Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to be positive Skydragon. You should try it! It makes life so much sweeter...x.
Strange, I thought this was a forum to discuss the royal families,:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did the Times feel it necessary to bring up Edward's stint of training in the Royal Marines? That old information gave a negative slant to the article before Edward's comment was quoted.:ermm:

You know I think Mermaid1962 these Times folk are just plain horrible... am I allowed to say that? will I be deleted for saying this? ... but Edward seems like a nice guy to me. Just trying to find a niche for himself and get on with it and then these nasty articles making fun of him I get quite upset for him and those like him.

I agree Bertie. It's lazy journalism. They start with the question "what's the general perception of Prince Edward?" now write the article with that bias...

I have become more in favour of the Earl and Countess of Wessex recently because they have moved away from paid jobs/businesses and are sticking to royal duties and charities. The Countess in particular seems to be an excellent ambassador not only to the Royal Family but also to the country. For some reason, I prefer the royals being royal rather than trying anything else!

Why did the Times feel it necessary to bring up Edward's stint of training in the Royal Marines? That old information gave a negative slant to the article before Edward's comment was quoted.:ermm:
Probably because that is the one of the points made about him by Australian commentators, it was the Australian article the story was picked up from. If people here know him, it seems to be because he left the training. It really didn't need a negative slant, it was a stupid thing to say and showed, IMO, a lack of compassion or feeling for the parents/relatives of the boys who died. A callous remark by any standard, I would have thought.
Showing that he has inherited his father's knack of putting his foot in it, Prince Edward has suggested that the death of a schoolboy taking his Duke of Edinburgh Award could recruit more people into the programme. The prince, who is visiting Australia to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the adventure scheme for young people, said it remains popular because it offers the possibility of ' serious danger and even death'.

However Australian commentators attacked the remarks as 'crass' and 'insensitive' and ridiculed the fact that at the age of 22 Edward quit a Royal Marines training course because he found it too tough.
David died of dehydration in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney in December 2006.

Not looking good for the Prince - this is now being covered by the BBC on news 24. The DofE Award Scheme has issues a rather long and boring statement about its safety record but "Buckingham Palace has refused to comment". Given that the presenters have just said that Nicolas Whitchell the BBC Royal Correspondent will be "joining them later" i sense this is going to be a relatively big news story.

If one infers a generalised meaning from the quote it's that young people see the D of E as a greater challenge or take it more seriously due to the unfortunate deaths of people taking part.
As a marathon runner, I am in complete agreement. You take the event more seriously as a challenge due to fatalities. There's nothing wrong in saying that...

Having heard and read the Prince's comments I would have to say that i don't personally think the comments are outrageously offensive but are completely stupid, it seems to be a case of the Prince needing to think before he speaks. Now we have to sit back and see where this goes, even the BBC are using this to highlight the monarchy's relatively low level of public support in Australia.

Some young men and women do the award or indeed join up for the adventure, I think if you asked any of them if it was because there was a chance they might die, they would say no.

It was a stupid and insensitive comment to make, especially as it appears to have been in response to a question regarding David Iredales' death.:ermm: All he had to say was that it was tragic and his thoughts were with the boys family.

Some young men and women do the award or indeed join up for the adventure, I think if you asked any of them if it was because there was a chance they might die, they would say no.

It was a stupid and insensitive comment to make, especially as it appears to have been in response to a question regarding David Iredales' death.:ermm:

I have asked the ones at my school who will be doing their gold expedition in a couple of weeks. The comments are best summed up as 'it will be a challenge and we believe that we are well prepared and so we won't die but we know that there is a risk involved but we are going anyway'

While it was an insensetive thing for HRH to say. I can see where he was coming from. As someone in my teenage years, I can see how trying to complete something that other have died doing would be very motivating and would re-enforce the need to be prepared for anything.

Here are two more pics from that very special interview..

Prince Edward at Pyrmont for an interview with The Australian
newspaper, Sydney, Australia - 29 Oct 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

It isn't nice but it is true - unfortunately.

The death here in Australia, even though the boy concerned wasn't actually on a sanctioned DoE Award expedition, raised its profile and thus gave it 'good' publicity in the sense that any publicity is 'good' publicity.

In addition all this 'news' about Edward's comments is also publicising the scheme in a way that it normally doesn't get and so again is giving it 'good' publicity by making people aware of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it was an insensetive thing for HRH to say. I can see where he was coming from. As someone in my teenage years, I can see how trying to complete something that other have died doing would be very motivating and would re-enforce the need to be prepared for anything.

But the thing is, Edward is not a teenager, he is a grown man with children himself. It was a silly thing for him to say. He should have been thinking as a parent first rather than a teenager.

I would think that people would avoid the DoE expedition if death were a possibility... it would certainly give me pause to think!

:previous:
Death is a possibility in any physical activity. However, bushwalking or hiking is not inherently dangerous so long as the standard precautions are taken (plus we don't have coyotes!). But going out without sufficient water, adequate clothing, map etc is asking for trouble.

Pics 3.11.2009

The Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward is greeted by John Key Prime
Minister of New Zealand on arrival at Premier House on November
3, 2009 Wellington, New Zealand. HRH, The Earl of Wessex Prince
Edward is in New Zealand to discuss the future direction of The
Duke of Edinburgh Award program.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages **

Last edited:
Interesting how Edward's tour this year is similar to the itinerary for Prince William next year?

Pics 4.11.2009

Maybe that has something to do with the Commonwealth countries,
RoyalistRiley.

Maybe the gettyimages link above will be updated with the following
pics, as yesterday's pics had gotten the wrong date, but here they are
without watermarks:

Prince Edward speaks to students that took part in the The Duke of
Edinburgh's Hillary Award at Sacred Heart College on November 4, 2009
Wellington, New Zealand.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Pics 5.11.2009

Prince Edward poses with children on board the Spirit of Adventure
sailing ship and speaks to people involved with The Duke of Edinburgh's
Hillary Award at the Villa Maria Estate Vineyard on November 5, 2009
in Auckland, New Zealand.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** gettyimages **

Pics 11.11.2009

HRH The Countess of Wessex attends the Dyslexia Awards
Dinner at The Dorchester on November 11, 2009 in London,
England.

Very lovely! :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Edward reminds me very much to Queen Mary. His face has the same features as hers. Does someone else perceive that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom