General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has a photo of The Queen driving Catherine out to join the others at a shoot in Scotland.

The Cambridges are staying with Prince Charles at Birkhall.

(Can't post links, sorry.)

::sigh::

While Kate would still not become Princess of Wales, at that point she would become—and this is wild, and confusing—“Her Royal Highness Catherine, Princess of Wales,” not technically Princess Catherine.

If you're going to write an entire section about how part of the reason she's still known as KM is due to the assumed transient nature of her current title, you should really try to get your facts right.

When/if William is created Prince of Wales, "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales" is exactly what she would become. She just still won't be "Princess Kate".

I certainly hope she never becomes Catherine, Princess of Wales.

When/if William is created Prince of Wales, "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales" is exactly what she would become. She just still won't be "Princess Kate".

I certainly hope she never becomes Catherine, Princess of Wales.

Should anything happen to William (accident / illness etc.) in the relatively near future and Kate became a young widow would her current titles change in any way / different ones bestowed in line with her changed status?

What would become of any of her titles if she remarried?

Should anything happen to William (accident / illness etc.) in the relatively near future and Kate became a young widow would her current titles change in any way / different ones bestowed in line with her changed status?

What would become of any of her titles if she remarried?

Should William die while still The Duke of Cambridge, Kate would immediately become The Dowager Duchess of Cambridge but would almost certainly still be called The Duchess of Cambridge until such time as George - the new Duke - married. But with William out of the picture and The Queen unlikely to survive another 20 years, George would be Prince of Wales by the time he married, or even King, in which case Kate would remain HRH The Duchess of Cambridge for the rest of her life, unless she remarried. In that case, since married women are still treated as nothing more than an extension of their husband when it comes to their formal identities, particularly in such rarefied circles, Kate would be known by whatever name tradition dictated as appropriate for the wife of whoever she married. However, it is likely that Charles would cook up some new title for her or at least let her keep the HRH since it would probably be deemed inappropriate for the future king's mother to be known simply as Mrs John Smith, though HRH Mrs John Smith sounds even stranger to me. :D Though, of course, she would be likely to marry a peer rather than some ordinary bloke, so might become, e.g., HRH The Countess of ..............

I think that would be the position, anyway. I may be wrong, in which case I am sure someone will tell me.

Last edited:
Thanks Roslyn! :)

If Charles could (and given his undisputed affection for Kate - possibly would) create a unique title for his son's widow, William being Prince William of Wales(?) at the time of his death (sorry Wills!) would Princess Catherine of Wales be completely out of the question?
Possible Letters Patent updates etc. coming into play, a princess being of royal blood etc. Assuming no remarriage which would/could change everything.

William isn't of Wales anymore. He lost the of Wales when got his own peerage. With her own princess hood created by Charles or George, it would not come with a territorial designation. It would be like Philip's just of the U.K. So no way for HRH Princess Catherine of Wales to happen unless W&K name a future kid Catherine too and she would get a of Wales when William becomes Prince of Wales or George as Prince of Wales names a daughter after his mother.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thanks Roslyn! :)

If Charles could (and given his undisputed affection for Kate - possibly would) create a unique title for his son's widow, William being Prince William of Wales(?) at the time of his death (sorry Wills!) would Princess Catherine of Wales be completely out of the question?

Possible Letters Patent updates etc. coming into play, a princess being of royal blood etc. Assuming no remarriage which would/could change everything.

As Skippy said, William isn't "of Wales" now, so Catherine wouldn't be either.

No LPs would need to be issued, and there is precedent actually for the wives of deceased British princes to use their first names instead of their husbands'; when she became a widow, Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, chose to use her name instead of Dowager Duchess (she was a Princess of Greece in her own right). This created a situation when Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester became a widower who was to use the Dowager Duchess title (upon her son's marriage), and so the Queen granted her permission to use her name as well.

In a situation where Catherine is widowed and doesn't want to simply be the Dowager Duchess of Cambridge, the monarch could grant her similar permission (be that monarch the Queen or Charles), to be Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. It might be a bit trickier to do if she's a Dowager Princess of Wales at the time though, just because it could very likely create confusion.

The previous scenario had the widow Catherine remarrying so she would lose her titles from William. If he wanted Charles or George as King could make her a Princess of the U.K. in her own right like Philip is or give her a peerage

I missed that part of it.

If she didn't remarry, Catherine could be styled as Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge with nothing more than the monarch's permission.

If she remarried, she would become Mrs. John Smith unless she was given her own titles. Then she would become Princess Catherine, Mrs. John Smith (looking at the recent precedent of Princesses Anne, Alexandra, Margaret, and Mary).

Should William die while still The Duke of Cambridge, Kate would immediately become The Dowager Duchess of Cambridge but would almost certainly still be called The Duchess of Cambridge until such time as George - the new Duke - married. But with William out of the picture and The Queen unlikely to survive another 20 years, George would be Prince of Wales by the time he married, or even King, in which case Kate would remain HRH The Duchess of Cambridge for the rest of her life, unless she remarried. In that case, since married women are still treated as nothing more than an extension of their husband when it comes to their formal identities, particularly in such rarefied circles, Kate would be known by whatever name tradition dictated as appropriate for the wife of whoever she married. However, it is likely that Charles would cook up some new title for her or at least let her keep the HRH since it would probably be deemed inappropriate for the future king's mother to be known simply as Mrs John Smith, though HRH Mrs John Smith sounds even stranger to me. :D Though, of course, she would be likely to marry a peer rather than some ordinary bloke, so might become, e.g., HRH The Countess of ..............

I think that would be the position, anyway. I may be wrong, in which case I am sure someone will tell me.

If William died while still The Duke of Cambridge, George wouldn't be able to be created the Prince of Wales as it is my understanding that this honor is only bestowed on the heir apparent to the monarch. George would either be the great-grandchild of the monarch (Elizabeth) or grandson of the monarch (Charles).

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

No the Prince of Wales title can be given to the heir apparent as George would be when Charles is King. The Duke of Cornwall title is the one that has to be monarch's eldest son and heir apparent. George III was a Prince of Wales who was a grandson instead of a son.

George would Duke of Cambridge if his father died now and then could be Prince of Wales when his grandfather became King. He just wouldn't be Duke of Cornwall like he would with living William to ascend through to the throne.

Last edited:
No the Prince of Wales title can be given to the heir apparent as George would be when Charles is King. The Duke of Cornwall title is the one that has to be monarch's eldest son and heir apparent. George III was a Prince of Wales who was a grandson instead of a son.

George would Duke of Cambridge if his father died now and then could be Prince of Wales when his grandfather became King. He just wouldn't be Duke of Cornwall like he would with living William to ascend through to the throne.

Thanks Skippyboo. There's a lot of ins and outs and in betweens when it comes to royal titles.

Chrissy Teigen has a lot of famous celebrity friends. But there are still two people she’s itching to meet.

The 30-year-old model and Lip Sync Battle star confessed to her Twitter followers on Friday that she’s hoping to have a royal hangout session with Prince William and Princess Kate!

“How do I make an appointment to hang out with Prince William and Kate Middleton,” she wrote. “Is there a sign up sheet?”
Read more: Chrissy Teigen Wants to Meet Prince William and Princess Kate

One thing I'm sure of is that begging to hang out with "Kate Middleton" isn't going to get her to the top of any list. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to all who rssponded and gave their opinion on how Kate would be titled if Wiliam pre deceased her.

Irksome though (should / could it happen) to be allowd to be known as Princess Catherine, just because your husband died!

:previous: nw dare you, like the pippa gets her mail, this is Pulitzer worthy:ROFLMAO:

I mean ground breaking new revelations. I would never have suspected Christmas at sandringham. And did you know Royal kids play outdoors. I surely thought they would be locked away until snow melts. And stuffed toys for a toddler:ohmy: I can't wait for the next article. I am certain we will learn they plan to wrap gifts in shiny paper for each other.

The media really want some new material for the Cambridge Christmas, but they don't have any. So they rewrite the same stuff over and over again.

Now, what would be nice if George attends his first Christmas service at Sandringham this year. That would be a nice story.

I think we'll be getting the traditional Christmas photos before the holidays, so the media will have that so work with. I would like to see William and Catherine and lupo in the pics this time, not just the kids. Change it up a bit and show the family having some fun at home. Perhaps making cookies in the kitchen, decorating the tree. A family enjoying the festive season. It make the best pictures.

Last edited:
Lots of rumours out there. It's against forum rules to mention it here but it's exciting if true.

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children will spend Christmas Day privately with the Middleton family

Last edited:
If the Christmas in Bucklebury is true, the Cambridges are in for a major tabloid headache. The tabloids will all point out the last time the Cambridges spent Christmas in Bucklebury a green-gilled Catherine was pregnant with George. They'll imply that Catherine may once again need a low-key setting if she isn't feeling well. Between Meghan and an opportunity to spin pregnancy speculation, the tabloids will be in hog heaven.

Last edited:
Well, if the couple is indeed spending the Christmas time with the Middleton, I don't see anything wrong or strange. I guess they can alternate the festivities times year after year.

The previous scenario had the widow Catherine remarrying so she would lose her titles from William. If he wanted Charles or George as King could make her a Princess of the U.K. in her own right like Philip is or give her a peerage

William wrote that Catherine was a Princess of the UK when he filled out papers when Charlotte was born. Could it be that Catherine is already a Princess of the UK but whenever it happened it was not formally announced?

ETA:
Ish, thanks for your reply to my question.

Last edited:
William wrote that Catherine was a Princess of the UK when he filled out papers when Charlotte was born. Could it be that Catherine is already a Princess of the UK but whenever it happened it was not formally announced?

Kate became a Princess of the UK the moment she married William, a Prince of the UK. Her full title properly is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

What Skippyboo was referring to was the possibility that in the future Kate might be made a Princess in her own right, so that she becomes not Princess William but Princess Catherine.

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

Going back to a 3 month old conversation.

All of Kate's titles are tied to William. If something happened to William and Kate would later remarry, she would lose all the titles and HRH she had from being William's widow. So when George is King, the King's mother would be Mrs John Smith just then.

As King Charles or George would have the ability to make Kate a Princess in her own right like Philip is. Philip's UK princehood isn't tied to being married to the Queen. If the Queen would have died at age 45 and Philip remarried. He would still have all his titles. For females marrying royal men, it doesn't work that way if they remarry. They take new husband name and titles if they have them and lose previous husbands.

Last edited:
Lots of rumours out there. It's against forum rules to mention it here but it's exciting if true.

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children will spend Christmas Day privately with the Middleton family
Yes it would be exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom