General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a source told the DM, she will be mortified. But there's probably not a lot of people who will shed a tear for the Chinese.

If you feel you are qualified to advise HM on what she can and can't say, please go right ahead ☺

Mine was just a matter-of-fact question. I didn't intend to sound malicious or judgemental. It's just that it is often debated how much royals can say and how the monarch must be neutral in every situation. That's it.

I think the Queen was trying to show sympathy but it kind of spiraled out of control, mostly due to how heated the Lord Chamberlain was.

She obviously knew that Lucy D'Orsi --- who is not only a British citizen but was also acting in a position of responsibility as gold commander for the state visit --- had had a difficult time. Of course she had to show sympathy to Commander D'Orsi.

As I said, it did spiral out of control once the Lord Chamberlain went off.. reading the transcript, most of her comments were sympathetic, yet more or less neutral. Except, of course, for the comment about the Chinese officials being rude when they walked out of a pre-visit meeting.

For anyone who's interested, the Metropolitan Police have a description of what a Gold Commander does (it's for the olympics, but gives a general idea of what the person in the position does for any large event.)
Who's Who: The Command Team - Metropolitan Police Service

The monarch is supposed to be politically neutral. She can favor her own country. Does anyone doubt that some of the Chinese officials were rude?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Apologies if this is an inappropriately placed post, but I do hope HM's "bruise" on her right leg starts to look better soon...

From this article:
'The Queen as talking to me about young children and asked me if they had changed a lot,' she said.

'I said they are all digital these days and I said that instead of sitting at the dining room table having conversations like I did with my children they are all sitting on the settee with their teas on their knees watching television.

'She agreed. She said her grandchildren did things for her digitally but she didn't like them to be on their phones and computers all the time. She days they need social skills. She was like any other grandmother really.'

I can really empathize with HM when it comes to knee problems. I can only shake my head in amazement that she's still very much upright, active and carries on regardless of how much trouble her knees are giving her. It would be my guess that if she did decide to go the route of having a knee replacement, it would be done at a time where it would least cause an upset in her routines. Always duty before everything else although I do think if the good doctor were to tell her "knee replacement or forever no more riding horses", she'd be on her way to the hospital in a New York minute. :D

Adam Helliker has this from this article:
The Queen's knees force her to take a Westminster lift for first time before speech | Daily Mail Online

I can really empathize with HM when it comes to knee problems. I can only shake my head in amazement that she's still very much upright, active and carries on regardless of how much trouble her knees are giving her. It would be my guess that if she did decide to go the route of having a knee replacement, it would be done at a time where it would least cause an upset in her routines. Always duty before everything else although I do think if the good doctor were to tell her "knee replacement or forever no more riding horses", she'd be on her way to the hospital in a New York minute. :D
I agree

Well, we do know she have back and knee problems. It's only going to get worse over time anyhow. I guess she has decided to accept the reality of age and problems. She could try to help the problem of her knees with surgery during her time at Balmoral, but she haven't done it so far.

Well, we do know she have back and knee problems. It's only going to get worse over time anyhow. I guess she has decided to accept the reality of age and problems. She could try to help the problem of her knees with surgery during her time at Balmoral, but she haven't done it so far.

I can very much understand the rationing behind not having the surgery. Although the doctor said she'd be out of commission for six weeks, I can attest that it takes much longer to really get the knee and leg back in shape. I didn't have knee replacements but did have the muscles kind of rearranged in both knees (trick kneecaps) and it took me an entire summer to heal and actually walk again. I was a kid too at the time. HM is 90 and as we get older, we just don't bounce back the way we used to.

I'm sure she's wise and astute enough to know what is best for her.

I too know about bad knees and am doing everything to avoid a replacement. It takes 6 months to get back to sort of normal and there are lots of things that can go wrong. At 90 I doubt they would do a replacement. As for not doing stairs that's about being unsteady which comes with aging etc. She's not super human and while she is in good health and has the best medical care she's still 90.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I have had both knees done and it is the best decision I made. I was back square dancing in 2 months. Of course, I wasn't 90, only 68.

The sore on The Queen's right leg don't appear to be healing all that well. I know others thought it was just a bruise before-
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/05/23/17/3489B57200000578-3604998-image-m-20_1464022406106.jpg

I think it's a bad cut.

I've noticed this too - ulcers or sores on this part of the leg are common in older people, but are notoriously slow to heal. A large part of the treatment is rest and elevation of the affected leg, which is proving difficult for this hard-working and active 90-year old!

Historical question about a flight accident that almost occurred

Dear forum members,

I'm searching for historical information about a flight accident that almost occurred with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip aboard. The incident would have occurred sometime between the late 1940s and the 1970s.

The reference about this incident is in Roland Barthes' book, "Image, Music, Text," published in 1977. On page 27, Barthes described a newspaper displaying a photograph of the royal couple with this headline: "They were near to death, their faces prove it." However, Barthes noted that the couple could not have known about "the accident they had just escaped."

Philip Meggs' mentioned the same incident in his book, "Type & Image," in 1989. He stated that this newspaper was a "London tabloid." Neither author provided more details in their citations.

I submit the following questions to members of this forum:

1) When and where did this incident occur? What were the circumstances?
2) What newspaper published this photo and headline?
3) Does anyone know if digitized forms of this newspaper page or photograph exist?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. My research librarians at University at Albany suggested that I reach out to you.

Warmest regards,

Professor Thomas Palmer
Journalism Program
tpalmer@albany.edu

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Dear colleagues,

Thank you for these responses. I now have the date and ability to acquire this content for my research. It is amazing how so much can be accomplished on this forum in less than a day!

Gratefully,

Professor Palmer

As long as she can get on a horse, even with aid, she will continue to ride. Horses and dogs, her 2 great passions and 2 escapes from duties and life. A passion I love she has shared with her kids and now grandchildren.:flowers:

Marilyn Monroe meets the Queen in 1956 | Daily Mail Online
They were born in the same year and were icons on the world stage - albeit in very different ways.

And now footage showing the moment that glamorous young Queen Elizabeth met the biggest Hollywood star of the day, Marilyn Monroe, in 1956 has emerged.

Marilyn Monroe was in London for the premiere of her then husband Arthur Miller's film The Battle of the River Plate on 29 October 1956.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom