The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Courtier

With today's modern dysfunctional families, with every member off in a different direction doing "their thing", very few families get together for this type of celebration anymore. Especially those who are "well heeled" shall we say. Thanksgiving and/or Christmas are the only holidays that bring a family together anymore.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Courtier

HRH Countess of Wessex: Happy Birthday for HRH Prince Edward. Day full of engagements!
With link to pics from helipad. And all the info

Background post on Prince Edward http://hrhcountessofwessex.blogspot....-turns-50.html

And Post on the new family photo http://hrhcountessofwessex.blogspot....leased-to.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/26451886 Interview with Prince Edward.
"Amy said the prince also revealed the best moment of his life so far had been his wedding day, which he described it as a total one-off and was "great fun and over far too quickly".

http://www.purepeople.com/article/ed...h-ii_a137863/1

You will find everything in my post.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think Andrew was out to dinner with his model friend so probably didn't attend.

I really doubt that any of the siblings attended as I feel sure we would have had photos of Anne or Charles etc arriving just as we did for The Queen and Philip. His cousin, Lord Linley and second cousin Lady Helen Taylor attended but no mention of any other royals attending.

We know that at least one nephew didn't attend as William was on holidays rather than be in the UK for his uncle's major birthday.

To me this family just doesn't do the normal everyday things that families do - celebrate major birthdays together for instance. Outside of events that involve The Queen and Philip the children and grandchildren don't appear to do much on birthdays etc as normal families do.
my bolding
You are absolutely correct. Any family has got its issues. However differences can be put aside, and the family can gather together for the major birthday.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

That's a beautiful photo of the Wessexes - I'm usually not particularly keen on wood panelling, but I have to say that this one makes the photo give off a warm, friendly atmosphere. I think the fact that everybody is smiling/laughing helps a little. It's defiantly one of my favourite photos of the family. Molly, I hope you don't mind, but it was so lovely that I had to use it as my avatar too.

Louise's vision has improved a lot since her operation. For those of you who have seen the family sitcom Outnumbered, does she remind you a little of a younger Karen? Royal wise, she reminds me of the former Princess Royal. The resemblance is so strong. I also see a bit of HM, Princess Anne and Queen Mary in her too. Not sure who James resembles yet.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Courtier

I know who sung at the party which was attended by Duke of York and Princess Royal.
https://www.facebook.com/matthewvank...levant_count=1
Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the update!
It is great that Princess Anne and Prince Andrew were in attendance.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
He celebrated his half century yesterday with a party attended by the Queen and other ROyals.
But today Prince Edward showed no signs of heavy night as he arrived bright and early at a primary school today.
The Queen's youngest son and his wife, Countess of Wessex, paid a visit to Robert Browning primary school in Walworth, London to see work carried out by Kidscape, one of the charities to receive money from the Wessex Youth Trust, the charity the couple set up shortly before their marriage in 1999.
Happy birthday, Prince Edward! Royal celebrates half a century alongside Sophie Wessex with walkabout | Mail Online

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Very nice that Andrew and Anne attended. Although we didn't see any pictures of them arriving. No info on Charles and Camilla.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
HRH Countess of Wessex: Happy Birthday for HRH Prince Edward. Day full of engagements!
With link to pics from helipad. And all the info

Background post on Prince Edward HRH Countess of Wessex: Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex turns 50 on Monday & will celebrate this milestone with engagements in London

And Post on the new family photo HRH Countess of Wessex: Special photograph has been released to mark Prince Edward's 50th birthday.

School Report - School Reporters interview birthday boy Prince Edward Interview with Prince Edward.
"Amy said the prince also revealed the best moment of his life so far had been his wedding day, which he described it as a total one-off and was "great fun and over far too quickly".

Edward de Wessex : 50 ans en famille pour le fils d'Elizabeth II

You will find everything in my post.
I love that he said his wedding day was the best moment of his life so far.... I thought he would have said his children being born, but to pick his wedding day was lovely.

Thanks for all the info Anna.

Hereditary Princess, of course I do not mind that you have used the image as well. It's such a wonderful image. I am sure there were lots of others in the photoshoot, it's a shame we only got to see one.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Band of the Grenadier Guards this morning played 'Happy Birthday to You' to mark Prince Edward’s 50th birthday during Changing the Guard

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Band of the Grenadier Guards this morning played 'Happy Birthday to You' to mark Prince Edward’s 50th birthday during Changing the Guard
Yes, you can hear it in the video I posted above. As well as Happy birthday from Children in school.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Courtier

Beautiful photos of the Earl and Countess. They both look great and its lovely to see them with the children.

The formal photo is one of the best. The photographer really captured a sense of love and fun.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Nobility

AN absolutely lovely family photo, and such a surprise that one was released! Fantastic.

Reminds me – a bit – of that formal outside one, possibly taken by Snowdon, of Charles, Diana and boys, (and horse, too, i think) where everyone in some way was touching the next person; an obviously staged photo, whereas this one, still with everyone touching the next person, totally natural. Just great.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Administrator

The Countess of Wessex visited the England hockey team at Bisham Abbey in Marlow today, March 11, 2014.

** gettyimages gallery **
Old 03-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Really great photos from the last 2 days she looks great and he had a wonderful birthday
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sophie Wessex hits the hockey ground...but does her sporting prowess match up to school captain Kate's?-
Sophie Wessex hits the hockey pitch | Mail Online

Of course they have to compare Sophie and Catherine Try not to read those comments too.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

They will always compare anyone to Catherine, but at least Sophie was silly and took off her high heels and wore sensible and appropriate footwear.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
They will always compare anyone to Catherine, but at least Sophie was silly and took off her high heels and wore sensible and appropriate footwear.
When Catherine played along with the GB Hockey Team at the Olympics (which is the comparison) she wore trainers and sports wear.

I expect you are thinking of the time she unexpectedly (that is in not planned) hit a couple of balls around at her old junior school St Andrews.

2 very different occasions.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
When Catherine played along with the GB Hockey Team at the Olympics (which is the comparison) she wore trainers and sports wear.

I expect you are thinking of the time she unexpectedly (that is in not planned) hit a couple of balls around at her old junior school St Andrews.

2 very different occasions.
My bad, sorry. I forgot Kate had gone twice. :)