General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure if this belongs on the 'Current Events' thread or not, so I'm posting it here. However, feel free to move if necessary.

A very nice article from 'The Sun'.

We've taken Kate to our hearts just like Princess Diana | The Sun |Woman

Lovely words from Arthur Edwards, one who actually HAS occasional inside access to the royals.

Also, I am glad this forum does not accept name-calling. I absolutely cannot tolerate it. That article from the Mail was not altogether bad, but the opening paragraphs disgust me for the unjust labeling (likely plucked from vile talkbacks) and unrealistic Kate vs Diana vs Camilla comparisons. Ridiculous, in my opinion.

What interests me from both articles (The Sun & DM), though, is that both mentioned that Kate will have a joint engagement with the Queen. Would be amazing, if true.

What interests me from both articles (The Sun & DM), though, is that both mentioned that Kate will have a joint engagement with the Queen. Would be amazing, if true.

I had the same thought- that was the only thing I found interesting about the DM article. I hope that it's true- and I bet if it is, it's in support of scouting.

Lovely words from Arthur Edwards, one who actually HAS occasional inside access to the royals.

Also, I am glad this forum does not accept name-calling. I absolutely cannot tolerate it. That article from the Mail was not altogether bad, but the opening paragraphs disgust me for the unjust labeling (likely plucked from vile talkbacks) and unrealistic Kate vs Diana vs Camilla comparisons. Ridiculous, in my opinion.

I really liked the article from 'The Sun' too. Very sincere, and no comparisons of any kind; just acknowledging Catherine for being herself and doing a marvelous job. A joint engagement with Her Majesty would be wonderful. Catherine can learn from the best.

I had the same thought- that was the only thing I found interesting about the DM article. I hope that it's true- and I bet if it is, it's in support of scouting.

I hope it's true as well. I'd love to see Her Majesty and Catherine work together. Catherine can learn a great deal from her grandmother-in-law.

Not really sure if this belongs on the 'Current Events' thread or not, so I'm posting it here. However, feel free to move if necessary.

A very nice article from 'The Sun'.

We’ve taken Kate to our hearts just like Princess Diana | The Sun |Woman

I don't quite understand this statement, would someone kindly explain what the jist of this statement is?

"Kate told me last year that when she was interviewed on TV in Denmark, her family watching back home took the mickey out of her plummy, "telephone-voice" accent."

Sometimes when people are talking on the phone or are publicly speaking they put on a different voice than when they are just casually talking to their friends or family. It's usually a more peppy or enthusiastic voice. It's usually not on purpose, it just happens. I've been accused of having a "phone-voice" too. I've also been accused of having a "praying voice".

Oh and "take the mickey out" means to tease.

I want to see this Denmark interview. Has anyone seen it?

Last edited:
Sometimes when people are talking on the phone or are publicly speaking they put on a different voice than when they are just casually talking to their friends or family. It's usually a more peppy or enthusiastic voice. It's usually not on purpose, it just happens. I've been accused of having a "phone-voice" too. I've also been accused of having a "praying voice".

Oh and "take the mickey out" means to tease.

I want to see this Denmark interview. Has anyone seen it?

Thank you, regardez. Was she using her "phone" voice during the interview hence her family was teasing her about her phone voice.

I presume the interview in Denmark they're talking about it the quick chat they had with the BBC while in Copenhagen at the UNICEF event.

Everyone has a 'phone voice'. It's just where we take a bit more care with our language and are more formal and correct. In much the same way, most people would speak to someone in authority in slightly different terms than they would with very close friends and family.

Thanks for those articles guys. Fun and interesting to read. Catherine has definitely come a long way. I found it interesting that she got a 2.1 in history of art class. I suppose maybe its different in the U.K. but graduating in the U.S. with a 2.1 means you are a C average student. But anyway, happy happy birthday to the Duchess of Cambridge! Wishing you the best year and many more to come.

LadyGabrielle said:
Thanks for those articles guys. Fun and interesting to read. Catherine has definitely come a long way. I found it interesting that she got a 2.1 in history of art class. I suppose maybe its different in the U.K. but graduating in the U.S. with a 2.1 means you are a C average student. But anyway, happy happy birthday to the Duchess of Cambridge! Wishing you the best year and many more to come.

That's not her GPA- it's the type of degree she has :)

Oh! I knew it had to be something different. Thank you for the clarification. I learned something new today. :)

Were there any official birthday portraits published to mark Catherine's birthday? Also, does anyone know who is being tasked to paint her first official portrait which I guess most be coming soon. I imagine the National Portrait Gallery are getting impatient.;)

Were there any official birthday portraits published to mark Catherine's birthday? Also, does anyone know who is being tasked to paint her first official portrait which I guess most be coming soon. I imagine the National Portrait Gallery are getting impatient.;)
What a wonderful idea! I'd love to see one!

No 'official' photos, I don't think we've even seen her.
Also, seeing as they aren't full time royals yet I don't see any portraits of Catherine on her own, nor with William for a while. The last portrait (for me that's a painted picture rather than a photograph) of William was one done with his brother 2 years ago by Nicky Phillips. Before that, there hadn't been a portrait of William done.

I would love to see Jonathan Yeo paint Kate. He's already painted:

Prince Philip

Viscount Linley

I think they'll probably go for a young female artist though.

I would love to see Jonathan Yeo paint Kate. He's already painted:

Prince Philip

Viscount Linley

I think they'll probably go for a young female artist though.

Thanks for sharing the pictures,they are very interesting and different than the standard royal portrays IMO.
But why having to chose,maybe Jonathan Yeo could make one portrait and next year another artists makes a different portrait of the Duchess?I always like when a painter has his/her own style and technique and having several portrays could show different aspects of the Duchess personality and show her in various activities.

Thanks Cinrit :) I think there's a good chance we might see a portrait soon particularly as the Duchess has started to accept patronages ( I'm thinking pics in the headquarters type of thing), but also if you are going to record her at key points in her life for posterity, her 30th year and first full year of Royal engagements seems right.

What would DM journalists write about if they couldn't write about themselves?

What's with female DM journalists lately?
Liz Jones is not turning into Kate; she is copying her outfits - and not very well too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom