The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Edward really seems have the best qualities of both the Queen and Prince Philliip- what luck.....liked the video.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Yep, it was barely covered. But the little press it got was positive. :)
Unfortunately Edward has inherited the Queen and Duke's worst attributes as well. I really expect him to have the stupid politically incorrect remarks soon, simply because he has an odd sense of humour and many people simply don't get it, probably because it isn't funny at all. And he is very proper like the Queen,although I have been told that Sophie has helped him with that quiet a bit.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Earl of Wessex's visit to Australia was today embroiled in controversy after he suggested that the death of a Sydney schoolboy taking part in a Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme could help recruit more young people to the programme.
The 45-year-old prince, on a week-long trip to Australia to commemorate 50 years of the scheme in the Antipodes, told The Australian newspaper that it remains popular because it offers the possibility of serious danger and even death

Prince Edward courts controversy with gaffe over death of boy on father's scheme - Times Online

Old 10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Something I never would have expected from the Earl. Thats not good for him.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Uh Thats unexpected and odd seems off the mark from his usual statements IMO.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Courtier

That was a very insensitive and stupid comment. And I don't think it can be compared with any of Prince Philip's comments - they tend to be witty, ironic, funny, maybe slightly tactless, but Edward's comment (and on a case he admitted to have no knowledge of) is just so very imprudent.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Majesty

However - it is true - certainly at my school many young people have taken up the scheme because of the boy's death and therefore the chance for adventure and danger the award scheme offers.

Before the death we would get about 10 kids a year now we get close to 30 starting bronze annually. We have been running the scheme for nearly 20 years and since this death we have had a definite increase in the numbers doing the award and the numbers moving through to gold before leaving school.

It was an insensitive remark however truthful it may seem. The death was some of the 'best' publicity for the scheme in the sense that it made many more young people aware of the scheme.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

I imagine he was misquoted or misunderstood. The Prince wouldn't be that callous. Another example of the media trying to undermine the Royal family.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
I imagine he was misquoted or misunderstood. The Prince wouldn't be that callous. Another example of the media trying to undermine the Royal family.
The article seems to be accurate, unless you are looking through rose coloured glasses!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Wink

Just trying to be positive Skydragon. You should try it! It makes life so much sweeter...x
when one reads the Prince's quote in its contexthe wasn't being callous or trivialising the death of the poor boy but merely making an observation on the impact of the tragedy on the D of E award.
I hope...
Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
Just trying to be positive Skydragon. You should try it! It makes life so much sweeter...x.
Strange, I thought this was a forum to discuss the royal families,
Old 10-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Why did the Times feel it necessary to bring up Edward's stint of training in the Royal Marines? That old information gave a negative slant to the article before Edward's comment was quoted.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

You know I think Mermaid1962 these Times folk are just plain horrible... am I allowed to say that? will I be deleted for saying this? ... but Edward seems like a nice guy to me. Just trying to find a niche for himself and get on with it and then these nasty articles making fun of him I get quite upset for him and those like him.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Aristocracy

I agree Bertie. It's lazy journalism. They start with the question "what's the general perception of Prince Edward?" now write the article with that bias...
Old 10-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Royal Highness

I have become more in favour of the Earl and Countess of Wessex recently because they have moved away from paid jobs/businesses and are sticking to royal duties and charities. The Countess in particular seems to be an excellent ambassador not only to the Royal Family but also to the country. For some reason, I prefer the royals being royal rather than trying anything else!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Why did the Times feel it necessary to bring up Edward's stint of training in the Royal Marines? That old information gave a negative slant to the article before Edward's comment was quoted.
Probably because that is the one of the points made about him by Australian commentators, it was the Australian article the story was picked up from. If people here know him, it seems to be because he left the training. It really didn't need a negative slant, it was a stupid thing to say and showed, IMO, a lack of compassion or feeling for the parents/relatives of the boys who died. A callous remark by any standard, I would have thought.
Quote:
Showing that he has inherited his father's knack of putting his foot in it, Prince Edward has suggested that the death of a schoolboy taking his Duke of Edinburgh Award could recruit more people into the programme. The prince, who is visiting Australia to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the adventure scheme for young people, said it remains popular because it offers the possibility of ' serious danger and even death'.

Quote:
However Australian commentators attacked the remarks as 'crass' and 'insensitive' and ridiculed the fact that at the age of 22 Edward quit a Royal Marines training course because he found it too tough.
David died of dehydration in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney in December 2006.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Nobility

Not looking good for the Prince - this is now being covered by the BBC on news 24. The DofE Award Scheme has issues a rather long and boring statement about its safety record but "Buckingham Palace has refused to comment". Given that the presenters have just said that Nicolas Whitchell the BBC Royal Correspondent will be "joining them later" i sense this is going to be a relatively big news story.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Prince Edward’s ‘gaffe’ is nowhere near as good as Prince Philip’s – Telegraph Blogs
Prince Edward finds support for award's risk | The Australian
Old 10-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

If one infers a generalised meaning from the quote it's that young people see the D of E as a greater challenge or take it more seriously due to the unfortunate deaths of people taking part.
As a marathon runner, I am in complete agreement. You take the event more seriously as a challenge due to fatalities. There's nothing wrong in saying that...
Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Edward has suggested the risk of death is part of the attraction of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme for young people.
BBC NEWS | UK | Death risk alluring, says prince

It was the kind of gaffe one expects from the Duke of Edinburgh himself.
BBC NEWS | UK | Is Duke's scheme really 'deadly'?

It's in the Beeb now. I have never really warmed up to Edward, he's neither here of there, and this just doesn't help.