General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just because Camilla wasn't in Scotland doesn't mean the Queen didn't invite William and Catherine.

It has been reported for weeks the Cambridges would be spending the 9th with HM and the Duke of Edinburgh

Not just the tabloids either. The Telegraph ran the story and then on Tuesday the BBC confirmed the Cambridges arrived at Balmoral.

The Queen and nearly her entire family were engaged in royal duties today and yet some want to believe this story that the Queen chose to spend her 'special day" with William.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Too funny. Why do you think the Queen wouldn't want to spend the day with W&K and Prince George and Princess Charlotte?

They are at Balmoral. I know you don't like them but William and his children are her blood family. Three of her direct heirs.

Camilla's only tie to the family is her marriage to Charles.

Last edited:
William began his job on July 13th.

If he has 4 days off and 4 days on then William was scheduled to work on the 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th.

These stories had him in Scotland before the Braemar games
Which makes sense since his days off would have been the 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th.

Unless he took a week vacation after only working 8 weeks.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

The BBC said the Cambridges arrived at Balmoral on Tuesday. Not before the Braemar games.

You'll just have to accept the Queen loves William and his family.

I think for the most part, the media and the public has put too much emphasis on the Cambridges being at Balmoral at the same time as the September 9th milestone. If I were to do some real sleuthing, I bet my last bowl of macaroni and cheese that during the Queen's annual hiatus in Scotland, most all of the royal family makes their way up there for quality family time and this year is no exception. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this year George gets introduced into the fine art of fishing on the River Dee with great Grandpa or taking the corgis for a walk with Granny and all the things that families do together.

With the Queen herself expressing that she didn't want a big fuss made over this milestone and that she preferred to honor it by business as usual, her time in Scotland is her own for the most part and what better way to enjoy it than with family. With the BRF's hectic diary of duties and engagments, the summers at Balmoral and the holiday breaks at Sandringham is perhaps the only time they really find to just be a family privately and its a precious commodity for them.

William began his job on July 13th.

If he has 4 days off and 4 days on then William was scheduled to work on the 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th.

These stories had him in Scotland before the Braemar games
Which makes sense since his days off would have been the 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th.

Unless he took a week vacation after only working 8 weeks.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

That may not be the case though with EAAA. From experience of a husband that worked in medical transport, his schedule was drawn up in advance for an entire month and the coordinator making up the schedules took into consideration the days a staff member may request to have off (wedding, vacation, doctor's appointments and hockey playoff games) and work around them. For example, as we don't celebrate Christmas, hubby would notate that he would be available for those days and staff members that do celebrate had a better chance of being with family. We have no clue actually what Will's actual schedule at EAAA is or how it is drawn up.

I do seriously think that we're seeing the Cambridges in Scotland for just a few days and it was penciled in Will's schedule quite a bit in advance.

Its all good! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for the most part, the media and the public has put too much emphasis on the Cambridges being at Balmoral at the same time as the September 9th milestone.

And I think some people purposely try to downplay it because it doesn't fit their particular narrative of the Cambridges.

If people want to say its coincidence that W&K just happened to be at Balmoral on the 9th that's fine.

Its been reported though that the Queen specifically invited them to begin their vacation at that time. Either way William and Catherine, George and Charlotte are at Balmoral and enjoying time with the Queen.

And I think some people purposely try to downplay it because it doesn't fit their particular narrative of the Cambridges.

If people want to say its coincidence that W&K just happened to be at Balmoral on the 9th that's fine.

Its been reported though that the Queen specifically invited them to begin their vacation at that time. Either way William and Catherine, George and Charlotte are at Balmoral and enjoying time with the Queen.

That, I think, is the most important part. Also, I also believe that nothing the BRF does is by coincidence. These people are masters of planning things.

Interesting conversations on Richard Palmer's Twitter page.

Richard Talking about Kensington Palace Press office.

'Everything that the Kensington Palace Press Office does at the moment seems either calculated to offend the Press or just incompetent.'

'And the point I'm making is that the Cambridges risk the story changing from positive to negative.'

'Yes, and it's the actions of the Cambridges and their press office that I think risks changing their narrative'.

'I think they believe they don't need the Press. Will's the most popular royal for now so maybe not now.'

'I'm not sure about their policy but they've lost most of the reporters, photographers and news editors.'

Chat about how Andrew was once the Golden Boy war hero and how Charles was once perceived as pampered.

Palmer talking about the Cambridges.

'In the absence of a new love story for Harry I believe the narrative about the Cambridges might change eventually.'

'At the moment editors still believe Kate sells copies but I think journalists believe the public wants a new story.'

'I think the Cambridges are popular but believe the UK public (as opposed to royal fans) is getting a bit bored of the storyline.'

'I think the media is looking for a new storyline in the royal soap opera and the Cambridges risk eventually becoming baddies.'

'All I can tell you is that I have not heard a journalist have a good word to say about the Cambridges for some time.'

'Rightly or wrongly editors believe she (Kate) sells papers, but there is little respect for the Cambridges right now.'

'Yes, I'm serious about the narrative changing, the way they are going.'

'I bought their story about wanting to live a normal life early on and it is still soon after the birth of their second child but...it is starting to smack now of wanting to have their cake and eat it, I think'

Last edited:
Richard Palmer has been on a weird sour grapes kick for a long time now. This almost reads like a veiled threat- give us more access or we'll start writing nasty things about you.

I no longer believe he should be working the royal beat.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Richard Palmer has been on a weird sour grapes kick for a long time now. This almost reads like a veiled threat- give us more access or we'll start writing nasty things about you.

I no longer believe he should be working the royal beat.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree a bit.. But I think he has a point as well. The KP press office seem to have annoyed many of the media people (that are not as outspoken as richard but favourite and comment his posts and seem to agree with him). I mean... they are shooting themself in the foot by annoying the media. I thought things might change when they changed their PR person and some things were done better (the birth etc) but others as bad... It's so annoying! PR is a hard buissness but some mistakes they make seem like such rookie mistakes!

However, a letter was sent from the Cambridges/ KP Press office stating that if press photographers photograph the Cambridges at private occasions like weddings then their accreditation will be pulled for official royal events. Would that not also be considered a threat, veiled or otherwise?

Richard is losing the plot. He is the only reporter on Twitter who has such an obsession with William and Kate. No one else rants on about them.

And to think his latest meltdown started over a tweet.

He was talking on Twitter about how William and Kate's narrative might be changing because there is a bad relationship between KP/ the Cambridges and the British Press with consequent disillusion of journalists.

I think it's best for ALL royals to keep the British Press onside if they can!

Richard is losing the plot. He is the only reporter on Twitter who has such an obsession with William and Kate. No one else rants on about them.

And to think his latest meltdown started over a tweet.

The twitter discussion started because KP issued a tweet about a new engagement for William but have not issued a press release.

I think that this is a valid comment because it has changed the normal communication lines which ensure that the info is valid. I also think that it is unprofessional for a royal press office to do this. Let's hope that its a one off and/or they never get hacked.

Richard does have strong views and I certainly don't always agree with him but he is entitled to his view and he is open about his opinion. It does give another insight into the royal press office and the world of journalist versus editor which seems to sometimes be quite fraught.

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

Palmer complained because KP announced an upcoming engagement for William with a tweet without informing the press.

If they informed the press say 10 minutes before they tweeted the engagement, what would be the odds that the various Royal correspondents who got advanced notice wouldn't turn around the second the get the email and tweet it themselves? 100 % I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Do they even have wifi at Balmoral or does William has to hit the moors to get a cell signal to tweet? ?

If the press had the information about the engagement beforehand. What could they do with other than tweet it out themselves? The news that William is going to visit a school in a week isn't something that you can right an article about.

No other reporter on Twitter mentioned it. Only Palmer has a breakdown over a single tweet.

He has an unhealthy obsession with William and Kate.

I think this has to do with how he expressed his frustration. I saw the tweets he posted, and I felt he was a little too upset. While we all have the right to our views, feelings, and opinions, it would behoove those in the public eye to conduct themselves a little more professionally. Mr. Palmer could have said something like 'I'm surprised that There was no press release about the engagement', and left it there. Instead, he chose to throw a bit of a fit. It's not professional no matter what the reason for his outburst was.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

We live in a rapidly changing world and with those changes, things that once were the sole medium for information sometimes have to take a back seat. Newsreels at the movie theaters replaced radio broadcasts in popularity for international news. TV replaced both radio and newsreels in popularity and down the line, global news channels replaced local broadcasts. Now with the social media available, more information is passed on instantly whereas it used to be the press that was relied upon.

I can understand Palmer's side of all this as being a royal reporter is his bread and butter and has been for a very long time but on the other hand, I can see William and Kate's preference for a KP release over Twitter does give more validity to the statement and its closer to "coming from the horse's mouth itself". There will still be the need for royal reporters to write about and put their own slant on events and the royals themselves, but I do think that the KP to Twitter releases are also good as this is from the Cambridges' staff directly to the people.

One thing that occurred to me is that with the Twitter releases, people may start seeing press articles with "a source close to the palace" and "someone high up in KP staff" and "close friend of XXX" as what they really are, pure speculation rather than fact.

Interesting conversations on Richard Palmer's Twitter page.

Richard Talking about Kensington Palace Press office.

'Everything that the Kensington Palace Press Office does at the moment seems either calculated to offend the Press or just incompetent.'

'And the point I'm making is that the Cambridges risk the story changing from positive to negative.'

'Yes, and it's the actions of the Cambridges and their press office that I think risks changing their narrative'.

'I think they believe they don't need the Press. Will's the most popular royal for now so maybe not now.'

'I'm not sure about their policy but they've lost most of the reporters, photographers and news editors.'

Chat about how Andrew was once the Golden Boy war hero and how Charles was once perceived as pampered.

Palmer talking about the Cambridges.

'In the absence of a new love story for Harry I believe the narrative about the Cambridges might change eventually.'

'At the moment editors still believe Kate sells copies but I think journalists believe the public wants a new story.'

'I think the Cambridges are popular but believe the UK public (as opposed to royal fans) is getting a bit bored of the storyline.'

'I think the media is looking for a new storyline in the royal soap opera and the Cambridges risk eventually becoming baddies.'

'All I can tell you is that I have not heard a journalist have a good word to say about the Cambridges for some time.'

'Rightly or wrongly editors believe she (Kate) sells papers, but there is little respect for the Cambridges right now.'

'Yes, I'm serious about the narrative changing, the way they are going.'

'I bought their story about wanting to live a normal life early on and it is still soon after the birth of their second child but...it is starting to smack now of wanting to have their cake and eat it, I think'
This guy Richard could benefit from a career change.

How is the KP press dept screwing any one over? Harry has been out of the country for most of the year. William and Kate did one engagement after early June. There hasn't been anything going on except William flying his helicopter, Harry darting Lions and Kate changing Charlotte's diapers.

What are the press complaining about the use of pool photographers for the christening, asking the paps stop staking out a two year old from the trunk of a car or tweeting a photo of George and Charlotte instead of giving it to the papers? That's basically all that happened this summer.

How is the KP press dept screwing any one over? Harry has been out of the country for most of the year. William and Kate did one engagement after early June. There hasn't been anything going on except William flying his helicopter, Harry darting Lions and Kate changing Charlotte's diapers.

What are the press complaining about the use of pool photographers for the christening, asking the paps stop staking out a two year old from the trunk of a car or tweeting a photo of George and Charlotte instead of giving it to the papers? That's basically all that happened this summer.

That's about it.

Rudolph does have a point. Richard Palmer hasn't clicked in that the good old days of Diana are over. There will be no first hand scoops from the Cambridges like he got back then. That's the reason he rants and loses it the way he does, which only makes him come across as a spoiled brat who just got told No for the first time, and does him far more damage than it does William and Kate IMO.

Also a Royal Reporter who publicly threatens to write nasty stories about the very subjects that provide him w/his livelihood? There's a term for that : Professional Suicide. Does he really think there isn't someone in the Household checking Twitter for stuff like that, because I'm sure there is and making notes too. Talk about stupid!!

You've got a guy who lost his Mother due to Paps chasing her and now are stalking his Son just for a picture of him, so why is it a surprise to anyone William's attitude to the Press is what it appears to be? I don't agree w/how the KP Press Office handles things, but how much of that is William wanting to have as little to do w/the Press as possible? Do I agree w/it? No, as it's very much biting the hand that feeds you. I do understand it some what though.

Factor in someone like Richard Kay and...*shudder*

Last edited:
Rudolph does have a point. Richard Kay hasn't clicked in that the good old days of Diana are over. There will be no first hand scoops from the Cambridges like he got back then. That's the reason he rants and loses it the way he does, which only makes him come across as a spoiled brat who just got told No for the first time, and does him far more damage than it does William and Kate IMO.

Also a Royal Reporter who publicly threatens to write nasty stories about the very subjects that provide him w/his livelihood? There's a term for that : Professional Suicide. Does he really think there isn't someone in the Household checking Twitter for stuff like that, because I'm sure there is and making notes too. Talk about stupid!!

You've got a guy who lost his Mother due to Paps chasing her and now are stalking his Son just for a picture of him, so why is it a surprise to anyone William's attitude to the Press is what it appears to be? I don't agree w/how the KP Press Office handles things, but how much of that is William wanting to have as little to do w/the Press as possible? Do I agree w/it? No, as it's very much biting the hand that feeds you. I do understand it some what though.

Factor in someone like Richard Kay and...*shudder*

I think you have confused Richard Kay and Richard Palmer. Kay is the Diana link; Palmer is not. The discussion on here has been about Richard Palmer

Palmer either has delusions of grandeur or he's full of wind. He talks in broad sweeping statements without any detail.

He thinks the popularity of the royals depends on the press 'narrative' Like the public are zombies.

At the end of the day the royals serve the public not the newspapers.

This is the man who didn't know Kate is a princess. I'm not really sure how much his insights are worth. But if I were him I'd start writing nasty articles and maybe throw in something about the Middletons. Bring down the monarchy

I think he's upset because William is popular.
The BRF Website states;
On the occasion of his marriage, The Queen conferred a Dukedom on Prince William of Wales.

The Duke received the titles of Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus.

As a result, Miss Catherine Middleton became Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus.HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, etc.
So, no princess until or if Prince Harry marries and his wife would then become Princess Harry or Henry!

At to William being popular, by what measure. Certainly not enough for a Journalist to have a tantrum. The BRF itself is more popular than it has been for decades and it's not even or just William and Catherine driving that wave. The link below measures popularity in a very interesting and technical way. Well worth the read.

Battle Royale: Who’s the Most Popular British Royal? - Speakeasy - WSJ

I do NOT like people insinuating he needs to have a disorder for him to get a bit annoyed! I might not agree fully with him but it's offensive! I can see why he can be a bit tense sometimes! He's working for a paper that isn't going very well for, in a time where magazines are getting less and less importance, covering (mostly) a couple that isn't seen much. I can understand if he's on edge! That doesn't mean that he mightn't have a point. I don't think it's as tense as he is insinuating, but many of his posts have been commented (a bit milder and half-jokingly) on by his collegues (other reporters, photographers etc) and they seem to think the same as him, if maybe not as much as him! So I think there IS a problem between the media and the PR departemnt.
Twitter is fine if you follow twitter, however if you rely on twitter to give notice of an engagement in 15 minutes, there is little chance of having media coverage there on time. But such a stunt will inevitably come back to bite them in the ass when they want the media to cover something important.

For good or ill the BRF serve at the will of the people and people are fickle. You only have to look back to the dark days when a beloved Queen became a most unpopular Queen within a matter of 24 hours.

Prince William can pretend he is "ordinary" as much as he likes, right up to when someone takes his crown away. His cranky behaviour toward the press is certainly more cause for concern than a reporter venting because Palmer is not the only voice.

Last edited:

With today's technology, the press isn't that necessary. Kate is the only royal that would guarantee press coverage of an engagement. If they wanted they could expand their online presence and talk directly to the people bypassing the press. They already put the speeches up. It would be easy to put more videos and pictures, summaries covering past engagements, tweeting engagements( remember how good the person tweeting for the NZ GG was on tour), behind the scenes tours all kinds of stuff. Put a go pro on lupo like the White House did for Obama's dog and W's dog.

Not a single British newspaper has a subscription of over 2 million. Just 5 years ago the Sun had just over 3 million daily subscribers. Now 1.9 million. The medium just doesn't have the influence it once did. In fact its dying.

The royals or any organisation shouldn't be beholden to press barons like Desmond or Murdoch.

Its a shame Palmer is going out on such a low note.

KP isn't tweeting about an engagement 15 minutes before. The engagement they tweeted today is for Sept 21. The tweets for Kate's on the 17th and Harry's on the 15th were about two weeks out.

They also 559K followers compared to the 31.4 K that Richard Palmer has. CH's Twitter has 488K followers and British Monarchy has 1.26 Million followers. Tweeting isnt going away anytime soon. It's only going to be embraced more.

There will be 17.1 million Twitter users in the UK by the end of 2018, accounting for 25.8% of Brits.

Palmer is on the wrong end of the stick. What I find hilarious is he takes to Twitter to complain about KP using twitter. Its good for a laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom