Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 7: June-August 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For In the Pink, it is usual to wear something pink, but Sophie could have gone with a pink top or dress, something other than the bandanna. The top is awful and ill-fitting, but the skirt is nice. It looks like she's wearing a fancy lumberjack shirt. If the top were a wrap top, even in that fabric, it would have looked better because it would have made her look thinner.

Is it some sort of new fashion to be combining a tailored, heavy top with a floaty skirt? This is at least the third time recently she's come up with a combination like that, and it looks unbalanced.

Not any fashion trend I've seen (or would ever follow). Perhaps Ulrich or Laura are trying to set a trend.

Some other pics:

Attachments

• Resize of 53110203.jpg
    Resize of 53110203.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Resize of 53110561.jpg
    Resize of 53110561.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Resize of 53110563.jpg
    Resize of 53110563.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Resize of 53110567.jpg
    Resize of 53110567.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Resize of 53110575.jpg
    Resize of 53110575.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Resize of 53110579.jpg
    Resize of 53110579.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Resize of 53110200.jpg
    Resize of 53110200.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 276
Today the Countess of Wesex will open the Haste Wing at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford,Surrey.

HELLO MAGAZINE

pinktit.gif

21 JUNE 2005

Things were looking distinctly rosy for Sophie Wessex when she stepped out for a glitzy party in Chelsea this week. The Countess met up with a roll-call of celebrity beauties when she turned out for the annual "In The Pink" charity ball in the capital's Cardigan Hall.

TV presenter Jenni Falconer turned on the glam in floor-length satin, while broadcaster Yasmin Mills opted for a sultry wine-coloured creation with plunging neckline. Also in attendance was Heather Mills-McCartney, turning heads in a halter-neck creation in cream chiffon, along with former EastEnder Patsy Palmer and The Pianist star Emilia Fox.

Sophie was by no means the only royal to grace the event, though, as Lady Gabriella Windsor was likewise mingling among the well-heeled guests. The 24-year-old royal, who made her mark in black lace over a skin-toned slip, was accompanied by her much talked-about beau Aatish Taseer.

The couple went along to show their support for Breast Cancer Haven, which is to receive all proceeds from the bash. The charity provides alternative and complementary therapies for those affected by the disease.

All eyes were on Lady Gabriella and her boyfriend Aatish Taseer. She first met the Indian journalist while studying at Brown University in the US
Photo: © Rex
Click on photos for gallery

Sophie Wessex was guest of honour at the glitzy bash. She's not the only royal who supports Breast Cancer Haven, because her brother-in-law Prince Charles opened their first centre four years ago
Photo: © Alphapress.com

IMO Sophie's In the Pink outfit is awful! unflattering, doesn't match, and inappropriate: she looks like she is going to a barbeque hoe-down and everyone else is dressed formally or cocktail party-ish. I think Lady Gabrielle's dress strikes a good balance between summer formal and cocktail party and classy (though I don't actually love the dress).

The new Hello! magazine issue has a really wonderful article about Sophie and Edward in Canada. Obviously I can't copy the article to post it, but I want to qoute the last sentences because they're so very nice :):

"Frequent visitors to the Commonwealth country, the Wessexes have been described by the Canadian media as "affable","non-stuffy" and "sincere". Always low-key but deeply affectionate, they celebrate their wedding anniversary this weekend, as what has been called "probably the happiest royal marriage of all" enters its seventh year."
:)
I love the Hello! magazine they're always writing such nice things.

Japy28 said:
The new Hello! magazine issue has a really wonderful article about Sophie and Edward in Canada. Obviously I can't copy the article to post it, but I want to qoute the last sentences because they're so very nice :):

"Frequent visitors to the Commonwealth country, the Wessexes have been described by the Canadian media as "affable","non-stuffy" and "sincere". Always low-key but deeply affectionate, they celebrate their wedding anniversary this weekend, as what has been called "probably the happiest royal marriage of all" enters its seventh year."
:)
I love the Hello! magazine they're always writing such nice things.

REGAIN Sports Award Luncheon

Attachments

• 2787504.jpg
    2787504.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 2787514.jpg
    2787514.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 401
I really like Sophie for her lack of pretention; see the Daily Mail article below on Sophie and the hoe-down outfit. I know I've been in the situation of dressing completely wrong for an event and feeling terrible and self-conscious about it, but at least I wasn't getting photographed by the national press for my fashion mistakes! I applaud her to for being a good sport about it, and realizing her royal duty is to promote the cause by being photographed at the fund-raiser no matter how much she wanted to hide away.

Sophie's (poor) Choice

by Richard Simpson, Daily Mail 09:48am 22nd June 2005

Standing out: Sophie in a chequered shirt with Patsy Palmer, Jenni Falconer and Anouska de Georgiou

Sophie Wessex was only saying what everyone else was thinking.

Talking to photographers at a charity party, the countess protested that she was 'just too frumpy' to pose for a picture.

The invitation had asked guests to wear something "glamorous with a hint of pink".

Unfortunately, Sophie interpreted that as the perfect opportunity to wear her black and white tartan shirt with a black skirt - and a pink scarf around her neck.

So she was horrified as other guests, including former East-Enders actress Patsy Palmer, GMTV presenter Jenni Falconer and society beauty Anouska de Georgiou, turned up wearing glamorous and shimmering evening gowns.

And when asked to pose for a picture with them at the party in London in aid of the charity Breast Cancer Haven, she at first refused because she was so embarrassed by her appearance.

"It's all much too glamorous for me," said Prince Edward's 39-year-old wife. "There's no way I can stand next to that glamorous bunch. I look much too much like an old frump."

Eventually the photographers persuaded her to relent - and afterwards she won a round of applause from the others for doing so.

Last edited:
ap3 said:

Sophie's (poor) Choice

by Richard Simpson, Daily Mail 09:48am 22nd June 2005

"It's all much too glamorous for me," said Prince Edward's 39-year-old wife. "There's no way I can stand next to that glamorous bunch. I look much too much like an old frump."

Eventually the photographers persuaded her to relent - and afterwards she won a round of applause from the others for doing so.

I didn't care much for Sophie's outfit at this occasion either, and yes she did look out of place with all the evening gowns and herself in an ill-fitting and out of place suit. But at least she was a good sport in the end and posed for pictures despite her "frumpy" appearance. Many public figures might not have been so agreeable considering they were dressed considerably "less" than the other guests.

I think she handled the situation very professional and with good humour.

And she looked wonderful at the pictures of the award ceremony, however I think the background tapestry was utterly ugly.

"It's all much too glamorous for me," said Prince Edward's 39-year-old wife. "There's no way I can stand next to that glamorous bunch. I look much too much like an old frump." [/QUOTE]

I suppose the one thing Sophie can take out of this is that this journalist has taken away one year of her age.

I have to defend the Countess - I thought HRH looked glorious at the In the Pink charity event. The Countess steals the show again!

Well done Countess!

Those Baby photos

:p I have spend a while wondering if I should post these. THey are the baby photos that caused so much trouble in 1964, but I though since the fine was paid and all - please excuse me if you find offence in their posting.
In 1965 these photos were printed in a German tabloid. The BRF immediately sued the publisher, as the photos were stolen when they are been developed in England. The photos were taken by Princess Anne and possibly the Duke of Edinburgh and show the royal family with a few days old Prince Edward.

I would also like to draw your attention to the web site below. It is the site of a skipper that was helped out by 13 year old Prince Edward.

http://andrew-campbell.members.beeb.net/id195_1977___prince_andrew_helimg_the_inshore_boat.htm

Attachments

• edbaby1.jpg
    edbaby1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 382
  • edbaby3.jpg
    edbaby3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 343
  • edbaby2.jpg
    edbaby2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 376
There was a forum about what royal brides religion they were before they were married.
I was only a guest then, and cannot find so I'll post it here.
Sophie was methadist, I don't know if she was christianed and confirmed. I know she went to a methadist school in which her grandfather co-founded.(Kent collage, Pembroke)

The Countess of Wessex speaks to staff at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford, 21 June 2005. Her Royal Highness opened the new Heart and Stroke Trust Endeavor Wing.

Attachments

• Insight_jun05_gallery_haste_large.jpg
    Insight_jun05_gallery_haste_large.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 333
old sopihe's photos, when she was pregnant

Attachments

• sophie4.JPG
    sophie4.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 271
  • sophie5.JPG
    sophie5.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 319
  • sophie6.JPG
    sophie6.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 255
  • sophie7.JPG
    sophie7.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 314
  • sophie8.JPG
    sophie8.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 278
They Are Sweet Photos But Also Very Private No Wonder The Royals Got So Upset.

Last edited:
Sophie looks very nice, that color looks good on her. And I agree, her hair does look good longer.

She does look great.
Is the jacket slimming or is Sophie losing weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom