Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 1: March-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Edward is very unlikely to become King,I agree that there are lower expectations for the couple. And as for Camilla and Princess Michael of Kent looking down on Sophie because of her middle class background;I've read and heard interviews by royal-watcher James Whitaker(this was before the two married) where he stated that Sophie's background wasn't sufficient enough to marry Edward;how snobbish!:huh:

misselle said:
Since Edward is very unlikely to become King,I agree that there are lower expectations for the couple. And as for Camilla and Princess Michael of Kent looking down on Sophie because of her middle class background;I've read and heard interviews by royal-watcher James Whitaker(this was before the two married) where he stated that Sophie's background wasn't sufficient enough to marry Edward;how snobbish!:huh:
James I don't think he has managed to get anything right has he.:lol: He really is one of the lower class reporters. We have all seen pictures of Camilla and Sophie having a chat and a laugh.

claire said:
Edward has also been known to politely till the courtiers to take a flying leap when they muddle in his life. He has also made it known to the Queen that if he was to choose between the Royal family and Sophie - he would pick Sophie
On what evidence have you based this statement? (asking nicely, with a genuine curiosity) :flowers:

I actually have Andrew Morton saying exactly the same thing.
In 1998 it was nicely put to Edward that now would be the right time to marry Sophie, have a nice big wedding and generate some nice PR for the royal family. Edward refused, noting that his life was not a commerical.
In 2003 Edward noted to people at an engagement that he always somehow knew his life would be controlled by women. A man nearby laughed and remarked that with the Queen being his mother that was an inevitabilty. Edward laughted and noted no - Sophie and Louise controlled his life and piorities in life.

Claire said:
I actually have Andrew Morton saying exactly the same thing.
In 1998 it was nicely put to Edward that now would be the right time to marry Sophie, have a nice big wedding and generate some nice PR for the royal family. Edward refused, noting that his life was not a commerical.
In 2003 Edward noted to people at an engagement that he always somehow knew his life would be controlled by women. A man nearby laughed and remarked that with the Queen being his mother that was an inevitabilty. Edward laughted and noted no - Sophie and Louise controlled his life and piorities in life.
As we all know, Morton is not a reliable source, having had very little contact with anyone but Diana. I did a major search and could not find any article in which Edward made a 'choices' statement on or off the record. The trouble with the likes of Whitaker or Morton seems to be, IMO, they pass their own beliefs as 'having heard'. We saw with Anne and Andrew, there was no prerequisit for their marriages of noble families, just love. I am not too keen on Sophie, but I don't believe that anyone thought she was not good enough based on what her father did and I don't believe that Camilla looks down on her, as I said, we have all seen them together at various events, laughing and chatting. :flowers:

As a very new father in 2003, Louise was released from hospital around November wasn't she, I would imagine that as with all new parents, the baby controlled his life! :flowers:

Skydragon said:
The trouble with the likes of Whitaker or Morton seems to be, IMO, they pass their own beliefs as 'having heard'. :

Geez, I thought Andrew Morton had fallen off the radar entirely. I haven't seen anything by him or heard or seen any of him since the Diana Tapes and all that came out in the initial months and years following her death.
I know he used to write for the Sunday Times, but I believe that was ages ago, and I never saw anything by him in recent years.

CasiraghiTrio said:
Geez, I thought Andrew Morton had fallen off the radar entirely. I haven't seen anything by him or heard or seen any of him since the Diana Tapes and all that came out in the initial months and years following her death.
I know he used to write for the Sunday Times, but I believe that was ages ago, and I never saw anything by him in recent years.
Off topic,I know, but Morton is writing a book on Tom Cruise. Plenty to keep him busy and off the Royal radar!

Claire said:
I think that you could possibly say that Edward and Sophie had a five year learning period. But it should be remembered that Edward has never really been one to go on about class...

What a great answer. It makes me want to research a little more about the couple and their relationship. I did hear once, though, that Edward insisted on others, even friends, to address him as Sir. Perhaps it may have been just a rumour.

Skydragon said:
James I don't think he has managed to get anything right has he.:lol: He really is one of the lower class reporters. We have all seen pictures of Camilla and Sophie having a chat and a laugh.

On what evidence have you based this statement? (asking nicely, with a genuine curiosity) :flowers:

It is quite interesting about the BRF. With in-laws and such, it appears that they are quite like many of us on the forum. One day we like our brother-in-law, the next day we don't. As it is with our uncles and aunts. As our cousins become older, we find we spend little time with them as we did as youngsters, as we have our own group of friends.:)

HRH Kimetha said:
It is quite interesting about the BRF. With in-laws and such, it appears that they are quite like many of us on the forum. One day we like our brother-in-law, the next day we don't. As it is with our uncles and aunts. As our cousins become older, we find we spend little time with them as we did as youngsters, as we have our own group of friends.:)
A very good point, IMO. :flowers:

sophie look radiant!

HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex, pictured arriving for the Livery Dinner of the Worshipful Company of Wax Chandlers at Girdlers Hall, City of London, UK, 23/04/2007.
Fotobanka isifa image service

I think this dress is diffinitely one of the best. We see a lot of clothes reused from Sophie, but who worries if she still looks good in them.

I for one look foward to seeing what wacky hat we will see at Ascot. We don't have long to wait as Royal Chelsea is coming up and then we get all the balls, garden parties and such.

Last edited:
I like this dress. But why she almost always wear similar costumes and hats???

I think that she sticks to the same colours, cuts and designs that she is used to, comfortable with. I know it sounds strange, but we have actually discussed with some of these designs are new, or simply modifications of the other dress or outfit.

Thanks a lot for posting the link with the newest pics, corazon!
I also think that Sophie looked great, and as to her style, I think it's quite good to have one you
feel comfortable with, instead of always trying out something new not knowing if it's really the best
choice you've made :)

iceflower said:
Thanks a lot for posting the link with the newest pics, corazon!
you're welcome, Ice!
I think sophie look very very well! the dress is so beautiful

Last edited by a moderator:
Dutiful royal wives Sophie and Mathilde on trend for spring

With their stylish blonde bobs and fashion savvy wardrobes, royal mums Sophie Wessex and Princess Mathilde of Belgium were flexing their fashion credentials as they fulfilled official duties in their respective homelands this week.
A blue colour palette and animal prints are both set to be key looks for spring/summer and it seems Sophie and her Belgian counterpart are already ahead of the game. Prince Edward's wife was a vision of spring in a tailored pale-blue suit as she visited Winchester charity Homestart, which offers child-raising support to parents. And the 42-year-old seemed in her element as she toured the facility, chatting to couples and their kids.

Pictures: Sophie

Avalon said:
With their stylish blonde bobs and fashion savvy wardrobes, royal mums Sophie Wessex and Princess Mathilde of Belgium were flexing their fashion credentials as they fulfilled official duties in their respective homelands this week.Sophie

You know I never thought about it, but Sophie has the looks of a Queen who would wear the costume and crown very well.:)

magnik said:
I like this dress. But why she almost always wear similar costumes and hats???
I think the Countess has sticked to the style of this type of dress much recently and it does suits her well. If she tries on something "new" and she could receive comments such as the hats at Ascot.

Pics 3.5.2007

New pics of a wonderful Sophie tonight!

Sophie, Countess of Wessex attends The Blush Ball at the Natural History Museum on May 03, 2007 in London, England (Photos by Gareth Cattermole /Getty)

Sophie 1
Sophie 2

Nice dress but that's not her colour. It's too light for her. Maybe blue, violet, red...

Last edited:
Here's another pic of Sophie yesterday in front of a great background, the museum I think. You may be right, magnik, but she looks great nevertheless :)

Sophie 3.5.2007

Sophie looks amazing.

Love the dress and the hair. :flowers:

Countess Sophie is my favorite British royal. She is dressing better and better as the years goes by. Love the latest gown, love her necklace that can be turned into a tiara.

I think Sophie looks best in very sleek,tailored clothing;nothing too fussy is necessary to make her look good!

Pics 9.5.2007

Prince Edward visiting the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Whale Island, Hampshire, Britain - 09 May 2007 :flowers:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom