Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 6: July 2011-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading about the eye condition when Lady Louise was a toddler. There was not much information given but there was information about it back then.

Lady Louise is in a position to get some really cool signatures on her cast. Get it signed by Granny, Uncle Charles and cousin William and it'll have been signed by (potentially) three monarchs. It'd probably turn up on Antiques Roadshow many years from now.

You're a true entreprenuer, EIIR! If it does have those signatures, I'm sure either the doctor or nurse who removes the cast will be setting it carefully aside for a nice investment value in the future!;)

I remember reading about the eye condition when Lady Louise was a toddler. There was not much information given but there was information about it back then.

I read about her condition as well and her parents' reluctance to have the procedure done. I'm glad it was performed, but was it actually corrected or just improved it a bit?

Last edited:
Lady Louise is in a position to get some really cool signatures on her cast. Get it signed by Granny, Uncle Charles and cousin William and it'll have been signed by (potentially) three monarchs. It'd probably turn up on Antiques Roadshow many years from now.

hahaha , That’s True and Could Happen after years

Last edited:
You're a true entreprenuer, EIIR! If it does have those signatures, I'm sure either the doctor or nurse who removes the cast will be setting it carefully aside for a nice investment value in the future!;)

I read about her condition as well and her parents' reluctance to have the procedure done. I'm glad it was performed, but was it actually corrected or just improved it a bit?

Improved I believe, I think more surgeries are required. Maybe they're waiting until she's a bit older to see how invasive, if at all, they have to be. When I see pictures I can see the squint.

That was the one thing about that picture of William, Kate and their attendants I was so relieved over when I saw it, as the photographer did such an excellent job of posing Louise in such a manner that it's pretty well disguised she's got an eye that turns out. Very well done indeed.

It's also noticable in the video which bridesmaid is Louise, as you can tell she's walking w/a bit of a back and forth "sway" as the Bridal Procession heads down the aisle. I understood that her one eye being as turned out as it is/was also gave her serious double vision at times and that could be why she walked like that. To make sure she was walking in the right direction and right way.

Thank God her tumble wasn't more serious than a broken arm and she'll be fine. I wonder what colour Louise picked for her cast? :eek:D

Queen's granddaughter Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor breaks arm in horse riding accident | Mail Online

the original daily mail article has been updated, apparently the accident did happen at Windsor and it is believed the Queen will visit Lady Louise at Bagshot Park sometime.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said:'Lady Louise broke her left arm after falling from her pony while riding at Windsor this morning. She has been treated by doctors and is now resting at home

Nice article , Fantastic Picture Of Lady Louise with her grandmother On Horse , Thank you For Posting tommy100 :flowers:

That was the one thing about that picture of William, Kate and their attendants I was so relieved over when I saw it, as the photographer did such an excellent job of posing Louise in such a manner that it's pretty well disguised she's got an eye that turns out. Very well done indeed.

It's also noticable in the video which bridesmaid is Louise, as you can tell she's walking w/a bit of a back and forth "sway" as the Bridal Procession heads down the aisle. I understood that her one eye being as turned out as it is/was also gave her serious double vision at times and that could be why she walked like that. To make sure she was walking in the right direction and right way.

Thank God her tumble wasn't more serious than a broken arm and she'll be fine. I wonder what colour Louise picked for her cast? :eek:D

I also noticed that she tilted her head a lot, in order to use the better eye for viewing. There may also be difficulty in focusing, because at Trooping the Colour, she kept using her hand as a telescope (probably to lessen her field of vision a little bit and see better [strange, I know, but that's what we call 'eccentric viewing' in the education of those who are blind/visually impaired]). My grandmother was able to notice the eye turn right away, probably because she's been dealing with me and my eye troubles for quite a while. Louise's head was also turned a little while walking. From what I've observed, she is able to compensate pretty well.

I'm still amazed that the media makes such a big deal out of an eye condition that on the big scheme of things provides very few limitations. Louise is able to play netball without any goggles or accommodations (or at least according to pictures that Molly2101 was kind enough to share yesterday), so I'm thinking she's doing a lot better than many people realize.

I do hope she will feel better soon, and yes, her cast will probably acquire some cool signatures :D.

Last edited:
Edward and Sophie guard their children's privacy so much that no-one really knows what Louise has had done. even now you can see she has something of a squint/turned eye in pictures, as the Daily Mail said in an article "Louise was born with the rare eye condition exotropia, which means one eye turns outwards and affects her vision". It is reported she underwent an operation of around 30minutes to help correct this so it was not as much as now. The DM also states in another article that
"Louise was born with exotropia, an eye condition that left her with one eye turning outwards.
While corrective surgery was available, her parents were racked with indecision about placing their daughter under anaesthetic, but she has undergone an operation which appears to have resolved the problem."

Read more: How Sophie's become the Queen's favourite | Mail Online

You can read more about the condition Lady Louise has here : Congenital squint can 'come and go' - Telegraph

Thank you for all this good info! I appreciate it

My husband does the hand-as-telescope thing as well. He's very near-sighted and can read and write impossibly small text. He also discovered that the holes in saltine crackers make good "telescopes" as well. Mind you, he wears glasses for driving and watching t.v. :lol::flowers:

There may also be difficulty in focusing, because at Trooping the Colour, she kept using her hand as a telescope (probably to lessen her field of vision a little bit and see better [strange, I know, but that's what we call 'eccentric viewing in the education of those who are blind/visually impaired]).

The main Dutch newssite (NOS) wrote that Lady Louisa broke her arm after falling of her pony.
Poor girl. I hope that she is able to get back up again soon.

Edit: sorry only now saw that it had already been posted. Can't delete my post from my mobile.

Last edited:
My husband does the hand-as-telescope thing as well. He's very near-sighted and can read and write impossibly small text. He also discovered that the holes in saltine crackers make good "telescopes" as well. Mind you, he wears glasses for driving and watching t.v. :lol::flowers:

That really made me laugh :D. I remember trying to use my hand as a telescope, but discovered that for me, it makes everything appear further away and much smaller. It does, however, help with the focusing.

Here's a comparison of press coverage of Lady Louise's riding accident vs. Prince William's golf club accident in 1991.

Lady Louise’s Riding Accident and Popular Perceptions of Royal Parenting | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Very interesting comparison. I find it amusing that the 'parenting expert' was so quick to label Prince Charles as an 'absentee father', when in all reality, no one really knew how involved Charles was with his sons behind the scenes. From what we got from the press at the time, it was obvious that the boys spent a good deal of time with their father, and were enjoying the time with him. I think Charles got so much bad press, because he wasn't as demonstrative with his children as Diana was. However, no one could doubt that there was deep love between the prince and his sons, when days after Diana's death he was seen holding Harry's hand as they went and looked at all the tributes left around Buckingham and Kensington Palaces. The press and public were a bit too harsh with Charles as a father, and their assumption were based on very little information from sources that may not have been all that reliable.

I'm glad no one says anything like this about Edward and Sophie, but I'm sure there are some people out there who think that they're purposely hiding their children and are too overprotective. Also, we don't see Edward being too demonstrative with his children, but the way he looks at Lady Louise tells me all I need to know; he adores his daughter, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

I think William and Louise's accidents can't really be compared especially in terms of press coverage. Charles and Di were all over the media at the time f William's accident and Charles was/is the heir to the throne and William a future King. In contrast Sophie and Ed have little media attention and Louise gets even less media attention. William was hit with a golf club that for awhile was thought could have caused brain damage and required an operation on his head whereas Louise broke her arm which (though painful and of course distressing) was unlikely to cause any long lasting damage like it was thought William's accident might.

Yes, there are certainly significant differences between Prince William's accident in 1991 and Lady's Louise's accident in 2012 but I found it interesting that the press was inclined to accept the fact that Prince Edward checked to make sure she was recovering smoothly then continued with his duties when Prince Charles did not receive any sort of benefit of the doubt when he also visited the hospital then kept his royal engagements. I think this is a positive trend in royal coverage, to wait until all the facts are known before jumping to conclusions. All those absentee father comments from 1991 sound very inaccurate today considering the close relationship between William and Charles.

The press and public were a bit too harsh with Charles as a father, and their assumption were based on very little information from sources that may not have been all that reliable.

I seem to remember (but do not want to look it up, as the book is somewhere stored away) that Morton in his book about Diana claimed that Diana was angry that Charles on times spend more time with the boys than their mother, even slept at night for a while in the children's bedroom after he had brought them to bed instead of going down immediately to Diana. Of course that was Diana's view, as we know today,m but obviously she was envious of Charles' relationship with their sons and influenced the media against him.

Thank you for the article, CarolynHarris. The comparisons between the incidents with William and Lady Louise, and the decision of their respective fathers to go on with their engagements, came to me as well; I'm glad Prince Edward was not labelled "irresponsible" and "absent" father.

I loved Diana, but the image of an absent and uncaring father she imposed (or rather, tried to impose) upon Prince Charles is one of the nastiest things she'd ever done. Prince Charles is a loving father who, like Prince William, has never been comfortable with public displays of affection.

I am glad so many of you are enjoying my article. My website is experiencing record traffic today and much of it is from the royal forums!

What a good little horsewoman Louise is, defending her pony! One of the basic rules in horseriding is to never blame your horse when a mishap occurs, and I'm sure she learned from the best - her granny - in that respect. Secondly, I love the image of Dr. James ministering to his big sister with his toy doctor's kit. And I'm sure HM and Kate will add to the list of impressive signatures that must be on that cast - maybe including the Earl and Countess. I wonder if Lupo will join in with his pawprint!:lol: Thanks for those articles, Molly.

And, CarolynHarris, that's such an interesting article with the comparisons of how the press treated Charles and Edward when their children had their accidents. Charles was pilloried in the press as an absentee, disinterested parent following William's accident and I'm so glad we haven't seen a repeat of that in Edward's case. Because Charles is not demonstrative in public never meant his feelings didn't run deep for his boys. So much of the depth of feeling among the three did show in their photos, however, and it was lovely to see.

Last edited:
That cast is going to appear on some auction at some point in the future if Louise gets all these signatures.

Don't blame my pony, says Lady Louise

Bless her cotton socks. The idea of James attending to his sister is too cute for words.

Louise is also apparently expecting a visit from Catherine and little Lupo. How much we can believe from the papers is debatable.

Lady Louise nurses broken arm.

The Countess of Wessex is back to work again, attending a concert in support of the Surrey housing charity on 14/4/2012.

BBC - Countess of Wessex visits Guildford to support charity.
:previous:
Thank you so much, Molly :flowers:
what a wonderful and wise child is Lady Louise .I just love her more and more :twohearts:, and it's really wonderful to hear, that her younger brother( Doctor James :D :hamster:) take cares of her :lucky::heart1:
JUST LOVELY :heartflower: , hope that soon we can see both of them playing on Royal Windsor Horse Show :)

That cast is going to appear on some auction at some point in the future if Louise gets all these signatures.

Yes, another poster had been ruminating that it could end up on "Antiques Roadshow" in the future. I think the doctor or nurse who removes that cast might be very enterprising and carefully stash it away!

Don't blame my pony, says Lady Louise

Bless her cotton socks. The idea of James attending to his sister is too cute for words.

Louise is also apparently expecting a visit from Catherine and little Lupo. How much we can believe from the papers is debatable.

Lady Louise nurses broken arm.

The Countess of Wessex is back to work again, attending a concert in support of the Surrey housing charity on 14/4/2012.

BBC - Countess of Wessex visits Guildford to support charity.

Molly, as usual, thank you for the wonderful articles :flowers:. I'd love to watch little James take care of his big sister with his toy doctor's kit :D. I can just see Louise resting on the couch, and James coming over with a plastic thermometer every so often to 'take her temperature'. Too cute for words :wub:. I bet she's looking forward to getting a visit from her cousin Catherine and the puppy. Animals can be such comfort when one is not feeling good, and Lupo seems to be just the thing to make her giggle a bit :D. Of course I don't have to say anything about her visit with her Granny. They can talk horses, or whatever else they enjoy chatting about. It is indeed lovely to see Louise standing up for her beloved pony. She strikes me as a child with a very sweet and caring disposition. Her family must be really proud to see that side of her come out.

Adding my thanks as well Molly.:flowers:

Molly, as usual, thank you for the wonderful articles :flowers:. I'd love to watch little James take care of his big sister with his toy doctor's kit :D. I can just see Louise resting on the couch, and James coming over with a plastic thermometer every so often to 'take her temperature'. Too cute for words :wub:. . It is indeed lovely to see Louise standing up for her beloved pony. She strikes me as a child with a very sweet and caring disposition. Her family must be really proud to see that side of her come out.
Too bad these kids were not born in Yorkshire in another era, I know a vet who would have loved their assistance!;):D:lol:

Too bad these kids were not born in Yorkshire in another era, I know a vet who would have loved their assistance!;):D:lol:

I have to say, that as soon as I saw your name underneath the thread title, I knew you were going to mention 'All Creatures Great and Small' :D. I will agree, Siegfried would have loved helping these two out, and making sure that the pony was treated well, and didn't have any sort of emotional trauma, when the fall happened. I'm a firm believer that animals can feel as much as humans, and it would appear that Louise is very close to her pony, so I cannot imagine the poor thing not being effected when his beloved owner got so hurt while riding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom