Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 8: January 2014-March 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great links Anna. Love the video from ITV and I do love a Scottish accent! :)

These 2 are certainly ratcheting up the engagements. To give you some idea - here is the extract from the Court Circular for 19th May.

19th May, 2014
The Earl of Wessex, Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, and The Countess of Wessex this morning attended the General Assembly in Edinburgh.

His Royal Highness, Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, and Her Royal Highness afterwards carried out the following engagements in Dumfries and the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex this morning opened the renovated Dock Park, Dumfries, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Dumfries (Mrs John Tulloch).

Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon attended a Reception and Lunch for local charities at Easterbrook Hall, Bankend Road, Dumfries.

The Earl of Wessex afterwards visited Drumlanrig Castle, Thornhill, Dumfries and Galloway, to view activities of the Queensberry Initiative and was received by the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry (Deputy Lieutenant of Dumfries).

The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, and The Countess of Wessex afterwards visited the Stewartry Sea Cadets, TS John Paul Jones, Castledykes Wall, Kirkcudbright, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright (Lieutenant Colonel Sir Malcolm Ross).

Their Royal Highnesses this evening gave a Dinner at the Palace of Holyroodhouse.

The Countess of Wessex this afternoon visited the Peter Pan Moat Brae Trust at Moat Brae, George Street, Dumfries.

Her Royal Highness subsequently visited the Electric Theatre Company, 28 Munches Street, Dumfries.

-------

Amazingly busy. Appalling that there is so little coverage, esp given the issues re Scotland at the moment.

If you are not familiar with the CC, All of the Earl's engagements (whether on his own or accompanied) come first and then those of the Countess.

It is odd to see him termed "His Grace" - but that is as Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. Next week he is back to being "just" HRH.

Edward and Sophie, as you have said cepe, work very hard and it goes largely unrecognised. It is because of this that people think he (and Andrew) are both lazy as they are not seen enough in the papers doing work. It bothers me but that's the British press all over. They focus on the latest thing and leave everyone else behind.

Edward and Sophie, as you have said cepe, work very hard and it goes largely unrecognised. It is because of this that people think he (and Andrew) are both lazy as they are not seen enough in the papers doing work. It bothers me but that's the British press all over. They focus on the latest thing and leave everyone else behind.

They are in their 40s, not splashy, seem well adjusted and businesslike, live a fairly secluded life outside of London, it's almost certain they will never sit on the throne, so from a press point of view, what's to cover? Their friends are discreet and their personal life is mostly mystery. I would imagine they prefer the press to be less intrusive and realize that seeming solid is the way to manage that.
And it is not just them. The coverage of Harry in Estonia/Italy was fairly mundane because he was being solid rather than a bad boy. Coverage of Charles and Camilla in NS/PEI is there but, fairly ho-hum.
Don't let's get into a discussion of others, but how many different ways can you cover an official opening, ribbon cutting, curtain pulling, memorial placed event? I'm not trivializing any of that work, but unless it is your organization's ribbon, curtain or memorial, most people don't care.
Yes it stinks. But it's reality.

Harry is loved by press, plus he is single and handsome, and good on engagements so it's always a good oportunity for pics of him, just wait when he'll be married to someone equally interesting and pretty.

As for Charles and Camilla, there is a good coverage, reporters and photographers are with them, British Monarchy shares pics, as well as Canadian Heritage via Flickr.

As for Edward & Sophie I no longer care, as long as places they visit share info and pictures it works for me. Worse when there is no info, or organizations are not cooperating, it happens but very rarely. I have got quite good answer for my blog, and now even photographers share pics with me, as long as there is a fair credit. Yes, it makes me work much more to cover them, as I have to search, write, explain, ask for permission etc, sometimes I buy pics. But in the end it was worth it. Plus I learn so much from Sophie, I really do.

They are in their 40s, not splashy, seem well adjusted and businesslike, live a fairly secluded life outside of London, it's almost certain they will never sit on the throne, so from a press point of view, what's to cover? Their friends are discreet and their personal life is mostly mystery. I would imagine they prefer the press to be less intrusive and realize that seeming solid is the way to manage that.
And it is not just them. The coverage of Harry in Estonia/Italy was fairly mundane because he was being solid rather than a bad boy. Coverage of Charles and Camilla in NS/PEI is there but, fairly ho-hum.
Don't let's get into a discussion of others, but how many different ways can you cover an official opening, ribbon cutting, curtain pulling, memorial placed event? I'm not trivializing any of that work, but unless it is your organization's ribbon, curtain or memorial, most people don't care.
Yes it stinks. But it's reality.

I totally understand what you are saying and it is probably the way they prefer it. They hid their children for the first years of their life because they wanted them to be private people and not to be in the light of a photographer all the time. They probably took a lot of persuasion to allow Louise to be Catherine's bridesmaid as they didn't want their children in the lime light. They are private people and I respect that. I only meant in terms of the public perception of the Royals (I include Andrew and Anne in this too), they need coverage so that the public don't think they are "lazy" and "unworthy" of their position.

Harry is loved by press, plus he is single and handsome, and good on engagements so it's always a good oportunity for pics of him, just wait when he'll be married to someone equally interesting and pretty.

As for Charles and Camilla, there is a good coverage, reporters and photographers are with them, British Monarchy shares pics, as well as Canadian Heritage via Flickr.

As for Edward & Sophie I no longer care, as long as places they visit share info and pictures it works for me. Worse when there is no info, or organizations are not cooperating, it happens but very rarely. I have got quite good answer for my blog, and now even photographers share pics with me, as long as there is a fair credit. Yes, it makes me work much more to cover them, as I have to search, write, explain, ask for permission etc, sometimes I buy pics. But in the end it was worth it. Plus I learn so much from Sophie, I really do.
And we are lucky you have the time to do all you do, Anna. :)

Amazing what you've achieved. Great blog

Found one image of Sophie but it's only her head and not a very flattering photo.

Twitter

I am loving seeing Edward in his kilts. I think kilts are really nice!

Kilt 1 + Kilt 2

Always lovely to see Sophie with kids/

Sophie and kids - The little boy is less than impressed though.

Thanks for the link Anna.

Today I see they visited Edward's old school Gordonstoun. I am sure that brought back a lot of memories for Edward. I know he and Andrew enjoyed it much more than Charles ever did.

Found a gallery of a visit Edward and Sophie did and I cannot for the life of me work out when it was. There are some adorable images of Sophie holding a little girl, which are of course always lovely. It looks like the little girl probably thought, "This lady's nice i'm going to hug her."

Sophie and girl

The other images are on that link. If I was her mum I would be like, "Royalty held my child!"

Those are from 1st May visit to Salisbury, St Thomas Church.
I am stuck with yesterday, no one got back to me, no royal diary, so I am holding with that, the same with today.

Found a gallery of a visit Edward and Sophie did and I cannot for the life of me work out when it was. There are some adorable images of Sophie holding a little girl, which are of course always lovely. It looks like the little girl probably thought, "This lady's nice i'm going to hug her."

Sophie and girl

The other images are on that link. If I was her mum I would be like, "Royalty held my child!"

Okay, that little girl looks like she's in heaven! Totally.:angel:I don't blame her one bit!:wub:

Meant to say on my last post- I find men in kilts very attractive!:D

Lovely photo of Sophie hugging a girl during a visit to Richmond's Hope in Edinburgh. It is a bereavement charity that helps children deal with losing someone they love.

Article and photo

Someone posted a video of Edward and Sophie's car leaving the Palace of Holyroodhouse. They have A LOT of security following them...I know they are representing the Queen and are using her standard this week, but I am not sure all those cars are necessary. Just an observation.

Video

Last edited:
Anna I screencapped Edward and Sophie yesterday and this morning attending the General Assembly in the morning. They are small images...

22 May

23 May

Thank you Molly do you have them in bigger resolution? Due to my work, I was unable to watch it. I lack image also from 21st May :(

No I don't have them in a bigger resolution. I have a couple of caps of the close of the General Assembly today as well, but they are both the same size as the ones I posted above.

Being given jellybabies - Sophie was very happy about this as she had spied the people in front had jelly babies to keep them going.

Edward's speech was again quite witty and he mentioned that he liked that the song Ubi Caritas was played as it was played at their wedding. He made a witty comment about being given the jelly babies and being glad they had not been given "Jellyatrics". These were special edition jelly babies released to celebrate 90 years of the sweets. The joke was obviously that it was a pun on geriatrics (the elderly) and you can hear Sophie say "I did try." :D

Last edited:
No I don't have them in a bigger resolution. I have a couple of caps of the close of the General Assembly today as well, but they are both the same size as the ones I posted above.

Being given jellybabies - Sophie was very happy about this as she had spied the people in front had jelly babies to keep them going.

Edward's speech was again quite witty and he mentioned that he liked that the song Ubi Caritas was played as it was played at their wedding. He made a witty comment about being given the jelly babies and being glad they had not been given "Jellyatrics". These were special edition jelly babies released to celebrate 90 years of the sweets. The joke was obviously that it was a pun on geriatrics (the elderly) :D

Molly can you explain me in more simply English, I can barely think anymore after exchanging thousands of emails and messages and writing posts :D
" she had spied the people in front had jelly babies to keep them going."
Meaning she saw them and ask to give some to her?
and you can hear Sophie say "I did try."
What did she try the "Jellyatrics"? Thanks in advance!

The Moderator had given them a box of jellybabies as that is what the Moderator had been eating during the General Assembly. He said that Sophie had seen them and they had given her and Edward a plate of jellybabies during the days of the General Assembly.

When Edward had said he was glad no one had swapped the sweets for Jellyatrics, which he was joking implied he was old, you can hear Sophie mutter "I did try".

Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom