Old 05-13-2016, 07:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Is it even true she said that comment?

Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Is it even true she said that comment?
Certainly clear from the video that she did, though I am not sure there was anything wrong on what she said.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Certainly clear from the video that she did, though I am not sure there was anything wrong on what she said.

Shouldn't the queen avoid making such comments?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Shouldn't the queen avoid making such comments?
If you feel you are qualified to advise HM on what she can and can't say, please go right ahead ☺
Old 05-13-2016, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

As a source told the DM, she will be mortified. But there's probably not a lot of people who will shed a tear for the Chinese.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If you feel you are qualified to advise HM on what she can and can't say, please go right ahead ☺
Mine was just a matter-of-fact question. I didn't intend to sound malicious or judgemental. It's just that it is often debated how much royals can say and how the monarch must be neutral in every situation. That's it.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Aristocracy

I think the Queen was trying to show sympathy but it kind of spiraled out of control, mostly due to how heated the Lord Chamberlain was.

She obviously knew that Lucy D'Orsi --- who is not only a British citizen but was also acting in a position of responsibility as gold commander for the state visit --- had had a difficult time. Of course she had to show sympathy to Commander D'Orsi.

As I said, it did spiral out of control once the Lord Chamberlain went off.. reading the transcript, most of her comments were sympathetic, yet more or less neutral. Except, of course, for the comment about the Chinese officials being rude when they walked out of a pre-visit meeting.

For anyone who's interested, the Metropolitan Police have a description of what a Gold Commander does (it's for the olympics, but gives a general idea of what the person in the position does for any large event.)
Who's Who: The Command Team - Metropolitan Police Service
Old 05-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The monarch is supposed to be politically neutral. She can favor her own country. Does anyone doubt that some of the Chinese officials were rude?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-18-2016, 02:46 AM
Courtier

Apologies if this is an inappropriately placed post, but I do hope HM's "bruise" on her right leg starts to look better soon...
Old 05-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Majesty

The Queen admits her grandchildren help her out with her computer | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

From this article:
Quote:
'The Queen as talking to me about young children and asked me if they had changed a lot,' she said.

'I said they are all digital these days and I said that instead of sitting at the dining room table having conversations like I did with my children they are all sitting on the settee with their teas on their knees watching television.

'She agreed. She said her grandchildren did things for her digitally but she didn't like them to be on their phones and computers all the time. She days they need social skills. She was like any other grandmother really.'
Old 05-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Adam Helliker: Knee operation dilemma for Queen | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can really empathize with HM when it comes to knee problems. I can only shake my head in amazement that she's still very much upright, active and carries on regardless of how much trouble her knees are giving her. It would be my guess that if she did decide to go the route of having a knee replacement, it would be done at a time where it would least cause an upset in her routines. Always duty before everything else although I do think if the good doctor were to tell her "knee replacement or forever no more riding horses", she'd be on her way to the hospital in a New York minute.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Adam Helliker has this from this article:
The Queen's knees force her to take a Westminster lift for first time before speech | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I can really empathize with HM when it comes to knee problems. I can only shake my head in amazement that she's still very much upright, active and carries on regardless of how much trouble her knees are giving her. It would be my guess that if she did decide to go the route of having a knee replacement, it would be done at a time where it would least cause an upset in her routines. Always duty before everything else although I do think if the good doctor were to tell her "knee replacement or forever no more riding horses", she'd be on her way to the hospital in a New York minute.
I agree
Old 05-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, we do know she have back and knee problems. It's only going to get worse over time anyhow. I guess she has decided to accept the reality of age and problems. She could try to help the problem of her knees with surgery during her time at Balmoral, but she haven't done it so far.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, we do know she have back and knee problems. It's only going to get worse over time anyhow. I guess she has decided to accept the reality of age and problems. She could try to help the problem of her knees with surgery during her time at Balmoral, but she haven't done it so far.
I can very much understand the rationing behind not having the surgery. Although the doctor said she'd be out of commission for six weeks, I can attest that it takes much longer to really get the knee and leg back in shape. I didn't have knee replacements but did have the muscles kind of rearranged in both knees (trick kneecaps) and it took me an entire summer to heal and actually walk again. I was a kid too at the time. HM is 90 and as we get older, we just don't bounce back the way we used to.

I'm sure she's wise and astute enough to know what is best for her.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Conflicting reports on those royal knees-
The Queen does NOT need knee replacement surgery, insist Palace insiders - Mirror Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-22-2016, 09:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too know about bad knees and am doing everything to avoid a replacement. It takes 6 months to get back to sort of normal and there are lots of things that can go wrong. At 90 I doubt they would do a replacement. As for not doing stairs that's about being unsteady which comes with aging etc. She's not super human and while she is in good health and has the best medical care she's still 90.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:12 PM
Courtier

I have had both knees done and it is the best decision I made. I was back square dancing in 2 months. Of course, I wasn't 90, only 68.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
I have had both knees done and it is the best decision I made. I was back square dancing in 2 months. Of course, I wasn't 90, only 68.

Good to hear

Closed Thread

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, royal trips, royal visits, talents