General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its gone beyond the actual interview. It is now soundbite chinese whispers.
Its on the BBC news, republican sites and newspapers.

It doesnt matter what he thought he was saying, this is what is in print. Royal fans can excuse him but the fact is he has given an interview that was
1. without any editorial control ( new PR staff needed, pref from BP)
2. No understanding of the implications when he read the final version ( and if he didnt see it, ref #1 above)
3. Naive

Sorry I'm on repeat but he has to stop with the personal and get back to (aka start) real work which involves all the people he serves.

^ Harry has performed over 60 engagements this year, which is on a par with or above what his brother and sister in law have done. He has the Invictus Games, the charity he himself began, coming up later this year.

This is a storm in a teacup that will be over in a couple of days. Republicans are forever leaping on something or other, and it means little.

His Mother was insanely reckless in her interviews with the Press, and this particular Apple hasn't 'fallen far from the Tree'.. fortunately William knows better...

^ Harry has performed over 60 engagements this year, which is on a par with or above what his brother and sister in law have done. He has the Invictus Games, the charity he himself began, coming up later this year.

This is a storm in a teacup that will be over in a couple of days. Republicans are forever leaping on something or other, and it means little.

Just a comment that is not to be taken literally: maybe the fictional depictions of RF members in the infamous Charles III play have some measure of truth after all, i.e. I could see Harry "petioning to become a commoner" (which is not really possible BTW), if royal duty got in the way of his private life.

His Mother was insanely reckless in her interviews with the Press, and this particular Apple hasn't 'fallen far from the Tree'.. fortunately William knows better...

William has made mistakes as well. I remember the wide ranging interview he gave to a magazine a few weeks ago which caused some discussion on this forum.
But of course those who dislike Harry and disliked his mother will draw their own conclusions about one sentence in a quite long Newsweek article, which I sincerely hope you have read, Wyvale, (and any other posters rushing to judgement.)

Last edited:
Its gone beyond the actual interview. It is now soundbite chinese whispers.
Its on the BBC news, republican sites and newspapers.

It doesnt matter what he thought he was saying, this is what is in print. Royal fans can excuse him but the fact is he has given an interview that was
1. without any editorial control ( new PR staff needed, pref from BP)
2. No understanding of the implications when he read the final version ( and if he didnt see it, ref #1 above)
3. Naive

Sorry I'm on repeat but he has to stop with the personal and get back to (aka start) real work which involves all the people he serves.
Agree!

And we that supports the monarchy and want it to succeed well into the 21st century shall be very glad/relieved about that.

I posted this back in April -

Personally, I'm not a fan of the over-sharing that the Queen's grandchildren seem to do. To me it's the emotional equivalent of posting a selfie on social media. So while others are clapping, I'm cringing. It's important to talk about your feelings and struggles, with family and friends, and professional therapists if the conflict doesn't resolve itself, but the need to air it out to millions of strangers - it reminds me all too much of the wailing Sarah did on Oprah, or Diana's tell-alls. I like the old-school ways better. I like that Edward, Alexandra, and Michael don't bemoan to the media on a yearly basis the early loss of their father. I'm sure they dealt with the pain and frustration with those closest to them, but they don't seek the PR or the emotional validation from millions of strangers.

Now months after this post, I'm even more staunch on my views of oversharing. Harry, especially, is a verbal loose cannon. He definitely seems to have inherited his mother's and Uncle Earl Spencer's media tendencies. Spencer brain, indeed.

Until he learns to filter himself better, his future interviews need to be heavily restricted to only talking about his charitable interests.

Meghan seems quite media/pr savvy. She's got to be shaking her head at his rookie mistake. If they stay together, hopefully she will take him under her wing with media handling. She might be the one person he'll actually take advice from.

As other posters have mentioned, KP media/pr staff needs to be overhauled. We've had several gripes about them, and they are seemingly becoming worse instead of better.

Last edited:
General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 -

All of this fuss over one sentence that everyone has said in one way or another. It's nothing new.

It's too bad really. The article was positive talking about Harry's personal and professional growth, how well he relates to people, how he picks causes he's passionate about etc.

The article noted he said very little about William, Kate and Charles. And that he was guarded. No surprise really. The article is mostly about a combination of his improved mental health and him accepting and enthusiastically embracing his professional life. It's not really personal. The only person he talked about personally was his mother, I think. And most of what he said about her in general surrounded her professional legacy and continuing it. And talking about his mother goes to the mental health issue that he's promoting.

Last edited:
Just a comment that is not to be taken literally: maybe the fictional depictions of RF members in the infamous Charles III play have some measure of truth after all, i.e. I could see Harry "petioning to become a commoner" (which is not really possible BTW), if royal duty got in the way of his private life.

It's interesting that you mention Charles III, since William is portrayed as something of a villain for plotting to seize the throne because he does want it.

So it's simultaneously considered unseemly for a royal to be seen to want the top job, and foolish for a royal to deny wanting the top job.

I can't imagine why any royals struggle with the whole thing. :whistling:

Yes, Erin, one sentence in a very wide-ranging interview that few posters seem to have read. Most of it, as others have said, was overwhelmingly positive.

Last edited:
I'd say there's been quite a few royals who didn't want it....and not just starting with David.

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is. You'd have to almost be a sadist to 'want' to be the King/Queen...or super power hungry and governed by ambition.

I don't see anything wrong with what Harry said..no one 'wants' the job however it's their duty and they buck up and do it.

LaRae

So it's simultaneously considered unseemly for a royal to be seen to want the top job, and foolish for a royal to deny wanting the top job.

BINGO!!!! I agree hel.

I applaud Harry for being honest and pure about everything.

And now he has been accused by Kate Williams for ''criticizing the beloved Queen'', something he didn't do at all, but he should be very careful now because the experts/commentators (intentionally) misunderstands everything he says.

Its been stated that the Newsweek article stemmed from Newsweek following Harry around for year and the interview was a part of that which was done last October.

The release date therefore, really doesn't reflect on Harry, the royal family or anyone besides the editors and publishers that put the whole thing together.

Osipi, can you recall the source that stated that the sit down occurred in October? I haven't been able to find it.

And now he has been accused by Kate Williams for ''criticizing the beloved Queen'', something he didn't do at all, but he should be very careful now because the experts/commentators (intentionally) misunderstands everything he says.

Or perhaps it is those who are whipping up the frenzy and accusing Prince Harry of something he did not say who should be careful as it shows those so called experts as lacking integrity and professionalism. People who are illiterate or have not read the Newsweek article may be mislead, however people who are honest, even those who may not agree with Harry giving an interview know what was written.

For too long 'journalists, insiders, courtiers, anonymous friends, so called Royal experts etc have given their 2nd and 3rd hand opinion about William's and Harry's feelings. Now we get to hear their own opinion, I am looking forward to the upcoming television interviews William and Harry have planned in remembrance of their wonderful mother, Diana.

I agree with this, but when he says: ''Is there any one of the royal family who wants to be king or queen? I don’t think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time'', then the manipulating British press will of course write that Harry says no-one in the royal family wants to be monarchs. And therefore he must think before he says things like this.

Well, he should know what his family thinks.

Anyway, even if I were against Harry giving this interview, which I'm not, I won't be too worried.
What is preferable? Harry, who is frank and honest (within reason of course) or Harry who is always guarded and careful about what he says?
I know which Harry I prefer.

He may get some heat for what he says or as in this case being quoted out of context, but at least he's genuine. He's human.

I think more people can relate to the "open and genuine" Harry that the guarded and careful Harry.
And keep in mind, he's not the heir let alone the monarch, he can get away with more.

There was nothing in this interview indicating that he in any way wished to shake the monarchy and rock the boat.

I think it's healthy that the public is allowed to learn first hand that royals are human being too. That they have feelings and misgivings, doubts but also a sense of duty and a willingness to take on his duties.

The argument elsewhere about Harry just giving up his life as a royal is unrealistic. That would seriously rock the boat! It's not a serious option for any senior member of the BRF, Harry very much being one. It would also be letting his brother down, and I doubt Harry would do that.

What I saw in that interview was a man who was daunted by his future role, who was insecure, who was not particularly keen on a life that has been forced upon him and which he can't escape. That in my opinion is a pretty healthy approach to such a job.
Now he has reconciled himself with his fate, with his job. He is putting his mark on issues. He obviously feels he is helping make a difference to other people and he is looking forward to doing more like that. - That I think is pretty admirable.

In other monarchies similar interviews have been given, with royals expressing basically the same thing as Harry.
King Willem-Alexander about his misgivings as a young man. Frederik hinting he considered suicide. Victoria and her anorexia, because she felt she couldn't live up to her role and what people expected of her. - All three of them are now immensely popular.
So I don't really understand the issue here.

Meghan seems quite media/pr savvy. She's got to be shaking her head at his rookie mistake. If they stay together, hopefully she will take him under her wing with media handling. She might be the one person he'll actually take advice from.

I wouldn't bet on it. :cool: Diana wouldn't listen, Harry may be the same. (But that relationship is a long-shot for the long haul imo. Don't hold breath). ;)

As William said in his recent interview, the media is hungry for drama and a soap from members of the royal family. I think this hunger extends to some royal watchers and followers online. Harry's words were misinterpreted and twisted and people ended losing their minds.

Also, some of the media establishment somehow think the younger members of the royal family shouldn't establish a balance between official duties and a private life. They want the young royals to give and give and give for the next 30 or so years without breaks and a personal life. THats not going to happen.

As William said in his recent interview, the media is hungry for drama and a soap from members of the royal family. I think this hunger extends to some royal watchers and followers online. Harry's words were misinterpreted and twisted and people ended losing their minds.

Losing their minds? :unsure: Do you mean that, or was it a slip of auto-correct? :cool:

Lord. I'm glad William is the older one...
And, to be honest, that's not saying much.

In lieu of facebook, we get this. TMI and unfortunately both Willam and Harry come across as overprivileged whingers. If they want to spend their time navel-gazing in private, that is their own business. Bemoaning the way their lives have played out with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight gives me the screaming irrites.

There are aspects of life I can give leeway on, the funeral walk because he was much too young to understand exactly what was involved, to be honest, no one other than he and William will ever be in such a position again. But history also tells us that nobody forced him to do that and if he wants to look back in anger, his family is not who he should be looking at.

IMO both Harry and William needed less "ordinary" and more "royal". When you think of their ages and what they have achieved it's not an awful lot. William's "job" keeps his flying hours up and OK Harry's career was, to all intents and purposes, taken away in this age of instant communications which made his army situation untenable.

But fair dues! Ordinary men and women would be on the dole in their situations and competing for jobs with younger, more qualified people. They witter on about "Ordinary" yet do not live ordinary lives, they are merely acquainted with some of those who do. Harry's work with ex-servicemen is at least something that can be quantified as can his participation in Mental Health Ads. Harry buys his chops in a supermarket and thinks that makes him 'ordinary'. He is royal and should be pulling his royal weight and following Queen Mary's famous dictum ‘We are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.’

Has he ever thought about the life and choices (or lack thereof) of ordinary men, the devastating loss of a parent in a family that ends up scrounging up enough money to bury them with respect? No Nannies, no loving families surrounding and enabling them because there is now only one income instead of two and they are about to lose their house.

Ordinary! Pffft!

Osipi, can you recall the source that stated that the sit down occurred in October? I haven't been able to find it.

Y'know, I couldn't find a source either. I think I was going by what other people were saying in posts that this interview happened in October. I did, however, find the source of the fact that Newsweek had been following Harry around for a year prior to their article. This article comes from Newsweek itself.

Exclusive: Prince Harry on Chaos After Diana's Death and Why the World Needs 'the Magic' of the Royal Family

IMO both Harry and William needed less "ordinary" and more "royal". When you think of their ages and what they have achieved it's not an awful lot. William's "job" keeps his flying hours up and OK Harry's career was, to all intents and purposes, taken away in this age of instant communications which made his army situation untenable.

Ordinary! Pffft!

The press breaking the embargo during Harry's first stint in Afghanistan got him sent home. However, the press didn't force him to leave the Army. He did that himself.

I wonder if you are interested in what foreign royal commentators has to say.
Here in DK the historian Lars Hovbakke Sørensen is used all the time to comment on royal events and issues. Sometimes I agree with him, other times I think it's nonsense, but at least he tries to be as unbiased as possible.

Ekspert efter prins Harrys chokerende udtalelse: Derfor vil vi aldrig høre kronprins Frederik sige det samme | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

"It's not something you often hear the royals say. There is after all no one who is in doubt that the royals has a very high sense of duty in connection with doing the job they have. Because they are born to it, without having chosen it. But it is pretty unusual that they say that they are not keen on taking on the job/doing the job". He adds that the statement seem extra surprising as Prince Harry is the fifth in line to the British throne is a central person in the BRF.

Frederik has previously expressed misgivings about eventually becoming king.
"He has in many ways signaled that he was kind of insecure. He isn't anymore, but it surely is obvious that it's typical for the many young in the royal families that they at some point are in doubt as to what role and position they actually have - and whether that is something they feel like living up to - as they haven't chosen it themselves".

He adds that we at present will not see similar statements from the Danish princes:
"No, not at present. It might be that Crown Prince Frederik would have liked to say that previously but it's not at all on topic at present".

Lars Hovbakke Sørensen can well understand Harry's need for talking about him walking behind the coffin with his mother:
"It's very natural that he vents these things. Surely everyone can understand that it has been incredibly hard.
The special thing about the royals is that their public and private life is intertwined in a completely different way than other people and that's why they end up in such situations, where it's difficult to say what is the right thing to do. When you have to do what is right in relation to the family and to the public institution the royal house and the way it interacts with the rest of the society".

The press breaking the embargo during Harry's first stint in Afghanistan got him sent home. However, the press didn't force him to leave the Army. He did that himself.
Not entirely, had Harry not been forced to leave Afghanistan and had continued flying on the front lines, rather than being assigned a "safe" desk job, I believe he'd still be in the military. The press showed they couldn't be trusted even when lives were at risk so Harry couldn't remain in combat zones which radically altered choices available to him.

Last edited:
Harry was in his element when he was in active service in Afghanistan and I agree he'd still be in the military if he had been able to serve as just "another one of the guys". Because of who he is and with the press attention, he became a giant red bulls eye that detracted from the job they were trying to do and resulted in him leaving Afghanistan. I seriously think Harry just wanted to be left alone, to do what he came to do and was no more important than the rest of the soldiers he was involved with. His royal status made that impossible and probably annoyed the hell out of him.

There are and always will be downsides to being a royal and who better to know that then the ones that experience it firsthand.

Prince Andrew served 20 years in the royal navy. From the Falklands War to the Ministry of Defence.

Harry knew when he signed up he wouldn't be in Afghanistan forever. Units and soldiers get rotated all the time.

I think he got bored and decided to leave to army but it was his choice. He could still be serving in some capacity if he wanted.

Wasn't it that to get the next natural promotion, Harry had to do a stint comprised mainly of desk work as opposed to actual combat? And that was why he chose to leave when he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom