General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is directed at me let me reiterate - he can wear a beard, and its the DM making news rather than reporting it.

I queried that he is wearing an army uniform because he doesnt hold an honorary position in an army regiment.

How I understand because someone actually thought it was a reasonable question which I am entitled to ask.

It wasn't actually. ?
If anything it was directed at Daily Mail's silly article.

I just believe it is a question of being practical, since royals by their very nature are in a special situation.

Full Uniform (which includes headdress and cap badges), may be worn on specified official occasions by ex-servicemen, providing the letter 'R' depicting 'Retired' is worn, is provided at individual expense, and agreed in advance,on request, by the relevant MOD department. It is not however a practice which is encouraged; eg. it is not normal for retired officers to wear their old uniform on Remembrance Sunday, or any other occasion, unless the officer was acting in an official or representative capacity.
Thank you. It's really interesting bit of information.

I don’t know if Harry is in the same scenario with his Army commission, but William still holds his three commissions in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. He even got promoted to Major, Lt Commander and Squadron Leader last January. He just is not on active service.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/235537/Prince-Harry-presents-medals-to-Royal-Navy-s-Iraq-heroes

When Harry gave out medals to the Royal Navy. He wore his Army uniform. So I don’t think he can wear a Navy or RAF uniform. Palmer in the article says he can’t.

The idiocy is strong tonight! :ermm:

The Harry-beard has also made it to the news here in DK. (Mainly because the reporters here tend to copy paste from Daily Mail, In this case it's actually the Mirror though).
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-harry-er-havnet-i-stormvejr-efter-regel-brud-han-skuffer-os-alle

Alas, the DK reporter hasn't got the foggiest idea about the military.
Somehow the article reach the conclusion that Harry's rank of cornet is equivalent to a Danish second-lieutenant, which is fairly accurate. But then the bomb falls: A cornet is the second highest rank in a regiment(!) :doh:

Fortunately there is no rope at hand or there would be a good chance I'd be dangling from a tree right now. :bang:

So to you Brits: Our reporters are way more stupid than yours. (We seriously need a thumb-your-nose-smiley)

Harry hasn’t be a Cornet for a long time. That was his rank out of Sandhurst. He left the military as a Captain.

The rule does exist, with the exception of the Pioneer Corp. but he is no longer in the Military so I dont think the rule applies.

Beard ok for the navy; moustaches ok for army and RAF

What I dont understand is why he is wearing that uniform. He does not hold any army post. He does have honourary navy and airforce positions so it would make sense to wear one of those.

When someone leaves the services, they dont carry on wearing their uniform.

There is probably a reason but I have no idea what it is.

EDIT. Have been sent the following by ex army

Full Uniform (which includes headdress and cap badges), may be worn on specified official occasions by ex-servicemen, providing the letter 'R' depicting 'Retired' is worn, is provided at individual expense, and agreed in advance,on request, by the relevant MOD department. It is not however a practice which is encouraged; eg. it is not normal for retired officers to wear their old uniform on Remembrance Sunday, or any other occasion, unless the officer was acting in an official or representative capacity.

Why are any of the veterans wearing military uniform? The royals are certainly not the only ones in atteandance in uniform. And most of those would be retired veterans.

The royals hold honorary positions in the military, even those who never served in the first place (Anne, Edward). They are all considered to hold certain ranks, and wear the uniforms usually of their most senior rank. That is why Harry continues to wear an uniform.

See the same in Canada yesterday. Veterans who haven't served since WWII will still wear their uniform to events. Does anyone question them? Or is it simply royals it seems odd?

Harry retired as a captain. He continues to wear the uniform in official events.

Perhaps having Actually served active duty in the army, he thinks it proper to wear the uniform. Instead of an honorary uniform in a branch he never actually served.

Not sure about the U.K. (or other European service members) but here in the U.S. it is not at all uncommon for retired military personnel to wear their dress uniforms at various events. Weddings, funerals, parades, formal settings and of course anything connected to the military.

LaRae

Not sure about the U.K. (or other European service members) but here in the U.S. it is not at all uncommon for retired military personnel to wear their dress uniforms at various events. Weddings, funerals, parades, formal settings and of course anything connected to the military.

LaRae

Yes. Being American, I didn't even bat an eye seeing Harry in his uniform, because it's a common occurrence here in the US. But perhaps there are different rules in the UK.

Just an opinion of mine but I believe that *anyone* who has ever served their country in the military should proudly wear their uniform whenever they wish to. They gave of their time and their utmost abilities and even sometimes their lives and limbs to protect those of us that remained back home. We owe each and every one of them a debt of lifelong thanks and should veterans continue to wear their uniforms with pride, we are reminded when we see them of their service.

As Leroy Jethro Gibbs says in NCIS, "Once a Marine, always a Marine".

That’s absolutely incredible Pranter. And with all the Harry beard business well, George V had a beard placing wreath at remembrance 1919. Also, this past Veterans Day my son put on his uniform and went out with his brothers, as he says, from the sandbox (Iraq). They meet every year

I still don't know what the big fuss was/is about Harry's beard! He keeps is very well groomed. I think it's quite attractive with it.

LaRae

I just think it was all a storm in a teacup stirred up by very silly and bored tabloid journalists, who were soon put back in their box by a Ministry of Defence spokesman anyway.

Btw, George V was an ex naval man so he was allowed a beard, though there is the point that he wore lots of army uniforms as King, as did his father, while wearing a beard. In more modern times Prince Michael of Kent was a serving military officer, and he's appeared bearded and in uniform.

I agree Prince Philip and Harry do resemble each other, and I like Harry's facial hair, though I think it makes him look older.

I've deleted a number of posts. This thread is not about Meghan, or her relationship with Harry. This thread is for news about Harry.

Harry kinda remind me of Prince Philip, but his Spencer gene takes over.

Geez, those two are like carbon copies.

I know..quite eye opening! I would of never (a few years ago) thought he was going to look so much like Phillip.

LaRae

Harry kinda remind me of Prince Philip, but his Spencer gene takes over.

That photo of Phillip around the same age as Harry is now...very very much like Harry. I don't see much Spencer in him at all.

LaRae

That photo of Phillip around the same age as Harry is now...very very much like Harry. I don't see much Spencer in him at all.

LaRae

That’s because we don’t see Harry with the Spencer side often. Put him up near his cousins and you’ll see it.

Which cousins specifically? He's nothing like Kitty.

LaRae

Louis looks a lot like William...not seeing any Harry there. Nor in Eliza or Amelia.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Which cousins specifically? He's nothing like Kitty.

LaRae

George McCorquodale and Harry have a similar look. George is just a bit thicker.

Yes, I agree. Not so much nowadays but in the teenage years Harry and George looked very much alike.

Harry and George together, I can see it a bit when younger.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9c/17/72/9c1772043bb5c21921b1a52295719619.jpg

Less and less as they grew up
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/80/ef/1a80ef3ccef9181c5f667e0b79632076.jpg

Definitely not now
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content...rince-harry1.jpg?strip=all&w=750&h=500&crop=1

Louis looks a lot like William...not seeing any Harry there. Nor in Eliza or Amelia..

Sorry I don't see it. Other then the fair hair. If anyone, I think William looks a bit more like Alexander Fellowes.

In the pic I saw of Louis looking at the camera with the smile (and in his teens) he resembled William (And Diana) in his looks. Nose/mouth/teeth/expression.

LaRae

That’s because we don’t see Harry with the Spencer side often. Put him up near his cousins and you’ll see it.

He has the Spencer complexion and hair but to me he looks like Philip mostly and a bit of Charles.

I can see Charles's eyes and the top of the bridge of the nose in Harry, but if he continues to resemble Philip as he becomes older he will be very lucky as Philip has marvellous bone structure and aged well.

Harry has never had the good looks Phillip did in his day. Although certainly Harry is attractive enough!

LaRae

He's regarded as one of the more affable members of the royal family but a fellow polo player has dubbed Prince Harry 'a spoiled brat'.

Beau Skerrett, an Australian polo player, revealed that he was embroiled in a fleeting tussle with the redhead royal on the polo pitch back in 2014 - even telling Prince Harry to 'f*** off' during the tiff.

Speaking to the Courier Mail, the Queensland-based player who has been playing professionally for 12 years, said: 'Harry loses his cool (on the field). He is a spoiled brat.'
Read more: Australian polo player told Prince Harry to 'f*** off' | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom