Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 9: March 2015-November 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures of Sophie at the horse sanctuary are really, really lovely (which isn't a sentence I ever really expected to type :lol:). She's always very sweet with children and animals. I also really like her outfit - very casual chic.

Plus I wonder if any of you read this post?
HRH The Countess of Wessex: Thank you, to all my readers!
Here I revealed a bit of inside info.:whistling:

I saw that post - it made me very happy to know that your blog gets some recognition from high places. :)

I also want to say how much I appreciate your blog - it's very informative, and I don't quite know how you keep on top of everything! I used to follow Edward and Sophie more closely in the early years of their marriage, but when the press mostly stopped paying attention to them, it became harder to know what they were up to (especially as those were pre-social media days). So I'm very grateful for your blog, and especially the fact that you cover everything in such detail - from details of Sophie's engagements and the organizations involved, to her clothing and jewelry.

World Exclusive: Sophie, Countess of Wessex- Why The Queen inspires me-
World Exclusive: Sophie Countess of Wessex on for The Queen | Royal | News | Daily Express

An excellent interview with HRH The Countess of Wessex. You really gain some insight into how Sophie feel about her life as a full-time member of the royal family and the many charities she supports. Also, Sophie don't have a personal fitness trainer nor a stylist, contrary to some past reports out there.

I wish other members of the royal family would do interviews like this, because it gives you first hand insight into who the person really is, and not what others think they are. That personal perspective is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
That is a lovely, elegant, delicate and honest interview. Good one Sophie!

Sophie is far enough away from the throne to give this kind of interview. Camilla and Kate as future Queens can't do it because of the backlash.

Sophie is far enough away from the throne to give this kind of interview. Camilla and Kate as future Queens can't do it because of the backlash.

I don't think there would be any backlash for an interview like this. Even Queen Rania has given interviews like this, more than once actually. It's nothing totally personal, but it's honest, open and it has given us a pretty nice perspective on her life as a working royal.

It's far better than reading articles about members of the royal family, based on tons of unnamed "sources" and third party. I liked hearing from Sophie personally.

I agree its a nice interview but there would be backlash against Kate and Camilla. The British press is a strange beast.

Its moot anyway because they aren't going to give interviews

World Exclusive: Sophie, Countess of Wessex- Why The Queen inspires me-
World Exclusive: Sophie Countess of Wessex on for The Queen | Royal | News | Daily Express

An excellent interview with HRH The Countess of Wessex. You really gain some insight into how Sophie feel about her life as a full-time member of the royal family and the many charities she supports. Also, Sophie don't have a personal fitness trainer nor a stylist, contrary to some past reports out there.

I wish other members of the royal family would do interviews like this, because it gives you first hand insight into who the person really is, and not what others think they are. That personal perspective is very much appreciated.

I agree that it's great Sophie did this as personal interviews disprove awful tabloid theories such as the personal trainer one or having a stylish. It also cleared up the debate over whether Louise had exotropia or something worse. Many people used to say she was a child with learning difficulties because of her eyes when in actual fact we now know she only had a squint. Her vision is completely fine!

I am also excited to see what Sophie is going to do for the Diamond Anniversary of the Duke of Edinburgh Award as she says she is doing a challenge and hoping to get a pin. I look forward to seeing the photo of Philip or Edward giving her her little award. :)

It was nice to read Sophie's latest interviews. I really like her - she's one of my favourite members of the BRF. I just wish she would get more coverage and publicity. She's almost like an unsung hero because she does a lot of work but a lot of it gets unreported by the major news sites and channels.

It was interesting to hear that she never used to pay much attention to fashion because I think she's rather stylish.

It was nice to read Sophie's latest interviews. I really like her - she's one of my favourite members of the BRF. I just wish she would get more coverage and publicity. She's almost like an unsung hero because she does a lot of work but a lot of it gets unreported by the major news sites and channels.
Sadly she will never get the recognition she deserves, but things have improved.
HRH The Countess of Wessex: The Countess opens up to royal editor Camilla Tominey about her work, fashion and secret challenge....

I think that Sophie has grown in these years she's been a member of the royal family: both in her role and in her attire. I think that she has experimented a lot and now she knows what suits her best... In her early days as a royal I don't think she used to wear as stylish as today. But it is a natural thing i supposed. Like she said, it takes time... It is interesting that she has never been recognised or covered enough, even though things seem to have been better lately. I have the feeling the queen appreciate her highly and that Sophie has gained (after few initial missteps) her majesty's appraisal.

Btw, I don't know what Camilla and Kate have to do here... it was a lovely interview and that's it.

Last edited:
I really like Sophie and she gets better with age

Lovely interview, I've always really like Sophie. Am not quite sure I believe her about never having had a stylist - she clearly underwent a major fashion overhaul about 4 years ago, and I'm sure she had someone helping her (even if that person wasn't technically a stylist, but maybe a friend). The change in her style was just too pronounced.

I find it interesting to hear her talk about transitioning from her PR career to her role as a full-time royal. I would certainly imagine that it wouldn't be easy to go from running your own company to being involved in things in a more passive way.

As for other members of the royal family giving interviews, frankly it's quite rare generally. I think this is only about the third interview that Sophie has given in the 16 years that she's been married to Edward (and one of those was given in a desperate attempt to get the News of the World not to publish the fake sheikh tapes.)

I disagree with Royals giving interviews with regard to personal issues.

I have no problems with them speaking out on behalf of their charities and good causes.

This isn't a personal attack on Sophie. I think that such interviews move royals into the realm of celebrity - and they are not celebrities.

I didn't agree with Charlene and Mary doing it either

I disagree with Royals giving interviews with regard to personal issues.

I have no problems with them speaking out on behalf of their charities and good causes.

This isn't a personal attack on Sophie. I think that such interviews move royals into the realm of celebrity - and they are not celebrities.

I didn't agree with Charlene and Mary doing it either

Most of the interview is about charities, though - that's the main focus. Even most of the personal issues are discussed in relation to Sophie's role with her various organizations and charities. It's hardly a heart-to-heart (which I'm sure the interviewer would've preferred!) I think the article/interview strikes the best balance, really - it's undoubtedly focused on Sophie's charities, but often you've got to throw in a personal tidbit or two to make people actually want to read it. She hasn't said anything groundbreaking on a personal level here (it's not quite the infamous "My Edward is Not Gay" interview!) I mean, I don't really feel like I've learned much of anything about Sophie's personal life. Seems quite benign to me.

Most of the interview is about charities, though - that's the main focus. Even most of the personal issues are discussed in relation to Sophie's role with her various organizations and charities. It's hardly a heart-to-heart (which I'm sure the interviewer would've preferred!) I think the article/interview strikes the best balance, really - it's undoubtedly focused on Sophie's charities, but often you've got to throw in a personal tidbit or two to make people actually want to read it. She hasn't said anything groundbreaking on a personal level here (it's not quite the infamous "My Edward is Not Gay" interview!) I mean, I don't really feel like I've learned much of anything about Sophie's personal life. Seems quite benign to me.

I understand what you are saying but other papers are picking this up and leading with fashion. ie from the Telegraph "Sophie, Countess of Wessex tells how she 'caved into fashion' ". What UK papers finds interesting is the personal stuff, however limited, and they focus on that.

I agree with HMQ, QEQM, and Duchess of Cornwall - don't give personal interviews.

I understand what you are saying but other papers are picking this up and leading with fashion. ie from the Telegraph "Sophie, Countess of Wessex tells how she 'caved into fashion' ". What UK papers finds interesting is the personal stuff, however limited, and they focus on that.

I agree with HMQ, QEQM, and Duchess of Cornwall - don't give personal interviews.

Well, that's just what the papers decided to pick up on. In the article itself, though, Sophie's discussion of fashion was in the context of carrying out her role. I'm sure the interviewer was trying to get any personal information she could out of Sophie. However, Sophie doesn't really discuss her family or her home life or anything (I mean, it's not a Hello!-style interview). She admits she pays a bit more attention to clothes sometimes, and that sometimes she goes for a jog (I'm still a bit suspicious regarding the supposed lack of stylist and personal trainer :lol:), but most of what she said is in relation to the work she does. Nothing remotely controversial or anything. If other media outlets want to pick up on her comments on fashion - no big deal, IMO. They're more likely to write about her clothes than anything else no matter what she says. I really think this kind of interview is actually helpful - I do know more about her charities because of it, and it wouldn't have been prominently featured in the paper if she hadn't touched at least a little bit on other subjects (I mean, she carries out public engagements all the time, obviously, but doesn't get much coverage).

Aside from the Queen, most members of the royal family do give interviews. Camilla is an exception because going the "personal" route could be a bit tricky with her - best not to risk it.

I think the interview itself was very good and had just the right balance of discussion, with her charitable role taking precedence and some additional, ad-hoc snippets of personal information. It is a pity the media choose to focus on the fashion elements considering Sophie didn't say very much about it.

I am intrigued about the challenge she will be undertaking in respect of Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme!

Well, the press is always interested in the fashion, no matter what. We just see that when Sophie or other royal women attend an event. One can always find a mention to style and clothes. Ever.

The media is how people find out about the Royals so that fact that they emphasise the trivial aspects IS important.

I don't expect people to agree. Fans want this type of information and that's fine.

But like Jacknch its intriguing about which aspect of the DoE Award she is considering.

I think the interview itself was very good and had just the right balance of discussion, with her charitable role taking precedence and some additional, ad-hoc snippets of personal information. It is a pity the media choose to focus on the fashion elements considering Sophie didn't say very much about it.

I am intrigued about the challenge she will be undertaking in respect of Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme!

Yes, I'm also interested to find out more about her challenge. I think it's fantastic that she's going to do something, since she's quite involved with the Award (and will be Duchess of Edinburgh someday), but never actually participated in it when she was young. A great way to bring more attention to the award and to be more involved with it herself.

The media is how people find out about the Royals so that fact that they emphasise the trivial aspects IS important.

I don't expect people to agree. Fans want this type of information and that's fine.

But like Jacknch its intriguing about which aspect of the DoE Award she is considering.

I guess my feeling is just - what's the downside? Sure, like always, the media will focus on something trivial (whether the royals say anything or not), but it's bringing at least some attention to her causes. I see that as a net positive. Any attention for her charities is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the interview was great. There was nothing too personal in the interview. What Sophie said was honest, and it help shine some light on her patronages. I wouldn't mind Camilla or Catherine giving a little interview about their charities and throw a little fun facts in there. No one is saying for them to do a sit down with Barbara Walters people.

Hearing from them is far better than hearing from a few unnamed "sources" and the opinions of the journalist. It's the ghost sources that put it out there that Sophie have a stylist and a personal fitness trainer. I remember the DM article about Sophie's big transformation. We wouldn't know the truth had she not said something herself.

Camilla has posted a video explaining what the Countess was like as so many people have asked her what she was like.

What is the Countess of Wessex REALLY like?

Obviously no one except probably Edward REALLY knows what Sophie is like. I am sure she even "performs" for her in-laws and is on her best behaviour around them, whereas with her husband I am sure she is just simply Sophie. It is nice to hear Camilla's opinion on Sophie and commend her ability to connect with the children with learning disabilities, as well as being very accommodating to the press. I believe her PR background helps her hugely in these circumstances.

Well its easy to accommodate the press when it pays little interest in Sophie or her family.

If she or her children were being hounded 24/7 it would be a much different story.

Sophie knows for the most part she can go about her daily life and people don't know who she is.

For this I'm sure she is grateful.

That is all very refreshing to hear and I always hoped she would be that way and there it is .. well done Sophie

I've always been impressed with Sophie but this Duke of Edinburgh speech that she made (see link) has shot my opinion through the roof.

Sophie's DOEA speech

Yesterday evening, October 29, the Countess of Wessex attended a dinner at Sotheby's hosted by Prince Albert and the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation in honour of Winston Churchill:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

The Countess is currently with working visit in NY, as of tomorrow she will be visiting Toronto.

Here's my coverage: HRH The Countess of Wessex
Zimbio has lovely gallery from today (pics via Getty).

The Countess is currently with working visit in NY, as of tomorrow she will be visiting Toronto.

Here's my coverage: HRH The Countess of Wessex
Zimbio has lovely gallery from today (pics via Getty).

On a day like today, I dream about royals and the people, like you Anna, who do them a great service. I dream you were there to chat with the Duchess after her visit to ground zero. I know it would have been an amazing conversation and held many levels of discourse. Your background, hers, your empathy for others and the memorialiization of atrocities - it would have made for a rich conversation. Maybe painful, but rich. Your coverage of the day shows your heart.
You do good things, Anna, and we appreciate them. :bb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom