Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 7: January-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this link for a few months, but it didn't work, I could only view frst pics, rest was blank, I kept checking it from time to time, even several days ago, and all of a sudden it works.
Enjoy, these are great, I recommend opening each pic in new window, as they are huge!
Kingfisher School Oldham - Royal Visit - Welcome to our School

First- Seeing Sophie with special kids never gets old. She would have been a wonderful special education teacher.:D
Second- Wonderful picture. And what an inspiring story!:D

I noticed this as well. I am sure John will be missed by Edward and Sophie as he has been with them for a long time, but he probably feels he has worked long enough!

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 40m
An interview with Prince Edward is to be broadcast on Classic FM on 4th October as part of the Windsor Festival, celebrating HM's coronation

Classic FM to broadcast Coronation Special with HRH The Earl of Wessex-
http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/latest-news/coronation-special-news/

Coronation Special with The Earl of Wessex' will be broadcast on Friday 4th October from 8pm-10pm.

Last edited:
Ah, well DM certainly loves to make a stir out of nothing.

Last edited:
Edward has always worn quirky ties. It's a way that men can express their personality, as women can wear fancy dresses and carry lovely bags etc. Men make do with quirky ties, AND I reckon some of them are bound to be gifts from Sophie or his kids. They are hilarious ties sometimes.

Thanks for the link, Anna. Sophie's dress is amazing.

Sadly, I think this:
23rd October 2013
The Countess of Wessex

President, Girlguiding, will open the new Residential Lodge, Somermead, Snipefield Lane, Wedmore, Somerset
Patron, the Two Moors Festival, will attend a Festival Concert, at the Cathedral Church of St. Peter, The Cloisters, Exeter, Devon.
President, National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, will visit the Service Centre, Guild Heritage House, Braggs Lane, Old Market, Bristol.
..... rules out Sophie from being a Godmather, as Prince George's christening will take place exactly on that day :sad:

Last edited:
That's a bummer! This was arranged much earlier than the date for George's christening, so they could perhaps be rearranged. I would have thought, even if she wasn't a godparent, that she would have at least attended. It's a Wednesday as well, so it rules out Louise and James going as well. Bummer!

Sadly, I think this:
23rd October 2013
The Countess of Wessex

President, Girlguiding, will open the new Residential Lodge, Somermead, Snipefield Lane, Wedmore, Somerset
Patron, the Two Moors Festival, will attend a Festival Concert, at the Cathedral Church of St. Peter, The Cloisters, Exeter, Devon.
President, National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, will visit the Service Centre, Guild Heritage House, Braggs Lane, Old Market, Bristol.
..... rules out Sophie from being a Godmather, as Prince George's christening will take place exactly on that day :sad:

Actually it doesn't. If you look back thru the history of royal christenings, not all the godparents were present. This is a role for life, not just the christening itself.

However, IMO Sophie is unlikely to be a godparent as she isn't very close to the couple.

That is true; sometimes someone stands "by proxy" for the godparent. I would think that anyone who is chosen as George's godparent WILL attend though. It's big press in this day and age.

She is relatively close to the couple. They obviously have other close friends and family, but it is traditional to choose family members and Sophie was a choice by lots of people. Now that she has engagements though, it is unlikely she is one of them.

Sophie and children is a combination that never gets old. Love the photos of Her with S., M, and E. Lump in the throat stuff. Sophie needs to do am engagement with actor Robert Hardy, who also has a special way with special kids. Like tomorrow. I can only imagine the magic and love that would occur..... All those babies, RH will not want to leave. Will start saving tissues. Will need lots.:D

Last edited:

Those pics of Sophie in the NICU always makes me wonder if she ever has moments of remembering when it was Louise in one of incubators and she was one of these beyond terrified Parents when she has a day like this one. I know I have flashbacks to my own medical battles whenever I get a whiff of the hospital disinfectant, so I can only imagine what goes through Sophie's mind when she visits NICUs. OTOH, she's also one of a very few people who can say to these Parents, "I know what you are going through." and it's not her being patronizing. She really does know what they're going through.

Love that she put on that necklace right away. What a moment Sophie gave that little Sweetheart. :)

Those pics of Sophie in the NICU always makes me wonder if she ever has moments of remembering when it was Louise in one of incubators and she was one of these beyond terrified Parents when she has a day like this one. I know I have flashbacks to my own medical battles whenever I get a whiff of the hospital disinfectant, so I can only imagine what goes through Sophie's mind when she visits NICUs. OTOH, she's also one of a very few people who can say to these Parents, "I know what you are going through." and it's not her being patronizing. She really does know what they're going through.

Love that she put on that necklace right away. What a moment Sophie gave that little Sweetheart. :)

She must, and that is what makes her ideal for such visits. She can relate to parents, without being patronizing. She has been there, done that.

Last edited:
Lovely article about Sophie
http://www.mississauga.com/community-story/4130751-lakeview-senior-receives-royal-birthday-card/

Anyone here that subscribes this paper?
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto...e1320605.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2013_09_28
"Edward and Sophie map out future at head of Edinburgh awards"
Because to read full article you have to subscribe.

Mark Skipper ‏@MarkSkipperDL 16h Lovely visit from Earl and Countess of Wessex to Midsummer Night's Dream @northernballet at Woking.

Last edited:

I agree with this completely. Sophie is obviously able to relate to the parents. There was a visit in 2005 when she spoke about remembering Louise in the SCBU (NICU) and how small they look, but then they grow so quickly. I imagine she says similar things anytime she visit SCBU's and speaks to their parents. It's lovely to know that she can relate to them and say that Louise is now coming 10 years old and they grow so quickly you almost forget they were that small.

Thanks for the article link, Anna. What a lovely gesture from Sophie and to have the card signed by herself is lovely as their letters are normally from their ladies-in-waiting. Nice to see them at the ballet as well. I would love to go to the baller as often as they do!

Last edited:
Lovely article about Sophie
Lakeview senior receives royal birthday card

Anyone here that subscribes this paper?
Edward and Sophie map out future at head of Edinburgh awards | The Sunday Times
"Edward and Sophie map out future at head of Edinburgh awards"
Because to read full article you have to subscribe.

Mark Skipper ‏@MarkSkipperDL 16h Lovely visit from Earl and Countess of Wessex to Midsummer Night's Dream @northernballet at Woking.

The birthday card story was lovely. Made the man's day. Any pictures of the ballet? Can I just add, that while I have no doubt that Sophie visits baby units, because she can relate to the parents, she also does it because she is a selfless, loving human being.

Last edited:
Any pictures of the ballet?
Hi, I asked, but as he kindly responded, it was private visit in the morning hours, so no pics. I understand that they need their privacy on some different occasions. So it's a good thing I guess that they didn't take any pics.

It was likely a little date for them. Gotta keep the fire alight! I am jesting of course, but it probably was an afternoon out for them together. I think it's right that no one took any photos. They are lucky enough to have anonymity

I agree with this completely. Sophie is obviously able to relate to the parents. There was a visit in 2005 when she spoke about remembering Louise in the SCBU (NICU) and how small they look, but then they grow so quickly. I imagine she says similar things anytime she visit SCBU's and speaks to their parents. It's lovely to know that she can relate to them and say that Louise is now coming 10 years old and they grow so quickly you almost forget they were that small.

Thanks for the article link, Anna. What a lovely gesture from Sophie and to have the card signed by herself is lovely as their letters are normally from their ladies-in-waiting. Nice to see them at the ballet as well. I would love to go to the baller as often as they do!

SCBU? I know it more than likely means the same as Neo Natal Intensive Care Unit, but first time I've seen the term. Hard to believe it's almost 10 years since that scary night when both Sophie and Louise nearly died. Thank God we'll all be celebrating that day in a month or so instead of marking the Anniversary what could have been a beyond tragic event.

What a wonderful story and gift from Sophie. Loved his reply about why it's not such a bad thing to have lost a leg, but the again, he's also a member of a very special Generation who very much dealt w/it and just got on w/things. They haven't been named The Greatest Generation for nothing. :)

I remember when I heard of Sophie and Louise's emergency it took me back to when my daughter was born at only 30 weeks and 1300g. It's really scary. As far as royals , The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester can also relate: their son Alexander Earl of Ulster was born two months prematurely in 1974 - at a time when such births were far less likely to have good outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom