General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it was four, as Jonathan Winters passed away Thursday/Friday, but it would have been too late as this week's issue had already gone to the printers when that sad news broke. :sad: I am really surprised Annette's passing isn't the cover story, as it was People she chose as the magazine to let the World know about her MS.

I get the Cambridges' and the baby/baby bump is big right now for the celebrity "press", but this really saddens me.

I just read this issue.... Annette Funicello not included at all; probably they had gone to press already. Next issue is supposed to be most beautiful people (always a best seller) but she may make an inset.

The full list: Full List | TIME 100: The 100 Most Influential People in the World | TIME.com

Kate is listed in the 'Icon' section and is the only royal on the list that I can see.

An interesting assessment from Sally Bedell Smith for Time magazine. I've been enjoying her biography of The Queen lately. As an American I think she brings something a little different to the topic when compared with the usual British writers.

This is also in the Telegraph. It says an awful lot more about the mother who said this than Carole Middleton. Crass stuff

So, let me get this straight. This woman was intimidated because the Middleton children were too clean and presentable? Am I missing something?

Well exactly. I would be very surprised that any mother sending their child to Marlborough would find this to be intimidating. It is not exactly a state school in an economically depressed area.

Well exactly. I would be very surprised that any mother sending their child to Marlborough would find this to be intimidating. It is not exactly a state school in an economically depressed area.

It honestly sounds like the lady was trying to say something complimentary and it got taken out of context and twisted into something ridiculous.

I don't think it's uncommon for people to be self-deprecating while complimenting someone else. It sounded like she was just trying to say that the Middleton sisters were gorgeous and Carole was a very involved mother.

Honestly, if that's the worst the media can find on the Middletons, they really need to just give it up already. They've been trying to smear those people for ten years and still haven't come up with any dirt.

I went to a school that took private, state aided( on the grounds of religion) and boarders.

Every item of clothing had to have name tags - these were pre-ordered and stitched in; names were written onto other items, ie hockey boots; initials in house colours were also embroidered onto aertex shirts (to help PE teachers sort out house games).

It was normal stuff.

The woman who contributed to this article probably made a joke and the journalist created an "event" out of it. THe poor woman now has her head in her hands, is bright red (house colour??) and keeps saying - its was a joke; a joke; a joke. It has all the hallmarks of some crappy disgusting journalist taking an innocent woman for a ride.

It is awful. And I feel sorry for her if this is the case.

As for Carole Middleton. All the woman has done is:

- Work Hard
- Marry (and stay married) to the man she loves
- bring up 3 children as well as she is able
- instill self belief and pride in her children
- love and protect her children
- make money in partnership with her husband
- make a Prince feel at home and cherished

What the hell is wrong with any of that???

EDIT: Forgot to add- has never spoken to the press and has shown more discretion than a number of members of royalty and nobility. She should be commended.

Last edited:
I went to a school that took private, state aided( on the grounds of religion) and boarders.

Every item of clothing had to have name tags - these were pre-ordered and stitched in; names were written onto other items, ie hockey boots; initials in house colours were also embroidered onto aertex shirts (to help PE teachers sort out house games).

It was normal stuff.

The woman who contributed to this article probably made a joke and the journalist created an "event" out of it. THe poor woman now has her head in her hands, is bright red (house colour??) and keeps saying - its was a joke; a joke; a joke. It has all the hallmarks of some crappy disgusting journalist taking an innocent woman for a ride.

It is awful. And I feel sorry for her if this is the case.

As for Carole Middleton. All the woman has done is:

- Work Hard
- Marry (and stay married) to the man she loves
- bring up 3 children as well as she is able
- instill self belief and pride in her children
- love and protect her children
- make money in partnership with her husband
- make a Prince feel at home and cherished

What the hell is wrong with any of that???

I have always thought there was an element in envy involved in the dislike for Carole. As in "rats, we lost to her?" I think you are correct that she's a motivated, effective woman in all areas of her life and that she deserves respect for her accomplishments.

It's odd that other than the "Dad dresses up at Christmas" stories, no one ever talks about Michael - much less slam him. It must be OK for men to raise successful children ;)

The media and others have treated the Middleton's very unfairly for some time. I think it's a sport to some of them.

I think some people like to vent all their daily life anger onto the Duchess of Cambridge for some reason. As if she was born to be everyone's punching bag.

This woman completely misses the point of "feminism". What it did was enable women to have a choice, something that was lacking before.

What is was not supposed to be was individuals insisting that women follow a prescribed path. Joan Smith obviously has a view on what women should do with their lives and, in effect, is demanding that Catherine follow it or she is worthless.

This article is condescending rubbish.

Exactly!!! Sad to say but there are some women who claim to be feminists, but who seem to require other women to follow their "vision" or risk criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I was not going to say this but, I can truly say that both these women are extremely jealous of the Duchess. If the coin was flipped it would be a whole different story. Unfortunately their fairytale ending did not come, so what is left? Bashing others who have found happiness and found their Prince. So sad really, what a miserable life to live when you are a jealous, bitter person.

Look at those two,hags and I do mean hags!

I rest my case

It isn't as simple as jealousy. There are women more attractive and more powerful than Catherine that she could have a go at.

Smith is trying to say that Catherine is letting us all down because she hasn't had a career etc etc. It is about Smith's prescribed role for all women that Catherine is not following.

I think it's a form of bullying - "if you dont comply with my values, I will ridicule you in print".

LadyCatharine, you said what I was thinking but didnt say not wanting to face the firing squad. You are truly brave! :) And cepe you are right, it is a form of bullying. I mean really, who does she think she is? Her idea of what all women should be like or what makes a woman a woman is twisted. Maybe she can start a cult society or something where she can call the shots and play God. What a truly pitiful person she is. Poor dear.

Again, we have here a monumental over-reaction to something someone said that doesn't matter one whit.

Then again, being one of those women in the '70s who broke the "glass ceiling," it does sometimes seem that my pain and the pains of others clawing for choice has been forgotten. So be it...

It may be that Kate isn't suited for anything other than what she has chosen. In that case, good for her. I wouldn't presume to waste my time pondering what she could do. It does sometimes make me sad that she took someone's place in uni who would have actually used the education.

It does sometimes make me sad that she took someone's place in uni who would have actually used the education.

:lol:
This is amusing. Typically you of course. Catherine got a place in university because she earned it. You aren't provided to plan out your career in your chosen subject to get into university. Frankly if everyone had to do that nobody would get in because there aren't enough jobs for the graduates that come out of the UK educational system every year.

Again, we have here a monumental over-reaction to something someone said that doesn't matter one whit...
I too am one of those women - in my first interview, my future boss's comment prior to offering me the job was "I suppose there isn't any real reason why I can't employ a woman." And I went on to achieve a number of 1st's for women in my industry.

But that doesn't mean that I think badly of women who choose another path - your comment about "Kate not suited to anything other" is saying that if she didn't do as we did, she wasn't good enough to do it. You may not mean that but that is how it reads.

I firmly believe that feminism is about enabling women to make choices and not imposing a specific path.

EDIT: PS It is not overreaction to write a post - it is a response

I am merely saying that Kate had a number of years to do something, but chose not to make her own mark. I'm not putting her down, I'm simply stating my belief that if you want to do something, you will do it. Marriage to William seems to have been (up to now) her only goal. She has reached that goal and need not be concerned about other people's perceptions of her.

I said "It may be that Kate isn't suited for anything other than what she has chosen. In that case, good for her." Your condensation of my statement ""Kate not suited to anything other" is inaccurate.

If I remember it correctly she did have a few jobs. Problem was, one of these jobs was in the public sector and the press made life a bit hard for her. The other job was in her parents company and apparently that doesn't count. To me it seems really hard to get a job (while being in a relationship with someone from the BRF) that doesn't make you seems like you're benefitting from the BRF. A job that's good enough but doesn't put you in the spotlight.

The Duchess of Cambridge had a pretty good job at (Jigsaw) but she was hounded by the media on a regular bases and she then went on to work at her family business, Party Pieces. Catherine addressed her work in her engagement interview. She said:

"Well I think I know I've been working very hard for the family business, and sometimes those days are long days and you know I think if I know I'm working hard and I'm pulling my weight both work and playing hard at the same time, you know I think everyone who I work with can see I am there pulling my weight and that's really what matters to me."

No one can actually say that Catherine did nothing with her life but marry William. She may have not done what you may think she should've done but she did what she wanted to do with her life.

I think the criticism is totally unfair and unnecessary. I actually think the tabloids and their fodder is what caused a great deal of others to turn on Catherine.

Last edited:
...It does sometimes make me sad that she took someone's place in uni who would have actually used the education.
Actually those of us who followed your generation are grateful that we have the opportunity to choose from a variety of careers.

What galls me is when a few women feel it is necessary to criticize those who do not follow their prescribed paths. I've been criticized myself by women of that generation for "wasting" my education/career by choosing to stay at home and raise my children. Perhaps in their eyes I should have forfeited university years too. :whistling:

Kate like all women should have the freedom to choose their own course in life.

I agree that too often the media chooses to ignore the fact that she did work after her university years and that their intrusion made it difficult for her to commute and work. Diana and Sarah were facing similar photo gauntlets when the press discovered that they were involved with the Queen's sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom