General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Lord! What's next? They'd better put up a fence and wires...

^^^ Some background. An article from 2009. The position of the Royal Family has been crystal clear long before William and Kate got married.

The new get-tough approach has the full support of the Prince of Wales, Prince William, Prince Harry and other senior members of the Royal family, who are now prepared to take legal action against what they see as the "intrusive and unacceptable behaviour" of photographers.

The new strategy is likely to be tested later this month when the Queen, accompanied by other members of the Royal family, enjoys her traditional Christmas break at Sandringham, her Norfolk estate.

Several freelance photographers usually spend many hours a day touring Sandringham in the hope of "snatching" photographs of the Royal family on the estate.

However, senior aides at both Buckingham Palace and Clarence House have told The Sunday Telegraph that they will no longer tolerate photographers using telephoto lenses to capture pictures of the Royal family in "private" situations.

Until now, the Royal family has, reluctantly, turned a blind eye to such photographs provided they were taken from public roads and they did not involve trespass on private land.
More: The Queen gets tough on paparazzi in royal privacy row - Telegraph

Last edited:
:previous: Yes I know. But why was this warning got out again? It is obvious that now with the new arrival the media are more focus on them and won't leave them for a while, as it was on George's birth. But I think they won't transpass! The didn't even managed to do that at the Middleton's house, when the couple was staying there in the summer of 2013. And I bet the security is much higher at Anmer that it was in Bucklebury!:whistling:

Good for her! If she can't enforce "Keep off the grass and don't peep in the windows" on her own estate, then it is time to just chuck it and hand over running the country to the press. See how well that works. LOL.

I would hope all the royals privacy on the estates will be respected.

So on Channel 4 this morning, the newsreader said "The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall have retreated to Norfolk after the birth of their baby. William and Catherine are going to stay at Anmer Hall on Prince Charles' sandringham estate".

I was flabbergasted.

If only the BRF would release the occasional pictures like the Swedes do with Estelle and Lenore. It would help a lot.

If only the BRF would release the occasional pictures like the Swedes do with Estelle and Lenore. It would help a lot.

Well, it would make a lot of people happy. I personally believe that Victoria and William hold very different opinions on the public role their children should play in the PR of their monarchies. I think they have very different views developed in their own childhoods. JMO.

Yes I agree. Although it won't stop some elements of the Press from their determination to get an "off duty" pic, I do think there needs to be a little more allowance for the public thirst for regular updates on the Cambridges. I think the "official" Press in this country have towed the line pretty well - it is a silly situation when photos of Kate with George at an animal centre appear freely in other countries. If they were to release a few more pics of the family, it would keep everyone happy.

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised that William chose to bring George to see baby Charlotte publicly. Since George left the hospital without public notice, William could have handled the situation differently. Or not brought George at all since they left a few hours later anyway.

William has to deal with the image of his mother being chased to her death by paps.

William has to deal with the image of his mother being chased to her death by paps.

Exactly.

It really doesn't matter how other royal families do things...the interest in the BRF is generally much higher/more intense....and William, who already wasn't a big fan of the press before Diana's death, certainly didn't warm up to them after her death and then they took those pics of Kate in France.

I think we are lucky he even allowed George to be shown going into the hospital. I have a feeling that he is not going to allow more press contact than he absolutely has to...and who can blame him?

LaRae

Last edited:

Don't understand your point.

If the BRF was more open with the press, like the European royals they would have so much less hassle from them in general. It would make everyone's life a lot easier.

Well, it would make a lot of people happy. I personally believe that Victoria and William hold very different opinions on the public role their children should play in the PR of their monarchies. I think they have very different views developed in their own childhoods. JMO.

So very true. And it's so unfortunate that Williams experiences are so bad.

I think it's a lot easier to grow up as a royal in Sweden, or anywhere else, than it is in Britain.

Also, the British royals don't hold annual family photocalls either (outside of the usual Trooping of the Colour and Christmas). The Wales family stopped going to Easter Service at Windsor during the mid 90's, so the whole family isn't pictured there. The British royals don't vacation with each other, as other royal houses do.

The British royals do so many things differently that I sometimes think the balance of appearances should be re-worked a bit.

Exactly.

It really doesn't matter how other royal families do things...the interest in the BRF is generally much higher/more intense....and William, who already wasn't a big fan of the press before Diana's death, certainly didn't warm up to them after her death and then they took those pics of Kate in France.

I think we are lucky he even allowed George to be shown going into the hospital. I have a feeling that he is not going to allow more press contact than he absolutely has to...and who can blame him?

LaRae

You are so right! and I know that Maxima goes to Argentina more often that it is publish so when the royals wants something private they know how to do it. ! but several people mention here, they get anuals photoshoot and keep the press happy wich British do not do!

You are so right! and I know that Maxima goes to Argentina more often that it is publish so when the royals wants something private they know how to do it. ! but several people mention here, they get anuals photoshoot and keep the press happy wich British do not do!

I think it would be great for the British royals to do annual photoshoots. They used release official photos or portraits, especially for royal tours, on a regular bases, but it stopped in the 90's.

Providing more 'posed' pictures would make no difference whatsoever - Charles tried that with William and Harry and it didn't really work. Remember all those awkward photoshoots on skiing holidays and at Balmoral? I don't think it made any appreciable difference at all.

The BRF aren't just followed by press from the UK, they're followed by press from all over the world who will simply never be satisfied. Comparing the levels of media interest to just about any other RF is pointless - for the BRF it's just on another level.

I personally think that the release to the press was a great idea and a good reminder that the least the press can give the family (any member of the royal family) privacy on their private grounds/homes.

I do like the way that some of the other royal families do annual photoshoots and I always look forward to them. But the relationship between the BRF and the media (domestic and overseas) is somewhat more intense (for want of a better phrase) than with other royal families.

There has to be some control and the only way to manage that is for the control to come from the BRF themselves. It's a shame but there you have it, I can't see it changing.

I do like the way that some of the other royal families do annual photoshoots and I always look forward to them. But the relationship between the BRF and the media (domestic and overseas) is somewhat more intense (for want of a better phrase) than with other royal families.

There has to be some control and the only way to manage that is for the control to come from the BRF themselves. It's a shame but there you have it, I can't see it changing.

I think if the media respects their privacy the royal family would deb more willing to sit for photoshoots etc. But it's sad to see that the press isn't willing to do so. The BRF is one of the most followed royal families therefore no wonder the press try anything for a picture.

Don't understand your point.

If the BRF was more open with the press, like the European royals they would have so much less hassle from them in general. It would make everyone's life a lot easier.

Your point is valid, but what's not to understand about William maybe being completely traumatized by the press, given the circumstances of his mother's death?

This is like not understanding why someone who lost an arm to a surgical complication might be afraid of another hospital stay.

I actually think the relationship between the British royals and media are starting to heal. The previous pictures of Prince George released by Kensington Palace, was said to be done to thank the media for respecting the Cambridge's privacy. Also, it helps that the royals legal steps have made it known that invasion of their privacy won't be tolerated. Things have changed since the days of when the Wales's were hounded by the media.

Your point is valid, but what's not to understand about William maybe being completely traumatized by the press, given the circumstances of his mother's death?

This is like not understanding why someone who lost an arm to a surgical complication might be afraid of another hospital stay.

I think William's professional relationship with the media has improved a bit. Of course he was rightfully upset over the private pictures of he and Catherine's french vacation, but since then, things seems to have gone okay for them. I think he's slowly coming around to understand that he's a future King and his family public appearances matter. The other European royals understand that, but William is coming around to it.

Last edited:
Its not just William though that has this attitude towards the press. The British press had it all at one time and it abused the Royals. Hacked their phones and chased them down the street. The Royals don't owe the press anything.

William and Kate are the focus of attention right now but don't think for a minute Harry won't be just as protective of his family when the time comes.

I think it's a lot easier to grow up as a royal in Sweden, or anywhere else, than it is in Britain.
I wholeheartedly agree.:)

I personally think that the release to the press was a great idea and a good reminder that the least the press can give the family (any member of the royal family) privacy on their private grounds/homes.
Yes. Unless you remind the press that you expect privacy when at your own home they are not likely to follow those requests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Unless you remind the press that you expect privacy when at your own home they are not likely to follow those requests.

Yes, I think it was a good thing just to remind the press to respect the royals privacy on the royal estates. Now, that being said, it's up to the royals to give a little. Next, we'll get an official picture of Princess Charlotte, and a family picture. It have to be a give and take situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom