The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Majesty

My husband does the hand-as-telescope thing as well. He's very near-sighted and can read and write impossibly small text. He also discovered that the holes in saltine crackers make good "telescopes" as well. Mind you, he wears glasses for driving and watching t.v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
There may also be difficulty in focusing, because at Trooping the Colour, she kept using her hand as a telescope (probably to lessen her field of vision a little bit and see better [strange, I know, but that's what we call 'eccentric viewing in the education of those who are blind/visually impaired]).

Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Courtier

The main Dutch newssite (NOS) wrote that Lady Louisa broke her arm after falling of her pony.
Poor girl. I hope that she is able to get back up again soon.

Edit: sorry only now saw that it had already been posted. Can't delete my post from my mobile.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
My husband does the hand-as-telescope thing as well. He's very near-sighted and can read and write impossibly small text. He also discovered that the holes in saltine crackers make good "telescopes" as well. Mind you, he wears glasses for driving and watching t.v.
That really made me laugh . I remember trying to use my hand as a telescope, but discovered that for me, it makes everything appear further away and much smaller. It does, however, help with the focusing.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Aristocracy

Here's a comparison of press coverage of Lady Louise's riding accident vs. Prince William's golf club accident in 1991.

Lady Louise’s Riding Accident and Popular Perceptions of Royal Parenting | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
Here's a comparison of press coverage of Lady Louise's riding accident vs. Prince William's golf club accident in 1991.

Lady Louise’s Riding Accident and Popular Perceptions of Royal Parenting | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Very interesting comparison. I find it amusing that the 'parenting expert' was so quick to label Prince Charles as an 'absentee father', when in all reality, no one really knew how involved Charles was with his sons behind the scenes. From what we got from the press at the time, it was obvious that the boys spent a good deal of time with their father, and were enjoying the time with him. I think Charles got so much bad press, because he wasn't as demonstrative with his children as Diana was. However, no one could doubt that there was deep love between the prince and his sons, when days after Diana's death he was seen holding Harry's hand as they went and looked at all the tributes left around Buckingham and Kensington Palaces. The press and public were a bit too harsh with Charles as a father, and their assumption were based on very little information from sources that may not have been all that reliable.

I'm glad no one says anything like this about Edward and Sophie, but I'm sure there are some people out there who think that they're purposely hiding their children and are too overprotective. Also, we don't see Edward being too demonstrative with his children, but the way he looks at Lady Louise tells me all I need to know; he adores his daughter, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Courtier

Hope she recovers soon.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Serene Highness

I think William and Louise's accidents can't really be compared especially in terms of press coverage. Charles and Di were all over the media at the time f William's accident and Charles was/is the heir to the throne and William a future King. In contrast Sophie and Ed have little media attention and Louise gets even less media attention. William was hit with a golf club that for awhile was thought could have caused brain damage and required an operation on his head whereas Louise broke her arm which (though painful and of course distressing) was unlikely to cause any long lasting damage like it was thought William's accident might.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, there are certainly significant differences between Prince William's accident in 1991 and Lady's Louise's accident in 2012 but I found it interesting that the press was inclined to accept the fact that Prince Edward checked to make sure she was recovering smoothly then continued with his duties when Prince Charles did not receive any sort of benefit of the doubt when he also visited the hospital then kept his royal engagements. I think this is a positive trend in royal coverage, to wait until all the facts are known before jumping to conclusions. All those absentee father comments from 1991 sound very inaccurate today considering the close relationship between William and Charles.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The press and public were a bit too harsh with Charles as a father, and their assumption were based on very little information from sources that may not have been all that reliable.
I seem to remember (but do not want to look it up, as the book is somewhere stored away) that Morton in his book about Diana claimed that Diana was angry that Charles on times spend more time with the boys than their mother, even slept at night for a while in the children's bedroom after he had brought them to bed instead of going down immediately to Diana. Of course that was Diana's view, as we know today,m but obviously she was envious of Charles' relationship with their sons and influenced the media against him.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thank you for the article, CarolynHarris. The comparisons between the incidents with William and Lady Louise, and the decision of their respective fathers to go on with their engagements, came to me as well; I'm glad Prince Edward was not labelled "irresponsible" and "absent" father.

I loved Diana, but the image of an absent and uncaring father she imposed (or rather, tried to impose) upon Prince Charles is one of the nastiest things she'd ever done. Prince Charles is a loving father who, like Prince William, has never been comfortable with public displays of affection.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Aristocracy

I am glad so many of you are enjoying my article. My website is experiencing record traffic today and much of it is from the royal forums!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't blame my pony, says Lady Louise

Bless her cotton socks. The idea of James attending to his sister is too cute for words.

Louise is also apparently expecting a visit from Catherine and little Lupo. How much we can believe from the papers is debatable.

Lady Louise nurses broken arm.

The Countess of Wessex is back to work again, attending a concert in support of the Surrey housing charity on 14/4/2012.

BBC - Countess of Wessex visits Guildford to support charity.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

What a good little horsewoman Louise is, defending her pony! One of the basic rules in horseriding is to never blame your horse when a mishap occurs, and I'm sure she learned from the best - her granny - in that respect. Secondly, I love the image of Dr. James ministering to his big sister with his toy doctor's kit. And I'm sure HM and Kate will add to the list of impressive signatures that must be on that cast - maybe including the Earl and Countess. I wonder if Lupo will join in with his pawprint! Thanks for those articles, Molly.

And, CarolynHarris, that's such an interesting article with the comparisons of how the press treated Charles and Edward when their children had their accidents. Charles was pilloried in the press as an absentee, disinterested parent following William's accident and I'm so glad we haven't seen a repeat of that in Edward's case. Because Charles is not demonstrative in public never meant his feelings didn't run deep for his boys. So much of the depth of feeling among the three did show in their photos, however, and it was lovely to see.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

That cast is going to appear on some auction at some point in the future if Louise gets all these signatures.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post

Bless her cotton socks. The idea of James attending to his sister is too cute for words.

Louise is also apparently expecting a visit from Catherine and little Lupo. How much we can believe from the papers is debatable.

The Countess of Wessex is back to work again, attending a concert in support of the Surrey housing charity on 14/4/2012.

Thank you so much, Molly
what a wonderful and wise child is Lady Louise .I just love her more and more , and it's really wonderful to hear, that her younger brother( Doctor James ) take cares of her
JUST LOVELY , hope that soon we can see both of them playing on Royal Windsor Horse Show
Old 04-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That cast is going to appear on some auction at some point in the future if Louise gets all these signatures.
Yes, another poster had been ruminating that it could end up on "Antiques Roadshow" in the future. I think the doctor or nurse who removes that cast might be very enterprising and carefully stash it away!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Molly, as usual, thank you for the wonderful articles . I'd love to watch little James take care of his big sister with his toy doctor's kit . I can just see Louise resting on the couch, and James coming over with a plastic thermometer every so often to 'take her temperature'. Too cute for words . I bet she's looking forward to getting a visit from her cousin Catherine and the puppy. Animals can be such comfort when one is not feeling good, and Lupo seems to be just the thing to make her giggle a bit . Of course I don't have to say anything about her visit with her Granny. They can talk horses, or whatever else they enjoy chatting about. It is indeed lovely to see Louise standing up for her beloved pony. She strikes me as a child with a very sweet and caring disposition. Her family must be really proud to see that side of her come out.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Adding my thanks as well Molly.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Molly, as usual, thank you for the wonderful articles . I'd love to watch little James take care of his big sister with his toy doctor's kit . I can just see Louise resting on the couch, and James coming over with a plastic thermometer every so often to 'take her temperature'. Too cute for words . . It is indeed lovely to see Louise standing up for her beloved pony. She strikes me as a child with a very sweet and caring disposition. Her family must be really proud to see that side of her come out.
Too bad these kids were not born in Yorkshire in another era, I know a vet who would have loved their assistance!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Too bad these kids were not born in Yorkshire in another era, I know a vet who would have loved their assistance!
I have to say, that as soon as I saw your name underneath the thread title, I knew you were going to mention 'All Creatures Great and Small' . I will agree, Siegfried would have loved helping these two out, and making sure that the pony was treated well, and didn't have any sort of emotional trauma, when the fall happened. I'm a firm believer that animals can feel as much as humans, and it would appear that Louise is very close to her pony, so I cannot imagine the poor thing not being effected when his beloved owner got so hurt while riding him.

Closed Thread