General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're living in the wrong place Osipi because I want a real dino egg too!:lol:

I wanted out, confesses Harry the reluctant prince | Daily Mail Online
I wanted out, confesses Harry the reluctant prince: Astonishingly candid interview reveals how he considered quitting his Royal role for 'an ordinary life' - but stayed for the Queen

Yet the truth is that Harry is surprisingly thoughtful about the future of the Monarchy, saying that he and William would like to pull it into the 21st Century.

‘We want to make sure the Monarchy lasts and are passionate about what it stands for,’ he explains. ‘We feel that the British public and the whole world needs institutions like this – but it can’t go on as it has done under the Queen.

‘There will be changes and pressure to get them right. Things are moving so fast, especially because of social media, so we are involved in modernising the Monarchy.

‘We are not doing this for ourselves but for the greater good of the people and the Monarchy we represent. There is so much negative in the world – we as a family try to bring something positive.’

Does he mind dropping from third to fifth in line to the throne after William and Kate’s children, George and Charlotte?

‘The reason I am now fifth is because of my nephew and niece and I could never wish them away,’ he says. ‘They are the most amazing things ever.’

1. They want the monarchy to last? It's not going to last if he doesn't shut up.

2. That prince reminds me more and more of Diana and he's really starting to irritate me.

If I were Harry, I would beyond pissed on how the media are twisting my innocent words against me. I guess the summer is proving to be to boring for the media. Usually, they're bashing William and Catherine. Now it's Harry's turn. At some point th will get back to the Cambridge's and maybe Andrew and his family.

According to Camilla Tominey (royal Reporter from Sunday Express) this DM exclusive is an interview with the Newsweek Journalist and includes some items not in the Newsweek article.

Not another Harry interview but just more from the same.

Sack the PR people now!

This interview leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

He has had mental issues, I get it, but he has literally had every single thing handed to him on a silver platter. His life is as priviliged as they come. :bang:
There are millions of students trying to scrape in their education and getting themselves into debts of thousands and thousands (including myself), yet he has the audacity to ''want out'' and achieve an ''ordinary life''. Yeah, see how long you will last working more one than job and trying to pay for education, graduate with that pressure, keep up your social life, provide for basic needs, try to get your foot into the job market and seeing the opportunities become less and less due to govermental cuts on healthcare, education, housing etc.

Try and live the ordinary life and then come back and tell me how great it was.

I ain't here for feeling sorry for this heterosexual, straight, white man who has had every privilige and opportunity handed to him. Oh to be rich and upper class, I cannot imagine the struggle. :wacko:

Perhaps I am twisting his words, but I doubt it. Maybe I'll get dragged, but I don't care. Stop the pityfest and show your work.

According to Camilla Tominey (royal Reporter from Sunday Express) this DM exclusive is an interview with the Newsweek Journalist and includes some items not in the Newsweek article.

Not another Harry interview but just more from the same.

Sack the PR people now!
Yes I know. Camilla Tominey wrote that on twitter - the DF article also states that it is the same interview.

Harry is now being praised by republicans. They agree with him, the monarchy cannot go on as it has done under the Queen, it has to go all together when she dies. Even monarchist agree.

Surprising to see some commenting here who would never come onto Harry threads except when he's perceived to have done something wrong that offends them. When he receives praise for something he did wonderfully the silence is deafening.

Harry is due back on Thursday 29th for (the Commonwealth) Young Leaders Award ceremony at BP, with the Queen and other members of the Royal family, so it's a very short 'running away.'

'Charming, energetic, sincere', 'has some of the Royal magic', 'has conquered his demons'. The Newsweek reporter who interviewed him and spent a lot of time with him was greatly impressed, and said so, in this article.

Republicans and the tabloids are always getting stirred up about something. This won't last. Incidentally I have a large family and circle of old friends back in the UK and they aren't stirred up by this at all.

Last edited:
The issue has been put very succinctly by The Guardian.

Yes Harry might feel "trapped" and wanted out. Many of us have felt/feel like that.

The difference is he has the means of escape and the vast majority don't. He can go off for a week to Malawi, others cant even leave their homes.

And that is what is annoying people in the UK.

i do think harry said too much, but, i also feel that the writer really took advantage of the fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve and thats a shame

Yes Harry might feel "trapped" and wanted out. Many of us have felt/feel like that.

The difference is he has the means of escape and the vast majority don't. He can go off for a week to Malawi, others cant even leave their homes.

I agree. It's good and all him stating "I want the simple ordinary life", but the majority of us was an uncomplicated life too. He is starting to sound like a whiney over-priviledged man-boy IMHO. I applaud him for speaking out on his mental illness and accepting help and in doing so, he has broken down some walks. But with these interviews, I find myself rolling my eyes at him.

And he will eat his words if he marries and accepts a dukedom.

I don't see anything wrong with the article...I think he was being quite open and honest...he didn't trash the monarchy/family. Nothing shocking or scandalous.

Surely nothing he said has come as a surprise to anyone?

LaRae

Harry was talking about his struggles dealing with the aftermath of his mother death and the stifling world around him that wasn't helping his situation. People really need to stop making everything about class and privilege, and realize that people have problems, despite who they are.

Just a few weeks ago, everyone was praising the man for opening up and revealing his past issues for the Heads Together Campaign. Now, people are trying to bite his head off for being honest about his past issues.

Just too confusing...

I don't see anything wrong with the article...I think he was being quite open and honest...he didn't trash the monarchy/family. Nothing shocking or scandalous.

LaRae

Your so right nothing wrong in anything he said.

I wanted out, confesses Harry the reluctant prince | Daily Mail Online

1. They want the monarchy to last? It's not going to last if he doesn't shut up.

2. That prince reminds me more and more of Diana and he's really starting to irritate me.

He has no seeming understanding of his status in this most status-oriented world of royalty. He can do nothing regarding the monarchy. Nor can William. It is not their time. It is their father's time after the passing of their grandmother. :sad:

I find the omission of any mention of his father glaring. There is a lack of due respect for the position, actions, and wishes/decisions of the only person with any power in the way Harry is ascribing to himself and William, the heir to the throne, The Prince of Wales.

I do agree with those who have indicated that it is a not-so-subtle undercut to the reigning monarch. Harry comes across as too self-absorbed, too mesmerized with his own sense of his importance. I think what he experiences as the adulation of the crowds has gone to his head, as it went to Diana's head.

Yes, I thought Diana would come into this sooner or later, Lady Nimue. Where in this interview does Harry disrespect the Queen? Have you read the whole Newsweek article at all? Or just the bits the DM and other tabloids chose to publish?

Everyone knows, including HM, that the monarchy will change after her reign, when Charles and then William become King. It's been discussed often enough on this forum. Yet when Harry says it the sky falls in for some!

Angela Levin, the Newsweek reporter who actually met him and accompanied him on some engagements, refers to the controversy in the DM article and says she believes him to be thoughtful and honest. She calls him 'full of self-recognition' and 'exceptionally good at connecting with people of all ages'. She finds his demeanour when speaking to others impressive.

Can you point to any statement of hers or of Harry's in this article or in Newsweek that points to him loving adulation or having a swollen head?

It seems that much of your angst seems to be that Harry doesn't mention Charles. Well neither brother has mentioned Charles much if at all in interviews for the last couple of years. That's just the way it is. The fact has been noted on this forum by some posters several times.

It has nothing to do with Harry disrespecting the Monarchy (he says specifically that he and William want the Monarchy to last) or the Queen, his grandmother.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought Diana would come into this sooner or later, Lady Nimue. Where in this interview does Harry disrespect the Queen? Have you read the whole Newsweek article at all? Or just the bits the DM and other tabloids chose to publish?

Everyone knows, including HM, that the monarchy will change after her reign, when Charles and then William become King. It's been discussed often enough on this forum. Yet when Harry says it the sky falls in for some!

Angela Levin, the Newsweek reporter who actually met him and accompanied him on some engagements, refers to the controversy in the DM article and says she believes him to be thoughtful and honest. She calls him 'full of self-recognition' and 'exceptionally good at connecting with people of all ages'. She finds his demeanour when speaking to others impressive.

Can you point to any statement of hers or of of Harry's in this article or in Newsweek that points to him loving adulation or having a swollen head?

It seems that much of your angst seems to be that Harry doesn't mention Charles. Well neither brother mentions Charles much if at all in interviews for the last couple of years. That's just the way it is. The fact has been noted on this forum by some posters several times.

It has nothing to do with Harry disrespecting the Monarchy (he says specifically that he and William want the Monarchy to last) or the Queen, his grandmother.

I think some members of the media and some people on the net have taken this stuff way too far, imo. One misunderstood quote resulted in people thinking Harry has betrayed his family and the very institution he was born into.

He has no seeming understanding of his status in this most status-oriented world of royalty. He can do nothing regarding the monarchy. Nor can William. It is not their time. It is their father's time after the passing of their grandmother. :sad:

I find the omission of any mention of his father glaring. There is a lack of due respect for the position, actions, and wishes/decisions of the only person with any power in the way Harry is ascribing to himself and William, the heir to the throne, The Prince of Wales.

I do agree with those who have indicated that it is a not-so-subtle undercut to the reigning monarch. Harry comes across as too self-absorbed, too mesmerized with his own sense of his importance. I think what he experiences as the adulation of the crowds has gone to his head, as it went to Diana's head.

Do you perhaps think that he is looking for something in the adulation of the crowds that he did not receive as a child after the death of his mother? He was a *child* when that happened and even as the physical body grows, the mind and emotions do not always have the same growing time frame as the body, and I think that most realize that all of life's experiences make us who we are today and with everyday new experiences add onto to that. I have felt for many years that he is searching for something and has not found it yet. We here see the game face of Prince Harry yet do not really know the man/person that he is.:)

And we all know how the media loves to twist and turn each and every word by any royal when they are given an interview to suit their own purposes all in the name of money/greed. I hope he has learned a valuable lesson in this and will not be so willing to give interviews in the future.

I certainly think that Harry was a bit lost after he left the army, felt a bit purposeless and drifting for a while. However, there is no evidence IMO that he was seeking meaning in 'the adulation of crowds'.

If he had been he would have thrown himself into performing huge numbers of engagements, especially at gala events and so forth.

Instead, people have complained about his annual numbers for Royal engagements, he's disappeared for weeks each summer on animal conservation work in Africal, he was away from the public view for the most part during his army career, especially in Afghanistan (no news of him for months I remember) and he rarely appears, except at the Invictus Games, in front of huge crowds anyway. His choice. He chooses what charities he represents.

I don't think all this soul-baring helps anyone. He should keep quiet and find a rôle for himself inside or outside the core of 'working' members of the Royal Family and then just get on with it.
It comes across as self seeking and absurdly self indulgent...

Curryong I love your posts you make such good points. Other posters have their own agenda and make problems when there isn't any. Using this to rubbish Diana is unnecessary but expected as you noted.

Just the fact that the statements in the interview led to controversies by interpreting what he's said in different ways makes it hopefully a lesson learned to be a bit more guarded in the future.

People and the press just love to "read between the lines". Like political analysts on TV, words are taken to mean whatever floats one's agenda. There is no doubt in my mind that Harry never intended his statements to be anything but Harry relating his thoughts with openness and candor. I imagine if he had a crystal ball and could see the aftermath of his words, he may have chosen his words more carefully.

Harry is very human. That's been proven. He's made a innocent and unintentional mistake. To me, that doesn't reflect on his character and the person he is but rather the world around him.

Curryong I love your posts you make such good points. Other posters have their own agenda and make problems when there isn't any. Using this to rubbish Diana is unnecessary but expected as you noted.
Just because some people do not agree, doesn't mean they have their own agenda? Come on now.

What does Harry mean when he says the monarchy "cannot go on as it has done under the Queen ?"[....] .

For once Prince Harry is right. The monarchy indeed can not go on as done under the Queen. That would mean a static monarchy, putting a glass dome over it. Every new monarch will set new accents, make his/her own decisions. We have seen that in the Netherlands, in Belgium and in Spain where new Kings have indeed changed their monarchies within the limitations they have.

LaRae

The Prince has not taken the old lessons of Sir Walter Bagehot to his heart: the crown should never be naked. With his blabbing like any celebbie he is taking away the distance and the "mystique" which are -in my eyes- essential elements for a monarchy.

That this "mystique" or maybe "sacrality" is so important is shown in republics as well. The antics of Mr Donald Trump or the way his staff behaves are often damaging, "de-sacralizing" even, the high office of the President of the United States.

The predecessor of the current French President, M François Hollande, wanted to be "Monsieur Normal". He misunderstood that the French do like to see their President having a feeling for grandesse, decorum and indeed, the 'mystique' which hangs around the Palais de l'Élysée. Speeding through Paris on a scooter is not how the French expect their President to do.

Prince Harry should know that comments like "No one wants the Crown" or blabbing about having been sort of on the verge of "quitting" has the same effect. Like the given examples also the British monarchy is best served with serenity, dignity and some distance indeed. Harry is a most friendly and approachable dude. But he is also His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales. He needs to get the balancing back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Harry should know that comments like "No one wants the Crown" or blabbing about having been sort of on the verge of "quitting" has the same effect. Like the given examples also the British monarchy is best served with serenity, dignity and some distance indeed. Harry is a most friendly and approachable dude. But he is also His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales. He needs to get the balancing back.

I don't know about you but to master a balancing act (even with dishes) isn't an easy task. You break a few dishes in learning how to balance them. Trial and error. Sometimes the errors are the best teachers.

The problem was that some of Harry's statements were too general. A statement like "No one wants the Crown" needed elaboration on just what Harry meant by that. "No one wants the Crown because..." and give specific reasons why he made that statement would have put it into indisputable context. "because I love farming" "because the climate in the UK sucks" or any "because". On his thoughts of "quitting" once again elaboration would serve him better. "because I felt I'd rather be in Las Vegas 24/7 drinking and partying at the time" would have elaborated on that sentiment.

Its a fine art to be able to make statements that cannot be misinterpreted.

I don't know about you but to master a balancing act (even with dishes) isn't an easy task. You break a few dishes in learning how to balance them. Trial and error. Sometimes the errors are the best teachers.

Its a fine art to be able to make statements that cannot be misinterpreted.
but he does this a LOT and he's getting older, should be better at being, if you like frank and telling his thougths, without saying things that make him look spoiled or that are likely ot irritate people who are not that proRoyal.
Given tat he was partying naked in Vegas, yes it could come acorss as "I wanted out because I'd rather be having fun with my pals and getting legless.." just as "no one wants the Crown" can come across as "we think we are hard doen by, having to do public duties."

I don't think there are many people here at TRF that are dead set on an agenda to present opinions to sway other people's opinions as in some kind of a campaign for or against something about a royal or the royal way of life. Those that come with a negative agenda in mind usually don't last very long around here. :D

We have discussions. We freely present our own opinions of how we see things and ask questions. We also listen (this is the biggie) to what other people are saying and even learn something along the way and come to realize that we're even able to amend our opinions because of new information.

Its called communication.

Just because some people do not agree, doesn't mean they have their own agenda? Come on now.

Umm yes I think they absolutely do. MO

Let's be real: everyone can be perceived as having an "agenda" of some kind, regardless of which "camp" they sit in.

It would be nice if we could have mature discussions without the constant snarky remarks about agendas/etc because everyone dares not have the same opinion as everyone else.

but he does this a LOT and he's getting older, should be better at being, if you like frank and telling his thougths, without saying things that make him look spoiled or that are likely ot irritate people who are not that proRoyal.
Given tat he was partying naked in Vegas, yes it could come acorss as "I wanted out because I'd rather be having fun with my pals and getting legless.." just as "no one wants the Crown" can come across as "we think we are hard doen by, having to do public duties."

That's why I suggested that maybe, just maybe, with statements like you've given examples of, he needs to elaborate or just not make the statement at all.

Just because someone is older, it doesn't mean that their age reflects their emotional maturity or even physical maturity. Life is and of itself is a learning process and everyone goes along at their own pace. The time a person stops experiencing and learning is the time when that person draws his last breath.

If we all had to consciously think and rationalize the effects of what we say and weigh how the multitudes of people may or may not interpret our words, we'd be very, very silent people and live in fear of expressing ourselves. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom