The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Which lady are you referring to as LIW? The lady in the black top with the ribbon/badge is I believe the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire, Hon Mary Bayliss.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Which lady are you referring to as LIW? The lady in the black top with the ribbon/badge is I believe the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire, Hon Mary Bayliss.
No, not that woman. I am referring to the woman in the black and white print dress with a black sash/belt around her waist. She is is seen in the 1st and 2nd images getting out of the backseat of the car.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
The Countess of Wessex attended Windsor and Eton Operatic Society's performance of "Merrie England" by Sir Edward German at the Court Theatre, Norden Farm, Altwood Road, Maidenhead on 24.4.2012

Image 1 + + Image 3

1st image- Sophie looks so elegant.
3rd image - caption- Sophie is thinking- Hmm, in all the fairytales Iv'e read, the nobleman is suposed to save the Princess from danger, not the other way around! And in case you have not noticed, I'm the Princess here, so youv'e got it backwards!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I just read that Sophie was supposed to pay a visit to Shooting Star House Children's Hospice as Patron of Shooting Star-CHASE today.
Any pics yet?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

The Earl of Wessex was in New York!

Yesterday, April 24, he attended the Films Without Borders launch at the St. Regis Hotel in New York City.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** gettyimages/daylife gallery ** filmswithoutborders.org ** gettyimages **
Thank you for the pictures, iceflower . I wish I knew about this earlier so that I could have gone and gotten some pictures of Edward arriving. Oh well, I'm sure there will be other visits in the future.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Lovely to see Edward support Films Withour Borders. I bet he was tired though as he had just flown into New York. The woman in the dark blue dress is TALL! Lovely images, everybody looks very happy.

The Countess of Wessex attended Windsor and Eton Operatic Society's performance of "Merrie England" by Sir Edward German at the Court Theatre, Norden Farm, Altwood Road, Maidenhead on 24.4.2012

Image 1 + Image 2 + Image 3

Article with further images

Sophie has trousers on! I like this look, it's different. They really suit her, Sophie should wear trousers more often! On a side note, the woman who is seen with Sophie getting out of the backseat of her car, is that another of her Lady's-in-waiting? I thought she only had Sarah, but this woman has been seen with Sophie on several occasions.

Thanks Molly
Amazing pictures and Sophie looks lovely like always .Great outfit and trousers suit to her very good
Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
On a side note, the woman who is seen with Sophie getting out of the backseat of her car, is that another of her Lady's-in-waiting? I thought she only had Sarah, but this woman has been seen with Sophie on several occasions.
Could someone say what the role of the lady-in-waiting is on these outings? I realize I have made assumptions about the role - but I think someone said on another thread that Camilla doesn't have ladies-in-waiting - not sure if that's really true, or was true and has changed - but anyway - what would be their role and what would be the reasons for choosing to have one versus not? (BTW I was never aware that Diana had them, either, though I know the Queen does).

Many thanks for any info anyone can give.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Could someone say what the role of the lady-in-waiting is on these outings? I realize I have made assumptions about the role - but I think someone said on another thread that Camilla doesn't have ladies-in-waiting - not sure if that's really true, or was true and has changed - but anyway - what would be their role and what would be the reasons for choosing to have one versus not? (BTW I was never aware that Diana had them, either, though I know the Queen does).

Diana most definitely had them... her 'Chief Lady in waiting' was Anne Beckwith Smith and is seen in the background of many of her outings. I always thought the role was overflow flower catcher - but Im sure there was more to it than that.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Basically, a lady-in-waiting is a personal assistant and a companion attending to a female member of the Royal Family other than the Queen (women attending the Queen are called Ladies of the Bedchamber, while the most senior one of Mistress of the Robes).
During official outings, a lady-in-waiting may act as an assistant (for example, holding the umbrella and/or bag), as well as an adviser (to fill in the royal in question with necessary facts, remind them names, and similar duties).

Camilla does have a lady-in-waiting although I don't think the name has ever been released. Sophie has one too and, if I'm not mistaken, so does Princess Anne. Aside of them, no other member of the royal family (that I know of) has a lady-in-waiting. The Queen of course has several Ladies of the Bedchamber (permanent and extra ones), and her Mistress of the Robes since 1967 has been Fortune FitzRoy, Duchess of Grafton.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie's Lady-in-Waiting is an old friend of hers, Sarah, but the woman seen with her on Tuesday is not Sarah. This woman, however, has accompanied Sophie a few times in engagements so I was just wondering if she was another Lady-in-Waiting, or just a friend.

I believe Ladies-in-Waiting are not paid and are normally friends of the said Royal, and often do it out of friendship. No doubt the Royal buys them many gifts, and just think of all the free trips they get to go on! Sophie brought Sarah with her all around the Caribbean in February and March.

Are Private Secretaries paid? The Wessex's have one who accompanied them to the Caribbean, and who sent out "Thank You's" on behalf of Edward and Sophie, however Sarah sends out "Thank you's" on behalf of Sophie if the engagement was just Sophie's.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I believe Ladies-in-Waiting are not paid and are normally friends of the said Royal, and often do it out of friendship. No doubt the Royal buys them many gifts, and just think of all the free trips they get to go on! Sophie brought Sarah with her all around the Caribbean in February and March.

Are Private Secretaries paid? The Wessex's have one who accompanied them to the Caribbean, and who sent out "Thank You's" on behalf of Edward and Sophie, however Sarah sends out "Thank you's" on behalf of Sophie if the engagement was just Sophie's.
Traditions differ Ladies-in-waiting from country to country, but as a rule, Ladies-in-waiting are indeed not paid. Technically speaking, ladies-in-waiting are not employees; they are companions who are requested to become ladies-in-waiting (as opposed to being hired). That's one reason why the ladies-in-waiting have traditionally been chosen from wealthy and/or noble families. It has to be said that the royals may choose to reimburse their ladies-in-waiting costs connected with the services; however, it will be a private decision and the money will not come from the "official" expenditures.

Private secretaries, on the other hand, are fully paid. For example, all of the Queen's and Prince Charles' private secretaries are considered employees and as such, receive salaries. It's more or less the same in other Monarchies as well. Another example, one of Princess Mary's former ladies-in-waiting, Caroline Heering, was listed as her private secretary as well; thus, while she did not get paid in her former capacity, Caroline did get paid in her role as Private Secretary to the Crown Princess.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Serene Highness

Just met HRH Prince Edward at a reception here in Philadelphia. Very pleasant man, much smaller than I expected
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Just met HRH Prince Edward at a reception here in Philadelphia. Very pleasant man, much smaller than I expected
Truly? He is said to stand 6 feet (1.83 m). Is he perhaps more lean of build than expected or do you really mean he is shorter than advertised? Curious.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Truly? He is said to stand 6 feet (1.83 m). Is he perhaps more lean of build than expected or do you really mean he is shorter than advertised? Curious.
No more than 5'10" ... perhaps 155 lbs. He has the build of a very, very average man. I attended this event with a friend who met the Prince of Wales when he was in Philadelphia a few years ago. She said that Edward was shorter than Charles.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

He is supposed to be the tallest of the Queens children. It was commented on at his wedding, that one of the benefits of being 6' tall was that fewer people would notice the patch in his thatch.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Interesting info, suztav! I've been surprised myself several times how different royals or celebrities looked "in the flesh" compared to what I had expected or what I had been used to, judging from pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Aside of them, no other member of the royal family (that I know of) has a lady-in-waiting.
Princess Michael of Kent has a lady-in-waiting as well. Emma Kitchener-Fellowes...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
He is supposed to be the tallest of the Queens children. It was commented on at his wedding, that one of the benefits of being 6' tall was that fewer people would notice the patch in his thatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
No more than 5'10" ... perhaps 155 lbs. He has the build of a very, very average man. I attended this event with a friend who met the Prince of Wales when he was in Philadelphia a few years ago. She said that Edward was shorter than Charles.
Well, that is odd, because Charles is suppose to be 5'11" (1.80 m) - Diana was 5'10" (1.78 m) - and Edward is suppose to be 6' (1.83 m). Is it possible that because he is slender he appears shorter? Is Charles more well built so that he would appear taller?

Its hard to find a picture of them side by side but from these pictures it looks like Charles is long in the torso and larger, Edward is short in the torso and leaner but long in the legs -

http://tinyurl.com/6w6vobo

http://tinyurl.com/83tbhv3

This is the closest i could find of them standing near each other and it does appear that Edward is leaning down ever so slightly to give Charles the kiss.

http://tinyurl.com/86r5z8u
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Thank you for the pictures, iceflower . I wish I knew about this earlier so that I could have gone and gotten some pictures of Edward arriving. Oh well, I'm sure there will be other visits in the future.
Oh what a pity....then let's hope for the next chance!

Here are some pics and information about Prince Edward's stay in in Philadelphia on April 26, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** daylife gallery **

** washingtonexaminer.com: Prince Edward arrives in Philly for 2-day visit **

** phillytrib.com: Prince Edward visits Girard College **
Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Administrator

On April 26 the Countess of Wessex was in Salisbury and Swanage.

She officially opened the new hostel for the homeless at Alabaré Place, visited Salisbury Cathedral Girl Choristers,
Salisbury Cathedral School and St. John Ambulance Training Centrein in Salisbury.
As President of Girlguiding United Kingdom Sophie later opened Girlguiding Swanage District Headquarters in the
Ebenezer Chapel in Swanage.

Here are some pics and articles:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

** salisburyjournal.co.uk: Countess makes occasions even more special **

** bournemouthecho.co.uk: Countess of Wessex opens new guiding headquarters in Swanage **
Old 04-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Sophie has always looked magnificent but here is a special radiance about her lately; during all her engagements she looks so genuinely happy!
Then again, she has all reasons to be content; she is a well-loved and hard-working member of the Royal Family, is married to a nice man with two gorgeous children, and looks better than ever.

Closed Thread