General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression is that a variety of biographers of various sorts (and palace staff) have occasionally revealed more information than what I asked about. Indeed, the DoE has been rather forthcoming (and answered part of my question) in one of his interviews (he gives more interviews than I would have thought).

But I suppose it is best if we research these things for ourselves. I do appreciate the information about the Duke and his BBQ's. My interest came up because of his remark about British women and their cooking (I was wondering what his reference point might be).

One story I remember reading about the Queen and the DoE was pretty amusing to me and kind of showed how like "ordinary folks" they can be.
I don't remember the exact wording of the story nor where I read it at.

The Queen and the Duke decided to have a easy day and relax at the beach one day. It didn't take long before the word was out that they were to be there. While sitting on the beach, the Queen was approached by a couple of women who remarked to her "Oh did you hear! The Queen is to be here today. I sure hope we get to see her". I don't remember what HM replied but it must have tickled her that she wasn't recognized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that story! It seems that such stories get compiled more readily once the person in question is part of history, but since we have the internet, we might as well share them now.

I'm glad to hear that they do go out and about rather more like regular people, once in awhile anyway. The pictures we see of them here in the U.S. always have them looking like they are at state occasions every minute.

The Duke of Ed

Cant help thinking that the Duke could write one hell of an autobiog...... it would be fascinating...
His career in the Royal Navy ... his marriage to the future Queen of England... his membership of the Thursday Club
go here
All of the heroes and villains he's met up with on his Royal travels...
The Duke has seen the world from the inside with privileged access to all levels of society .
If he ever wrote an autobiog.... it would be one fascinating read !

Last edited:
That would be an absolute page turner!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/innocent-days-at-the-thursday-club-1324245.html

The gang of cronies that the Duke of Edinburgh used to gather round him in the 1950s to have a bit of fun away from his serious life at Buckingham Palace. The club was strictly all-male, but that does not mean there were not women at these gatherings. After all, as Arthur Koestler once said to me,

"The extraordinary thing about men at all-male gatherings is that they talk about women non-stop, whereas at mixed functions the men talk only about male hobbies such as sport, politics and cars - never about women, even though there are many women present."

Last edited by a moderator:
kinda dumb but is there a list of Queen Elizabeth's cousins? I only know of one Lady Elizabeth Anson

:previous: George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood, is Queen Elizabeth II first cousin. His mother, Princess Mary the Princess Royal was King Goerge VI's sister.

The Hon. Mrs. Margaret Rhodes is Queen Elizabeth II first cousin. Margaret's mother was Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's sister.

James Carnegie, 3rd Duke of Fife is a great grandson of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, thus he is Queen Elizabeth II and King Harald V's second cousin.

Last edited:
The obvious first cousins are the dukes of Gloucester and Kent, along with Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra. Their respective fathers were the younger brothers of George VI. The Harewoods are the descendents of her father's sister.

Sale of Prince Philip’s Birthplace Causes Uproar on Greek Islands | Greece.GreekReporter.com Latest News from Greece
Government proposals to include a Royal palace on Corfu where Prince Philip was born has sparked off a stream of protests from around the country, mostly from residents on Greek islands who object to the sale of national heritage to pay off the country’s debts. Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, was born at the residence 90 years ago, according to museum records and residents of Corfu, one of Greece’s most popular Greek islands are up in arms over plans to include the palace in sales from state assets.

Prince Philip

A Question Mainly For The Girls, Do You Think Prince Philip Was Handsome When Younger?

Attachments

• Philip 1.jpg
    Philip 1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 12,609
I always did think he was a very dashing kind of guy. :D

Drop dead gorgeous as a young man and still quite handsome at 90.

Watching this I finally see where Charles 'comes from'. Charles is very much his father's son. Running an estate is in Charles' blood - what he saw modeled by his father - and in an enlightened way. Family resemblance in speech patterns, too - though Charles has a distinctive sound to his voice and how he inflects - more measured with each word (influence of having been 'on stage', however short, in his university days, I guess).

Unfortunately cannot see Mia_Mae's videos - they've been removed, it seems. :-(

Last edited:
Why Queen and Prince Philip have separate bedrooms | Mail Online
Why do the Queen and Prince Philip have separate bedrooms? The question is answered by Lady Pamela Hicks, HM’s cousin, in Sally Bedell Smith’s new biography of the monarch, out in February.
Lady Pam explains to Ms Smith, a well-bred American: ‘In England, the upper class always have had separate bedrooms. You don’t want to be bothered with snoring or someone flinging a leg around. Then when you are feeling cozy you share your room sometimes. It is lovely to be able to choose.’ If a monarch can’t avoid flying leg syndrome, who can?

Well, as I understood Victoria and Albert had a joint bedroom indeed...

Queen Elizabeth Banknotes

Below is my small collection of Queen Elizabeth II banknotes . Being a student prevents me from getting more expensive pieces, so if you live in the UK or one of the Commonwealths send me some! JK:D I enjoy seeing how the Queen's image progress throughout the years in these small pieces of art.
SCAN0006.jpg

SCAN0007.jpg

Wow! How do you obtain these? I'd love to have some for my own collection.

Just a question (not worth starting a whole thread for). Will Buckingham Palace receive any special decorations for the Queen's Jubilee? Will there be banners along the Thames for the boat procession?

I know it officially starts on June 1 (the Central Weekend), but will there be signs of the impending celebration in the week before? I am picturing London as looking festive during that time period...

Just a question (not worth starting a whole thread for). Will Buckingham Palace receive any special decorations for the Queen's Jubilee? Will there be banners along the Thames for the boat procession?

I know it officially starts on June 1 (the Central Weekend), but will there be signs of the impending celebration in the week before? I am picturing London as looking festive during that time period...

I doubt that there will be any special decorations for BP as such. They might project and/or light up BP in a similar way to the Golden Jubilee. A suggestion of what might be done can be seen here:

Possible 2012 projection with images of previous projections

You'll probably see more Union Jacks in much the same way as for the Royal Wedding. I particularly liked what Regent Street did for the celebration in April:

Regent Street April 2011

Hope this is the kind of thing you meant.

They did have a banner on the balcony in 2002 which they might do again in 2012.

As the Olympics are only a month or so later they may intersperse the decorations with Olympics ones but I am sure that there will be some decorations - at least along any routes that she travels that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom