General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is well beyond the usual remit of CapX. This is not about politics or economics or technology or books or wine or capitalism. It’s about Piers Morgan, and in that case I’ll be brief. But sometimes one reads a piece of such mind-bending imbecility that it deserves a response.

The journalist Piers Morgan has delivered just such a piece of commentary for the Mail Online in which he says that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are getting too big for their snow boots. Apparently, they went off skiing and didn’t tell the newspapers (the rotters) and instead took one favoured photographer who let them see the pictures before a few were distributed to the rest of Fleet Street. Who cares about journalists moaning about someone else being given a picture? Not me or many people, I imagine, until you ponder what is really happening here.

Kate and William have had a good press since they got married, deservedly so, and they are widely liked. After a while that gets journalistically boring, so hacks must pull at any loose threads until the story of bliss unravels, possibly. That Piers Morgan article can be read as a not too coded warning that the tabloids are grumpy and the young couple must play the game or there will be trouble.
Read more: Piers Morgan wrong, again. Leave Kate and William alone. - CapX

Almost every photo release from the British royals is from a one photographer shoot. When the Queen's 90th birthday picture is released, it will be one photographer that takes it. With a toddler and a baby, it probably took 40 photos to get 2 where both George and Charlotte looked okay. Imagine the kids reaction in front of a wall of cameras and photographers trying to get their attention.

People complain about every picture released from WK starting with the engagement photos through now, taken by pros or Kate or Mike Middleton.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It's just terrible that a beautiful family vacation is turned into this bad thing. Of course many members of the media didn't know the Cambridge's were going on a short vacation, and they didn't get a chance to photograph the family, but you would think the media would respect the fact the William and Catherine didn't want tons of photographers screaming in their kids faces.

If the media didn't treat the Wales family so bad in the past, perhaps things would be different today. William and Catherine don't want that for their kids at this time.

Almost every photo release from the British royals is from a one photographer shoot. When the Queen's 90th birthday picture is released, it will be one photographer that takes it. With a toddler and a baby, it probably took 40 photos to get 2 where both George and Charlotte looked okay. Imagine the kids reaction in front of a wall of cameras and photographers trying to get their attention.

People complain about every picture released from WK starting with the engagement photos through now, taken by pros or Kate or Mike Middleton.

John Stillwell from the PA who took the Cambridge holiday snaps is the same photographer who was given the exclusive to pics of Harry in Afghanistan

As you say, none of this is new.

Last edited:
Does anybody else find it inappropriate that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge "borrowed" the Duke of Westminster's private jet for their ski break in the Alps ? Given his position in direct line to the throne, Prince William should not accept "favors" from private citizens that might be interpreted as a way to gain future influence on the Crown. Am I right or am I applying "republican standards" that make sense for elected officials, but do not extend to monarchs or princes ?

Last edited:
Does anybody else find inappropriate that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge "borrowed" the Duke of Westminster's private jet for their ski break in the Alps ? Given his position in direct line to the throne, Prince William should not accept "favors" from private citizens that might be interpreted as a way to gain future influence on the Crown. Am I right or am I applying "republican standards" that make sense for elected officials, but do not extend to monarchs or princes ?

Well, the Wessex's just recently took a private plane on a skiing trip too. I dont think using private plans is a problem at all for the royals. They wouldn't be doing it if it was a big problem. The royals are known to use friends yachts, or jets for private reasons.

Does anybody else find it inappropriate that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge "borrowed" the Duke of Westminster's private jet for their ski break in the Alps ? Given his position in direct line to the throne, Prince William should not accept "favors" from private citizens that might be interpreted as a way to gain future influence on the Crown. Am I right or am I applying "republican standards" that make sense for elected officials, but do not extend to monarchs or princes ?

Charles has used the plane in the past. Charles is godfather to Earl Grosvenor. Earl Grosvenor is godfather to Prince George and the Duchess of Westminster is William's godmother.

The families are very close. In fact The Duke of Westminster served as an advisor to the Duchy of Cornwall and the Queen made him a Knight of the Garter.

Last edited:
Not to mention his daughter Tammara is married to Edward Van Cutsem. The Van Cutsems are of course just as well linked to the Wales. Hugh Sr. was long time friends with Charles. Edward is Charles' godson and was a pageboy when he married Diana. Hugh Jr. named William as godfather to his daughter Grace, who is of course the most famous of Kate's flower girls, her meme will not soon be forgotten :ROFLMAO: William VC is godfather to George and his wife Rosie is a good friend of both Will and Kate.

And his daughter Edwina was a goddaughter of princess Diana:flowers:

I highly doubt the thought that lending them an airplane could earn him a favor crosses the mind of Gerald Grovesnor for a millisecond. He is the third richest British national worth over 13 billion dollars. I highly doubt he needs help with 'influence'.

I remember when rumors were going about for future girlfriends of a teen Will, the Grovesnor girls were mentioned. No pictures were to be had. Their father wanted them to be protected until adulthood. This is a man who obviously understands the importance of privacy especially for the kids. I am sure he happily offered.

The Duke of Westminster wields far more power and influence than the Royal Family. He is also far, far richer.

He is helping out friends who cannot afford to have their own private plane.

So no, not inappropriate although UK media will squeal. But that is nothing compared to what would have happened if William had hired one himself - using his own money. That would have been classed as using public money - doesn't matter that it isn't true, once its out there some people will believe it.

Also what actual power does the monarch have? Little to none. If the Duke of Westminster was to influence anyone, he can do it by political donations.

I find it interesting that the DM claims that "fun was had by all" during the mass photo calls while the BRF were on their skiing trips during the 80's and 90's. If it was really that much "fun" had by "all" wouldn't the Wales brothers have fond memories of those days and want to continue them? AFAIK those ended once the brothers reached adulthood, were out of school and were then going on their own trips. Apparently they didn't have such a good time at them after all.

The Duke and Duchess were accompanied on their flight to Courchevel by James Meade and his wife.

The entourage stayed at a twenty-three thousand pound a week chalet.

(But, maybe they got a discount as the trip was only four days in length.)

Last edited:
The media republished the photos and made money regardless of who took them.
They didn't have to pay for a photographer to fly to France.
It was a private holiday and it was generous of Catherine and William to have the photos arranged.
I can't see why the media should be upset.
Some situations allow mass photographers and others are better with intimate shots.
For private holidays I say it should be William and Catherine's call. If they're lucky enough to be able to borrow a friend's jet, perfect.

Sweet photographs of the children. I agree that Charlotte has a look of Windsor about her.

Exactly. No doubt William has memories of all those cameras while he was growing up; plus, his mother was killed while being followed by paparazzi. He has reason to be cautious.

If the media didn't treat the Wales family so bad in the past, perhaps things would be different today. William and Catherine don't want that for their kids at this time.

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

Lovely pictures of the family! Charlotte is the cutest little snow bunny - she looks like she's a happy baby! George is getting so big! So adorable!

The press *cough cough* Daily Fail *cough cough* just comes across as bitter when it comes to William and Kate. They go on vacation undetected, release pictures taken by one photographer taking up 10 minutes of their holiday and the press cries "how dare they not let us know!". Give it up, dinosaurs. ?

Poor weather conditions prevented the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's family landing on the airstrip at Courchevel.

Their are no lights on the airstrip, so fog and low cloud meant the Royal party had to land at Chambery and then take a private chauffer-driven car for sixty miles to their chalet.

A team of English chalet staff were hired from a local company to service their accommodation, with securtiy and personal staff travelling with them.

Not only were the Duke and Duchess seen/photographed lunching with friends at "La Pilatus" - after skiing, no children, the Duchess dressed in pink - which is at the base of the ski fields, but on another occassion, William and Catherine were seen lunching alone at restaurant "La Soucoupe", which is very high-end with lobster and truffles on the menu. And a log fire.

"La Soucoupe" can onlybe reached by sking to it.

Photographs of the area, and other details, are in "The Telegraph", now online.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge was approached while at lunch, on one of the days of the ski trip, by someone asking to take a photo of her with their child - but she declined.

And while the Duke and their male companion had a drink one lunch, it was noted the Duchess and female companion enjoyed water!

It is thought the Royal party stayed at a chalet named "Hameau de Bellecote".

And they were spotted at another restaurant high up in the mountains, "La Cave de Creux" - this time with their security personnel.

With so many details coming out, I'm wondering when a general public phone photo or two will appear.

More details are available online from "The Telegraph".

Last edited:
So William and Kate and their children were hardly hiding away as a family of four at Courchevel. Latest reports have, besides the nannies and other staff, there were Thomas van Straubenzee and one of his exes and Carole Middleton as well. Is it possible for the Cambridges to get away abroad anywhere for any length of time without Kate's mother being in the frame? Do this couple have so little to talk about after more than a decade together that they have to be surrounded by others at all times?

The press had no idea what was going on until after The Cambridges were back in the UK. The press is now scrambling to save face.

Lots of tabloid rumour but no pictures have emerged so we don't know who was there if anybody.

For all the 'sources' the tabloids supposedly have, no one at the DM, Express or The Sun had any clue until after the skiing pictures were released.

Last edited:
So William and Kate and their children were hardly hiding away as a family of four at Courchevel. Latest reports have, besides the nannies and other staff, there were Thomas van Straubenzee and one of his exes and Carole Middleton as well. Is it possible for the Cambridges to get away abroad anywhere for any length of time without Kate's mother being in the frame? Do this couple have so little to talk about after more than a decade together that they have to be surrounded by others at all times?

And does Kate need a Nanny and her mother to help with the children ?

And does Kate need a Nanny and her mother to help with the children ?

No, the tabs have been spinning this story for a while now.

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

You would need 2 people to look after the kids if the parents are out skiing. George is going to be more active than Charlotte so someone would have to stay with the baby and another person with George.

Last edited:
All we know is that the Cambridge family went on this trip. Most likely nanny went along, but everything else we really don't know about.

Interesting:ermm: Mothers of 2 often manage to look after 2 children under 3 by themselves. So do nannies. I have never heard of 'needing' as many nannies as kids. Stay at home moms must be abusing their children if its not possible to take care of a baby and toddler at the same time :bang:

You would need 2 people to look after the kids if the parents are out skiing. George is going to be more active than Charlotte so someone would have to stay with the baby and another person with George.

Really!! Most stay at home mums manage 2or3 children on their own day in day out

This thread is not about stay at home moms. Please get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom