General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Catherine did what she wanted to do. She worked for her family business and now she's married into an old family "Firm", where she works for the Windsor's and for the people of the UK and Commonwealth. A job she will have for a very long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, Catherine did what she wanted to do. She worked for her family business and now she's married into an old family "Firm", where she works for the Windsor's and for the people of the UK and Commonwealth. A job she will have for a very long time.
Thank you. I feel very strongly about women having the opportunity in life to make their own choices and I take offense to those who wish to criticize those decisions. Unless Kate had opted for a life of crime then she shouldn't be a target for other women with a very narrow point of views.

Off my soapbox now.

And what's more, she 'beat out' many other women of her generation for the job that she got.

I had a fine and satisfying career in two different fields. But no one criticized me when I left to raise a family, and no one cheered me when I moved up through the ranks when it was difficult for a woman to do so. I never saw myself as a trailblazer for younger women- they had to fight their own battles regardless of how I fought mine. You do what you do in life, and if you're lucky, you love what you do.

And it's not as though Catherine wouldn't have made a fine success in some particular field if she hadn't met the love of her life in college.
A woman with education, brains, charm and character will likely do well in whatever endeavor she undertakes.

:previous:
Thank you. that is the best response. I agree 100%

And what's more, she 'beat out' many other women of her generation for the job that she got...
Excellent response!!!
...I firmly believe that feminism is about enabling women to make choices and not imposing a specific path.
Well stated!!!!
...I think it's a form of bullying - "if you dont comply with my values, I will ridicule you in print".
I agree with your statement.

Educating women is never a waste. Even if "all" they do is raise children and volunteer.
Many people live long lives with many careers. She could decide to launch a career after her children are grown, lke the Duchess of Kent.

Educating women is never a waste. Even if "all" they do is raise children and volunteer.
Many people live long lives with many careers. She could decide to launch a career after her children are grown, lke the Duchess of Kent.

I don't think Kate being the queen can go off the grid like the Duchess of kent did. However, Kate's education will be put to use in the future as the BRF has a extensive art collection. Without the St. Andrews education, no one would know about Kate Middleton since she would have not met prince William.

I can't understand women criticizing other women. As a women myself , I chose to have a career but I have nothing but respect for women who stay at home and raise a family like my mom did. Women should have a choice.

I can't understand women criticizing other women. As a women myself , I chose to have a career but I have nothing but respect for women who stay at home and raise a family like my mom did. Women should have a choice.

Well as my mother used to say "you can always count on a woman to try and bring another woman down".

I'm a guy but I always thought women stood up for other women and was happy that something good and positive was happening in their lives.

I'm a guy but I always thought women stood up for other women and was happy that something good and positive was happening in their lives.

Sadly, this tends not to be the case.

Women often fight for the rights of women en mass and will defend each other against men, but amongst ourselves we tend to be all about tearing each other down.

There's the "joke" - a group of guys will great each other with insults and not mean it, while a group of women will great each other with compliments and not mean it.

That's terrible. I'm always proud to see another guy doing well. Whether it be him pursuing a career and succeeding, getting married and starting a family, traveling and exploring the world around him or whatever, I can't see myself knocking somebody's life when things are going good for them and they are happy. I may wish I had what he had or something but I can't spend my time on the computer putting someone down, spreading lies about them and just being cruel when that person haven't done anything wrong.

...amongst ourselves we tend to be all about tearing each other down.
So true. You should hear what some of the women directors around my office say about each other behind closed doors. I think each one has said the other got where she is by sleeping with their boss. I have never heard another male director make such a comment about a peer.

Sadly, this tends not to be the case.

Women often fight for the rights of women en mass and will defend each other against men, but amongst ourselves we tend to be all about tearing each other down.

There's the "joke" - a group of guys will great each other with insults and not mean it, while a group of women will great each other with compliments and not mean it.
Unfortunately this is true. Some of the nastiest comments are between the stay-at-home-mothers and return-to-work-mothers.;)

I haven't as yet read any real criticism of Kate ever deciding to be an at home mum (a huge an very important job IMO). I think the issue for some is that she did little whilst she was young (well, younger) unmarried and seemingly very able. I suspect it isn't what many of us would encourage our own daughters to do. Wait for a man the way Kate did. Or is it OK if it is such a man as a prince? Or a man of great fortune (heck, any fortune)?

The other contentious issue would be funding of lifestyle. Whilst she has not ever been reported of being a beneficiary of government assistance, she would, I think, have had to be dependent on someone else's income until she married. I don't imagine most part-time positions would afford her lifestyle. For many, at ages beyond the teenage stage, this is not seen as...well, decent. By that I mean, if one has a good education one has the responsibility to stop living off one's parents, or whomever. Perhaps that is not how she was raised and it is likely many are not likewise raised and find not actual issue with the way Kate lived. But I think a great many of us do and so we have the criticism you speak of. Although I understand some may be driven by jealousy, I don't accept all would be thus motivated (by jealousy). To many of us it is the common decency of making a contribution to self, family, community. Especially if one is give such great advantages and opportunities as Kate has had.

It is a lack of understanding for those who do not have the same mindset. I guess we may think those who do not seek to be independent and enabling themselves to start contribution ASAP as being selfish or lazy or both.

None of us wish any woman to forgo their freedom of choice, but we may disagree or criticize the choices made. Perhaps man are more likely to stay quiet in a social set, but certainly not in the political arena! In Kate's case, she is a public figure and many wish us to look up to her as a great example. This motivates many to make their opinions heard, especially so if they don't think her the ideal model they want to look up to (or even less so their children).

If you like Kate and don't find fault with her, that is fine and you should say it out loud but understand that those who do not can have their opinion stated too, and just as loudly. Now to have it all out in a cordial and respectful manner...that is the great challenge.:viking:

I like that Catherine decided to go out on her own and work at Jigsaw and then Party Pieces. She did what she wanted to do and I think that's great.

Now that Kate is about to give birth, I don't think anyone (even me) would criticize her for being home to take care of her family. I am not highly concerned with the choices of other women after they have kids or even marry well enough not to have to work. It's the ten year span of not leaving her comfort zone (family business) in case she might fail or, conversely, really like being her own woman, that makes me uneasy.

Currently, she is where she wants to be and that is just fine. Everyone alludes that Kate is a high achiever...I hope she doesn't get bored continually waiting for William.

:previous: Well, she doesn't have to wait for him anymore.;) I'm not sure why Kate's choices make you uneasy. She apparently didn't make the same choices you did, but I don't understand why that should bother you. Bottom line is that she did marry William, so who's to say the choices she made were bad or wrong?

It's the ten year span of not leaving her comfort zone (family business) in case she might fail or, conversely, really like being her own woman, that makes me uneasy.

Is there any sound basis for your suggestion that Kate worked for the family firm "in case she might fail" or, "conversely, really like being her own woman" was not on her agenda? Do you consider every body who works for a family business as one not wanting to leave the comfort zone or one afraid of failure?

No one would ever say that about a man working for the family business

Of course they wouldn't, but in this case it gives women another chance to bash a woman for the choices she made in her own life.

Many young people that have wealthy families do not work. And I can tell you that working for a family firm can be very difficult. Catherine chose what was right for her. If you do not want to look up to her or want your children to look up to her, then I would suggest that you turn off the computer and find someone local to look up too. Surely you have a Mother, Aunt, friend, school teacher, etc. in your neighborhood to use as a roll model.

I would say that about a man if he didn't do anything; but I was not talking about a "man", I was talking about Kate.
Is there any sound basis for your suggestion that Kate worked for the family firm "in case she might fail" or, "conversely, really like being her own woman" was not on her agenda? Do you consider every body who works for a family business as one not wanting to leave the comfort zone or one afraid of failure?
No I don't. I have a family business, several of my cousins have a family business and my mother has her own business. I think the difference between my family and Kate is that they actually work. No special treatment, no company cars, no extended vacations, etc.

I think the issue is that you and many others seem to assume that what you see is ALL there is. When Catherine was dating William we only saw her when she was either with William or in the evening. that probably amounts to c. 20% of her life.

Some of us understand this and do not assume she spent the remaining time twiddling her thumbs. She said that she knows she worked and so do the people that matter. I choose to believe her, you seemingly don't.

Sometimes there are privileges when working for a family company. It does not mean they're not working hard for the business. Some people do work hard and some fun on the side.

I believe Catherine also had a job when she was at university. When she left, she went on to work at Jigsaw.

Many young people that have wealthy families do not work. And I can tell you that working for a family firm can be very difficult. Catherine chose what was right for her. If you do not want to look up to her or want your children to look up to her, then I would suggest that you turn off the computer and find someone local to look up too. Surely you have a Mother, Aunt, friend, school teacher, etc. in your neighborhood to use as a roll model.

A roll model? She's a nice enough young woman, but I would not call her a roll model.

Catherine never asked to be a roll model. She fell in love with a young man and did what was right for herself. I suggest everyone give her that right. And they should do what is right for themselves.

It's okay to look up to royalty, Hollywood stars and other public figures as role models, just as long as you understand and even teach your children that these public figures are human just like everyone else. As humans, these public figures aren't going to do everything, say everything or wear everything that you will agree with and they will make their own mistakes. It's just what humans do.

Many on here may not see Catherine as a role model but she may just be a role model for several young girls out there. They may like her fashion, they may like her hair, beauty or that she married a prince, became a princess and now a future Queen. I think she meet many of her admires when she's out on her walkabouts on official engagements and those who write her.

Last edited:
The Spelling Grump feels compelled to speak: the words we are looking for are "role model." Only the Pillsbury Doughboy is a roll model.

As for Kate- she is close to her family, and she chose to work in their very successful business until she married. How can that be even remotely controversial?

God I hate people who criticize people for living their life how they like to. Catherine has never done anything to harm anyone and yet the knives are out to find any fault with. I find these people truly pathetic and really need to look at their own lives before criticizing other people. :whistling:

God I hate people who criticize people for living their life how they like to. Catherine has never done anything to harm anyone and yet the knives are out to find any fault with. I find these people truly pathetic and really need to look at their own lives before criticizing other people. :whistling:

What bert said:previous:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom