General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@MaiaMia. Hey, you know me well enough by now to know that books are my passion. Write on m'friend. You make some excellent points and I always enjoy your posts. :flowers:

@M. Payton. You stole my line! Are we related from somewhere? ;) Of course I don't have any gum to bet with as gum and me just do not go hand in hand.

Interesting point you bring up that Harry's "ordinary" will not, cannot and never will be the same as most of the general population's "ordinary". I can understand where he's coming from though with that. I've always thought that it would be horrific to be so well known that I couldn't pop into the local grocery store with my grubby clothes on and just do my thing without being noticed. How embarrassing to cut the cheese at the most inopportune moment and have it be the next day's headlines of "The Flatulence Heard Around The World". So many things we see as ordinary, those always in the public eye see as blessings. The wondrous perks of those that "have it all" are admired by us immensely sometimes but sometimes they'd like to pitch it all away and live in a remote cave somewhere where nobody bothers them. Its kind of like the "grass is greener" kind of thing I think. We all have those kind of thoughts here and there.

BTW: Y'all say a nice, welcoming "hello" to my sister M. Payton. I've finally convinced her to join me here in creating mayhem and chaos and oh wait... we don't do that here. We discuss mayhem and chaos sometimes though. :D

Last edited:
Just a great comment RN and I so agree with RJ on her comment about Harry........He needs to be very quiet for a very long time now, I bet my last stick of gum his brother, father, grandmother and grandfather are wanting to shake him and toss him in the dungeon so he learns to shut the heck up..........we the people need and want the monarchy and he has no clue what *ordinary* really is...

:previous: :lol: Well, what are you going to have done to that young 'reprobate' PH if he doesn't 'be quiet for a very long time now'??? Collar him and have him tarred and feathered and run out of the royal family on a rail? :p

Harry is reportedly in Africa now, communing with endangered elephants. Maybe he should just stay there where he'll be closer to Sentebale, the charity honoring his and his African friend's mothers. He'll probably be a lot happier. Or maybe if he and MM decide to marry, Harry will simply uproot and spend most of his time in America. I'm not even entirely sure that Harry desires MM to completely curtail her acting career. I feel certain that most Americans would welcome the ginger prince with open arms, just as they did his increasingly maligned mother who is in a place now where none of the OTT criticism of her has any meaning or resonance whatsoever.

And I will restate the below from one of my earlier posts:

I do believe that there are likely some members of the royal family who frankly don't feel the need to hold onto being royal just for the sake of being royal. Some of them, especially the younger royals might be perfectly fine with the gradual end of the monarchy, or at least with putting an end to some of the more antiquated rituals and protocol. They may be caught between a rock and a hard place in how they feel about the institution. Respect and dutifulness on the one hand, but also frustration and impatience on the other hand with all the confining strictures and some of the annoyances involving royal courtiers, intrusive media and unending public criticism from all sides.

If the monarchy is pushed to its limits by all this constant criticism and tabloid frenzy, then it will be the royal courtiers and the royal journalists, paps, tabloids, and royal gossip-mongers who will suffer losses to their livelihoods. That's partly why there's all the scolding from journalists who report on the royals. They are likely nervous about their main source of bread-and-butter income. The public who have tended to take the royals and the so-called 'magic,' for granted will also feel the loss. The royal family will simply move on to other pursuits, many of them most likely with a vast sense of relief and freedom!

Such a scenario of course is unlikely to happen anytime soon. I do feel that Charles and his sons are dedicated to carrying on their royal duties when QE II passes. But there have already been numerous indications that the royal family is gearing up for significant changes as the 21st-century gallops forward. Plus, we don't truly have a clue where the world itself is heading, especially with the specter of climate change. Most of us won't be around to find out how everything turns out either, but with the serious nature of where things stand now in the world, all bets are off.

Last edited:
Interesting point you bring up that Harry's "ordinary" will not, cannot and never will be the same as most of the general population's "ordinary". I can understand where he's coming from though with that. I've always thought that it would be horrific to be so well known that I couldn't pop into the local grocery store with my grubby clothes on and just do my thing without being noticed. How embarrassing to cut the cheese at the most inopportune moment and have it be the next day's headlines of "The Flatulence Heard Around The World". So many things we see as ordinary, those always in the public eye see as blessings. The wondrous perks of those that "have it all" are admired by us immensely sometimes but sometimes they'd like to pitch it all away and live in a remote cave somewhere where nobody bothers them. Its kind of like the "grass is greener" kind of thing I think. We all have those kind of thoughts here and there.

Osipi-very well said. I think mundane everyday activities are not seen in the same light when it is not possible or becomes difficult to even do them.

I wanted out, confesses Harry the reluctant prince | Daily Mail Online

1. They want the monarchy to last? It's not going to last if he doesn't shut up.

2. That prince reminds me more and more of Diana and he's really starting to irritate me.

First let me say that I don't believe Harry meant anything he said disrespectfully towards the Queen or the Monarchy. I just don't think he thought through what he said and it is easy to see why the press is running away with this. They probably know as well that the way they are twisting it is not true, but it sells papers and that is all they care about. I wish he would not give them ammunition. I am a little disturbed by the statement that you have in bold. Again, I believe he meant it only in the best of ways, but why does he not think the monarchy can go on as it has under the Queen? What is she doing wrong? The Monarchy is doing good right now. The last thing it needs is a member of the family finding fault with it and publicly stating it. All that is going to do is give the anti-monarchists fuel for their fire. I think the Queen has been and is passionate about the Monarchy. She pledged her whole life to it and has lived that out. At the rate she is going, she may live another 10 - 12 years. So if he wants to "modernize" it, he may have to wait awhile. In saying it can't go on as it has under her, many people could imagine that he is impatiently sitting around waiting until it can be "modernized." While I don't think Harry meant anything negatively towards the Queen in what he said in any way, it sounds very disrespectful on the face of it. I just think he was rash and did not think things through. I hope he is thinking now and will refrain from anymore interviews such as this.

Why on earth do you care so much about 'curtseying'??? I would imagine that those in the public who meet the royals and feel curtseying is such a 'thing,' can continue to do so out of admiration and respect. Possibly its more that Prince Harry and other younger royals feel that curtseying protocol amongst 'lesser' and 'major' members of the firm is rather silly, antiquated and unnecessary. Excepting of course from showing the Queen, Prince Philip and other venerable elders due respect.

What do you mean when you say, 'the more ordinary they become...' They are all human beings, not mythical creatures. :blink: I truly doubt any member of the royal family are overly concerned about people who profess to being willing to 'lose interest' in them for strange reasons. :p

Once Diana, Princess of Wales was stripped of her 'HRH' title after the divorce from Prince Charles, fourteen-year-old Prince William reportedly told her, "Don't worry Mummy, I will give it back to you one day when I am king."

According to protocol, after being stripped of 'HRH,' Diana was supposed to curtsey to other members of the royal family, including her own sons! :ermm:

First of all, I know they are human beings and not mythical creatures, but the reason people are so interested in them is because they are different in some way than "commoners". They receive a curtsy for that reason. They have a whole "rule book" on who curtsys to whom. There is a mystery about them and that is what keeps them interesting. And them maintaining people's interest is very important to the Monarchy continuing to exist. If enough people become uninterested, for whatever reason, there is a chance they will cease to exist at some point. But you are entitled to express you opinion and I am entitled to express mine. We can be civil and agree to disagree.

:previous: @duchessrachel, we can and will continue to disagree on many things and there's nothing wrong with that. IMO, there's no guarantee that the monarchy will or even has to continue to exist. Although, I tend to believe that it will last at least for the foreseeable future, but as Harry said, there will be some changes. He's not stating that off the top of his head either, so I think it's quite clear there has been discussion about it among lead members of the family. In the recent news videos about Harry's interview, it was specifically stated that Harry referred to changes the royal firm is making regarding technology usage and savvy in updating how they communicate with the larger world.

If you actually read all of my earlier posts, you will see where I stated that we will never all have the same opinions or perceptions. Like I said, I think it always pays for me to examine exactly where I'm coming from and why I think the way I do, rather than just projecting out my thoughts without any self-awareness or self-analysis of my motivations, and reflection on how the experiences I've had in life impact my viewpoints on a variety of topics.

There is so much truth to what I think you are saying about the 'magic' of royalty. A lot of people feel that the royal family need to maintain an air of mystery and mystique. This is not something that the British royal family hasn't already been grappling with for a very long time. They've always had to adjust over the centuries to changing times, culturally, politically, socially, militarily, and economically. In the early 1970s, there was a great deal of discussion in royal quarters about whether to shed more light on the mysteries of the royal family. It was decided that a documentary should be made showing the family barbecuing on the grounds of one of their country estates. Ever since then, there's been a difficult push and pull between how much is too much to reveal about the inner workings of their lives. They've certainly struggled in recent decades with figuring out how to maintain a fine balance, without upsetting the royal applecart.

In the 1960s as a teenager, it was decided that Princess Anne would be sent to school outside the palace walls. She was the first royal child of a British monarch to do so (according to the documentary I saw recently). It made little difference to the formation of Princess Anne's already strong, unruffled personality. But there's a lot to be said for not having to grow up cloistered inside palace walls, particularly in the world that exists today. It was very important to the shaping of William's and Harry's personalities that their parents sent them to school with other children at a young age. And it was even more important that their mother took them out to amusement parks, shopping malls, hospitals and homeless shelters. Diana wanted them to experience and to understand what the real world is like and to rub shoulders with people on a genuine, human level. She did not want them to grow up with stuck-up, spoiled and superior attitudes. In that respect, she succeeded admirably.

None of us who aren't royal can know the extent of the price so many royals have had to pay for being born into the royal family. Yes, their family histories are larger than life and serve as a type of emblematic touchstone, inspiration, and often as a cautionary universal example of human failings, for the people of their country and the Commonwealth (much like the Kennedy family have been to Americans). But again, at what price?

Osipi-very well said. I think mundane everyday activities are not seen in the same light when it is not possible or becomes difficult to even do them.

So true @O-H Anglophile, and beautifully stated by @Osipi.

Your comments remind me of Michelle Obama looking forward to leaving the White House so she could engage in mundane activities like shopping at the drugstore and being able to open a window in her own house. Windows are nailed shut and immoveable in the White House.

Last edited:
:previous: :lol: Well, what are you going to have done to that young 'reprobate' PH if he doesn't 'be quiet for a very long time now'??? Collar him and have him tarred and feathered and run out of the royal family on a rail? :p

No, running away from the family for they are the ones to tar and feather him if they chose. I would like for him to stay a long time in Africa, I have a love of those magnificent animals there, he has done wonders in helping elephants with his charity and in educating the people, so buy a hut or whatever suits his fancy and live there part of the year each year........he seems like his brother to love the country and wants to do good so maybe lots of time there away from pressures he faces at home would do wonders for him. He just needs to know that his *ordinary* is not the same as the *ordinary* for the general population...he will never be ordinary in this lifetime.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I think Harry would love it if he could spend a lot of his time in Africa. Both William and Harry have a love affair going on with that country.

On the other hand, I think Harry also knows what a golden platform he's been given in order to make a difference in this world and has stated so before. He'll find his niche and his balance in things as time passes I'm sure. He's very good at what he does and an asset (for the most part) for his family. I do believe it would be a huge loss for the monarchy if, by chance, they should lose him.

?.........

2. If I had not seen the tweet from Dickie Arbiter I wouldn't have read the letter from Rachel Johnson either.

3. Dickie Arbiter - pro Diana/Harry, praised both of them often in the past. And I for one liked his book (that was after I read it.)

4. Rachel Johnson - pro Harry, praised him in the past.

5. And as Mbruno wrote, it's not only the DF who have a problem with this. Almost everyone I talks too are pretty angry with him.

I'm not sure why Dickie would recommend PH read that poorly constructed DM article by Rachel Johnson? My question to Dickie would be, did he read Johnson's article and did he read the Newsweek article? I have read both and it is clear that Johnson's article should not be referenced as an example of a quality opinion piece.

Is Dickie recommending the article so PH and other people can see how a journalist can slap something together without fact checking and taking segments of the Newsweek interview out of context? Perhaps Dickie was just being sarcastic by saying PH should read Rachel Johnson's poorly written article? There are good and professional journalists unemployed while this Johnson person is writing rubbish that is actually being recommended by people to read. And if Dickie actually thinks that this article should be referred then it speaks volumes about his poor journalistic standards.

Just a great comment RN and I so agree with RJ on her comment about Harry........He needs to be very quiet for a very long time now, I bet my last stick of gum his brother, father, grandmother and grandfather are wanting to shake him and toss him in the dungeon so he learns to shut the heck up..........we the people need and want the monarchy and he has no clue what *ordinary* really is, shopping for your groceries is not the only ordinary thing we done in life, we face the hard times when money is short, when the car breaks down, when the lease is up and wonder what the rent increase will be..........those are some of the ordinary that he will never face.........so please Prince Harry, do what you do best, promote your charities and be very still and quiet and listen to others who know best for you still have lots of growing up to do.
Thanks! And I agree with everything.

First let me say that I don't believe Harry meant anything he said disrespectfully towards the Queen or the Monarchy. I just don't think he thought through what he said and it is easy to see why the press is running away with this. They probably know as well that the way they are twisting it is not true, but it sells papers and that is all they care about. I wish he would not give them ammunition. I am a little disturbed by the statement that you have in bold. Again, I believe he meant it only in the best of ways, but why does he not think the monarchy can go on as it has under the Queen? What is she doing wrong? The Monarchy is doing good right now. The last thing it needs is a member of the family finding fault with it and publicly stating it. All that is going to do is give the anti-monarchists fuel for their fire. I think the Queen has been and is passionate about the Monarchy. She pledged her whole life to it and has lived that out. At the rate she is going, she may live another 10 - 12 years. So if he wants to "modernize" it, he may have to wait awhile. In saying it can't go on as it has under her, many people could imagine that he is impatiently sitting around waiting until it can be "modernized." While I don't think Harry meant anything negatively towards the Queen in what he said in any way, it sounds very disrespectful on the face of it. I just think he was rash and did not think things through. I hope he is thinking now and will refrain from anymore interviews such as this.
1. I'm in fact very disturbed by it, and I know that many others are too.

2. I don't think Harry meant anything disrespectfully towards the Queen either, but as you wrote, It sounded like it.

I wanted out, confesses Harry the reluctant prince | Daily Mail Online
Yet the truth is that Harry is surprisingly thoughtful about the future of the Monarchy, saying that he and William would like to pull it into the 21st Century.

‘We want to make sure the Monarchy lasts and are passionate about what it stands for,’ he explains. ‘We feel that the British public and the whole world needs institutions like this – but it can’t go on as it has done under the Queen.

‘There will be changes and pressure to get them right. Things are moving so fast, especially because of social media, so we are involved in modernising the Monarchy.

‘We are not doing this for ourselves but for the greater good of the people and the Monarchy we represent. There is so much negative in the world – we as a family try to bring something positive.’

I think Harry has had a Freudian Slip, as the saying goes. :flowers: He is revealing more than he intends.

There has always been a line of thinking that William (and Harry) are not really fond of the royal/charity lifestyle, and would prefer to do less rather than more. I think Harry's comment about 'modernizing the Monarchy' is basically an admission that under William (not under Charles) the Monarchy is going to look very different, suited to the wishes of William (and Harry).

Unless, it just struck me, there is a disagreement taking place with their father as we speak. :ermm: Now that's possible. Charles may be expecting William and Harry to start stepping-up their royal events calendars, given Philip retiring and The Queen markedly slowing down. William and Harry may not be wanting/willing to step-up. Interesting possibility. Which would mean Harry's comments are a PR attempt to float the pull-back in royal duties as 'modernizing the Monarchy'. If this is the case, it's a very astute strategy that seems to have (at least temporarily) back-fired.

Last edited:
Unless, it just struck me, there is a disagreement taking place with their father as we speak.
I think that's one wild theory. But if you read the next sentence, it doesn't really hold up.

‘There will be changes and pressure to get them right. Things are moving so fast, especially because of social media, so we are involved in modernising the Monarchy.

Oh to be a fly on the wall and not have to guess, imagine or interpret.

I think that's one wild theory. But if you read the next sentence, it doesn't really hold up.

Just realized, the idea came to me as I read his words again, O-H Anglophile, in your post, that Harry may be talking about marriage to Meghan. :flowers: That would be modernizing the monarchy if she continues to work, has her own ideas, they live in another country perhaps, etc.

Social media is definitely having an impact. Hmmm. ;)

Last edited:
Harry also says 'as a family we try to bring something positive' (against all the negativity in the world.) That hardly sounds as if he is going to leave the family and go and live elsewhere. Especially as, in another part of the interview he stresses how much he enjoys his charity work and cheering people up. That's more a view surely that he intends to go on doing that (and bringing his wife into it if and when he marries, though he refused to discuss Meghan.)

Also, his and both the Cambridges' engagement numbers are up this year on last's. I believe Harry's are over 70 as of now, according to Cepe Smith. Charles and his sons' relationship at the moment may be strained. I don't know, but it would hardly be about the engagement numbers on this year's figures.

[...]
According to protocol, after being stripped of 'HRH,' Diana was supposed to curtsey to other members of the royal family, including her own sons! :ermm:

To go down the knees or to bow is always optional and never an obligation. I am sure that Diana, Princess of Wales (or Lady Diana Al Fayed, whatever), still alive, would never go down her knees for her own sons and I think William and Harry would not expect this from their mother either.

Last edited:
I really like Prince Harry , and I am very sorry about what happened to his mother, losing a parent it horrid especially one so young, but I don't want to know weather they are keen or not keen on royal life , they have had a lot of good times and good opportunity's because of there position that they are in , I know its hard having a private life being royal , but you can manage it .

Basically, I found Harry's statement about "modernizing the monarchy" as something that has been ongoing already for a while. The BRF does plan things well in advance on how the "Firm" is going to go into the future and I think Harry was reflecting on that.

Just in the time I've been here on TRF, I've noticed the changes. The foundation is one where a lot of Will, Kate and Harry's charity work is done under an umbrella and even with global support. We've seen the monarchy itself jump into social media with Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and the elimination, at times, of the mainstream media to get information out.

These things add to the statement that Harry said (words from Royal Norway's quote) ‘We want to make sure the Monarchy lasts and are passionate about what it stands for,’ he explains. ‘We feel that the British public and the whole world needs institutions like this – but it can’t go on as it has done under the Queen."

Elizabeth II became Queen in 1952. The monarch at that time was still pretty much secular for the British monarchy and the focus was Crown and country and its people. Over 65 years we have shrunk more and more into a global society. This point is well shown by looking at those of us that post in the British royal threads. We come from all over the world with an interest in them. I think Harry means that its very much recognized that the British monarchy is now even an important institution globally and changes are needed to adapt to that.

I have seen no indication that there's been any kind of infighting with agendas in the family whatsoever. If anything, with the announcement of Philip's retirement, an emphasis was put on "Team Windsor" What better way to transition the face of a monarchy between the old and the new than working as a team to implement it? We still see the Queen in her traditional roles and doing things the way she's always done it but yet with the advent of the younger royals more and more on the stage, we see the fresh, new ways of doing things and how they do it. In between, we see Charles and Camilla, the middle stabilizing anchor holding it all together. I would even go as far as to suggest that Charles' reign will be seen as a "transitional reign".

I don't know. These are just thoughts that occurred to me of what might be.

Oh I think Harry would love it if he could spend a lot of his time in Africa. Both William and Harry have a love affair going on with that country.

On the other hand, I think Harry also knows what a golden platform he's been given in order to make a difference in this world and has stated so before. He'll find his niche and his balance in things as time passes I'm sure. He's very good at what he does and an asset (for the most part) for his family. I do believe it would be a huge loss for the monarchy if, by chance, they should lose him.

From what I have read other members of the BRF do also (including now dead ones).

LaRae

CBC News article with another perspective on Harry's comments.

""...."I think there are very striking similarities to Prince Philip's comments in Canada in the 1960s about how monarchy exists for the people rather than for the monarch," says Carolyn Harris..."

'Bit of a loose cannon': Why Prince Harry's musings on the monarchy may not be so surprising after all - World - CBC News

There's a name I haven't seen in a long time. Carolyn Harris. I wonder if she's still around TRF at all. She had some wonderful posts to her credit. :D

Basically, I found Harry's statement about "modernizing the monarchy" as something that has been ongoing already for a while. The BRF does plan things well in advance on how the "Firm" is going to go into the future and I think Harry was reflecting on that.

Just in the time I've been here on TRF, I've noticed the changes. The foundation is one where a lot of Will, Kate and Harry's charity work is done under an umbrella and even with global support. We've seen the monarchy itself jump into social media with Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and the elimination, at times, of the mainstream media to get information out.

These things add to the statement that Harry said (words from Royal Norway's quote) ‘We want to make sure the Monarchy lasts and are passionate about what it stands for,’ he explains. ‘We feel that the British public and the whole world needs institutions like this – but it can’t go on as it has done under the Queen."

Elizabeth II became Queen in 1952. The monarch at that time was still pretty much secular for the British monarchy and the focus was Crown and country and its people. Over 65 years we have shrunk more and more into a global society. This point is well shown by looking at those of us that post in the British royal threads. We come from all over the world with an interest in them. I think Harry means that its very much recognized that the British monarchy is now even an important institution globally and changes are needed to adapt to that.

I have seen no indication that there's been any kind of infighting with agendas in the family whatsoever. If anything, with the announcement of Philip's retirement, an emphasis was put on "Team Windsor" What better way to transition the face of a monarchy between the old and the new than working as a team to implement it? We still see the Queen in her traditional roles and doing things the way she's always done it but yet with the advent of the younger royals more and more on the stage, we see the fresh, new ways of doing things and how they do it. In between, we see Charles and Camilla, the middle stabilizing anchor holding it all together. I would even go as far as to suggest that Charles' reign will be seen as a "transitional reign".

I don't know. These are just thoughts that occurred to me of what might be.

It will be interesting to see how things change after Charles is King...and then William (should we all be alive still).....it definately sounds more and more like there's going to be some real streamlining of how things are done...all the 'functions' we see the Queen doing won't probably be seen again...smaller core group (so can we expect only the direct members of the King to be working for the most part after the bigger group retires or dies off?).

Perhaps a focus on charity work as the core....keep the major events like Ascot, the Garden party (couple of the big ones) but all the little ribbon cutting type ceremonies gone?

Interesting...perhaps we aren't going to see Charles move into the palace either...he will maintain his place at Clarence House and the palace will be for tourists any perhaps offices? Makes sense.

William/Harry will have main houses outside London with their 'apartments' at KP.

LaRae

Was Carolyn a poster here, Osipi? How wonderful. I do agree with her comments, of course. I'd forgotten that remark of Prince Philip's. Thankyou for posting the link, DeeT. Enjoyed the article very much!

If I'm remembering right she did post quite a few of the pieces that she wrote but for the life of me, I cannot remember her member name at all. Oh for a brain that retains things the way it used to.

Now, it'll most likely come to me at 4am in the morning when I'm just about to fall asleep.

I'm still here! - I've been busy in recent years writing books:

Magna Carta and Its Gifts to Canada (Dundurn 2015)

https://www.dundurn.com/books/Magna-Carta-and-Its-Gifts-Canada

Queenship and Revolution in Early Modern Europe

Queenship and Revolution in Early Modern Europe - | Carolyn Harris | Palgrave Macmillan

Raising Royalty: 1000 Years of Royal Parenting (which of course includes info about William&Harry's upbringing!)

https://www.dundurn.com/books/Raising-Royalty

Links to all my articles and interviews are available on my website www.royalhistorian.com

Last edited:
There she is!!! :clap::clap: Now I know I'll be able to sleep come 4 a.m. :D

I'm now interested in reading Raising Royalty. I'm about to read a book that I have on order called "King Kaiser Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led" by Catrine Clay and this book sounds like an excellent "go along" book that would widen the perspectives. Also it would add to the perspectives of the environment Harry was raised in and how its changed over the decades.

Nothing pleases a bookaholic more than finding more books.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how things change after Charles is King...and then William (should we all be alive still).....it definately sounds more and more like there's going to be some real streamlining of how things are done...all the 'functions' we see the Queen doing won't probably be seen again...smaller core group (so can we expect only the direct members of the King to be working for the most part after the bigger group retires or dies off?).

Perhaps a focus on charity work as the core....keep the major events like Ascot, the Garden party (couple of the big ones) but all the little ribbon cutting type ceremonies gone?

Interesting...perhaps we aren't going to see Charles move into the palace either...he will maintain his place at Clarence House and the palace will be for tourists any perhaps offices? Makes sense.

William/Harry will have main houses outside London with their 'apartments' at KP.

LaRae

When we look at foreign monarchies, we see that often the monarch does not reside at all in the "headquarters":

King Felipe V of Spain lives at La Zarzuela and not the Royal Palace in Madrid.

King Philippe of Belgium lives at the Château de Laeken and not the Royal Palace in Brussels.

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden lives at Drottningholm Palace and not the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg lives at Schloss Berg and not the Grand-Ducal Palace in Luxembourg.

King Willem-Alexander will move to Huis ten Bosch Palace and not the Royal Palace in Amsterdam.

Etc.

So King Charles living at Clarence House and use Buckingham Palace for official events is quite in line with the practice in other monarchies.

Denmark is an exception as the Queen indeed lives in one of the four mansions which together form Amalienborg Palace, but she still maintains the tradition of having different residences throughout the year (Marselisborg, Fredensborg, etc.).

Last edited:

I just viewed your table of contents and this is now a must have for my collection of books. I so love the history of Europe and the Ancient Near East. In reading history books we don't learn just about the past but of things that can help us with today, if only more people would read history books then the world would be a better place for all of us. Thank you for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom