General News for Prince Harry, Part 1: December 2016 - November 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me one of the perks to being a younger sibling in a royal family is that you are not only allowed but seemingly encouraged to pick a "specialty" issue and really dig into understanding it deeply and making charitable efforts with that issue your life's work.

The monarch can show some degree of leaning towards areas of personal interest, but ultimately The Queen's official schedule consists of visits to a highly varied assortment of sites and organizations. And while those in line for the throne have more leeway than the sovereign for pursuing personal areas of interest take center stagel, they still have to prepare for being a "jack of all trades." It wouldn't make much sense for William to pursue extra training like these counseling courses, because no matter what cause interests him he'll never be able to delve in quite as deeply into it as Harry can with veteran care.

Charles is lucky, of course, that he is deeply interested in agricultural issues that fall right in line with the management of the Duchy of Cornwall, giving him an outlet that is satisfying without seeming to improperly favor one sort of organization over others. The same goes for the Queen and the joy she finds in animal husbandry, which can be attended to during her private time. But it must be nice -- relatively freeing, really -- for a lesser royal to be allowed to take their interests beyond the realm of private pursuits and craft schedules of public engagements that deal more directly with their own concerns and talents.

I agree. Excellent post. Perhaps this is one of the biggest advantages to the Queen's longevity is that she has adult grandchildren in William and his wife, Kate along with Harry. They've been fortunate to be able to ease into their public royal lives and had the time to figure out what they're passionate about doing. In doing so, they've been able to set up their own foundation which, over the years will serve as an umbrella covering multitudes of patronages and charities. Just watching how they're getting on with Heads Together, we've seen all three royals taking the issue of mental health to their own specific areas of interest.

Its been amazing to watch and see how they're growing into their royal lives. Harry especially as he seems to be personally passionate about what he is doing to make a difference and seems to appreciate the global stage which his royal birthright has given him.

They will go far as the years go by.

From the Daily Telegraph - about the training both Harry and William have had

"Prince Harry, who underwent a training course to help people suffering mental health crises when he worked in the Army's personal recovery unit, has campaigned for those in the Armed Forces to stop feeling ashamed about admitting they have a problem.

And the Duke of Cambridge has taken courses on mental health issues as part of his work as an air ambulance pilot."

It is a good article

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry join together to 'shatter the stigma' of mental illness

Blecccch. More Daily Fail stories about inconsequential things to take up space in their publications. Where's my bird when I need him? :lol:

Gosh, I read that ridiculous stuff about Harry supposedly waxing his chest (which he hasn't) and his bald spot months ago in the DM. Has the Daily Fail turned to cannabilising their old news items more than usual now? What a yawn! Anyway, if we are talking bald spots in the BRF, William's has spread practically all over the top of his head and has been that way for years!

By the way, Harry was on all the TV news channels here tonight for a different reason than his hair, his coming to Sydney in June for Invictus! Hurray!

Last edited:
This will be a good fit for Harry. As it states in the article he has had dealings with them before.

More forces veterans seeking mental health help after Harry campaign | Daily Mail Online

The Daily Fail reports a large number of ex vets are now seeking help for psychological problems following the Heads Together campaign and Harry speaking of his issues in not speaking out for years following his mother's death.

If true this is great as people do need to seek help if they need it. My only caveat is whether there are enough mental health professionals and counsellors available without extremely long waiting times.

:previous: That is great!
If it is because of Harry and his personal story, the veterans chose to come forward, he will have accomplished more than most people do in a lifetime. Especially if this starts a trend where it become generally acceptable for veterans to ask for help.

A real tough macho-man is cool, unaffected and don't need help. - Until he suffers a nervous breakdown that is...

Students demand retake of English test with 'mumbly' Prince Harry speech

Students in western Germany launched an online petition in protest at an English test with a speech by Prince Harry that neither they nor native-speaking teachers could understand.

Around 100,000 tenth grade students in Germany’s most populous state of North Rhine Westphalia (NRW) took part in a statewide English test last week, according to Spiegel. High stakes were involved for the teens, because the test makes up 50 percent of their final English grade, which then determines whether they may go into a higher level curriculum.

But some of the teens found parts of the test far too difficult. In an exercise to test listening comprehension, students were played a speech by British Prince Harry, which Bergisch Gladbach native Dario Schramm said was so mumbly, that they could barely understand a single word.
Read more: https://www.thelocal.de/20170522/students-demand-retake-of-english-test-with-mumbly-prince-harry-speech

Yes, Thankyou Rudolph. However, missing from the printed text above but in the main article is the information that there was trouble with the technical quality of the recording of the speech. Also in the article were complaints about African slang in another recording and other difficulties.

Last edited by a moderator:
More forces veterans seeking mental health help after Harry campaign | Daily Mail Online

The Daily Fail reports a large number of ex vets are now seeking help for psychological problems following the Heads Together campaign and Harry speaking of his issues in not speaking out for years following his mother's death.

If true this is great as people do need to seek help if they need it. My only caveat is whether there are enough mental health professionals and counsellors available without extremely long waiting times.

This is very unfortunate because with the Cambridges and Harry working as a team on the Heads Together campaign, the number of people seeking treatment is growing.

However, missing from the printed text above but in the main article is the information that there was trouble with the technical quality of the recording of the speech. Also in the article were complaints about African slang in another recording and other difficulties.

Brings back memories of wearing headphones and sometimes shaky tape recorded Spanish speakers during the "Escuche y escribe" (Listen and write) portions of my own exams.

IMHO using the recordings of Harry's speech along with use of colloquial dialogue would not be my first choice for the listening portion of the foreign language exam. Wouldn't it be better to have a native English speaker reading a clearly enunciated script free of any slang be the optimal choice?

Harry was likely recorded speaking to an audience of other English speakers and not a group of English as a second language learners. When conversing with a non-native speaker don't most of us do our best to clearly enunciate our words and avoid colloquialisms?

Sorry the exam writers should have provided a more appropriate set of listening selections for their students. The fault lies with them IMO.

Your right Curryong Harry does move around the stage and looks very professional when giving a speech. I have long thought he's had some training and what a great idea to do so. It is such a big part of the job it would be wise to have some training. Princess Mary is also someone who looks at ease when speaking

:previous: Harry certainly is a natural with people regardless of age, from playing with babies to kissing grandma's and that is an amazing age spread. The BRF are very lucky that Harry has turned out that way and William even more so as Harry seems to have his back regardless of the circumstances.

William seems to function better in highly structured engagements, which is very important because he's the one that is going to lead the "Ceremonial Charge" so to speak. But Harry is there to lighten the atmosphere and help take the pressure off, making him the best brother he can be and more importantly, a very important lynchpin in the firm.

Exactly. :sad: It was unutterably the wrong thing to have allowed to have happen. Both William and Harry should have been left alone at Balmoral. The tabloids (and perhaps the PM) have a great deal to answer for regarding how they fed into the Diana-mania-fannish-hysteria, rather than let sanity prevail. (I hope Harry understands how the BRF's hand was being forced, and does not 'blame' them for the ordeal; it had everything to do with the public mania at the time). IMO.

Exactly. :sad: It was unutterably the wrong thing to have allowed to have happen. Both William and Harry should have been left alone at Balmoral. The tabloids (and perhaps the PM) have a great deal to answer for regarding how they fed into the Diana-mania-fannish-hysteria, rather than let sanity prevail. (I hope Harry understands how the BRF's hand was being forced, and does not 'blame' them for the ordeal; it had everything to do with the public mania at the time). IMO.

It wasn't a mistake for the boys to walk behind their mother's coffin. Obviously, it was a painful time for the boys though.

I figure, and I find it interesting both he and William have recently made these sorts of statements about X shouldn't of happened, both those boys were in a state of shock and one of the PR folks thought it would be a good idea for them to be very visible after all the negative press the family received. A shame one of the adults in his life didn't put a stop to it.

LaRae

It wasn't a mistake for the boys to walk behind their mother's coffin. Obviously, it was a painful time for the boys though.

Harry certainly thinks it was.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

How can you say that? :sad: Harry himself is letting you know it wasn't okay, that it was a mistake. He was a child and as such was a victim of that time; he is letting people know that. It's an amazing statement and important for people to hear and digest. In that instance 'the public' had no 'right' to see those children at such a vulnerable time. A boundary was crossed.

Yes exactly..he's stating very clearly the line was crossed. You can bet your last dollar if Harry has children he's going to be very much like William when it comes to protecting their privacy...he's not going to want them to experience all that he and his brother went thru with the media.

LaRae

Harry certainly thinks it was.

LaRae

He didn't say he wish he never did it. He just said that it's something no child should have to go through it. I agree. Having to bury your parent at that age must've been very painful.

The big problem is that William and Harry weren't giving the proper grief counseling that they needed at that time.

Last edited:
He didn't say he wish he never did it. He just said that it's something no child should have to go through it. I agree. Having to bury your parent at that age must've been very painful.

The big problem is that William and Harry weren't giving the proper grief counseling that they needed at that time.

That last statement isn't right. What Harry has said recently is that they were offered help but he refused to talk. And you cannot make someone talk.

That's why the Head Together Campaign is about "talking", and that its ok to talk.

I figure, and I find it interesting both he and William have recently made these sorts of statements about X shouldn't of happened, both those boys were in a state of shock and one of the PR folks thought it would be a good idea for them to be very visible after all the negative press the family received. A shame one of the adults in his life didn't put a stop to it.

LaRae

Yeah.

I think everyone were in a state of shock. The BRF, the court, the public and the press. So no really knew how to deal with it.
I think those who reacted the most healthy was in fact the public, who expressed their shock, horror, grief and anger openly.
The press got a hard time as well, with lots of verbal abuse (which they have since conveniently put out of their minds).
The public needed to show their sympathy to someone and that someone were William and Harry, something they probably couldn't understand at the time. To them their mother was dead and that's pretty devastating for any child, and they couldn't be allowed to mourn in peace.
For the rest of the BRF, they IMO had to walk that walk, all they lacked was each carrying a cross to make the symbolism complete. A walk of penance.

It sure was weird to watch!

We shall have to agree to disagree on this. It's pretty clear after reading what he said...it shouldn't of happened, he shouldn't of had to walk behind his mother's casket and all that took place in public. He shouldn't of ever been put into that situation.

LaRae

You are giving his comment the spin that exonerates the fannish-passion that made his walking behind his mother's coffin (at his tender age), with thousands of eyes upon him, 'necessary'. :sad:

Now, rather than see that the hysteria did damage to a child, it becomes that the boys weren't given 'the proper grief counseling that they needed', and whose fault would that be (by inference)? :sad: The BRF, of course; Charles, of course. So the rationale for hating Charles and blaming the BRF continues. When will it end? Why not accept that everyone at the time did the best they could (and made some mistakes). With the 20/20 vision of our 'enlightened' present it's easy to ascribe blame but it was a shocking moment and everyone did what they could. We know The Queen and Philip and Charles did not want to parade the boys in front of the public, but the public were angrily calling to see 'the boys', and even spoke to 'the boys' once they did show up in ways that were just not okay (imo). Very puzzling phenomenon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom