Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 7: January-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true, there is no written evidence that stipulate this is his intention. I am simply going on rumours written about his intentions.

This is a post by me that is in the Moarchy under Charles thread. Sorry but I dont know how to do a link...

We mentioned on a variety of threads, most notably in recent days the Beatrice and Eugenie trip, about Prince Charles wanting a slim line monarchy. And I've asked where is the evidence.

I found the following today on the Royal Reporter Twitter account of Richard Palmer of the Express.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@jennyg2k The idea of Charles wanting a slimmer monarchy seems based on a 1990s briefing by one spin doctor trying to big him up at the time

2:18 AM - 22 Jan 13 · Details

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter@jennyg2k It may be true Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy but I know of nobody inside the Royal Household who is briefing that

Thanks cepe for your post. I think we will only find this out as years go by and seeing if Charles lets Beatrice and Eugenie perform any duties.

Anna, I am aiming this question at you as I feel you will know! In the photos on Facebook of Sophie at the luncheon, is her bracelet on her left wrist new?

Last edited:
Haha Molly! I saw that bracelet on the first tiny pics, but pics were so tiny that I didn't do any close-ups. Now we have more pics, with a tiny bit better view.
Yes, it is deffinitwly new piece. Maybe it came from the box from the WheelPower’s charity event? I wonder if those bags were Tiffany... But Tiffany for so many people? Or maybe they paid for it. Ehh, any way, it is most likely silver bangle. Tiffany does carry such bangles. But it is only speculation.

JB‏@Royal_beans
HRH Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex is being lined up to become the new chancellor of the University of Bath.

Thanks Icequeen for the images of Edward. I do love his hankerchiefs in his suit jackets. Very dapper. Louise will be set for presents for her dad - funny ties and hankerchiefs!

Dman, what does chancellor of a University actually mean?

Edit: I read about it on the university's website. Now I understand. New Chancellor

Am I the only one who is welcoming the idea of seeing Edward in a graduation/chancellor gown and floppy hat with a tassel?

Last edited:
JB‏@Royal_beans
HRH Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex is being lined up to become the new chancellor of the University of Bath.
I doubt he is willing to give up his royal life and engagements to become the Chancellor of a University. His job would be to oversee the school and it would be incompatible with his royal role.

I doubt he is willing to give up his royal life and engagements to become the Chancellor of a University. His job would be to oversee the school and it would be incompatible with his royal role.

The Chancellor in the UK and other Commonwealth countries is not the same as in the US. The Chancellors role is a ceremonial position not an administrative or academic one and several members of the BRF have held such roles.

The Prince of Wales is Chancellor of The University of Wales.

HRH Princess Anne is currently Chancellor of The University of Edinburgh, she succeded her father in 2011 who had held the position since 1953. Anne is also Chancellor of The University of London succeded her grandmother in 1981.

HRH The Duke of Kent is chancellor of The University of Surrey.

HRH The Duke of Gloucester is chancellor of The University of Worcester.

The Queen is also an official "visitor" an overseer of The University of Bedforshire, The University of Lancaster, Leicester, Belfast and Reading.

Chancellor is a ceremonial head position, the Vice-Chancellor is the guy that runs the show.

I'm confused why aren't there threads for Edward and Sophie's current events separately?

@RoyalReporter: Another royal visit to Northern Ireland. Prince Edward today went to Ardaluin Outdoor Activity Centre in Newcastle, Co Down.

I suppose it's because they don't do enough engagements to deem two separate threads, however Catherine does have her own and Sophie does more than she does.

Thanks for the update, good to see Edward in my home country!

I'm confused why aren't there threads for Edward and Sophie's current events separately?

@RoyalReporter: Another royal visit to Northern Ireland. Prince Edward today went to Ardaluin Outdoor Activity Centre in Newcastle, Co Down.

Absolutely - I'd do more posting if there were two threads. Honestly it confuses me that the dual and two kinds of solo adventures all get lumped together. Replies about him get mixed in with relies about her. Up the Wessex-es!

Countess already had several outings & receptions, but of course none of it, was covered by press. So we can only hope that the event organizers will finally share some pics. However as those were mostly evening receptions, we may see zero of it...

I hope so we haven't seen much of her work lately... I agree

Here are some pics and information about the Earl of Wessex' visit to Northern Ireland on February 12 that has been mentioned above.

Edward visited the 2nd Battalion The Rifles Regiment at Ballykinler Military Base, he re-opened Ardaluin Outdoor Activity Centre, Newcastle and attended a reception at Hillborough Castle for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

** newsletter.co.uk: Edward has active day on visit to Ulster **

** nio.gov.uk: HRH The Earl of Wessex visited Ardaluin Outdoor Activity Centre, Newcastle Co Down **

** nio.gov.uk: HRH The Earl of Wessex attends the launch of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award **

I hope so we haven't seen much of her work lately... I agree

So far she has only carried out engagements on 8 days this year and according to my count a total of 12 engagements. Thus there hasn't been much to report on her doing. 45 days have passed for the CC so far so she has been out and about officially on about 17% of the days of the year.

She will pick up a bit, particularly if they do an overseas tour, which is when her numbers went up last year - if my memory serves me correctly but I can't check my figures as I lost the file when my previous computer crashed.

But she had those engagaments, and those didn't end up being covered by the press.
But Catherine's belly has reached all of them.
To me they keep Sophie and rest of the "lower" royals in the shadow, to keep promoting, especially lately Camilla and Charles, along with Kate, William, and Harry. Rest is simply left...

Thanks Anna!

Sophie's work is never widely reported no matter how busy she is. It's half term this week so I don't think Sophie has any work this week because of the kiddies.

But she had those engagaments, and those didn't end up being covered by the press.
But Catherine's belly has reached all of them.
To me they keep Sophie and rest of the "lower" royals in the shadow, to keep promoting, especially lately Camilla and Charles, along with Kate, William, and Harry. Rest is simply left...

The reason for that is simple - Charles is the heir to the throne followed by William so of course they, and their spouses will be covered. Catherine's baby bump is the third in line to the throne effectively so of course it gets more coverage. In time even Harry will get less coverage as he becomes the minor line (he effectively became a 'minor' royal when the pregnancy was announced and will be completely reduced to minor status once the new baby - a future monarch arrives - when he will just be another royal to fill out the duty roster on occasions - like Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Richard, Brigitte and Edward of Kent do now.

I am good in finding pics, am I ? :)
Lovely big pics from Countess visit to school:
http://www.stlawrenceprimary.co.uk/blog/16
Step BY Step also promised more and better pics from the visit, they will tweet me when they'll have it.

Last edited:
Thank you Anna! Sophie was very welcomed as usual. :)

Tiny is better than none though!

I am looking forward to hopefully seeing Sophie with Philip tomorrow as Sophie is stepping in for the Queen to host MP's with Philip at Buckingham Palace tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Yes, she will attend - tt was confirmed by royal reporters, it was on her itinerary before HM got sick, but because HM will be absent tomorrow there is strong chance they will photograph Sophie. As there should be press coverage.

Yes, Sophie was scheduled to attend but now she is hosting it with Philip as opposed to just attending. :D

I know, it's exciting.
PS Step by Step answered to my question about size of the pics! They even said they will sort it tomorrow :) "Oh dear. Slight technical issue. Will have it sorted tomorrow! Apologies." How great is that!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom