Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can certainly see a resemblance to Queen Mary in the first picture from the Zimbio gallery posted above.

Edward reminds me very much to Queen Mary. His face has the same features as hers. Does someone else perceive that way?

Does anyone know what Sophie's annual engagement tally per month/year is compared to Camilla or Anne? I am speaking post maternity leave! I sometimes wonder as looking through this thread it appears that Edward seems quite busy, but there seems less news about Sophie and her activities recently!

I am just curious!:flowers:

I remember a segment in the 'Royal Family at Work' series a wonderful bit where Sophie was visiting a huge group of elderly people and she was chatting to one elderly woman and was kneeling or bending down as the old dear was seated. It appeared, that the woman was partially sighted or maybe she was blind and Sophie was trying describe the colour of her outfit and took the woman's hand and guided her fingers over the collar of her jacket as she tried to explain an aspect of the design.....I thought that was a magic moment and revealed a rather intuitive and strikingly attractive side of Sophie's manner with people.

On November 5, Countess Sophie was in Leicestershire.

She visited Menphys centre in Wigston, a charity for children
with disabilities, as part of its 40th anniversary celebrations.
And later she officially opened Gateway College. Here are a
few nice pics from the events:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

:previous: The little girl in picture 2 does not seem to be too impressed with the whole thing. :flowers::lol:

:previous: The little girl in picture 2 does not seem to be too impressed with the whole thing. :flowers::lol:
I don't suppose the little mite quite understood why the strange woman wanted to be photographed with her!

Lovely pictures Iceflower....thank you for sharing them...much appreciated!:flowers:

It is funny but I always thought Sophie was a bit bland.....but she has grown on me quietly and gradually over the years, and I quite like the image and persona which she projects in public. She seems to have an easiness of manner and I really like the way she seems to smile so much.....I mean really smile...not a fixed 'face-ache' smile if you all know what I mean! And she isn't at all chocolate boxy either.....:D

Sophie looks beautiful, the girl in the second picture looks a bit distracted. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the week commencing 7th November, Sophie had 6 engagements, compared with 17 for Princess Anne, and 16 for Camilla. The Duchess of Gloucester had 4 engagements and Princess Alexandra had 7 engagements.

For the record Sophie's engagements were:
7th November - attended Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance
8th November - attended the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday
10th November - presented the Tomorrow’s People Awards for Achievement at Plaisterers’ Hall in the City of London
11th November - attended a Business Leaders Lunch, and afterwards held a meeting of Childine at Buckingham Palace, and in the evening attended a dinner at the Dorchester Hotel in Park Lane

Last edited by a moderator:
Camsterlaird - you are an absolute angel for providing such a detailed response to my query! Thank you very much!:flowers: Interesting...perhaps Sophie was just having a quieter week than is generally the norm for her?!

But there was no surprise that the Princess Royal topped the chart of engagements fulfilled! She really is extraordinary...I mean talk about setting the high bench mark!

Could it be that Sophie has young children hence less activities for her compared to Pr Anne and others?

Sophie is not considered a full time working royal and is I understand, very hands on with her children. I don't think any of the royals should be judged on the amount of official engagements they participate in, otherwise we could end up with 100's of flying visits, with no substance. :D

Sophie is not considered a full time working royal and is I understand, very hands on with her children. I don't think any of the royals should be judged on the amount of official engagements they participate in, otherwise we could end up with 100's of flying visits, with no substance. :D

Good point Skydragon re:- quotas and substance! I totally see your point in that!

I did not realize that Sophie was still actively making the most of her time with the children.....as I keep forgetting that James is still not quite two!!!! Who can blame Sophie for wanting to spend as much time as she can with him before he starts going to play school!!! Make the most of it I say!!!!

The more I see of her and the more I hear about her, the more I find my regard for Sophie increasing!

It may sound like a silly question but does anyone know if Edward and Sophie have any pets....dog(s) perhaps.....I am a dog person and anyone who has a dog gets lots of brownie points from me!

It may sound like a silly question but does anyone know if Edward and Sophie have any pets....dog(s) perhaps.....I am a dog person and anyone who has a dog gets lots of brownie points from me![/QUOTE]

Three last I heard. 2 Labs and a spaniel, Badger, Piper and Otto.

When exchange student Levi Gennrich arrived in New Zealand he never dreamt he would meet Prince Edward.
The Glenfield College student from Germany was on the Spirit of New Zealand boat on Waitemata Harbour with 40 other teenagers when the Prince came on board for a day

Prince one of the crew | Stuff.co.nz

In the week commencing 7th November, Sophie had 6 engagements, compared with 17 for Princess Anne, and 16 for Camilla. The Duchess of Gloucester had 4 engagements and Princess Alexandra had 7 engagements.

For the record Sophie's engagements were:
7th November - attended Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance
8th November - attended the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday
10th November - presented the Tomorrow’s People Awards for Achievement at Plaisterers’ Hall in the City of London
11th November - attended a Business Leaders Lunch, and afterwards held a meeting of Childine at Buckingham Palace, and in the evening attended a dinner at the Dorchester Hotel in Park Lane

In addition to the point about "quality" and not "quantity" of engagements, I wanted to point out that a week is just not a representative sample as work loads and the number of engagements carried out can vary substantially from week to week. I suspect that was a busy week for the DoC as she was on an official tour of Canada, and she usually undertakes fewer engagements in an average week.

On Wednesday, November 18, Sophie officially opened the
new day care centre at St Rocco’s Hospice, Bewsey and
later that day also went to the charity "Brainwave" at
Birchwood, a charity that helps children with brain injuries
and genetic conditions and of which she is the patron.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

If there was more coverage, we would see much more of
her many engagements..As said before, that's really a pity.

I take your point Muriel...! It was so relevant to the tour of Canada! Thank you for your very pertinent point re: quality and quantity!

On Wednesday, November 25, Countess Sophie was in Bedfordshire
and had three events there:
She visited St John's School in Kempston, a school for children with
learning difficulties, then she has been to the MS Therapy Centre, a
centre that offers therapy, information and support for people with
Multiple Sclerosis, and the last visit Sophie has made, was one to
Happy Dogs in Clapham where dogs are trained to assist people with
disabilities of all kinds.

So a busy and surely interesting day for Sophie :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Doh....they wont open for me! (pouting a la Keira Knightley!!!!) Ho-Hum!

No I yhink House Wessex has closed or moved so that is a same as the coverage was really good. I agree that there should be more of Sophie but anything is quite difficult.

I think as a relatively minor royal, a lot of Sophie's engagements does not attract coverage from the national press. It may attract some attention from regional and local press, but as those businesses get squeezed, I suspect their coverage is more focussed

Pics 1.12.2009

Yesterday, December 1st, Sophie officially opened the Middleton
Arena in Middleton, Manchester. She unveilled a commemorative
plaque at the £15 million sports and entertainment centre and
enjoyed a tour of the arena. Here are some nice pics:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

:previous:
It is always a pleasure to see Countess of Wessex carrying out engagements. Children feel completely at ease interacting with Countess of Wessex.

I think it's the good mixture of the amired royal lady and
the lovely aunt that attracts the children :)

The Earl of Wessex, Royal Colonel, 2nd Battalion The Rifles,
attended a Service of Remembrance and Thanksgiving to
remember troops from the Northern Ireland-based 19 Light
Brigade killed in the war in Afghanistan, in St. Anne’s Cathedral,
Belfast, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant
of the County Borough of Belfast (Dame Mary Peters), December
2, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

I often wonder whether the Earl of Wessex feels entirely comfortable in uniform as a Colonel! I am always surprised that he agreed to accept military appointments as such, in light of his resignation from the Marines! I am not criticizing him personally, but often muse how he may feel about his 'honorary' status in military matters.

I often wander whether the Earl of Wessex feels entirely comfortable in uniform as a Colonel! I am always surprised that he agreed to accept military appointments as such, in light of his resignation from the Marines! I am not criticizing him personally, but often muse how he may feel about his 'honorary' status in military matters.

I know what you mean; I've wondered the same thing. I think it's a bit of a double standard, considering that most royal ladies who hold honorary appointments never served in the military either. But it's different for the men, isn't it? (I'm thinking of instances where Edward would have to appear in military uniform but his wife would only have to wear a pin/insignia on her outfit.) In any case, he was not suited for a military career so I hope he looks on these appointments as a way to honor those who are.

I'm fairly sure that this is the way that members of the Royal Family see their honourary military appointments. In Edward's case, I'd guess that he's very much aware of all the criticism that he got for leaving the Royal Marines. Sometimes I wonder how he would have gotten along had he trained for one of the other services, because the Marine training is supposed to be the toughest.

In any case, he was not suited for a military career so I hope he looks on these appointments as a way to honor those who are.

I'm fairly sure that this is the way that members of the Royal Family see their honorary military appointments. In Edward's case, I'd guess that he's very much aware of all the criticism that he got for leaving the Royal Marines. Sometimes I wonder how he would have gotten along had he trained for one of the other services, because the Marine training is supposed to be the toughest.

The only difference would be that Edward's route into the Marines changed him. If he was in the army or the air force he could have gone straight in from gap year and he would probably still be there now.

Personally and I know that I will be corrected on this. Edward took the wrong route into the Marines. He took a programme that allow prospective officers to attend university and train during weekends and vacations to be Marines. Now that is a difficult programme to follow for anyone but it was a near impossibility for a royal.
Edward's first year saw him participating in more extramural activities (you'll remember that he was still completing his gold Edinburgh Award) so he was doing rugby, royal tennis and drama. He was also collected money for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and undertaking royal engagements. Then on weekends and holidays the marines took over and he would skip for royal duties.
In his third year he was in charge of the Rag Week which collect money for charity. He had dropped rugby by now, but the rest of his schedule was the same. So that by the time he had passed his degree no one - notably his professors at Cambridge were surprised that he didn't do better. I am told that he simply wanted to cram as much into his time at uni as possible.
So by the time he reported to the Royal Marines he had spend three years of weekends and holidays with him. He already had passed the physical requirements, it was simply the course work for officers and then he would have gotten his commission. But by now he knew that the marines was not for him. His answer from the day he left the marines till today remains that at 17 when he joined up he was absolutely committed to the marines, at 21 he was no longer that person.

Millions of people around the world have left the armed services, they are not cowards or anything else for this. Just as simply as the billions of us that have never thought of been in the military are not. But it is generally thought that there is a conscription imposed on royal males close to the throne, I can believe that, and I am glad Edward rebelled against it.

I was surprised to read that he resigned his commission before graduation. I suppose he had no choice as if he had graduated, he would have had to sign on for however many years. Can't help but wonder why he didn't switch to another job in the forces like William and Harry did. I think it will always be a blot on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom