Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 6: July 2011-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no youre not alone :)
and i laughed at the idea of being suddenly casual by simply taking your tie off haha

It just made me giggle that he still had his suit on, yet had taken his tie off and unbuttoned his shirt at the top. Royals know how to do casual. Shame we can't see if Sophie went casual too, underneath her huge coat!

Sophie Rhys-Jones, the Countess of Wessex, poses with Nunavut Arctic College nursing students Diane Iyago (left) and Nancy Gordon (right). Sophie visited the students in their classroom Sept 14., where the group enjoyed Arctic tea and bannock. The 29 nursing students were impressed that their royal visitor asked them about their studies. “They found her very easy to talk to,” said program manager Sally Naphan. Sept. 14 marked was the final day of the visit by Sophie and Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, to Iqaluit. You can read more about the highlights of their visit on Nunatsiaqonline.ca

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/533667_10151101622289442_1076098890_n.jpg

Look at Sophie's pretty smile. :D Thank you Mag!

What is annoying me slightly, and will forever annoy me with regards to all the Royal wives, is they keep calling her Sophie Rhys Jones. She has not been that since her wedding day, but whatever. We'll let them off as it constantly happens to Camilla and Catherine as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, love how natural they are. My favourite moment is when they were in the shop and Sophie asked Edward if he needed anything.

Countess of Wessex visiting Niagara | Local | News | St. Catharines Standard

Article from my local newspaper on the Countess of Wessex visit to the Niagara Region in Ontario Canada.

I read the article above and it said something my poor American brain did not understand:
"They will receive the Queen’s Colour, which will replace their existing King’s Colour, and a new regimental colour that will hold the unit’s battle honours. That includes the newly-received Battle Honour Niagara."

What does that mean? Does it mean the regiment has not gotten new flags since Kind George VI? Is the only way to get new regimental flags to have royalty present them in person? I mean, if they get this old, is there no Plan B way to replace the colors from the previous monarch? If they earn battle honours do they never get them if the the royal family never visits? I am sure a DVD message and FedEx would be doable, if allowed.

Can anyone explain this? :ermm:

I believe that is correct. But.....I could be wrong. I know the regiment hasn't had new colours since the 50's but not sure if it was before the Queen. I will look or if someone already knows the answer. On a side note the Lincoln and Welland regiment also received their battle honour Niagara for the role in the War of 1812. How appropriate since it's the Bicenntenial.

I read the article above and it said something my poor American brain did not understand:
"They will receive the Queen’s Colour, which will replace their existing King’s Colour, and a new regimental colour that will hold the unit’s battle honours. That includes the newly-received Battle Honour Niagara."

What does that mean? Does it mean the regiment has not gotten new flags since Kind George VI? Is the only way to get new regimental flags to have royalty present them in person? I mean, if they get this old, is there no Plan B way to replace the colors from the previous monarch? If they earn battle honours do they never get them if the the royal family never visits? I am sure a DVD message and FedEx would be doable, if allowed.

Can anyone explain this? :ermm:

thank you for the videos:flowers: i have to say i don't really like the way he talks with all those filling words he frequently uses. also he always says "thank you very much, very much indeed" or -generally- "indeed", "right" and "excellent". plus, he steadily rubs his hands :ermm: ;) i really really prefer her way of talking

Last edited:
I asked a question about regimental colours and kelly1972 was kind enough to supply some resources to find an answer. That started some research which led me to http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/YORKS_Journal_Edition_9.pdf and now this silly yank understands the presentation of Queens colours to regiments.

Queens and regimental colours are the special flags (One national and one for the regiment) that tell the history of a regiment. Major battles sites of the regiment are usually embroidered onto the queens and or regimental colours. These special flags are ceremonial, with less fancy versions used for everyday.

In general the ceremonial flags only get updated for special reasons. There is quite a lot of cost involved (as the publication I note above explains). Often the event is marked by the attendance of a royal who "presents" the NEW colours. What I also learned form the publication above, is that these ceremonies can be rare or frequent, that there is little set-in-stone tradition to guide the ceremony and that it can be a costly event.

Trooping the Colors in London is the exception - that is done yearly, though the program has seen change, with a gun salute added this year. The ceremony celebrates the Royal Birthday. Read more at Trooping the Colour

Sophie presented the new colours to the Lincoln and Welland Regiment in Niagara. They had not had new colours during the reign of HM Queen Elizabeth. That's a long time to wait. The old colours get retired to the regimental history vault.

Hopefully, this regiment will not see such a long time pass before the next royal visit. They are my new unsung heroes.

Glad I was able to help a bit AdmirerUS. On another side note. The members of the Lincoln and Welland regiment are reservists and have full time jobs yet give their time and lives everyday when called to service. What a distiquished history for them. I'm sure Sophie is very proud of what they do for Canada and for the countries where they serve.:)

Thank you very much to everyone providing links to articles and photos.
The Earl and Countess of Wessex are a lovely couple and make me proud when they grace us with a visit here in Canada.
They are definitely HM's 'go to' couple and always do their roles with a smile.

I have been on holiday in Spain for a week and I feel like I have missed a lot! Thanks Mag for all the article links, it's lovely how welcome Edward and Sophie were made and it's nice to see how much the Canadian's like them. They certainly appear to have made a lot of ties to Canada, and I also like that Edward is the only member of the family, except the Queen of course, to have a Press Secretary in Canada. He does visit quite often.

I love the little gifts of canoes presented to them for Louise and James; it's lovely that the people think of their children as well. Sophie's red dress with the black patch at the back was beautiful, and her black heels she added with it were beautiful. Love the quotes of the little children asking her what it is like to be a Countess and if she lived in castle. Very cute!

I discovered a Facebook gallery of Sophie at the Toronto Film Festival, which I THINK is my favourite images of this tour. DJ Wessex looked hilarious, though I have to say Sophie did have a lot of cleavage on show for that occasion. I am by no means a prude, but I was not sure if it was necessarily appropriate. Either way, Sophie looked beautiful as always.

Countess of Wessex @ Toronto Film Festival 2012.

Another Facebook gallery, this time of Sophie at the Wine College in Niagra. Bonus addition, her father Christopher came along! How cute is that? It's so lovely that Edward allows Sophie's father to be apart of many family events, and it is even lovier that the Queen invites him to Ascot every year and many Boxing Day and New Year celebrations at Sandringham.

The Countess of Wessex visits NC

Christopher Rhys Jones :D

Last edited:

The Earl of Wessex has been in Wales yesterday, September 24 to visit Heronsbridge School, Glamorgan, to attend The Duke of Edinburgh's Award's Institute of Directors Conferece "Leaders of Tomorrow", to attend a service at the Parish Church of St. Thomas, Neath, to attend a reception at the Gwyn Hall, Neath and to open the Amman Valley Community Fire Station.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** itv.com: Church bell handed back to Chile after 150 years **

** walesonline.co.uk: HRH The Earl of Wessex Prince Edward during a visit to Neath **

I just love Prince Edward. He and Sophie have become highly respected and he is starting to look more and more like his dear Mum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom