General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I see it. If a child is old enough to know and understand Christmas morning as the time when Santa has been there and is excited about what will be under the tree, the child is old enough to also learn what the reason for the season is about too. Some things are instilled in a child from a very early age and I would imagine that Christian parents would begin teaching their children why Christmas is celebrated. If a child has just even an inkling of "Jesus' birthday", going to church to celebrate that makes sense to me.

Its not really about sitting through a service or being old enough to act very maturely for a while but about participating as a family in something that is why there is the holiday in the first place.

Last edited:
It may also be the case that the Cambridges are trying to see IF the children are capable to sit out a full service. They may end up concluding that 'yes, they can' or 'ok, G's big enough, we will leave C at home next time'.

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

Walking a short walk from the car to the door of the Buckleberry church is a little bit different than a longer walk from Sandringham filled with spectators.

We don't really know how they behaved inside because we didn't see them inside the church

Maybe Charlotte won't attend, but at least we know that it's possible for them to attend. We don't have sit around and wait until they're eight or 32 to attend. Kids are different from each other. Some kids at this age wouldn't be able to attend church. Look how nice George and Charlotte behaved at their first church outing.

But once again it's not an equal comparison. Firstly, we don't know how George and Charlotte behaved in the church, we only saw them briefly outside. Secondly, at this Christmas all they had to do was walk 20 feet from their car to church, and they were amongst close-family members. It was a very quiet and quick procession.

Sandringham, is a different can of worms. It's a lengthy hike to the Church from the home, hence the Queen is usually driven. They are surrounded by hundreds(thousands?) of people on the sidelines, some cheering and yelling, others waving signs. They would be walking amongst a big gathering of extended BRF family members, some they likely don't know well. Then after a church service where they were expected to sit still, and not say a peep, they will have re-hike home. But before that, their parents will leave their side to go greet strangers, shake hands, give high-fives, and accept flowers. They will be left standing there, by themselves, and hopefully on their best behavior, after all it would be risky for them to wonder off, or to chase after their parents and get too close to the crowds, and then get scared when the crowd of strangers start to yell their name in excitement, and stick their arms out for a touch.

You say a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old can handle it. I disagree, and HM seems to disagree too, as we don't see the younger royals at Christmas services until they are school age.

It is possible the kids Gould arrive by car, to Avoid the crowds and walk. The queen isn't the only one who can drive.

But that said I agree, likely not until a bit older. Perhaps we will see George next Christmas. He will be near Isla is now in age. And will be able to undestand a bit as well. Charlotte is a bit young, even if she can sit through service. I guess I am used to church where the kids go off to Sunday school or nursery fir service until a bit older.

Hopefully in a few years years we will see them on the walk :flowers:

And if they drove. All the people would complain about not seeing them.

The Cambridge's did take the walk to church for Charlotte's Christening. George did very well, but Charlotte was driven in a carriage. She was a baby of course.

All I'm pointing out that is now possible for the kids to join the family at the church service. I know some may be ignoring it, but Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret did attend church early on with the family. They even attended their grandparents Jubilee service at St. Paul's. The late King and Queen took their young daughters to many events.

The Cambridge's did take the walk to church for Charlotte's Christening. George did very well, but Charlotte was driven in a carriage. She was a baby of course.

All I'm pointing out that is now possible for the kids to join the family at the church service. I know some may be ignoring it, but Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret did attend church early on with the family. They even attended their grandparents Jubilee service at St. Paul's. The late King and Queen took their young daughters to many events.

1. Again you are making an unequal comparison, talking about a Christening service where the baby is the focal point and equating it to a Christmas service where the children shouldn't be the center of attention. Also, I seem to remember young George having a tantrum at his sister's Christening where he had to be taken to the side of the church to collect himself. And then after the service while walking he got so confused and overwhelmed by the crowds that William had to carry him the rest of the way home. Also, I don't remember William or Catherine stopping to greet the crowds and accept flowers, like they would be obligated to do after Christmas service.

2. To me it's telling that you have to go back 85 years, to try and support your view. To a time before walkabouts were routine and expected. Look at the Queen's coronation, she deemed 4 1/2 year-old Charles old enough to attend, but Anne who was almost 3, was deemed too young and didn't make an appearance until the balcony. The Queen has had her precedent for a longtime.

This must be a record for a Cambridge family thread. People are already complaining about Christmas Day 2017.

Wouldn't it be nice to just enjoy today's unexpected pics. We have the entire new year to criticise the family for every little thing they do.

Amen Rudolph. Very glad to see pics of them today.

LaRae

The photographs of the Cambridge family going to church with the Middletons were a lovely Christmas morning treat. As to what will happen a year from now, how about we wait and see? No use speculating and arguing over something that's a while away at this point. William and Catherine know what is expected, but they also know better than any of us what their children are like. They will make a choice that is best for their children when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

1. Again you are making an unequal comparison, talking about a Christening service where the baby is the focal point and equating it to a Christmas service where the children shouldn't be the center of attention. Also, I seem to remember young George having a tantrum at his sister's Christening where he had to be taken to the side of the church to collect himself. And then after the service while walking he got so confused and overwhelmed by the crowds that William had to carry him the rest of the way home. Also, I don't remember William or Catherine stopping to greet the crowds and accept flowers, like they would be obligated to do after Christmas service.

2. To me it's telling that you have to go back 85 years, to try and support your view. To a time before walkabouts were routine and expected. Look at the Queen's coronation, she deemed 4 1/2 year-old Charles old enough to attend, but Anne who was almost 3, was deemed too young and didn't make an appearance until the balcony. The Queen has had her precedent for a longtime.

The point is they went as a family and had a good time. The church still stands without a fire. William and Catherine are careful and the kids wouldn't have been there if they couldn't handle it.

I like that we got these pictures. Also good to see James there with Pippa. Their big day is coming up soon.

Last edited:
Please note that several bickering posts have been deleted tat add nothing to the discussion. Lets move on back to the topic of the thread.

No surprise. The Cambridge family Christmas proved very popular with the press.

Catherine and Charlotte made the front page of The Mirror.

George made the front page of The Times.

George made the front page of The Telegraph.

Catherine and Charlotte made the front page of The Sun.

Catherine, Charlotte and George made the front page of The Daily Mail.

George and Charlotte made the front page of The Express.

Last edited:
The Cambridge family look very relaxed and happy. I have to commend William for "going against the Royal grain" by spending Christmas with his in-laws. It shows the admiration, love and affection for his wife and her family.

Many expect that he would strictly follow Royal Christmas tradition and protocol, but it seems William and Catherine want to set their own, which is refreshing. Beautiful photos and family

Very good idea to have them experience a toned down public ch ristmas service. The ch ildren look beautifully dressed as usual, it must be warm there today, no hats.

No surprise. The Cambridge family Christmas proved very popular with the press.

Catherine and Charlotte made the front page of The Mirror.

George made the front page of The Times.

George made the front page of The Telegraph.

Catherine and Charlotte made the front page of The Sun.

Catherine, Charlotte and George made the front page of The Daily Mail.

George and Charlotte made the front page of The Express.
OK I scanned this comment a few times looking for William's name, hopefully Will is not his father's son.

George and his candy cane. :wub:

Charlotte usually looks like Will 2.0 to me but in today's photos I can't put my finger on who she resembles, I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue, so to speak. :ermm:

Queen Claude...from the nose up she's Carole. From the nose down she's the Queen.

LaRae

For me Charlotte is a spitting image of the Queen. Mouth, expression, jaw, all. It is impressive how hereditary characteristics can jump over 2 generations and come back identical after.

Not at all surprised to see George and Charlotte attend the Christmas service, just two of probably several children there. But it is a different situation to Sandringham, everone knows that, so (and only an assumption that they will be there!) I wouldn't expect to see Charlotte (maybe or maybe not George) next year.
Charlotte is a bit of a scallywag from the little we have seen of her. One of the great video pieces shared in this thread shows her shaking loose of Kate's hand as they make their way out, then making off in a different direction entirely from the rest of them before Kate catches her and lifts her up!
We might be amused, but I imagine the Queen would hold a different view - only when you can behave as a member of the RF, can you attend.
The candycane touch is lovely, suspect there was a jar of them in the porch so one for all the little peeps as they head off.

This one picture with George walking and holding onto his daddy's hand and the first thing that came to mind with that one is George reminds me very much of his Grandma Diana by the facial expression and the eyes.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/25/10/3B9FF30600000578-4064832-image-a-15_1482662929136.jpg

I immediately noticed it too! But I thought that he resemles his daddy a lot with such expression.
Genes are genes.. even if George is almost a copy of grandpa Michael he still has something from all close relatives.

For me Charlotte is a spitting image of the Queen. Mouth, expression, jaw, all. It is impressive how hereditary characteristics can jump over 2 generations and come back identical after.

I beleive she's more like Carol. Her Majesty was a bit more round-faced in her childhood.

Last edited:
George reminds me of William and Michael. Charlotte reminds me of Carole and the Queen.

William often has movements/looks in his expression that remind me of Diana. Harry not as much...he reminds me more and more of Charles and the DoE..the DoE particularly.

LaRae

Oh yes, definitely. If she had blonde hair, she'd be almost a clone. :flowers:

Yeah, we all know this is coming up.

I do hope George gets a chance to go to school with kids from all kinds of different backgrounds and experiences.

It's the same school William and Harry went to...wasn't it diverse back then? Seems like Diana (and presumably Charles) picked that one due to the fact it had more diversity in the student body.

LaRae

Possibly more diversity ethnicity wise, but certainly not walk of life. It is a 6500/term pre-prep in notting hill. The kids will all come from the same kind of up bringing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom