General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know something is a non-story when even the top rated comments on Mail Online are supportive of William and Catherine spending Christmas with her family. Mail Online comments are known to be nasty just for the sake of it.

As most people point out, it's what couples do during holidays.

When William was single he was always at Sandringham except for military commitments, just like Harry, but when Harry gets married I don't think anyone really thinks his wife shouldn't be able to ever see her family again at Christmas.

Last edited:
:previous: I read that article in the Daily Mail earlier. It's so full of snobbery regarding the Middletons and their "cut price shoot" that I'm not going to click on it again.

I rarely, if ever, click on anything from the Daily Mail. To me, the Fail is a gossip rag that uses text to incite the readers to believe whatever garbage they dream up as a "slant" on something. :bang:

If they go to the Middletons then I do think its quite selfish IMO. They have a ten bedroom house at Anmer that can accomodate the Middletons and still allow the Cambridge's to see the RF as well.
There is going to be a huge media headache for the Cambridge's and Middleton's when they go out in public over Christmas and a huge security operation for police many of whom would usually would be allowed off over Christmas.
I'm not going to get on a high horse or snobby about it like the DM I really just think its an odd decision that is only going to get tongues wagging and wind the media up especially as they aren't releasing a Christmas card photo this year. It just all seems a bit odd to me.

The article in the DM is basically a terrible Frankenstein version of the Sunday Express article it's based on (which uses "cut-price" in the headlines because Express headline writers are the worst). Will and Kate to ditch Queen's Christmas lunch for Middletons' shoot | Royal | News | Daily Express

It's basically like the DM writer copy/pasted, took out any analysis (Camilla had a bit in her story getting the reaction from the CEO of the League Against Cruel Sports, which has been cut from the DM), jumbled some things around and added in some names of royals.

In the process, the writer has written a terribly muddled, difficult to understand article.

The most egregious copy/paste/munge is this: In the Express:

It has been suggested that Kate’s stance has led to tensions with her father-in-law Prince Charles who is privately said to have bemoaned the fact that he does not see enough of the grandchildren.

Clarence House maintains he has an “excellent” relationship with both.

becomes, in the DM:

This year's shoot in Thatcham will be a snub for Prince Philip, who is rumoured to have previously complained that he was not enjoying enough time with his grandchildren.

Although Clarence House maintains that the two families have an 'excellent relationship', and the Middletons have even visited Sandringham in the past.

In that case the daily mail makes more sense context wise. The article is not about missing Christmas itself, it seems to suggest they are leaving Christmas morning, but about the hunt. It is Prince Philip's hunt, and the adults participate. Charles won't miss his grandkids, as a three year old and one year old wouldn't be hunting. But Philip may miss the time either his adult grandson.

I don't think it unreasonable to think it's true. At Philips age he likely treasures these traditions and the private time he gets with his family. But that isn't to say at all, that the royals don't fully support the couple spending time with the middletons instead.

The issue is that by throwing in the suggestion that they'll be at Sandringham Christmas morning but are leaving before lunch to go to Bucklebury, the article spreads confusion, given the widely reported news that the Cambridges would be spending all of Christmas day in Bucklebury.

There are people expressing confusion on Twitter due to the DM article, so I disagree that it makes more sense in context.

It serves only to muddy the water, if only because the writer is inept.

I funny say the leaving Christmas morning made more sense :ermm:

I said the Prince Philip comment makes more sense in context. Prince Philip is more likely be missing his grandchildren during a hunt, then Charles is. Will be more then a decade before Charles will be hunting with his grandchildren.

They spent Christmas at the Middleton household in 2012 and there wasn't a constitutional crisis. The monarchy survived. Parliament didn't have to intervene.

Catherine's family is just as important to her as William's family is to him. Why should the Middletons always have to be the guests. Maybe they want to host every few years in the comfort of their own home.

Married couples are supposed to start their own traditions.

Reactions: hel
The situation most likely is that the rags, the trolls, the dreamers of sordid stories and everyone that seems to have an opinion on how the Cambridges spend their Christmas holiday are most likely to be more up in arms and aghast and reaching for the smelling salts at the gumption of the Cambridges to be so dire and awful and demeaning to the royal family than the actual cast of characters are themselves.

We don't know their private plans and we do know that these holiday plans are their private lives and its no one else's business how they decide to spend them. Its not only the holidays but the silly season. Up next is Philip's dismay that there will be heavy sleet and ice on the ground for his shoot and how dare the Earth do such a thing for "his" shoot?

Tis the season eh?

Even if the Middletons came to Anmer. The Cambridges still would have to leave them behind for most of Christmas Eve to go open presents and have a black tie dinner with the royals.

Maybe they want a less formal holiday this year. Maybe the extended Middleton clan with Mike's brothers and their family are coming over or the Matthews are coming over. Berkshire is closer to London then everyone going to Norfolk.

The Queen and Philip are in Norfolk until February there will be plenty of visiting with Gan Gan & Philip for the Cambridges.

Since the couple have married this has been the Christmas familial distribution.

Christmas Eve- with the BRF
Christmas- with the BRF

Christmas Eve- with the Middletons
Christmas- with the Middleton

Christmas- with the BRF

Christmas- with the Middletons, though the morning was with BRF

Christmas- with the BRF

The BRF are currently getting a preferential Christmas treatment to the ratio of 70/30. And yet some posters have the gall to call The Cambridges/Middletons selfish. It boggles the mind.

Especially, when you consider that the HM and Philip will be in Sandringham for the next two months. The Cambridges only live a few miles away and will probably visit HM and Philip plenty over the next two months. The Middletons live in Bucklebury, the Cambridges can't stop over for a quick lunch there like they can at Sandringham.

You make it doubt like the middletons live far away and they rarely see them. Kate and will are in Berkshire visiting them and see them in London plenty. The kids stay with them when their parents travel.

Stopping over for lunch is not the same as being part of Christmas traditions, and it is not just the queen and Philip there.

That said, it is totally understandable that they spend some holidays with the middletons. It would actually be nice if some of the other royaks did. I am sure Camilla would enjoy seeing her grandkids open Christmas gifts once in a while.

I wonder how things will change Christmas wise when Charles is king. I would hope to think camillas family will be welcome. I would think his siblings may continue to come. But there will still be a huge change for all.

The distance between Anmer/Sandringham and Buckleberry is 271 km or 168 miles or about a 3 hr. drive according to my computer. Can one of our British members let me know if the drive time is accurate?
I get the impression that there are traditionally 3 days associated with Christmas in England - Christmas Eve, Christmas Day & Boxing Day. Do most office/bank/government workers get all 3 days off? My public sector job in the USA gives me 1/2 a day for Christmas Eve and all Christmas Day and work resumes 12/26.
I seem to recall that Camilla leaves Christmas Day to spend the rest of the holiday with her children and grandchildren.
My recollection is that the Middleton parents and siblings spent Christmas at Anmer in 2014 & 2015. It must have felt a bit odd for William & Catherine to travel over to Sandringham for certain parts of the holiday leaving their guests alone at Anmer.
If in fact the Cambridges are spending Christmas Eve with the Royal family. George & Charlotte will be able to enjoy presents with their Royal cousins, then make the drive Christmas morning to spend the rest of the holiday with the Middletons including Pippa's fiancé James. Perhaps even Jame's Middleton's GF Donna and her daughter will be present this year.
The press is in a snit because they won't get pictures of Catherine walking to church Christmas morning and won't have the chance to comment on what she wore, who she walked with, etc..

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

The Middletons were not at Anmer last year. They were there in 2014. 2015 was all royals.

I doubt the Cambridges are going to do Christmas Eve at Sandringham which ends late in the evening, get up Christmas Day load 2 little kids and all their gifts drive 3 hours to Berkshire, go to Church with her family and then open presents.

They are already in London now, they will just go to Berkshire for the Christmas holidays and return to Norfolk after

Last edited:
:previous:ah, that makes more sense. I thought I read that the Middleton's were at Anmer last year - but I was probably mislead by the type of articles w/ differing plans that we are now seeing:lol:

Since the couple have married this has been the Christmas familial distribution.

Christmas- with the BRF

Christmas Eve- with the Middletons
Christmas- with the Middleton

Christmas- with the BRF

Christmas- with the Middletons, though the morning was with BRF

Christmas- with the BRF

The BRF are currently getting a preferential Christmas treatment to the ratio of 70/30. And yet some posters have the gall to call The Cambridges/Middletons selfish. It boggles the mind.

Especially, when you consider that the HM and Philip will be in Sandringham for the next two months. The Cambridges only live a few miles away and will probably visit HM and Philip plenty over the next two months. The Middletons live in Bucklebury, the Cambridges can't stop over for a quick lunch there like they can at Sandringham.

Thank you for sharing the facts miss whirley. I'd love to recommend that you take on the task of writing the articles about the BRF for the Daily Fail, but unfortunately you rely upon facts which the DF seems to dismiss.:lol:

I'd love to know who the "sources" and paticularly "the inside sources" are who can glibly cite the upcoming whereabouts of the family, not previously posted (official engagements only) through KP.

This Middleton Boxing Day shoot we're hearing about which may or may not be attended by Willls and Kate; security nightmare?!!

No doubt the holiday period will be shared with both sets of family, George and Charlotte are hardly not going to see and be seen (and spoilt by!) everyone at some stage over the days.

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

There probably aren't any sources. Remember that designer dog that George was going to get for his birthday that we never saw or heard about ever again.

There are so little photos that come out from the Royal Christmas other than going to Church. We are not going to know who was at Philip's shoot. As for Carole's, someone could have just searched estates in the area that offer shooting and then called about the prices.

If your estate had Prince William's MIL book your entire Boxing Day shoot out, would you blab to the press before it happens? William has plenty of places to hunt. He can get the Middletons invited to Philip's hunt or go to the hunting areas of several friends like the Duke of Westminster.

Exactly! From what I can remember C & M attended a post Christmas hunt with the RF some years back so hardly a first.

Even if they are organising a hunt, it will only be one of many up and down several counties.

Sheer speculation!

The Monaco family released their official Christmas card picture today and it's reminded me of how much I would have loved to have seen George and Charlotte on a card this year as they are of a similar age to Prince Jaques and Princess Gabriella. Does anyone know why the Cambridges refused to release one and is it possible they still might?

The Monaco family released their official Christmas card picture today and it's reminded me of how much I would have loved to have seen George and Charlotte on a card this year as they are of a similar age to Prince Jaques and Princess Gabriella. Does anyone know why the Cambridges refused to release one and is it possible they still might?

The Cambridge's don't release Christmas cards, but family photos. I think they might release something, but you just never know with the Cambridge's.

They don't do a grand unveiling for the public but they do have a Christmas card they send out to friends and the like.

I've only seen a card released by Charles and Camilla

More often than not Christmas cards from British royals turn up on social media.

Last edited:
They released their official Christmas card picture last year though and there was some sort of statement made by Kp a few weeks ago saying they wouldn't be doing the same this year.I just wondered why the change of heart. Also outwith the card we have always had official pictures of the children released at Christmas since George was a baby and there's been nothing on that score either.

Yes Kensington did release a statement simply saying no card this year. Express took it a step further and speculatefpd due to us getting to see the kids in Canada, trooping and the photo with the queen, there was no need to do a card.

They don't do a grand unveiling for the public but they do have a Christmas card they send out to friends and the like.

I've only seen a card released by Charles and Camilla

More often than not Christmas cards from British royals turn up on social media.

I've never seen one released by HM and the DoE, the Princess Royal or the Wessexes. Typically it appears to just be the PoW and the Yorks. Though as you pointed out Rudolph cards will appear on social media now and then.

I thought they would release some family photos this year though. There's so many creative ways for them to create Christmas pictures. They could have pictures taken of the family baking cookies in the kitchen or the family playing by the tree.

Get creative William and Catherine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom