Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 6: July 2011-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so to cepe, I really do. I would hate to see them disappear! Duke-of-Earl, I love that the Wessex couple are well liked in Canada. They have a Private Secretary and a Lady-in-Waiting in Canada, which I believe is rare as only the Queen and Philip have staff in Canada.

I have never cared for Edward and Sophie.

Kate always had a great deal of criticism (that whole WaityKatie business...yet nothing was said of Sophie when she was waiting around for ages for Edward to propose). I have always seen her as a social-climber, though perhaps I am being unfair. Nevertheless, that is my perception.

As for Edward, he just irritates me! Every time I see him rigged out in uniform with a raft of medals, I wonder why he isn't embarrassed to be seen like that.

I've always thought him rather petulant and arrogant, and my opinion hasn't changed over the years.

I have never cared for Edward and Sophie.

Kate always had a great deal of criticism (that whole WaityKatie business...yet nothing was said of Sophie when she was waiting around for ages for Edward to propose). I have always seen her as a social-climber, though perhaps I am being unfair. Nevertheless, that is my perception.

As for Edward, he just irritates me! Every time I see him rigged out in uniform with a raft of medals, I wonder why he isn't embarrassed to be seen like that.

I've always thought him rather petulant and arrogant, and my opinion hasn't changed over the years.

You obviously have not done your research. There were MANY articles about Sophie waiting for Edward when they were together for 5 years. Many articles claiming that Edward was "waiting for someone else to come along," "Edward is going to dump Sophie" etc. Edward was never as high profile as William, therefore his girlfriend would never have had as much press attention, but there were certainly many articles written. There were articles about Sophie demanding Edward propose or she would leave him, there were articles stating they lived together in Buckingham Palace, which both refused outright and there were articles saying that the Queen had asked Edward "to make up his mind or else."

None of the medals Edward wears are for service. He wears the medals he has received for his mother's Jubilee's (even Sophie has a Golden and Diamond Jubilee Medal) and an honorary medal for a position. He wears the uniforms because he holds the honorary positions. It would be rude of him NOT to wear them at events as his mother gave them to him. I am sure Edward is fully aware he did not see active service, and I for one think it's good that he dropped out when he knew it wasn't for him. It takes a brave man to do that and bare the brunt of a father like Prince Philip.

And how can you call Sophie a social climber and not use the term for any other "common" woman who has married a Prince? They are all the same if that is the term you are using. They all married well above themselves, have all become "Royal" and climbed many social ladders simply by saying "I do" and wearing a flashy ring on their finger.

Last edited:
Sophie may have waited a while for Edward to pop the question but she continued with her career at the same time. They were dating during the years of the War of the Wales's and then the aftermath of Diana's death so not the optimum time for a royal wedding.
Anyway, how long is too long for a couple to be together before marrying? What about too short a time? Someone must have forgotten to give me the rule book.

Last edited:
I agree Molly

Regarding medals - these are the one's Edward wears:

10 March 1977: Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
1990: New Zealand Commemorative Medal
22px-Flag_of_EIIR.svg.png
2 June 2002: Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
7 June 2005: Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan
22px-Flag_of_EIIR.svg.png
2012: Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal

With regards to Edwards military medals and and appointments, in Canada alone Edward has the following appointments
Honorary military appointments

Canada
Source wikipedia Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Part of the problem for Edward and Sophie is that I believe they were planning to announce their engagement about the time of their parents 50th wedding anniversary but...Diana's death interrupted those plans as they didn't want to be seen having a joyous occasion while many were still mourning Diana - particularly the boys as they were then. They then decided to wait until after the first anniversary of her death so that ruled out the summer of 1998 and thus the summer of 1999 was decided upon - and the announcement was made to fit into that time-scale.

As for working when Charles is King - yes Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne will continue to do so but the main representatives of the monarch will be William and Kate with Harry and his wife (assuming he marries) doing more of the high profile stuff such as European royal weddings, major overseas tours and so on while the others step back due to age and distance from the throne.

The medals Edward wears are comparable to those worn by William - he has two - both Jubilee medals and Harry has three - two jubilee medals and one Afghanistan service medal. Strangley many members of the military and other services have the jubilee medals - they are for being in the right place at the right time such as having been in the service for 5 years at the time of a jubilee (or in the case of VC winners who are no longer serving - all living VC winners, regardless of whether they are still in the military or not were given the Jubilee medals in a special ceremony).

Sometimes it is harder to leave a position than it is to stick to it - Edward realised that the marines weren't for him and is criticised for that fact rather than being praised for realising that the military wasn't right and that he needed to take is life in a different direction, despite family expectations and traditions. He has made it easier for younger sons, in particular, to not join the military at all as in previous generations only the sickly were excused e.g. Leopold.

The Jubilee Balcony was actually a tribute to Queen Victoria as much as anything. At her Diamond Jubilee Victoria had only herself, Albert Edward (Edward VII), Alexandra and their children and grandchildren on the balcony - none of her other children. The Queen did the same thing for her Diamond Jubilee as Victoria did for hers - focus on the future line.

Last edited:
Anna, you make this thread worth the visit! Thanks for the images. Where do you find thessseeeee?
THANK YOU!! :flowers:
Literally hours in front of computer screen and instant searching.
I deal with neurosis, and it helps me forget about my troubles, and sooths my nerves. :)
BTW I know he did also pics from 2011 but he must have archived it... Too bad, Sophie was in 2011 as well, as I'm sure on every other year....

Last edited:
Well you are excellent and need to keep looking! :D I love all photos of Sophie, so any is a bonus.

With regards to Edwards military medals and and appointments, in Canada alone Edward has the following appointments
Honorary military appointments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward,_Earl_of_Wessex#Titles.2C_styles.2C_honours_and_arms

Yes, I realize they are strictly honorary.

Nor do I blame him for dropping out of the military if he didn't think it was right for him; I blame him for rigging himself out in a lot of medals and uniforms that he hasn't earned, and that everyone knows he hasn't earned.

(And I can't help wondering whether any of those regiments are truly pleased to have him? )

Nor do I blame him for dropping out of the military if he didn't think it was right for him; I blame him for rigging himself out in a lot of medals and uniforms that he hasn't earned, and that everyone knows he hasn't earned.

(And I can't help wondering whether any of those regiments are truly pleased to have him? )

Do you feel the same way when the Princess Royal appears in military uniform?

Do you feel the same way when the Princess Royal appears in military uniform?

Yes, I do.

I don't like to see anyone in faux uniforms; it is an insult to the people who have earned them, imo.

I understand that many people don't agree, but it is just my pov.

Edward doesn't wear medals he earned. None of his medals are for service... They are Jubilee medals and commemorative medals. Not for any service...

And I am sure his regiments are pleased to have him, just as any regiment is pleased to have a Royal Colonel.

I know people will always feel that way about Edward, and I am glad you said you feel the same about Anne wearing uniforms as people always give Edward grief, but not Anne. They say Edward is lazy and doesn't work, but that is because his engagements are never listed in the articles stating "hard working Royals". Edward works just as hard as his brothers and sisters and Sophie works hard, even though she is technically "part time" (she is supposed to work 3 days a week).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom