General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I said „really conservative” I meant people like Phyllis Schlafly and the Duggar family. Conservative in their views of women not in a religious or political aspect. There are plenty of people out there who are not religious or political but still conservative when it comes to women’s issues.

And unfortunately as with every group out there even feminists have their „extremists” and to me they give feminism a bad name.

I am not sure Jill Duggar would fit into your position of the parameters you previously mentioned. She did work outside the home prior to having children...and she and her husband made the decision for her to stay home after they decided to have a large family.

I am fairly conservative in my views of traditional gender roles. I know a number of people who are...however none of them would insist another person do what they do or take up a rant against women who work.

LaRae

I'm not sure how I feel about that article, but I do agree that the fairytale has sort of waned for a lot of people. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that when it comes to me, everything that happened with Diana really changed the way I viewed the life of a Royal. She highlighted all of the negatives that came with marrying into that institution. I do think Kate is better equipped to handle the pressures than Diana was, but as they say, you can't unring a bell. Once you pull that veil back, you can never fully replace it again. That being said, I don't think the view of the monarchy shifting from fantastic to realistic is a bad thing. A better understanding of the realities of their life has led to a better working relationship with both press and public IMO.

I am not sure Jill Duggar would fit into your position of the parameters you previously mentioned. She did work outside the home prior to having children...and she and her husband made the decision for her to stay home after they decided to have a large family.

I am fairly conservative in my views of traditional gender roles. I know a number of people who are...however none of them would insist another person do what they do or take up a rant against women who work.

LaRae

Actually Jill is the 20 something daughter who lived with mom and dad until she recently married and is already pregnant - did you mean the mom - Michele?
Interesting that the whole homeschooling trend which seems to be growing in the US was in essence what Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret experienced (well, they had professionals coming in to educate them rather than just mom) and has been abandoned for a school experience among peers for their children and grandchildren. Unlike people like the Duggars where the elder children are essentially raising the younger, Catherine has a professionally trained nanny and I expect when the time comes Prince George and sibling(s) will be attending school - if pre school I wonder if it will be near Amner or in London near Kendington Palace.

Actually Jill is the 20 something daughter who lived with mom and dad until she recently married and is already pregnant - did you mean the mom - Michele?
Interesting that the whole homeschooling trend which seems to be growing in the US was in essence what Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret experienced (well, they had professionals coming in to educate them rather than just mom) and has been abandoned for a school experience among peers for their children and grandchildren. Unlike people like the Duggars where the elder children are essentially raising the younger, Catherine has a professionally trained nanny and I expect when the time comes Prince George and sibling(s) will be attending school - if pre school I wonder if it will be near Amner or in London near Kendington Palace.

Oh yes I meant Michelle!

Homeschooling has always been done in the US in varying forms. In light of the failure and/or problems of some schools/programs I can totally understand why some parents choose to educate their own children. Some of the highest scores on the SAT's (et al) have come from homeschooled children. Having known a number of homeschooled kids I don't think there needs to be professionals coming in (afterall the goverment schools are supposedly run by professionals and look at the test scores there) to teach...most parents are perfectly capable of teaching their own kids.

Even in smaller families it's not uncommon to see the older kids helping out with the younger ones. That's just what families are supposed to do. There were only 2 of us (my sister and I) and I helped out with her.

LaRae

Women tend to be more critical of other women. Don't know why, but there have been articles on the subject.

As for Kate, she was known as William's college girlfriend, so after college, the media coverage was tremendous and I recall she had to quit one job because of it. I am sure many of her co-workers were bothered by the media looking for stories. Then all the cameras outside her work place. I always thought she went to work for her parents because it offered freedom to holiday with William and protection from the media.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Good to hear that she's starting to feel better and feel well enough to take on some royal duties.

I wouldn't think Ms. Greer knows much about family relationships. She was permanently estranged from her parents from the time she was a teenager, and her only marriage lasted 3 1/2 weeks.

Jennifer Selway on Kate Middleton, Anne Kirkbride and a Cliff Richard doll | Jennifer Selway | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

GERMAINE GREER has had a go at the Duchess of Cambridge.

"The girl is too thin," she grumbled. Usually the great gobby Greer's pronouncements receive acres of coverage because she's good at winding people up. This sideswipe has fallen flat. Why? Because while it's considered rude and unkind to call someone fat it's considered OK to make remarks about the thin.

Poor Kate has long been subjected to thinnist remarks. Slender celebrities such as Keira Knightley or Victoria Beckham are forever being told to eat chips and fatten up or being accused of being anorexic. If you're thin you're often asked if you're "all right?" Pretty rude I think. Nobody would ever say: "You're obese. Are you all right?" Thin people have feelings too.

Yes, some of us are fat and there are plenty of insults to go around. Some of us are thin and are revered by current society. Kate is one of the thin ones and that can't be denied.

I'm not sure if revered is the word that I'd use. Thin people are also subject to insults and suggestions that they are ill or suffering from an eating disorder.

The world's obsession with weight is causing many young girls severe self esteem problems. And it's not getting any better - apparently now in the US women who wear size 12 (14 in UK) are considered "plus size". That's outrageous.

Just my opinion - but I had always thought Greer's version of feminism is that we should all have the freedom to seek a role in which we find happiness and fulfillment - what she calls freedom. Frankly, carping at any one person to claim she (Kate) is somehow not seeking her own happiness and fulfillment is irrelevant to that freedom. Meaning, Greer should not make decisions for Kate any more than anyone else should.

It seems she is still in Bucklebury...

Ashleigh ‏@x_AshleighLou

Served Kate Middleton's mum & Prince George today at work..

I'm glad she's with her family and isn't just surrounded by doctors and staff at KP. I'm sure it's an added comfort for her to be with her mom. With this kind of condition, anything that can help at all is a good thing.

Could well be that Carole is looking after him and necessary that Catherine is there.

AdmirerUS

You are absolutely right... Greer's sort of feminist cannot bear women [who enjoy the freedom she and others fought for] choosing to stay at home and raise kids in the traditional manner. The reality of women REALLY choosing what they feel is best for them is 'a bridge too far'.

For Greer you had to "choose what Greer chose". I have never like the woman. Back in her day all was fine because woman truly were trying their wings and that suited her but when some women decided that they truly loved their "nest" then her opinions changed and "freedom" meant that these women who made those choices suddenly became "unfulfilled".

I have no use for the 'femi-nazis' out there like this. If you don't choose what they agree with you are told you are setting women back and wasting your life etc.

LaRae

I think Ms. Greer is entitled to her opinion, don't you agree?

If what Greer was aiming for had actually reached its goal, there would be no more men and women... just people when it comes to careers, income, how to and who raises the kids etc. Everyone should have the right and the freedom to live their lives as they see fit.

I bet Carole is just basking in her grandmother role right now. What grandma doesn't love to take the wee one off to shop and spoil rotten, show off to friends and just really love being with the kid. Sounds like a win win situation to me. :cool:

... Everyone should have the right and the freedom to live their lives as they see fit...

And if one is not living in a dictatorship where children are removed for state childrearing, that right is upheld. However, if Ms. Greer thinks Kate is thin, she has the right to say that she thinks Kate is thin, No?

I think Ms. Greer is entitled to her opinion, don't you agree?

No one here has said she shouldn't be....no calls for silencing her or getting her fired. Just disagreement with her stance.

LaRae

Of course she has the right to state her opinion. Just as we have the right to comment or disagree with said opinion.

Last edited:
I bet Carole is just basking in her grandmother role right now. What grandma doesn't love to take the wee one off to shop and spoil rotten, show off to friends and just really love being with the kid. Sounds like a win win situation to me. :cool:

I am sure she is, and granddad too!

No one here has said she shouldn't be....no calls for silencing her or getting her fired. Just disagreement with her stance.

LaRae

OK, I'll buy that. But I have to agree with Greer that Kate is thin. I hope Kate doesn't get any thinner or she may have more problems with the pregnancy. (I'd like to believe that no one wants that for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom