagements as her husband. Never thought of you as a Cambridge basher Cepe but there you go.
Why isn't Camilla using her global profile as Charles' wife to tackle world-wide poverty for instance??
I'm not a Cambridge basher, but I call it as I see it. They are not helping the monarchy at all and William is at the heart of the problem. The reason that they get trivialised (frocks and rocks) is that they are never in the public eye long enough to really establish what they believe in and what their priorities are.

I'm hoping that with experience help on the PR front (never thought much of the KP PR team) this can be sorted, but they do not have all the time in the world.

As for doing a comparison with Camilla... I think for someone who has had to overcome real animosity and started public duties late in life she is doing well. And the positive impact on Charles cannot be underestimated.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Is Charles Jealous of His Kids (And Kate)? - The Daily Beast
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What a load of bulls**t. Worse than the Daily Mail. It's making it out that Charles is some dictator about the overhaul the "image" to some eco-nut monarchy that's going to change the world. What's actually occuring is entirely appropriate and makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've been happy with the job Kate has done so far, but I do think that it's time for the younger royals to start taking on more duties. I'll be disappointed if Harry, William and Kate haven't upped their engagements this year.

I do wonder though, how many engagements do people think Kate should be doing. She did 111 engagements in 2011 and people weren't happy with that number, so does she need to do 200 or more? Should she be matching Camilla's numbers (which are about 250 a year)?

Quote:

I don't think he's acting like a spoilt child. It's not like he's refusing to do his duty. William and Harry haven't really needed to go full-time, so they were allowed a little "normalcy". Now that some of the senior members are getting older and are not able to take on as many duties, it looks like Harry, Kate and William are going to be stepping up.

I think if the Queen felt that William wasn't taking his role seriously, she would have put her foot down long ago. I think she has been fine with the job the Cambridges' have done.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

People always seem to use The Queen as an excuse for letting William and Catherine of. I know we have that outfit comment in the Jubilee interviews but other than that we have no insight into her character and what she wants. She could have wanted William and Catherine to go full time or at least part time from day one and they refused, she can't physically force them and while they aren't "needed" necessarily they are clearly wanted.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

If he can't even wear the outfit he wants to his own wedding, I doubt he's running anything. If she wanted him to go full-time, I think he would be full-time. And since Harry is also a part-time royal, it's more than likely that she was okay with them not taking on full-time duties.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Wasn't it the case that The Queen told William to wear the military uniform of his highest rank, or where he was serving or something like that? She was pretty much getting him to observe protocol. Frankly, I can't imagine he would have preferred to wear a military uniform over a nice crisp, clean, and freeing-ness of a tailored suit.

But I'm off topic.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family