General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is correct when it comes to state visits and signing of laws etc, but wrong when it comes to other things.

There were (according to the media) several members of the government/parliament who wanted the Queen to make a speech before the Scottish referendum. The palace responded by saying: "The Sovereign's constitutional impartiality is an established principle of our democracy and one which the Queen has demonstrated throughout her reign.

As such the Monarch is above politics and those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case.

Any suggestion that the Queen should wish to influence the outcome of the current referendum campaign is categorically wrong. This is a matter for the people of Scotland."

Note that the idea was mooted by 'members of the parliament/government but not 'The Government'.

Individual MPs can say what they like.

If the PM had insisted and had the backing of the Cabinet then the Queen would have been forced to say what they told her to say.

The Government of the ruling body is the formal name while members of the parliament/government are simply individuals who represent different electorates but don't have the weight of The Government behind them.

There is a difference between individual members and the institution as a whole.

The institution - in the form of the PM and Cabinet - tell the Queen what to do - not individual members of that institution.

Note that the idea was mooted by 'members of the parliament/government but not 'The Government'.

Individual MPs can say what they like.

If the PM had insisted and had the backing of the Cabinet then the Queen would have been forced to say what they told her to say.

The Government of the ruling body is the formal name while members of the parliament/government are simply individuals who represent different electorates but don't have the weight of The Government behind them.

There is a difference between individual members and the institution as a whole.

The institution - in the form of the PM and Cabinet - tell the Queen what to do - not individual members of that institution.
1. If David Cameron (with support from the Cabinet) had insisted that the Queen must give a speech or issue a press release, it would have leaked out right away and he had been heavily criticized (he had probably been forced to resign). As Adam Boulton (Editor-at-large of Sky News) said, if the government dared to force the Queen to intervene in politics, it would have backfired on them.

2. I know that, but thanks for telling me.

She is just amazing! And I belive more and more that we are going to experience her Platinum Jubilee.

Just the fact that she can get on a horse at that age is amazing, riding it is extraordinary.

I'm sure she uses steps and receive some help to get on, but, yes, it's amazing she's still able to enjoy a good ride.

To be able to enjoy the things she most loves to do in life is what I think keeps her young. She's ridden horses since she was a small child and to not ride a horse I think would crush her. There have been changes made due to her age but you can't keep this woman down.

I remember Margaret Rhodes saying that growing up, it was unthinkable that one would spend an entire day indoors as being outside walking, riding, doing things is what promotes healthy living. HM, The Queen is the living proof that this is correct.

Romford's MP calls for public holiday to celebrate Queen's Sapphire Jubilee - Heritage - Romford Recorder
Romford MP Andrew Rosindell will introduce in the commons today, a bill to guarantee in law that the UK and commonwealth officially marks the achievement.

On February 6, the Queen celebrated 65 years on the throne.

“We have always held special ceremonies and we should do the same for this one now,” he said.

“This one should be the biggest and most special.”

The Queen acceded to the throne following the death of her beloved father, George VI, on February 6 1952.

“I’ve met her several times,” continued Mr Rosindell.

“I’m a big fan, she’s amazing.

“The job she does for our country is amazing, when you consider the rest of the world’s dignitaries that have come and gone.

“No one has done the length of service or time that she has.”

Along with a public holiday, Mr Rosindell said a service of thanks giving at St Paul’s Cathedral should also be held.

“Just like we have done before,” he added referring to the Queen’s silver and diamond jubilees.

“I think when you’re looking at Britain’s position now, we can show pride in our country.”
As I wrote in post 977: The Queen celebrated her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees in a way that made the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish Jubilee/Birthday celebrations seem small in comparison. Her 90th birthday was the biggest royal birthday we've seen in the world.

She also chose (of course on a smaller scale) to mark all her wedding anniversaries.

As the Danish journalist Ulla Therkelsen said last year, Queen Elizabeth II is the biggest party girl in the world.

And it's nice that Theresa May is positive (see post 977), but I see no reason to celebrate 65 years on the throne when the Queen obviously don't want it. She celebrated in a big way last year, and will almost certainly mark her 70th Wedding Anneversary in November.

Last edited:
Queen's Sapphire Jubilee set to be honoured with BANK HOLIDAY after MPs back proposal | Politics | News | Express.co.uk
The MP declared that failure to mark the milestone would be "inconceivable" given the lift to the nation's spirits created by previous celebrations in recognition of the Silver Jubilee in 1977, the 2002 Golden Jubilee and the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

Mr Rosindell raised the issue at Westminster yesterday with Commons motion announcing a Bill to introduce the one-day holiday. His motion was unopposed by MPs and his Bill was scheduled to be debated in the Commons on March 24.

However, the proposal will need to win the support of ministers to have any hope of gaining the parliamentary time necessary to be passed into law.
It will be impossible to plan such a big celebration in such a short time.

Introducing his Bill, the Romford MP said: "Here in the United Kingdom, how fortunate we are to have such a dedicated, neutral head of state as a constitutional monarch who defends our laws and upholds our democracy and is the guardian of our constitution, providing the foundations for stable and accountable Government.

"Just as previous jubilees have been celebrated far and wide, it must surely be right that the Sapphire Jubilee is too.

"In fact, I say to this House that her majesty's Sapphire Jubilee should be the greatest jubilee of all, as no other monarch has reached 65 years on the throne."

Mr Rosindell said: "We must not allow this year to pass by without a celebration befitting the occasion, saluting Her Majesty for all she has done for our nation and the wider Commonwealth, but also to prove to ourselves once again that what unites our country and people is much greater than what divides us."
I agree, the Queen is absolutely amazing, but she was celebrated with big celebrations and bank holidays in both 1977, 2002 and 2012.

She was also celebrated with several events last year, and how should the palace manage to plan the ''greatest jubilee of all'' in just 2/3 months.

Labour MP Liz McInnes warned that additional bank holidays had created problems in the past for NHS staff, many of whom had to work the extra days without overtime pay.

The Heywood and Middleton MP said: "I think it right that we celebrate the Queen's record of an amazing 65 years of long service but what I am asking for is more clarity to enable employers and employees to reach a better understanding of the practicalities of arranging an extra public holiday.

"Most importantly on rates of remuneration for those emergency workers who give up their time so that others can enjoy the day off and the celebrations."
But (again) how are the palace/others going to plan anything in such a short time? And I agree with her coments about the NHS staff.

Last edited:
:previous:

Thank you for keeping us all up to date! I love a holiday but I agree there isn't much time to plan.

Not much time to plan?

I expect this has been planned for at least a decade, with variations on the theme given the then and now current circumstances.

Nothing to do with the RF just "happens" however much they may like to think or make it look to think it does!

So, she has said she is cutting back on official appearances. Yet the last jubilee increased that part of her workload significantly.

So, whatever is planned, it will not be like every other jubilee to date, whatever the argument may be that it be the greatest and grandest. JMO

Royal Norway , NHS staff do get paid for working public holidays. I worked for the NHS we were paid bank holiday rate, and were also given a day in lieu, that is the days holiday was added to your annual leave allocation. Liz McInnes is wrong,

As I said in post 977, 987 and 988 and as JessRulz said in this blog post:
MPs To Debate Whether Queen Elizabeth's Sapphire Jubilee Deserves Public Holiday | The Royal Forums
The Queen has had large-scale celebrations for three of her previous jubilees: the Silver in 1977, the Golden in 2002 and the Diamond in 2012. She also had a large celebration for her 90th birthday last year.

While the idea of such a holiday is a nice gesture to honour the decades-long unwavering service the Queen has given to her country; the practicality of planning such an event in such a short time frame (three months at the most if the Bill is passed sometime in April) brings doubt as to whether Mr Rosindell’s idea is not adequately thought out. Costs and the impact on the economy and national services, particularly NHS staff, would also need to carefully be considered.

Ultimately, if Parliament was to approve the Bill, it would then need to agree on a plan with the Palace, who has not mentioned anything about possibly having a celebration to mark this particular jubilee. It is – in the opinion of several royal watchers – that the Palace instead will celebrate the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s 70th wedding anniversary in November.
An article from March 11:
Give us a bank holiday for the Queen's jubilee - Jonathan Walker - Birmingham Mail
According to the people at the Palace, the theory is that the public will get a bit sick of jubilees if you have too many of them. Far better to focus on the really big ones, and mark the minor anniversaries in a low-key way.

So the next big celebrations will be in 2022, when the Queen celebrates her Platinum Jubilee - that’s 70 years on the throne - at the age of 96.
And another example that the Queen/palace don't wants any celebration is the Spanish state visit, which will take place from 6th to 8th of June.

Royal Norway , NHS staff do get paid for working public holidays. I worked for the NHS we were paid bank holiday rate, and were also given a day in lieu, that is the days holiday was added to your annual leave allocation. Liz McInnes is wrong,
Thank you for telling me! I just responsed to what Liz McInnes said.

Maybe I'm way off base on this one but to me, I think with knowing how HM, The Queen has looked at her milestones in the past, I am tending to believe that if she was asked how she would want to celebrate 65 years on the throne, her most likely answer would be something along the lines of "Doing what I have been doing for 65 years. It's my duty to serve my people."

This is just an assumption on my part. I would think that if anyone deserves a "bank holiday" off, it would be HM, The Queen but do we really think we could talk her into taking one? :whistling:

There was a bunch of stuff last year for the Queen's 90th birthday. It pretty obvious the palace doesn't want a big jubilee this year. After the 25th, nothing was done until the 50th and 60th, the U.K. doesn't do jubilees just to have a jubilee. The palace would rather do something for the Queen and Philip's 70th anniversary than the sapphire jubilee.

It seems reasonable and legit to me that the palace would celebrate the 70th wedding anniversary of HM and prince Philip rather than the 65th jubilee of the Queen.

They will be having a big do this year - in November - and for The Queen that is the one she wants to focus on this year - her 70th wedding anniversary.

Given her current age, and Philip's, she will be reaching 'milestones' every few years from now on:

2017 - 65 years as Queen and 70 years of marriage
2018 - Charles' 70th birthday
2020 - Anne's 70th and Andrew's 60th birthdays
2021 - The Queen's 95th and Philip's 100th birthday
2022 - 70 years on the throne, William and Kate's 40th birthdays
2023 - Charles' 75th birthday
2024 - Harry's 40th birthday

etc etc etc

They will be having a big do this year - in November - and for The Queen that is the one she wants to focus on this year - her 70th wedding anniversary.

Given her current age, and Philip's, she will be reaching 'milestones' every few years from now on:

2017 - 65 years as Queen and 70 years of marriage
2018 - Charles' 70th birthday
2020 - Anne's 70th and Andrew's 60th birthdays
2021 - The Queen's 95th and Philip's 100th birthday
2022 - 70 years on the throne, William and Kate's 40th birthdays
2023 - Charles' 75th birthday
2024 - Harry's 40th birthday

etc etc etc

2017 - 65 years as Queen and 70 years of marriage?

65 years as Queen: Nothing.

70 years of marriage: I think we will see a private dinner (hosted by Charles) and a (televised) Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey.

2018 - Charles' 70th birthday?

A private dinner hosted by HM.

2020 - Anne's 70th and Andrew's 60th birthdays?

Private.

2021 - The Queen's 95th and Philip's 100th birthday?

HM: Nothing.

Philip: (If alive) A private church service/dinner.

2022 - 70 years on the throne, William and Kate's 40th birthdays?

HM: (If alive) The Platinum Jubilee will be a large scale celebration. At the age of 96, she will probably be represented by her family at most events, but if she is healthy (which I think/hope) then she will of course participate in (what I belive will be known as) the Jubilee Weekend in London.

William/Kate: Private.

2023 - Charles' 75th birthday?

Private (also if King).

2024 - Harry's 40th birthday?

Private.

Last edited:
:previous: I am with Royal Norway on this. I think the definition of "big deal" will migrate as they age. They will both do their duty, but will send strong signals that the dog and pony should be less taxing than for the last Jubilee.

They are not indestructible. We have a handed down plaque in our family that says "old age is not for sissies." It is not. The joints complain more, the energy flags earlier. At some point, they are capable of less and frankly, I give them credit for having lasted this long and for knowing when to say when. We should all be so wise. :flowers: JMO

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

"Operation London Bridge:Secret plan for days after the Queen's death"
"She is venerated around the world. She has outlasted 12 US presidents. She stands for stability and order. But her kingdom is in turmoil, and her subjects are in denial that her reign will ever end. That’s why the palace has a plan."

"The Queen isn’t a fan of steeplechasing but she has a runner in the first race at Cheltenham today called Forth Bridge. "

Will the Queen be celebrating at Cheltenham today? | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Operation London Bridge has been in existence for a very long time and isn't a recent thing because of any concerns over public reaction or anything. Nothing is ever left to chance with the BRF. They're the epitome of the motto "Be Prepared".

My understanding is that whenever the 'code' words are made public they are changed so that someone can't trigger the mourning etc as a practical joke or as a nuisance action.

The Duke of Norfolk has all these plans in his office and reviews them every few months and updates them every time there is a change in personnel e.g. a change in PM in one of the realms sees an update in the plans so that the right names are notified. He also updates codes etc at the same time so that there aren't too many people out there who know the 'code'.

There was a bunch of stuff last year for the Queen's 90th birthday. It pretty obvious the palace doesn't want a big jubilee this year. After the 25th, nothing was done until the 50th and 60th, the U.K. doesn't do jubilees just to have a jubilee. The palace would rather do something for the Queen and Philip's 70th anniversary than the sapphire jubilee.

I very much doubt either will go unmarked in some way.

Both are serious events to celebrate and although private as she is, the Queen won't want to disappoint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom