The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

The sore on The Queen's right leg don't appear to be healing all that well. I know others thought it was just a bruise before-
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...4022406106.jpg

I think it's a bad cut.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The sore on The Queen's right leg don't appear to be healing all that well. I know others thought it was just a bruise before-

I think it's a bad cut.
I've noticed that too.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Gentry

Quote:

I think it's a bad cut.
I've noticed this too - ulcers or sores on this part of the leg are common in older people, but are notoriously slow to heal. A large part of the treatment is rest and elevation of the affected leg, which is proving difficult for this hard-working and active 90-year old!
Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 AM

Historical question about a flight accident that almost occurred

Dear forum members,

I'm searching for historical information about a flight accident that almost occurred with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip aboard. The incident would have occurred sometime between the late 1940s and the 1970s.

The reference about this incident is in Roland Barthes' book, "Image, Music, Text," published in 1977. On page 27, Barthes described a newspaper displaying a photograph of the royal couple with this headline: "They were near to death, their faces prove it." However, Barthes noted that the couple could not have known about "the accident they had just escaped."

Philip Meggs' mentioned the same incident in his book, "Type & Image," in 1989. He stated that this newspaper was a "London tabloid." Neither author provided more details in their citations.

I submit the following questions to members of this forum:

1) When and where did this incident occur? What were the circumstances?
2) What newspaper published this photo and headline?
3) Does anyone know if digitized forms of this newspaper page or photograph exist?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. My research librarians at University at Albany suggested that I reach out to you.

Warmest regards,

Professor Thomas Palmer
Journalism Program
tpalmer@albany.edu
Old 05-25-2016, 02:00 AM
Nobility

Could it be this incident?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,7006041&hl=en
Old 05-25-2016, 02:35 AM
Heir Apparent

This gives details of the headlines from British sources that covered it at the time.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,4729206&hl=en
Old 05-25-2016, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

I have found the following photo from the British newspaper, the Daily Mirror:

GERMAN LUFTWAFFE SABRE JET AIRCRAFT NEAR-MISS QUEEN ELIZABETH ROYAL COMET 1960 | eBay

The following link is to the newspaper's current website and if you scroll down the page you will find their contact details:

http://www.mirror.co.uk
Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 AM

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for these responses. I now have the date and ability to acquire this content for my research. It is amazing how so much can be accomplished on this forum in less than a day!

Gratefully,

Professor Palmer
Old 05-28-2016, 11:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth II spotted horse riding at 90-years-old | Royal | News | Daily Express

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
HM is truly an amazing woman. I wish I had her strength and stamina because most days I feel like my get up and go went.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:59 AM
Majesty

As long as she can get on a horse, even with aid, she will continue to ride. Horses and dogs, her 2 great passions and 2 escapes from duties and life. A passion I love she has shared with her kids and now grandchildren.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Majesty

Duke of Edinburgh's 95th birthday: Prince Philip's life in pictures | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 AM
Majesty

Rare Footage of Queen Elizabeth II Meeting Marilyn Monroe | Vanity Fair
Old 06-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Marilyn Monroe meets the Queen in 1956 | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
They were born in the same year and were icons on the world stage - albeit in very different ways.

And now footage showing the moment that glamorous young Queen Elizabeth met the biggest Hollywood star of the day, Marilyn Monroe, in 1956 has emerged.

Marilyn Monroe was in London for the premiere of her then husband Arthur Miller's film The Battle of the River Plate on 29 October 1956.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Why didn't Prince William or Harry stand in for Philip? * | Daily Mail Online

Amanda was so quick to launch criticism on William and Harry, she didn't even stop to realize that Princess Anne was the natural representative of the Royal family at this event. She and her father was due to attend. He dropped out due to health and she attended. William and Harry werent scheduled nor needed for this event.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-04-2016, 04:19 AM
Courtier

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Quote:
PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Why didn't Prince William or Harry stand in for Philip? * | Daily Mail Online

Amanda was so quick to launch criticism on William and Harry, she didn't even stop to realize that Princess Anne was the natural representative of the Royal family at this event. She and her father was due to attend. He dropped out due to health and she attended. William and Harry werent scheduled nor needed for this event.

If Amanda Platell's argument was a valid one, she could also ask why Prince Charles did not step in. He too has served in the armed services, what's more, in the Royal Navy and this was a commemoration of a naval battle. Further more, he is the next King. Or Prince Andrew who, like his father, served in the Royal Navy in time of war.

Actually, I think the Princess Royal was the perfect representative because not only did it mean she attended (and nobody can doubt her commitment to service, the services and the country) but also her professional sailor husband who rose through the ranks to earn the rank of Rear Admiral on merit rather than birth. Who was mentioned in despatches (as was Prince Philip) and who is a commissioner of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:05 AM
Majesty

A Year in the Life of Queen Elizabeth, As Told by One of Her Private S | Vanity Fair

Loch ness monster was nearly named after the Queen
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ter-the-queen/
Old 06-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Amanda was so quick to attack William and Harry that she told a roaring falsehood.

Quote:
In fact, it turns out that William, Kate and their adorable children, George and Charlotte, were attending the Norfolk Horse Trials on Tuesday, at a stately pile near their home — and we were treated to happy family snaps to prove it.
Except that the horse trials in question ran Thursday to Sunday (Houghton International – Box Office | Musketeer Event Management), so William couldn't have been "skipping" the Jutland event to go to the trials. It's worth noting that in the article about their outing to the horse trials, the Fail says the pictures were taken on Saturday.

One of the reasons I generally cannot take so much of the criticism of the BRF seriously is the brazen willingness to misrepresent facts that I see far too often amongst the critics.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Nobility

That is such a nice article! I enjoyed reading it.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
If Amanda Platell's argument was a valid one, she could also ask why Prince Charles did not step in. He too has served in the armed services, what's more, in the Royal Navy and this was a commemoration of a naval battle. Further more, he is the next King. Or Prince Andrew who, like his father, served in the Royal Navy in time of war.
Given that by the time she wrote the article the CC was up I am sure that she could have read that both Charles and Andrew were actually overseas on the day in question.

Quote:
Actually, I think the Princess Royal was the perfect representative because not only did it mean she attended (and nobody can doubt her commitment to service, the services and the country) but also her professional sailor husband who rose through the ranks to earn the rank of Rear Admiral on merit rather than birth. Who was mentioned in despatches (as was Prince Philip) and who is a commissioner of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
She was going to attend anyway - so no additional cost.

The Duke of Kent was at the ceremony in Germany in his position with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Closed Thread

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, royal trips, royal visits, talents