General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll look forward to that post. Immensely. :flowers:

[/B]
...........its not august or sept...the timing is very odd.

The timing might be related to Diana's birthday in July. It maybe the 20th anniversary of her death in August and her funeral in September. But her life began in July.

Its been stated that the Newsweek article stemmed from Newsweek following Harry around for year and the interview was a part of that which was done last October.

The release date therefore, really doesn't reflect on Harry, the royal family or anyone besides the editors and publishers that put the whole thing together.

The media is pretty busy spinning Harry's words and people online are helping them. Harry said nothing controversial nor wrong. That's not how the media will tell it though.

That is why, after much thought and listening to what other posters were saying, I can see the dangers in Harry being too open and honest about things. Just the fact that excerpts of quotes from the actual interview were "cherry picked" is also a factor.

I do admire the fact though that he's able to be that way though. It shows a man comfortable in his own skin.

Now after all this talk about cherry picking, I want a huge slice of cherry pie. Sadly, all I have is black cherry yogurt so that'll have to do. :D

Here's a link to the actual article:
Exclusive: Prince Harry on Chaos After Diana's Death and Why the World Needs 'the Magic' of the Royal Family

ETA:

Excerpts (less than 20% of the full article):

Exclusive: Prince Harry on Chaos After Diana's Death and Why the World Needs 'the Magic' of the Royal Family

It is one of the most poignant images of mourning in modern times, and perhaps one of the cruelest: a 12-year-old Prince Harry, head bowed and fists clenched, marching in the funeral procession behind his mother’s coffin. He, along with his older brother, Prince William; his father, Prince Charles; his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh; and his maternal uncle, Charles Spencer, walked slowly through the heart of London on September 6, 1997. Seven days earlier, the beautiful, charismatic and unpredictable Princess Diana had died in a car crash in Paris. She was 36.
Her funeral was nearly 20 years ago, but Harry’s recollection of that tragic day can still overwhelm him. “My mother had just died, and I had to walk a long way behind her coffin, surrounded by thousands of people watching me while millions more did on television,” he tells Newsweek . His face hardens. “I don’t think any child should be asked to do that, under any circumstances. I don’t think it would happen today.”

[snip]

but he is proud of what he has accomplished and restless to do much more. He tells me several times that he aches to be “something other than Prince Harry.”

The Extraordinary Ordinary

For the best part of the past year, Newsweek was given generous access to follow Prince Harry, now 32, as he went about his royal duties.

[snip]

“My mother died when I was very young. I didn't want to be in the position I was in, but I eventually pulled my head out of the sand, started listening to people and decided to use my role for good. I am now fired up and energized and love charity stuff, meeting people and making them laugh,” he says. “I sometimes still feel I am living in a goldfish bowl, but I now manage it better. I still have a naughty streak too, which I enjoy and is how I relate to those individuals who have got themselves into trouble.”

[snip]

Does the prince ever worry that too much “ordinary” might make the royal family too accessible and take away its mystery? “It’s a tricky balancing act,” he says. “We don’t want to dilute the magic….The British public and the whole world need institutions like it.”

[snip]

(Royal officials prefer to remain anonymous in order to speak more freely about the family.)

[snip]

One of the many things Harry is eager to “get on with” is an overhaul of the British monarchy—he, William and Kate appear determined to drag it into the 21st century. “The monarchy is a force for good,” he says, “and we want to carry on the positive atmosphere that the queen has achieved for over 60 years, but we won’t be trying to fill her boots.”

[snip]

“We are involved in modernizing the British monarchy. We are not doing this for ourselves but for the greater good of the people…. Is there any one of the royal family who wants to be king or queen? I don’t think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time.”

[snip]

Harry sees himself as having three core roles in a working life that isn’t exactly a career but is as close to one as he’s ever likely to have. The first is to honor and extend his mother’s legacy.
[snip]

His second role is to support the queen, now 91, who is steadily passing on some of her duties to her grandchildren. “The queen has been fantastic in letting us choose,” he says. “She tells us to take our time and really think things through.”

The third strand of his working life is something previous generations of stiff-upper-lip royals would never have countenanced for a moment: Harry is determined to break the stigma surrounding mental health issues.

Last edited:
So I haven't read the article, but can someone tell me when it was done and what for? Therefore I can have a clearer picture before I comment.

I think this should more be interpreted as no one "desires" the throne. It's a duty to take on, not reluctantly but with considerable trepidation.
Which IMO is a healthy and sound approach.

IMO this is sums up how most of our current hereditary monarchs have approached their role when they were the heirs.

The fact that the interview was given last October/November and yet not published until now makes me think that it may have something to do with the two forthcoming documentaries to mark the twentieth anniversary of Diana's death. The brothers are going to speak about their reactions to her death and funeral on those. However, it could have been just a general piece on how a younger single Royal approaches his charity work, organises his life, etc.

I think the time has come for Harry to stop talking and get on with some regular work.

At best this is naive but for someone who has spent most of his adult life complaining about how the media 'twist' his words this could be considered stupid.

He seems to have forgotten his responsibility to the monarchy.

I've long felt that the Windsors err on the side of downplaying the advantages of their position. They never really talk about royal life as being enjoyable, it's always hard work, duty, toil...I think they fear seeming too glamorous or coddled. If they don't strike the right balance in their wording it comes off as either cold or whiny. But I honestly don't think there's anything different in the substance of what Harry said in this interview from what his father, aunts and uncles and grandparents have long made the family's "party line."

So I haven't read the article, but can someone tell me when it was done and what for? Therefore I can have a clearer picture before I comment.

With an american outlet, I am pretty sure that it has to do with Diana's death anniversary, and especially in America there is a lot of unreflected glorification going on so I don't think it was wise to indicate some unflattering family issues (being forced to walk behind the coffin, nobody wants to be King etc).

This must be upsetting since especially Charles has been a very hard worker for the causes he supports for decades, to indicate now that he doesnt really want the job will only fuel the idea that William should overstep him, what is a popular idea especially in America where 99,9% of the people have no clue about the way those things work in a monarchy.

Furthermore, most of the time I have not seen Harry live a life of misery.
Obviously more could have been done to help both William and Harry but why complain about it now and in public? I am sure they will have confronted their father in private and there is always the choice to bow out, especially for Harry. No need to throw anybody under the bus now, especially not whilst living a super luxury life and posing as happy family at events for THE FIRM.

Comes across for me as ungrateful or spoilt.

I think the time has come for Harry to stop talking and get on with some regular work.

At best this is naive but for someone who has spent most of his adult life complaining about how the media 'twist' his words this could be considered stupid.

He seems to have forgotten his responsibility to the monarchy.

Exactly, forgot to mention this in my post!

We can find statements from most of the royal family (if we look hard enough) that shows dissatisfaction with the way things are.

My favorite one has to be the one from Prince Philip when he stated ‘I’m just a bloody amoeba.’ (on the Queen’s decision that their children should be called Windsor, not Mountbatten). ;)

Of course this was before the Queen issued the statement where all her and Philip's descendants, should they need a surname, would be known as Mountbatten-Windsor. Changes can and do occur.

Last edited:
Yes, Osipi. And Charles's remark when asked once about the purpose of the royal family. 'I often think we're just a soap opera.'

I've just read the interview, thanks Queen Claude :flowers:

I think it was an interesting interview. It provides a look into who Harry, the person is, as well as Harry the royal.
I don't see this interview as something negative on the contrary. This is the reflections of an adult man.
He admits he's goofed in the past. - What is wrong with a man admitting he made mistakes?
He admits he shut down emotionally and eventually sought help. - Isn't that a good thing? Especially for a man in his position? He's telling people sometimes you have to ask for help.
He admits to have misgivings about his life and future role. - Well, who hasn't had such thoughts at some point in their lives? At least we have the advantage of being able to change direction. An option Harry only in a very limited way has.
He's protective about his girlfriend. - Surprise! Who isn't? She's currently among the most important persons in his life, so I think he could be forgiven for being overprotective even.
He and his brother wish to reform "the firm". - Yes, that's what the younger generation tend to wish and such reforms are taking place in other monarchies as well.
He talks about the impact the death his mother had on him. - Of course it had! He was a twelve year old child, who lost the most important person in his life. It would have had a huge impact and will continue to have a huge impact on his life. It's downright inhumane if someone said: get over with it, it's in the past. - He'll never get over it. He will continue to work on his mother's death for the rest of his life. He's view may change, but it had a decisive influence on his character.

I think there is a tendency not to see that royals are human beings too.
Certainly be the detractors, who expect royals to super-human, while at the same time pointing out they are just like you and me.
But that also applies to many royalists, who wants to maintain the untarnished image of the "magic aloof royalty" no matter the cost. - But they are still just humans, born into a very unusual destiny.
And that is what I personally find the most interesting. How they cope with their destiny. How they grow into their role. How they make their mistakes and deal with the aftermath.

Harry is putting a human face, rather than a facade, on the BRF. And perhaps it was about time someone within the BRF gave a personal interview about how it feels to be royal, genuinely feels, rather than only giving interviews when something has gone catastrophically wrong.

I've said it before: Harry is apart from QEII, the currently most interesting personality within the BRF.
He is IMO a good role-model. Because the best role-models are those who also make mistakes. It's the way they deal with mistakes that makes the difference.

I've long felt that the Windsors err on the side of downplaying the advantages of their position. They never really talk about royal life as being enjoyable, it's always hard work, duty, toil...I think they fear seeming too glamorous or coddled. If they don't strike the right balance in their wording it comes off as either cold or whiny. But I honestly don't think there's anything different in the substance of what Harry said in this interview from what his father, aunts and uncles and grandparents have long made the family's "party line."

I don't see anything different either. He sounds the same as the rest of the family when he talks about the monarchy. I don't recall any of them saying they want to be monarch. It just is. It's a duty. Harry's just saying the same thing.

He has a lot of enthusiasm for what he's doing work wise. He also talks about how important he sees the monarchy and the importance of its evolution. It sounds good to me.

I'm confused here,

Harry compliments the "magic" of the monarchy. Harry mentions that no one is waiting for the "Top Job" but they do the job the family is called to do. Harry also applauds the royal institution and the work they do for the people.

Now people want him to shut up?

I took it to mean that no one really relishes and looks forward to the day they're acclaimed as King or Queen but rather that they realize what a daunting role of duty, service and responsibility it is. Also, usually the day that one is proclaimed King or Queen has a dismal reality to it. The death of a beloved family member. I could almost state positively that back in 1952, a certain Princess Elizabeth on tour with her young husband in Kenya would not have issued a statement to the tone of "Oh! I can't wait to be Queen!".

People that are born into royal positions accept early on that this is what their future will be. Its what expected of them and to walk away from it is letting people down, dishonoring tradition and family and generally upsetting the applecart. They don't blindly have to cackle with glee at the prospect because one is supposed to love the idea of power and glory and all those good ego stroking things but the reality is that sometimes, just sometimes, they wish they had a choice in the matter.

Then again, there are such articles printed where a gin soaked Camilla is plotting the Queen's death so Charles can finally be King and come into his own.

Its all perspective.

I'm confused here,

Harry compliments the "magic" of the monarchy. Harry mentions that no one is waiting for the "Top Job" but they do the job the family is called to do. Harry also applauds the royal institution and the work they do for the people.

That's because those who comment in the papers reads this interview as the Devil reads the Bible. - They only take what they can use to sell more papers (or bring attention to themselves).

That it diminish the reputation of the British press among the minority who actually read the interview is "acceptable costs".
It's no different from the way such interviews were first handled by the press in other monarchies. - But the public developed their own view as more such interviews came out.

The BRF has IMO given too few such personal interviews.

I'm confused here,

Even if Harry says that the Royal Family "will always do the duty they are called for" , I suspect it might sound offensive to part of the common folk that the royals, who, as the BBC article linked above says, live a life of great wealth and privilege by a mere accident of birth, in exchange for not that much work in return really, might think of their roles as a personal burden.

In fact, if they have no personal joy doing the job they were born and raised to do, and do it purely out of obligation or duty, then some people might think that, however dutiful and honorable the royals might be, it may be better to release them from their burden and ditch the monarchy and the royal family altogether.

Last edited:
Even if Harry says that the Royal Family "will always do the duty they are called for" , I suspect it might sound offensive to part of the common folk that the royals, who, as the BBC article linked above says, live a life of great wealth and privilege by a mere accident of birth, in exchange for not that much work in return really, might think of their roles as a personal burden.

In fact, if they have no personal joy doing the job they were born and raised to do, and do it purely out of obligation or duty, then some people might think that, however dutiful and honorable the royals might be, it may be better to release them from their burden and ditch the monarchy and the royal family altogether.

Here's the thing- if Harry said something off then the whole family has been. For decades. He didn't go off- script. They always emphasize duty and that their role is what it is. Relatively recently William, for instance, used similar words saying it isn't about wanting the role. It just is.

And while he talks about the monarchy as a duty, he also discusses how much he likes the causes he's attached to. He's not saying there's no joy to any part of it. He sounds happy with his life now. So, I don't see anyone saying it is joyless or lacks personal fulfillment.

I frankly don't see what's off putting about the interview. Harry sounds like he's in a good place, has a clear idea of his role going forward and stated the need for the monarchy to continue. He's also talking about how they have a plan to evolve the monarchy over time. (Which is always needed. Nothing can stay stagnant.) Sounds like a man invested in his family's legacy.

In response to Mbruno :previous: That I think can be translated into a very simple question:
Would you not have any misgivings and doubts, if you were to be a royal?

- You are going to live a very comfortable life and you are going to meet all sorts of interesting people, for good or bad, and you are going to see things few people will ever see. You will get VIP treatment all your life.

- In return you are on 24/7/365.
The only time you are off, is when you are alone or with close family members, because they are basically the only ones you can trust 100 %.
No matter what you do, no matter, people will always critizice you.
You can rarely voice your own personal opinion about anything.
When you make mistakes it's front page news.
There are people out there who wish to kill you, not because for what you do, but because you were born to the position you have.
There are fans out there who insist on seeing you as a super-human and who will feel betrayed if you don't live up to their standard.
And there are people who insist on you acting like a super-human while never being satisfied with anything you do.
You may never be able to pursue your true dream, say a military career or become a mathematician because that's not in line with the role you must play.
People will celebrate you during the happy days in your life, but they'll be there too when things go down!
And so on and so on.
And that's how it's going to be for the rest of your life. And that is likely to be the life of your children as well.

Show me the person who do not have misgivings about such a life, and I'll show you a person who is not fit to be a royal.

How can you say that? :sad: Harry himself is letting you know it wasn't okay, that it was a mistake. He was a child and as such was a victim of that time; he is letting people know that. It's an amazing statement and important for people to hear and digest. In that instance 'the public' had no 'right' to see those children at such a vulnerable time. A boundary was crossed.

At the time of the funeral when I saw them walking behind the body of Diana, I could not believe it. I don't know how they held up.

It's being noted here in the British press that Harry didn't mention his father once in this long and broad ranging Newsweek interview. Take from that as much or as little as you want to.

I'm concerned by Harry's comments that none of them really want to do what they have to, no one wants to succeed the Queen and they more or less do it 'for the good of the little people'. This is a very dangerous avenue to go down by Harry and he should realise that. I'm all for royals being reasonably frank in interviews, but this borders on whining IMO.

Yes. Harry saying that no one wants to be king is a little disturbing. Even if it is true, there is taxpayer money that funds some of the things they do. If no one really want to be king, the family should just inform the Government, relinquish any tax money that goes toward the BRF, and live private lives. They can quit. I can't imagine anyone would put any of them in jail for it. Harry realizes that his position puts him on a platform that allows him to do great good, but he needs to quit complaining about the other stuff that goes with it. Now, I am NOT talking about him saying no child should be asked to walk behind their mother's coffin. I totally agree with him on that. I am referring to the statements surrounding the "no one wants to be king" statement.

Now, I love the BRF and have followed them for years. I thought it interesting when the interviewer commented that people might not like an ordinary Royal Family. I agree--I don't want an ordinary royal family, but I am afraid that when William becomes King, that is exactly what we will see. No tiaras, no pomp and circumstance, etc... I love William and Kate and look forward to them being King and Queen, but I do worry about what a Monarchy under him will look like. I think when Charles becomes King it will maintain the same pomp and uniqueness.

I intend to go and buy Newsweek and read the entire interview, (given last October, I believe but not published till now) not just interpret, perhaps wrongly, what was said by Harry after reading what a newspaper stated was said after they cherrypick. Then I'll come back and post what I think about it.

I am going to look for the magazine and read it too.

I've just read the interview, thanks Queen Claude :flowers:

I think it was an interesting interview. It provides a look into who Harry, the person is, as well as Harry the royal.
I don't see this interview as something negative on the contrary. This is the reflections of an adult man.
He admits he's goofed in the past. - What is wrong with a man admitting he made mistakes?
He admits he shut down emotionally and eventually sought help. - Isn't that a good thing? Especially for a man in his position? He's telling people sometimes you have to ask for help.
He admits to have misgivings about his life and future role. - Well, who hasn't had such thoughts at some point in their lives? At least we have the advantage of being able to change direction. An option Harry only in a very limited way has.
He's protective about his girlfriend. - Surprise! Who isn't? She's currently among the most important persons in his life, so I think he could be forgiven for being overprotective even.
He and his brother wish to reform "the firm". - Yes, that's what the younger generation tend to wish and such reforms are taking place in other monarchies as well.
He talks about the impact the death his mother had on him. - Of course it had! He was a twelve year old child, who lost the most important person in his life. It would have had a huge impact and will continue to have a huge impact on his life. It's downright inhumane if someone said: get over with it, it's in the past. - He'll never get over it. He will continue to work on his mother's death for the rest of his life. He's view may change, but it had a decisive influence on his character.

I think there is a tendency not to see that royals are human beings too.
Certainly be the detractors, who expect royals to super-human, while at the same time pointing out they are just like you and me.
But that also applies to many royalists, who wants to maintain the untarnished image of the "magic aloof royalty" no matter the cost. - But they are still just humans, born into a very unusual destiny.
And that is what I personally find the most interesting. How they cope with their destiny. How they grow into their role. How they make their mistakes and deal with the aftermath.

Harry is putting a human face, rather than a facade, on the BRF. And perhaps it was about time someone within the BRF gave a personal interview about how it feels to be royal, genuinely feels, rather than only giving interviews when something has gone catastrophically wrong.

I've said it before: Harry is apart from QEII, the currently most interesting personality within the BRF.
He is IMO a good role-model. Because the best role-models are those who also make mistakes. It's the way they deal with mistakes that makes the difference.
I agree with this, but when he says: ''Is there any one of the royal family who wants to be king or queen? I don’t think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time'', then the manipulating British press will of course write that Harry says no-one in the royal family wants to be monarchs. And therefore he must think before he says things like this.

Last edited:
I also think if he said this is inappropriate. Brother is going to be king one day and if all goes well his nephew too.

Where can I read this full interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom