General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark O

Commoner
City
Canvey Island
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, purely out of curiosity could anyone tell me what make and type of Tea the Queen Elizabeth II likes to drink?

I assume the Queen enjoys Coffee also, and ideas?.......though I can't quite see our beloved Queen drinking Instant!:ohmy::)

Last edited:
Perhaps you could specify what Queen you are talking about, there are still several of them around.

Marengo your answer reminded me of some years ago at my hairdresser who styles the hair of a lot of VIPs in Estoril. One of her assistants answered the phone and told her that the Countess wanted to know at what time she could do her hair to which the hairdresser answered "which countess?" For some reason this amused me.
About the tea, I have no idea but I will have a bet that she drinks Twinings.
No doubt I will be corrected very shortly.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II drinks Earl Grey (wonderful choice, imo).

Earl Grey huh! I´ll have to remember that the next time I have her over.
One thing I do remember reading is that she always travels with Malvern water to make her tea......
M.Royale, what biscuits do you think I should serve????

I think perhaps some scones, Menarue.

Not forgoing the unsweetened whipped cream and organic strawberry jam.

Silver service, but of course...:)

Duchy products of course.
My every day service is silver I think I had better get out my gold one.......lol.
Devonshire tea? Now you have made me hungry for something I can´t get here. Clotted cream, strawberry, no I like raspberry better.
Now I have forgotten HM and all I can think of is my tea. See what you have done?

Either Windsor Estate or Duchy.

The seeds of raspberries vex me so. Though strawberies I can handle.

Oh but silver is so becoming when set upon demure lace of say, 100+ years. And, it was for the use of gold service which saw the Greek's expelled from their Hellenic territories..:D.. Is it worth it dear heart?.lol.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Miscellania

From the House of Windsor in Britain to the Alawi dynasty in Morocco, members of royal families around the globe aren't just playing polo and lolling on the French Rivera--some are using their famous names and hereditary wealth to do good for the environment.

Yes, royals have massive (and multiple) homes, jet around the world, and generally live lavish lifestyles with carbon footprints to match, but their high global profiles mean when they power their castles with renewable energy, grow organic vegetable gardens, or champion environmental causes, people take note. Get your best bow or curtsy ready, you're about to meet eight princes, princesses, and queens from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East who know that "green" is more than just a color on a flag or family crest.
LINK

Quite an interesting and diverse list. There were a lot of Royals whose environmental work I was completely unaware of.

What environmental causes does the Queen support?

...and how eco-friendly is her majesty?

Search Charities and Patronages

You can search to see if she has an environmental patronages or charities, there is quite a few. :flowers:

I think the Queen is as environmentally friendly as she can be. :)

Excerpt from Little_star's link in post #1...

Perhaps inspired by her famously green son--or her pal Michelle Obama at the White House--Queen Elizabeth II has had an organic garden planted on the grounds of Buckingham Palace, to grow tomatoes, sweetcorn, beets, carrots, and other vegetables for the royal dinner table. The British monarch's summer estate, Balmoral Castle, has a small hydroelectric plant that generates enough electricity to supply her and her neighbors--and to feed the excess juice back into the grid. Woods on the Scottish property are registered with the Forestry Stewardship Council, all organic waste on the estate is recycled, and security staff patrol on mountain bikes. Queen Elizabeth has also made investments in wind turbines and geothermal heating and is apparently famous for going around switching off lights and radiators in her various homes.

HM's connection to nature...

I'm sure that Her Majesty is very connected to nature. Just think, every time there's rain it comes through the roof and onto her carpets. Every time there's wind, it whistles through the windows. I would say that the sad shape that HER government has allowed the royal residences to degenerate to would keep her connected to nature in some ways!

SERIOUSLY people...its time that these national treasures be maintained, if we have to raise the money ourselves then so be it. It's an embarassment that we would allow our head of state to endure the ordeal of watching her home fall in around her! And I read that there are even suggestions being made that Windsor Castle be turned into a museum and discontinued as a royal residence?!?:eek: That is pure insanity! Why should HM be forced out of what she considers to be her childhood home? Just so the government can stop spending money to maintain it? They'll let the place fall in on itself before they spend a dime! I cannot wait until this Labour Government is forced out on it's @$$.

Queen Elizabeth's Diary - December 2005

Can anyone help me? I'd very much like to know the Queen's diary, calendar of events/engagements, for December 2005, particularly in the week beginning the 19th. Many thanks.

25th December 2005
Q.jpg

SANDRINGHAM, NORFOLK:
Divine Service was held in Sandringham Parish Church this morning

23rd December 2005
Q.jpg

SANDRINGHAM, NORFOLK:
A Service of Lessons and Carols was held in Sandringham Parish Church this evening

22nd December 2005
Q.jpg

SANDRINGHAM, NORFOLK:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were represented by the Very Reverend James Harkness (Dean of Her Majesty's Chapel Royal in Scotland) at the Funeral of the Very Reverend Professor John McIntyre (Extra Chaplain to The Queen in Scotland) which was held at Mayfield Salisbury Parish Church, Edinburgh, this morning.
Her Majesty was represented by the Reverend Canon Peter Calvert (Chaplain to The Queen) at the Funeral of the Reverend Canon John Priestley (Chaplain to The Queen) which was held at Christ Church, Colne, Lancashire, this morning

21st December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
By command of The Queen, Sir Anthony Figgis (Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps) called upon Her Excellency Dr. Kaja Tael at 16 Hyde Park Gate, London SW7, this morning in order to bid farewell to Her Excellency upon relinquishing her appointment as Ambassador from the Republic of Estonia to the Court of St. James's

20th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Queen held a Council at 5.30 p.m..
There were present: the Baroness Amos (Lord President of the Council), the Rt. Hon. Ruth Kelly MP (Secretary of State for Education and Skills) and the Rt. Hon. Jacqui Smith MP (Minister of State, Department for Education and Skills).
Mr. Alex Galloway was in attendance as Clerk of the Council.
The Baroness Amos had an audience of Her Majesty before the Council.
By command of The Queen, Sir Anthony Figgis (Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps) called upon Her Excellency Mrs. Viela Tupou at 36 Molyneux Street, London W1, today in order to bid farewell to Her Excellency upon relinquishing her appointment as High Commissioner for the Kingdom of Tonga in London

18th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
Mr. Peter Whorton was received by The Queen today when Her Majesty decorated him with the Royal Victorian Medal (Silver)

16th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
Mr. Justice Langstaff was received by The Queen this morning upon his appointment as a Justice of the High Court when Her Majesty conferred upon him the honour of Knighthood and invested him with the Insignia of a Knight Bachelor.
His Excellency Mr. Gabriel Mharadze Machinga was received in audience by The Queen and presented the Letters of Recall of his predecessor and his own Letters of Credence as Ambassador from the Republic of Zimbabwe to the Court of St. James's.
Mrs. Machinga was also received by Her Majesty.
Sir Michael Jay (Permanent Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) was present.
His Excellency Mr. Claver Gatete was received in audience by The Queen and presented the Letters of Recall of his predecessor and his own Letters of Credence as Ambassador from the Rwandese Republic to the Court of St. James's.
Mrs. Gatete was also received by Her Majesty.
Sir Michael Jay (Permanent Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) was present.
The Rt. Hon. Michael Howard MP was received in audience by The Queen upon relinquishing his appointment as Leader of the Opposition.
Mr. John Hope was received by The Queen when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Member of the Royal Victorian Order.

14th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Queen held an Investiture at Buckingham Palace this morning.
Her Majesty held a Council at 5.45 p.m.
There were present: the Baroness Amos (Lord President of the Council), the Lord Goldsmith (Attorney General), the Rt. Hon. Patricia Hewitt, MP (Secretary of State for Health), the Rt. Hon. John Hutton, MP (Secretary of State for Work and Pensions), the Rt. Hon. Alun Michael, MP (Minister of State, Department of Trade and Industry), the Rt. Hon. David Miliband, MP (Minister of Communities and Local Government) and the Rt. Hon. Hazel Blears, MP (Minister of State, Home Office).
Mr. Alex Galloway was in attendance as Clerk of the Council.
The Baroness Amos had an audience of The Queen before the Council

13th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Queen this morning visited the new Global Headquarters of Reuters, Canary Wharf, London E14, and was received by Mr. Niall FitzGerald (Chairman of Reuters).
Her Majesty viewed an exhibition of Reuters photographs, a memorial book of Reuters journalists killed in action and subsequently met journalists and staff before filing the story about the opening of the building.
The Rt. Hon. Tony Blair MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) had an audience of The Queen this evening.
The Prince of Wales, on behalf of The Queen, held an Investiture at Buckingham Palace this morning.

10th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were represented by the Reverend Prebendary William Booth (Sub-Dean of Her Majesty's Chapels Royal) at the Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of the Venerable Edwin Ward (formerly Chaplain at the Royal Chapel, Windsor Great Park) which was held in St. John's Church, New Alresford, Hampshire, today.
The Prince of Wales was represented by the Reverend Canon Gervase Murphy

7th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
His Excellency Mr. Joseph Charter was received in audience by The Queen today upon his appointment as High Commissioner for Grenada in London.
Mrs. Charter was also received by Her Majesty.
The Very Reverend James Harkness was received by The Queen upon relinquishing his appointment as Dean of the Chapel Royal in Scotland when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.
Lieutenant Colonel Sir Malcolm Ross was received by The Queen upon his retirement as Comptroller, Lord Chamberlain's Office when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.
The Rt. Hon. Tony Blair MP (Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury) had an audience of The Queen this evening.
The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, this morning received Mr. David Hempleman-Adams (Executive Chairman of the Fiftieth Anniversary Project).
His Royal Highness, Honorary Life Member, Royal Association of British Dairy Farmers, presented The Prince Philip Award at Buckingham Palace.
The Duke of Edinburgh, President, National Playing Fields Association, presented the President's Certificates at Buckingham Palace.
His Royal Highness this evening attended a Carol Concert for the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association - Forces Help at the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks, London SW1.

6th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron, today attended Receptions for Young People who have reached the Gold Standard in The Duke of Edinburgh's Award at St. James's Palace.
His Royal Highness, Chancellor, University of Cambridge, this morning received Professor Alison Richard, Vice-Chancellor, at Buckingham Palace.
The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, afterwards received Mr. Peter Westgarth, Chief Executive, at Buckingham Palace.
His Royal Highness, Colonel-in-Chief, The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry, this afternoon received General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue, Colonel, at Buckingham Palace.
The Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel-in-Chief, The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry, afterwards received Lieutenant Colonel Nicholas Welch, upon relinquishing his appointment as Commanding Officer, and Lieutenant Colonel David Brown, upon assuming the appointment, at Buckingham Palace.
His Royal Highness, Founder and Patron, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, this evening attended a World Fellowship Dinner at the Tower of London, Tower Hill, London E.C.3.

All taken from the Court Circular from royal.gov.uk. My curiosity leads me to ask why you need/want this? lol. X

oh and a last few:

6th December 2005
Q.jpg

APPENDIX TO COURT CIRCULAR:
The Queen has been pleased to appoint Captain Jeremy Currie, Coldstream Guards, to be Temporary Equerry to Her Majesty in succession to Captain Michael Pepper, with effect from 7th December, 2005

5th December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Duke of Edinburgh, President, National Playing Fields Association, this evening attended a Reception at the Fleming Gallery, Berkeley Street, London W1.
His Royal Highness afterwards attended a Dinner for the Land Surveyors' Club at the Oriental Club, Stratford Place, London W1.
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were represented by the Lord Evans of Temple Guiting (Lord in Waiting) at the Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of the Rt. Hon. Robin Cook MP (formerly Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth and President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons) which was held in St. Margaret's Church, Westminster Abbey, London SW1, today.
The Prince of Wales was represented by the Baroness Smith of Gilmorehill

1st December 2005
Q.jpg

BUCKINGHAM PALACE:
The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron-in-Chief, Victory (Services) Association Limited, this morning received Brigadier Roy Lennox (President and Chairman).
His Royal Highness, President and Honorary Life Fellow, this afternoon attended a Luncheon at the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, 8 John Adam Street, London WC2, for the Joseph Rowntree Foundation's Enquiry into British Housing

Q.jpg

APPENDIX TO COURT CIRCULAR:
The Queen has been pleased to appoint Air Chief Marshal Sir John Allison to be Gentleman Usher to the Sword of State on the retirement of Admiral Sir Michael Layard

Thanks very much for your speedy reply, tommy1716. Just what I needed. Barry.

I understand that Queen Elizabeth II is woken in the morning with a cup of Earl Grey tea. I tried this myself one morning (although I had to make it myself!) and it was rather a refreshing drink to have first thing in the morning! I wonder whether the Danish royal family still have traditional afternoon tea at 4pm?

Queen Elizabeth's hairdressers

Does anyone out there know the names of any of the queens hairdressers over the years.I'm particularly interested in the 1950's but any leads from any era would be great!?

I love this article, it tells us a lot about the family.

QE and the Prince's Marriage

I am new to this forum, so I apologize for any mistakes of protocol or anything.

I was wondering as to how the Queen and her husband have gotten along in their marriage. Unfortunately, we know that too many of these unions include adultery. Has this ever been suspected in the Queen's marriage?

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a great day! :flowers:

His Royal Grumpiness: But 60 years on, the Queen still adores her rude, yet uttlerly devoted husband - Full article

Bow/curtsy

I know officially etiquette prescribes that subjects of Her Majesty are to bow/curtsy bowing from the neck. But it says for one not to bow as if you are Japanese from the waist.

What happened to the kiss of the Sovereign's hand or ring?

Do either the Queen or the DoE ever cook?

Do they ever go out to houses small enough to be without a cook or servants to prepare meals? Do they ever prepare meals? Does anyone know? Surely they can get themselves a snack (or can they? I really would like to know!)

If there's no information on their cooking skills (and if people here don't know, no one knows), then what do they like to eat?

Prince Harry and Chelsy just dined on rabbit legs and duck (one would have to look far and wide for those things where I live, although duck is still on the menu in Chinese restaurants).

But I'm particularly interested in whether the Queen has ever prepared a romantic dinner for her prince, ever, or whether he can rustle up a nice meal when they're out on at one of their country houses. Is either of them talented at all in this direction?

Where else would they eat besides restaurants and palaces? Do they have friends of the sort that they'd dine with privately?

The Duke of Edinburgh was known to be a hit with the BBQ, especially up on the Balmoral estate at Queen Victoria's woodland cottage. There close family and friends would enjoy lunch or dinner at the hands of the Duke and the Queen, her cousins or close friends would busy themselves in he kitchen preparing table placings, cutlery, cleaning dishes etc.

I believe the Queen also prepared a meal or two for her husband when they lived for around 6 or so months in Malta, not long after their marriage. It's said to be the only time the pair have been able to function as well, a relatively "normal" couple, doing "normal" things.

I doubt they cook much any more, but i am sure they can get themselves a snack when they wished.
The information you asked for is personal to them, I don't see why we'd ever know. Especially about romantic meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom