Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 1: March-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
Countess_of_Wessex_coa.png

Coat of Arms of the Countess of Wessex

Welcome to the new (Part 8) thread dedicated to
the Current Events of
the Earl and Countess of Wessex

It starts on March 13, 2007

Part 7, covering the period from September 1 to March 13 can be found here.

Last edited:
Hello has same pictures of the Counts of Wessex and Lady Louise in the snow. Did anyone see them?

no!! do you have a link?? =) So are they on holidays?

Photos in German "Frau aktuell"

There they published two photos. They show Sophie with Louise tobogganning. (Sledging?)Louise wears sunglasses in every photo! I don´t know but nobody can tell me that everything is well now with her eyes after some operation. They still look strange and they hide them as good as possible. I remember that photo from last summer where Louise wore that outsized white hat. It looked also strange. That´s all because of her eyes.

Perhaps Louise has some sensitivity, or perhaps her parents are cautious about exposing her eyes to the sun or glare. That's not unusual if you have a child with light-colored eyes (I have gray eyes and the sun really bothers me!).

I ALWAYS wear sunglasses in the sun. The glare off the snow (even on cloudy days) is horrible. I use big wrap-around ones that fit over my 'regular' glasses. I am legally blind without my glasses and have never had an operation on them. Given that Louise has had at least one operation and is still very young, her parents are being smart--whether or not they are following doctor's advice.

But it does make someone easier to spot when snooping for photos.

Countess on a ‘voyage’ with the WI

The Countess was given a guided tour of the Railton Road building at Queen Elizabeth Park, Stoughton, Guildford, which the SFWI has occupied since leaving its previous base in Denmark Road, Guildford, last October. Having recently joined the Bagshot branch of the WI, the Countess spent 45 minutes chatting with various representatives and unveiled a plaque to declare the building open.
Before becoming the first person to sign the guest book she said: “There are so many talents waiting to jump out at me.

Picture - The Countess

Thanks for the photo, Avalon. The Countess looks very nice, the blue colour and the outfit really suits her.

point of vue have photos too of louise in the snow

The photos are linked in the Lady Louise part 2 thread.

She's so big and looks very happy. Both she and her mother are wearing sunglasses.

It's so good to see the Countess out and about. The pictures of her and Lady Louise are so great to see. I think Prince Edward and Sophie are being very prudent parents when it comes to rearing their daughter to be as normal as possible.

Sophie has two new patronages: The David Lewis Centre , National Epilepsy Centre and the Wells Cathedral GIrls Chorister Trust.
Edward will also be making a visit to America In May and Belgium in April.

Of the non-Wales', who amongst the Windsors has the most patronages (of the Queen's children's generation)?

her hair

glad to see that the countess hair is growing back. she looks much younger when she let's it grow.

I think she looks less like Diana (not that I think she looks much like her at all but the comparisons are fewer) with longer hair. She looks better when her hair flatters her, without comparison.

Q: Lindsay, Bournemouth
Can you tell me why I have never seen any Royal Warrants for The Earl and Countess of Wessex?

The only members of the Royal Family who are able to grant warrants are The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales. Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was also a grantor of warrants; warrants granted by her were retained for five years from her death in 2002, which means that these warrants will be withdrawn at the end of 2007.
this is from Welcome to the official web site of the British Monarchy
and i wanted to ask if sb could be so nice to tell me, what a warrant is? because my dictionary tells me of sth that has to do with a stay in prison?
thank you a lot, lisa

Last edited:
Most English dictionaries use the USA definition where a warrant is issued for someone's arrest based on certain evidence and/or circumstances.

My understanding of a British Royal Warrant is that it is a grant made by senior members of the British Royal Family (currently only HM Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip and Prince Charles, as noted above) to companies or tradespeople who supply goods and services to individuals in the family.

Its like getting the seal of approval. "We make the soaps for the British Royal Family residences", for example. It brings attention, business, and sometimes more scrutiny.

As I recall, Mr. Fayad's Harrod's once had a Warrant for something which was reverted after he started compaigning the conspiracy theories regarding the accident that killed Diana, Dodi and the driver.

There is no permanent Warrant so once you've got one, you MUST maintain your standards as you can lose the Warrant. Of course some have been renewed so much, they're older than a century. Which makes me wonder just who has the oldest Warrant as they are not restricted to British citizens?

ETA: And once the person who issued your Warrant has passed, there is a time-limit on it (the standard is five years-again, as noted above). King Charles will likely have a different slate of Warrants than his mother HM Queen Elizabeth. And once William is made PoW, he can issue Warrants but not his wife--although Camilla would be able to as wife to King Charles

Countess of Wessex marks hospital redevelopment

The Countess of Wessex was in the region today to officially mark a hospital's multi-million pound redevelopment.
The £21m scheme at Northallerton's Friarage Hospital, which was completed last summer, includes a refurbished maternity unit and a neonatal department and children's unit.
The countess, wearing a pillar box red suit and pearls, was greeted by flag-waving children from the Friarage Hospital Play Group.

Pics 14.4.2007

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, pictured during a visit to the Tyne Cot Cemetery in Zonnebeke and the Passchendaele Memorial Museum 1917 with a delegation of the Saskatchewan Dragoons, a reserve unit of the Canadian army, Saturday 14 April 2007. BELGA PHOTO KURT DESPLENTER

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
More pics here!

new edward and sophie photos from newscom
Newscom.com | Login
the photo of sophie with the baby is so so so sweet!

Edward to visit Israel

Here is some news:

The first article is about Edward's visit to Israel in September. He will be the first royal to official visit the Holy land for the DOE Awards. Prince Philip was there for his mom's internment and Prince Charles was there for President Rabin's funeral.

JTA: British Royal to visit Israel
The Weston Mercury: Earl will unviel new Goblin logde
Kent News: Hospital centenary celebration to get royal seal of approval
Macclesfield Express: Volunteer Conference is a right royal affair

I think the baby's mom was one of the athletes that was posing for photos at the press gathering. Sophie appears to offer to hold him while they take the photos.​

After all the talk about Kate Middleton's middle-class family and it may have led to her breakup with William (always a possiblity that it did, though I don't really believe it), how is Sophie fairing in the family; and, did she have to go through an "orientation" and "learning" process before she got to marry Edward?:)

I think that you could possibly say that Edward and Sophie had a five year learning period. But it should be remembered that Edward has never really been one to go on about class. His friends at Gordonstoun were middle class and his friends at Cambridge the same. There was even jokes about him rubing shoulders with the lowly folk he was keeping company with in the theatre. Besides Ivar Mountbatten and friends of the family - the majority of Edward's friends are commoners.
Edward and Sophie dated since Oct/Nov 1993 and only married in 1997. It is possible that there was engagements as it is believed that the Queen asked Edward and Sophie to take their time after the divorces of her other children. What really should be noted is that Edward is the youngest child and that the chances of him becoming king are very little. The Queen and Buckingham Palace are thus more accomandating. Edward has also been known to politely till the courtiers to take a flying leap when they muddle in his life. He has also made it known to the Queen that if he was to choose between the Royal family and Sophie - he would pick Sophie.
I personally think that Edward found something in the Rhys-Jones that he didn't have in the Windsors. A sense of belonging maybe. Christopher, Mary and David really made him feel welcome and at home. They aren't social climbers and I came to the conclusion more that once that the Queen herself was quite envious of them.
How Sophie fits into the Royal family today is another story. Edward hid his relationship with her for almost months from the press and his family, as he thought they would ruin it. This time gave Sophie ample opportunity to learn the ropes from Edward and his staff who were only to happy to show her. Edward's friends helped out as well. But she didn't have to be anyone but herself. I recently spoke to a woman who had been with Sophie in school and had caught up with her recently. She laughed when she said that Sophie hadn't changed a bit, same sense of humour, same personality. She is the same old Sophie.
I have read that Camilla and Princess Micheal of Kent speak down to Sophie because her father was a tyre salesman, but the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh prefer her to all their daughter's in law. So I think it says more about them than about her.

The big difference I suppose is that Edward and Sophie noted that they wanted a marriage, not a fairy tale. And they were mature and honest enough to know the difference.

Last edited:
Claire said:
I have read that Camilla and Princess Micheal of Kent speak down to Sophie because her father was a tyre salesman..... ........So I think it says more about them than about her.
Alleged to, but the perennial question, where is the proof that either one of them 'look down' on Sophie, or that if they do, (which I doubt), it is because of her fathers job?

One must not forget that Sophie was in PR for years, so she knows how to please. More than anything, there were and are lower expectations of Edward and his wife. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom