General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this duties are for minor royal. Queen or future queen can't spend two weeks watching tennis. It would be good position for Eugenie or Harry, but not for Kate (or Camilla).

The Queen takes at least 6 days out a year to attend race meetings (Derby and Royal Ascot) so it is well within a senior royal capacity to give say3-4 days across a fortnight. The Duke does not go to Wimbledon every day.

Last edited:
The Queen takes at least 6 days out a year to attend race meetings (Derby and Royal Ascot) so it is well within a senior royal capacity to give say3-4 days across a fortnight. The Duke does not go to Wimbledon every day.
Ascot is her duty

I think this duties are for minor royal. Queen or future queen can't spend two weeks watching tennis. It would be good position for Eugenie or Harry, but not for Kate (or Camilla).

The future queen Kate is probably watching tennis right now. The queen doesn't like tennis so she rarely comes to Wimbledon. But Kate is tennis mad she and William have come each of the previous 2 years plus last years final with Pippa and the tennis Olympic tournament. She would be the perfect person to take over for the Duke of Kent . It can be like when William took over the patronage of the playing fields trust from his grandfather after the DoE was patron for 60 years.

Has Harry, Bea or Eugenie ever gone to Wimbledon?

Ascot is her duty

The Queen is actually The Royal patron of the All England Club, so that is her duty as well. she supports Ascot every day because she LOVES it, nothing to do with duty.

The Queen is actually The Royal patron of the All England Club, so that is her duty as well. she supports Ascot every day because she LOVES it, nothing to do with duty.
Do you think she pays for royal procession from own pocket? Grooms, drivers...

Somehow I don't think Wimbledon is one of the dukes most taxing appointments, although one he most likely quite enjoys. I cannot see how removing him would be "helping him out" or even welcomed by him.
The topic just reaks of ageism and the "lets have something new and shiney to amuse us" mentality.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Considering its a weekly magazine, this went to print a few days ago, so that's how silly it is.

Photoshopped IMO.

Do you think she pays for royal procession from own pocket? Grooms, drivers...

I'm sorry what's that got to do with duty? The Queen owns Ascot Racecourse, so effectively yes she pays for her own royal procession. She does not have to attend Ascot, in the CC it is listed as The Queen honoured Royal Ascot with her presence. Frankly if you saw the look on her face when her horse won the gold cup, you'd realise Ascot was anything but a duty.

I can't imagine any royal would want to watch tennis for two weeks straight but Catherine and William both seem incredible interested in the sport, and therefore I don't get why it wouldn't be a suitable patronage for her? It would be great publicity for the sport and Catherine would enjoy herself, unlike Eugenie being named patron who seems to have little or no interest in the sport and would "do her duty" by showing up to give the trophies.

The royals each have different sporting interests. The queen's horse racing, Andrew's golf, William's football and rugby etc. Kate likes tennis. I think the Wimbledon position would be great for her and it would tie in the work that William and Kate promoting sport to youngsters.

You wouldn't have to go to the tournament everyday just the finals and a day or so the first week. You could even split the trophy presentations with the Duke of Kent like the Duchess of Kent did. Kate is going to event anyways so use the press that comes with it for some good.

Duchess of Cambridge: The world is going wild for the royal baby - Telegraph

Duchess of Cambridge: The world is going wild for the royal baby
Knitted kangaroos in Australia, baby showers in the US, Niagara Falls to be lit up pink or blue. Kate’s bump has gone global.

It is, the Washington Post declared, “the world’s most famous baby”. When the Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to her son or daughter in the Lindo Wing of St Mary’s hospital, Paddington, next month, millions will be watching events – not just in Britain but around the globe. The first heir to the throne born in 31 years; grandchild of Diana, Princess of Wales; and the latest in a generation of young royals who are idolised like celebrities – it’s no wonder the royal birth is expected to generate £260 million worldwide.

In Britain, excitement remains muted, with royal-watchers waiting until the baby is born before planning celebrations. But around the world – in America, India and the former colonies of Australia, New Zealand and Canada – royal baby fever has reached a peak.

This week, a series of bizarre photographs of Julia Gillard showed the former Australian prime minister knitting a kangaroo for the new arrival. Knitted kangaroos, however, are just the tip of the iceberg of international obsession with the new prince or princess. Interest has been piqued by a number of recent royal tours: Kate and William’s trips to the Far East and Canada; Harry’s US visit in May and the various Diamond Jubilee expeditions all helped raise the monarchy’s profile abroad. As head of the Commonwealth, the Queen has always celebrated her close links with her overseas subjects; indeed, a story about Prince William’s Indian ancestors made front page headlines this month. So just how is the rest of the world gearing up for the royal birth?

Across the Atlantic, back-to-back media coverage is fuelling interest. This week, the Duchess appears on the cover of almost all the weekly magazines in America, and every aspect of her pregnancy is reported as front page news. In Canada, The Globe and Mail is planning a commemorative edition for publication after the birth, which it dubs “the hottest, best-viewed story of 2013”; while ABC News has set up a royal baby guestbook online. Signatories total more than 5,000, with contributions from Kenya, Indonesia, Qatar and Fiji. “The world can’t wait to meet you little one,” writes a fan from the Philippines.

“You can’t open a magazine over here without reading something about the royal baby,” says Victoria Arbiter, CNN’s royal correspondent. “This morning, one station featured nine burning questions about the royal baby: things like 'will it have a pet?’, 'what will it eat?’ and 'where will it go to school?’. It’s got quite funny now; if there’s even a tiny reason to mention the baby, they’ll do it. It’s everywhere, from People and the National Enquirer to Time magazine, which is running a slide show of Kate’s maternity style. We can’t get enough.”

With only two weeks to go until the official due date, royal-watchers as far afield as Cape Town, Ottawa and Mexico City are planning street parties, afternoon teas and baby-naming competitions. In Canada, celebrations are being organised nationwide, including a naming party at a naval officers’ mess in Ottawa and garden parties in Calgary. “We’re also asking for significant monuments to be lit up in blue or pink, such as Toronto’s CN Tower or Niagara Falls,” explains Robert Finch, president of the Monarchist League of Canada. “There has been a noticeable surge in Canadian interest in the Royal family in the last few years.” Baby showers – typically an American trend – are being held across the US to mark the birth.

Arianne Chernock, professor of modern British history at Boston University, says the international frenzy around the baby reflects an historical obsession. “The birth of William in the early Eighties was one of the top-selling People magazine stories of all time,” she explains. “In the early 20th century, the world followed the education of Princess Elizabeth with great interest; and during the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1838, the US press went berserk. You can see that happening again with the royal baby; it’s a global phenomenon.”

If the poor child knew what awaited it, it would stay in the womb as long as possible because it will never enjoy a moment of privacy once born.

I'm just thinking about it but do anyone think Catherine received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal? I can't seem to find that information anywhere. I think it's because it isn't announced or something.

Thankyou, Dman - a very interesting and insightful video/commentary.

JB ‏@Royal_beans 2m
Speculation: The Duchess of Cambridge is set to attend a medals parade with the Irish Guards on Dec 6 #royal

Yeah, the ghost of Diana weighing in (pun intended!) on Kate's size was just a wee bit over the top. :eek:

Kate & Work Ethic

Hello! Popping in with a question... I was perusing some royal "fandom" blogs on Tumblr.com and came across quite a few posters who seemed to be quite critical of Kate's work ethic, or rather, her lack of it. The general consensus seemed to be that she is not pulling her weight when it comes to "work". A lot of it seemed quite catty (all she does is shop! she doesn't have a passion for charity!) but it also made me wonder if this is really a true sentiment among royal watchers or if it's just something that comes from the tabloids who like to stir up trouble?

Is there anything to these criticisms of her lack of work ethic? It would seem to me that as a new member of the royal family, a junior member at that, and being a new mum would be the main reasons that she's not doing as many engagements? Who assigns the work, and how much say does Kate have in what she does? Is she being given special treatment by HM and the palace because of her popularity? Some of the critics were saying that she's already had several years of "experience" since her engagement, therefore the excuse that she's adjusting to royal life does not stand.

Wondering what you all thought? I don't live in the UK so I am not privy to what the papers there say, and the US press tends to be very favorable to her.

Hello! Popping in with a question... I was perusing some royal "fandom" blogs on Tumblr.com and came across quite a few posters who seemed to be quite critical of Kate's work ethic, or rather, her lack of it. The general consensus seemed to be that she is not pulling her weight when it comes to "work". A lot of it seemed quite catty (all she does is shop! she doesn't have a passion for charity!) but it also made me wonder if this is really a true sentiment among royal watchers or if it's just something that comes from the tabloids who like to stir up trouble?

Is there anything to these criticisms of her lack of work ethic? It would seem to me that as a new member of the royal family, a junior member at that, and being a new mum would be the main reasons that she's not doing as many engagements? Who assigns the work, and how much say does Kate have in what she does? Is she being given special treatment by HM and the palace because of her popularity? Some of the critics were saying that she's already had several years of "experience" since her engagement, therefore the excuse that she's adjusting to royal life does not stand.

Wondering what you all thought? I don't live in the UK so I am not privy to what the papers there say, and the US press tends to be very favorable to her.

Welcome to The Royal Forums! If there is any aspect of The Duchess of Cambridge that is to be found, its most likely has been very much discussed here somewhere. There are even archive areas where conversations about Kate are kept that date back long before her engagement and marriage. :D

I honestly think it boils down to personal perspective to how people see Kate. From my perspective of being a full time housewife and mother for years and never really "worked" much in my life, it could be vastly different from the poster that has been a career person since leaving school. Its what makes this place so interesting and I'm hoping you will find it as much as a source for information, a place to talk with fantastic people from all over the world, and a good way to not only get to know the royals, what they do and what their worlds are like.

I came here for Ascot hats years ago and haven't left yet! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom