Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 1: February-September 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden

Last edited by a moderator:
from www.hellomagazine.com

3 MARCH 2003
More than one year after the Countess of Wessex suffered an ectopic pregnancy, British newspaper reports say the 38-year-old has turned to IVF treatment in the hope of beginning a family.

Sophie and her husband Prince Edward are understood to have been visiting a private London fertility clinic for the past six months. The Countess has apparently undergone two cycles of IVF treatment, which failed, and has now embarked on a third attempt.

Buckingham Palace has refused to comment on the issue, but one official acknowledged he was aware of the reports.

The Countess has been forthcoming over her desire to have a baby and the possibility of using medical assistance to reach her maternal goals.

"It's astonishing how many friends of mine have had problems either conceiving or losing children," she said in a 2001 interview. "I would explore all avenues and I certainly wouldn't rule out IVF. It's quite important to me to have children."

Edward & Sophie visited two schools and a centre yesterday.

RexFeatures Picture.

RexFeatures Picture

RexFeatures Picture

RexFeatures Picture

RexFeatures Picture

RexFeatures Picture

Attachments

• 411219j.jpg
    411219j.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 411219i.jpg
    411219i.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 335
  • 411219c.jpg
    411219c.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 411219h.jpg
    411219h.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 278
  • 411219m.jpg
    411219m.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 411219p.jpg
    411219p.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
yep.

She wants to have baby herself when she going to clinic for IFV trying to have children.

She and Prince Edward been married for 4 years then sophie got collasped with the Eptopic pregnancy because she lost baby 15 month ago she very depressed for it.

The clinic told Sophie she become pregnant right now but not said due born ? i think maybe will born in October or November i think so wait and see it.

Sara Boyce

Does anybody have any recent pictures of the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews? I haven't found any. Thanks.

Thank you. That was a nice picture.

When was it taken? I mean, what occasion? It's very rare to find a picture of them. Thanks!

It's nice to see them making a lot more public appearances in recent times :)

what's their link with william? or prince charles? i mean how are they related to the royal family?

The picture was taken last year at the Trouping of the Colour.

The Earl of St. Andrews is the son of The Duke of Kent. The Duke of Kent is a first cousin to Queen Elizabeth II. That makes the Earl of St. Andrews a second cousin to Prince Charles and their children are third cousins.

Hey all, I read in the Telegraph (old article) that Prince Edward of Great Britain and Princess Martha Louise of Norway dated for 10 months in 1990. Does anyone have any info, pics, or articles about them being together?

i knew it, Kitty !

I read article about Sophie's news when she got collasped with eptopic pregnancy in December 2001 before christmas the Countess of Wessex very disappointment about lost baby then later after lost baby i found out she become pregnant when she been at clinic the clinic told Sophie she finally got baby !

i will send you her websites of news

Sara Boyce

I have lots news over Sophie,Countess of Wessex you should read it them !

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page....%20fall%20scare

http://www,mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page....ll&siteid=50143

http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/art...99&in_page_id=2

http://www.hellomagazine.com/2003/03/03/sophiewessex/

you will read about her what happened from previous eptopic pregnancy i havent find pictures when she released from hospital on December 2001 before Christmas she with Prince Edward.

Sara Boyce

article from http://news.bbc.co.uk

Baby joy for Sophie and Edward

The Countess of Wessex is pregnant, Buckingham Palace has announced.

A statement from the palace said: "Their Royal Highnesses the Earl and Countess of Wessex are very pleased to announce that the Countess of Wessex is expecting a baby in December.

"The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and members of both families are delighted with the news."

A spokeswoman for the countess said Sophie, 38, was feeling a "little tired" but was "absolutely fine".

She added: "Sophie and Edward are absolutely thrilled and excited with the news".

The countess will not be undertaking official engagements for the time being on doctors' advice.

The announcement follows the trauma of a failed pregnancy in December 2001 when the countess was airlifted to hospital after suffering an ectopic pregnancy.

Surgeons operated to remove the foetus from her fallopian tube after she was rushed to King Edward VII Hospital by air ambulance.

Royal duties

Sophie was 36 at the time and doctors said that if the condition had continued undiagnosed, it could have been life-threatening.

She later spoke of her sadness at losing their first baby but said she was optimistic the couple could still start a family.

"I'm obviously very sad, but it was just not meant to be," she said.

"But there will be other chances."

The good news also follows the couple's struggle to combine high profile jobs in television and public relations with royal duties since they married in 1999.

In 2001 the countess was recorded making indiscreet remarks about several public figures by an undercover tabloid reporter.

She then gave a newspaper interview in which she spoke about her husband's sexuality, stating "my Edward's not gay".

IVF rumours

Later the same year the Earl of Wessex had to apologise after a row about filming at Prince William's university when other media organisations agreed not to film the student prince.

In March last year the couple announced they would fulfil current obligations with their separate companies before leaving.

The reason for their decision was to support the Queen during her Golden Jubilee, but the move was considered to be permanent.

BBC correspondent Peter Hunt said that as doctors consider Sophie to be an "older mum" she is expected to rest at home until the birth.

She had been due to make an official visit to Devon on Tuesday with Edward.

A spokeswoman for Sophie said Edward would be carrying out the engagements on his own.

Recent media reports have suggested that Sophie had undergone IVF treatment to get pregnant.

Buckingham Palace would not comment on the reports.

Sophie said before her first pregnancy that she hoped to have a boy and a girl, and that she would consider undergoing IVF treatment to conceive.

'Not too late'

She said she did not believe she had left it too late to have children.

"I think if I was going to have five or 10 I should have started an awful long time ago," she told the News of the World.

"But if I'm lucky enough to have any, one of each would be nice.

"I certainly don't think I have left it too late.

"I would explore all avenues and I certainly wouldn't rule out IVF."

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 535
text from www.royal.gov.uk

May 2003

ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE PREGNANCY OF THE COUNTESS OF WESSEX

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN

Their Royal Highnesses The Earl and Countess of Wessex are very pleased to announce that The Countess of Wessex is expecting a baby in December.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh and members of both families are delighted with the news.

To be released at 1000 hours BST, Tuesday 6th May, 2003

6 MAY 2003
Edward and Sophie Wessex have announced that they are expecting their first child in December. The couple, who suffered the trauma of an ectopic pregnancy in 2001, are said to be "thrilled" at the news.

"Their Royal Highnesses the Earl and Countess of Wessex are very pleased to announce that the Countess is expecting a baby," said a statement from Buckingham Palace. "The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh and members of both families are delighted."

Sophie's spokesperson has also revealed that she a little tired but is "absolutely fine". The announcement comes 18 months after she was rushed to hospital with an ectopic pregnancy. The then 36-year-old had to be airlifted to hospital where she underwent a two-and-a-half hour operation to treat the potentially life-threatening condition, in which the foetus grows outside the womb.

Sophie has been advised by doctors to rest and she will not be undertaking any official engagements for the time being.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 457
How nice. After all that happened I'm really glad for them and I hope everything will be fine this time. They deserve it. It's a real joy to have a child.

This is great news, after what happened before, I hope everything goes well, and that they have an healthy baby :)

i read news this morning its wow news for Couple Countess and Earl of Wessex have first child the Countess who lost of baby last December 2001 they she takes test at Clinic they Clinic told her she already pregnant now !

i found news in Hello magazine is

http://www.hello-magazine.com/2003/05/06/wessex/

and i found more lots news over i will send you soon! i promise okay !

Sara Boyce

7 MAY 2003
The Countess of Wessex has been keeping a low profile since news of her pregnancy was announced, as she is under doctor's orders to "take it very easy". There has been no disguising her family's excitement, however, as they spoke to journalists about the happy news.

"We're very, very happy," said Sophie's father Christopher Rhys-Jones. "We couldn't be happier – it's been a long time coming. All good things come to those who wait."

The Queen herself was said to have urged Sophie to cancel all her public engagements for the time being. The Countess has therefore scrapped a planned trip to the Cayman Islands with Edward, which was scheduled for this weekend.

During a visit to Devon on Tuesday, the Prince was sporting a broad smile. "I am just very sorry my wife can't actually be here," he said. "She has been told that she has got to take it very easy. Those are the doctor's orders and she is not going to disobey." Sophie, 38, suffered an ectopic pregnancy 18 months ago.

Meanwhile, the couple have decided that their new baby will not have a royal title, though he or she will be eighth in line to the throne. Edward and Sophie opted to break with tradition as they want their child to have as normal a life as possible. The baby will have a courtesy title, however. If it is a boy, he will be called Viscount, while a baby girl would be a Lady.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 414
from Mirror.co.uk

By Jane Kerr

Pregnant Sophie Calls off her visits

SOPHIE Wessex yesterday quit all officals engagements after annoucing that she is pregnant.

Prince Edward's 38-year-old wife has been told by her doctors to rest before the December birth.

Their advice follows her traumatic ectopic pregnancy that ended in heartbreak 18 month ago.

Edward and Sophie said they were "absol-utely thrilled" at their good news.

And a palace spokesman said: "The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and members of both families are delighted."

The Mirror rev-ealed at the end of March that Sophie was pregnant.

She was so excited she told close friends but refused to make a formal annoucement in case anything went wrong.

Friends strongly denied that she had undergone IVF.

Edward told his Joy as he toured Devon yesterday.

He said Sophie had dropped out on Doctor's orders and that "she is not going to disobey."

Edward added: " I can't tell you much more about it. There's a first time for everything, i suppose.

" I am just very sorry that my wife can't actually be here."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news

A daughter for Sophie would save family name
By Caroline Davies
(Filed: 09/05/2003)

Prince Philip's deep-rooted desire for his descendants to bear his family name may at last be realised - with the birth of a daughter to the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

While the Earl's first-born son will have no surname because he will be titled Viscount Severn, a daughter will hold the title of Lady and the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

The birth of a daughter to the Countess, who is expecting her first child in December, will present the first opportunity for a royal child to bear the surname since the Queen proclaimed, more than 40 years ago, her desire for her husband's name to be passed down.

The Mountbatten-Windsor name will be possible because of the Earl and Countess's declared intention that their children should not take the "HRH" style they are entitled to. This was announced at their wedding four years ago but, as yet, there has been no formal Royal Warrant stipulating that their children will forgo the royal style.

It is expected that the Queen will sign a Royal Warrant expressing her will around the time of the birth of the child, who will be eighth in line to the throne.

The Earl and Countess's decision is a tribute to the 82-year-old Prince, who is close to the couple. The Earl is expected to inherit the title Duke of Edinburgh, and has been continuing his father's work with the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.

The only other occasion on which the name Mountbatten-Windsor has been used in any official capacity was when Princess Anne married her first husband Capt Mark Phillips in 1973. She requested that the Queen allow her to put her name on the register as Mountbatten-Windsor. It was a gesture the Queen was delighted to approve.

It is a matter of great importance to Prince Philip that his name is passed on. He was born Prince Philip of Greece, but in a move designed by his ambitious uncle Lord Mountbatten to endear him to the British nation, the Prince adopted the appellation Mountbatten on his naturalisation shortly before his engagement to Princess Elizabeth. Mountbatten was, itself, an anglicised version of his mother's Battenberg family name.

But when his wife took the throne, the question of what the Royal Family and its descendants should be called taxed the finest brains in Britain.

The Queen was a Windsor, which itself was adopted by the British Royal Family by proclamation of King George V in 1917, replacing the German name House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha.

Prince Philip was prevented from passing on his name after Winston Churchill's cabinet put pressure on the Queen following speculation that their first-born, Prince Charles, would become the first King in the House of Mountbatten.

The Queen, who sympathised with her husband's desire to pass on the name of Mountbatten, found herself caught in the crossfire, and was eventually persuaded to give her formal approval to a proclamation in April 1952, that she and her descendants "should continue to bear the family name of Windsor".

Prince Philip, angered by the government's decision, complained to friends: "I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his children".

In 1960, with the birth of her third child, Prince Andrew, imminent, the Queen told a meeting of the Privy Council that she had decided that her descendants, other than her children, those entitled to use the style of "Royal Highness" and the title of Prince and Princes and the descendants of females who marry, would bear the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom