General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Elizabeth II has had quite a life. I have been following her since WWII. I know that makes me old, but it has been a great pastime. I wonder what she would say are her toughest years. Some candidates would be losing you Father at such a young age. Trying to be a Mother while learning how to be a queen. ( A lot of working mothers feel stressed.) Having 2 children divorce. I would love to have tea with her and ask.

Queen Elizabeth II has had quite a life. I have been following her since WWII. I know that makes me old, but it has been a great pastime. I wonder what she would say are her toughest years. Some candidates would be losing you Father at such a young age. Trying to be a Mother while learning how to be a queen. ( A lot of working mothers feel stressed.) Having 2 children divorce. I would love to have tea with her and ask.

3 children divorce...

I wish I had been born when she was younger as I would have loved to have seen her beginnings as Queen. She has been through a lot and has witnessed so much change.

Your right, 3 children divorced. Thanks for the correction. Her beginnings as Queen always reminded me of someone trying very hard not to make any mistakes. I can remember the stories od how she would have Charles and Anne come play in her office as she tended to her boxes. I always felt sorry for her because she couldn't just drop everything and play with her children. Such divided loyalties.

Your right, 3 children divorced. Thanks for the correction. Her beginnings as Queen always reminded me of someone trying very hard not to make any mistakes. I can remember the stories od how she would have Charles and Anne come play in her office as she tended to her boxes. I always felt sorry for her because she couldn't just drop everything and play with her children. Such divided loyalties.

I know, I feel that must have been very hard for her as a mother. I feel Andrew and Edward got the best of Elizabeth's mothering years, sad as it is to say that. For Charles and Anne, they were both so young when she became Queen and had to do her Monarch duties a lot more, whereas with Andrew and Edward I think she found a healthy balance. I always think of that video with Andrew and Edward looking through old family photos and she is so relaxed with them.

It was always said that Elizabeth had "two" families; the children born in pre-monarch days and the children born after she came to the throne. There was definitely a dichotomy in the parenting philosophy between the two sets.

I can picture Her Majesty working and her two little ones on the floor, by her desk. To me, that says that she was trying to do right by her children. I think she did the best she could with what she had.

Oh, do add me to the number of those who would like to sit and have a cup of tea and a chat with Her Majesty. It would be a treat :D.

Wonderful article. Really interesting to read what went on during that time. Thanks for that.

There's a 60 things about HM in his weeks Hello! for her jubilee and there are some interesting things I didn't know. Like
1; HM has an iPod, a blackberry and is considering an iPad.
2; While she famously never carries money, the Queen has an account with top bank Coutts & Co, which has a cash machine in Buckingham Palace.
3; She's given 80,000 Christmas Puddings to the people who work for her.
4; The live animals given on royal tours, are placed in the care of London Zoo.

There's a 60 things about HM in his weeks Hello! for her jubilee and there are some interesting things I didn't know. Like
1; HM has an iPod, a blackberry and is considering an iPad.
2; While she famously never carries money, the Queen has an account with top bank Coutts & Co, which has a cash machine in Buckingham Palace.
3; She's given 80,000 Christmas Puddings to the people who work for her.
4; The live animals given on royal tours, are placed in the care of London Zoo.

Her Majesty is a techie :D. I love it. I do remember reading that she was quite fond of modern technology. Bet she can use all of it better than me :lol:.

Mail Online - 6 May 2012

Revealed: The royal glove-maker where the Queen of Thrift's favourite pairs are mended rather than replaced

She is known for economising. Now it has been revealed that the Queen’s thriftiness extends to her gloves, which she has repaired where possible, rather than replacing them.

Royal glove-maker Genevieve Lawson says: ‘Every 18 months or so the Queen’s dresser, Angela Kelly, will put in an order for some new gloves but we’ll also have some sent back to us for repair. It’s normally quite minor repairs such as restitching the seams. The Queen looks after her gloves but she shakes an awful lot of hands. It’s an occupational hazard.’

In 2010 she carried out 444 engagements, and a conservative estimate of 100 handshakes per visit equals 44,400 for that year alone. Her gloves are handmade in black, white, cream or navy cotton by East Sussex company Cornelia James then sent in the post. The Queen pays full price.

Mrs Lawson, 56, says: ‘I design them, my husband cuts them and we have a small team making them up. We also make gloves for Princess Anne, and a few years ago she sent back a navy pair saying they had faded. We sent them off for analysis, as the colour should not fade, and it turned out there were heavy deposits of hand cream in the cotton.’

Cornelia James was founded by Mrs Lawson’s Jewish mother after she fled from the Nazis in 1939. The company has supplied Her Majesty since 1947.

HM - books she likes, tv she likes

What kind of books does she like?
What does she watch on tv?

What a neat article Warren. Thanks for sharing. I suppose after so many handshakes something is bound to give. I thought she would just buy more gloves but I guess not. The Queen is definitely thrifty.

The sketch by the Queen's favourite couturier Norman Hartnell that was to become Her Majesty's Coronation gown
As the nation prepares to celebrate The Queen's Diamond Jubilee and her 60 year reign, behold the designer's sketch for Her Majesty's Coronation dress. The late Hartnell was originally charged with creating the wedding dress worn by Her Majesty in 1947 for her marriage to Prince Philip. That gown had a sweetheart neckline and full skirt and was embroidered with some 10,000 seed-pearls and many thousands of beads. It was trailed by a 15 foot star-patterned train.
I don't remember seeing the Queen's coronation gown in colour.

I place my question here instead of opening a new thread, hope that is alright:
Does the Queen enjoy penal immunity?
What about Prince Philip?
What about the other royals?

I place my question here instead of opening a new thread, hope that is alright:
Does the Queen enjoy penal immunity?
What about Prince Philip?
What about the other royals?

The British Monarch cannot be charged for any offence because the common law holds that the Sovereign "can do no wrong".
The Crown Proceedings Act 1947 allows civil lawsuits against the Crown in its public capacity (lawsuits against the government), but not lawsuits against the Monarch personally. Furthermore, the Queen cannot be tried in Court because all court proceedings are done in her name; otherwise, it would be a case of Queen Elizabeth vs Queen Elizabeth - which simply cannot happen by default.

Prince Philip, along with other royals, can be prosecuted; only the Monarch has immunity - members of the Royal Family do not. In fact, several members of the Royal Family have been charged for minor offences. For example, in 2001 Princess Anne was charged for driving at 150 km/h on a dual carriageway; she was fined £400 and had 5 points added to her driving licence. In 2002, her dog attached two boys and she was convicted under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991; she was fined £5400 and ordered to give her dog further training.

Last edited:
The British Monarch cannot be charged for any offence because the common law holds that the Sovereign "can do no wrong".
The Crown Proceedings Act 1947 allows civil lawsuits against the Crown in its public capacity (lawsuits against the government), but not lawsuits against the Monarch personally. Furthermore, the Queen cannot be tried in Court because all court proceedings are done in her name; otherwise, it would be a case of Queen Elizabeth vs Queen Elizabeth - which simply cannot happen by default.
What would happen if a non-British citizen were involved?
Let's say the Queen runs over a French man who dies - what would happen?

What would happen if a non-British citizen were involved?
Let's say the Queen runs over a French man who dies - what would happen?
In foreign countries, the Queen has diplomatic immunity, so she wouldn't be charged. In Britain, she cannot be charged for any offence, including criminal.
In reality, however, I would assume that if the Monarch is involved in a serious crime, that will plunge Monarchy into crisis and most likely result in the Monarch's abdication (or the end of monarchical system of government).

Mind you, I doubt the particular scenario - running over someone with a fatal result - is plausible; at her age, Her Majesty is highly unlikely to drive herself. And if her driver/bodyguard is behind the wheels, then he will be the one held responsible for the consequences of the accident.

Queen Elizabeth doesn't smoke, and never did. I think she might have strong aversion to the habit since her father, George VI, smoked heavily and had lung cancer. Although it has to be said that the sad fact never stopped Princess Margaret from becoming a heavy smoker herself.

Prince Philip smoked in his youth, but reportedly gave up before marrying the Queen.

Queen Elizabeth doesn't smoke, and never did. I think she might have strong aversion to the habit since her father, George VI, smoked heavily and had lung cancer. Although it has to be said that the sad fact never stopped Princess Margaret from becoming a heavy smoker herself.

Prince Philip smoked in his youth, but reportedly gave up before marrying the Queen.

When you say 'before marrying the Queen' you are absolutely correct. He had his last smoke as he left KP to go to the Abbey so his last smoke was 20th November, 1947.

I don't know if this is the right thread, but didn't know where else to post this:
Back in November 1997, at the Golden Anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip's wedding, there was a formal Banquet where both Herself and then-PM Tony Blair gave speeches. Hers has been probably one of the deepest and most sincere ones she has ever made when it comes to confession and her overview about the institution she presides. As for Blair's, it was the one occasion he best revealed his supportive emotions for the monarchy (I can't see how and why this relationship is considered as tensious by some) -the link for his speech I found here: ??97???HM the Queen and Prince Philip's Golden Wedding Anniversary - 20 November

My question is, does anyone knows if this banquet was televised and if there are videos of these speeches?

thanks in advance

No passport, so how do they check?

Queen Elizabeth travels the globe without a passport.

I assume that there must be _some_ kind of paperwork or documentary check that takes place at some point so that immigration officials aren't punked by impersonators who arrive a little before HM is expected. No? How does it work?

Well, their first hint might be that her overseas visits are well announced in advance. Their second hint might be the royal standard flying on the plane when it touches down. Their third hint might be The Duke of Edinburgh and the uniformed Equerry accompanying her. Their fourth hint might be the large entourage with her. Thir fifth hint might be the large press corps. Their sixth hint might be the red carpet rolled out waiting for her to disembark from the plane. Their seventh hint might be the line of dignitaries from their own country waiting to greet HM. It is unlikely HM would ever even encounter an Immigration official as she usually has a limousine waiting on the tarmack for her and the host head of state to drive away in.

Well, NGalizine, that is true for official visits. But she has also visited some contries (like the US) privatly, but even travelling 'private' would include a certain amount of prearrangements for securityresaons and so on...

Daz Voz, are you sure she doesn't need a passport? I thought all heads of state have diplomatic passports that ensure that their rights under international law are protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom