Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
UKCountessofWessexArms.jpg

Coat of Arms of HRH The Countess of Wessex

Welcome to the Earl and Countess of Wessex, Lady Louise and Viscount Severn current events thread
part 12

commencing October 2009

part 11, covering the period August 2008 to October 2009, can be found http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...current-events-11-august-2008-a-18143-27.html

Last edited:
Pics 11.10.2009

Indian Olympic Association (IOA) President Suresh Kalmadi shows
Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, the Commonwealth Games Stadium
in New Delhi on October 11, 2009.
Edward inspected four games venues and facilities as concerns mount
over the city's troubled preparations. A leaked letter from the Games
Federation Chief Michael Fennell last month warned the Indian capital
that delays and poor planning posed a 'serious risk' to one of the world's
biggest sporting events due to be held in one year.

More information about Prince Edward's visit to New Dehli can be found
on the last page of the previous thread.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Pics 12.10.2009

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, arrives for the Commonwealth Games
Federation General Assembly in New Delhi on October 12, 2009.

The four-yearly Commonwealth Games, featuring 71 teams from
Commonwealth countries, are due to be held in the Indian capital
from October 3-14, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

The Countess is my absolute favourite Royal lady. She seems so dedicated and interested in her duties.
She also looks so regal and elegant. I adore her!

Pics 15.10.2009

Thanks for the nice pics from yesterday, giov! :)

Sophie, Countess of Wessex visits 'Fanny's Farm', Surrey,
Britain - October 15, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

She looks gorgeous. Love the blue suit!

Sophie and the Queen are my favourites among the women.:flowers:

The Countess is my absolute favourite Royal lady. She seems so dedicated and interested in her duties.
She also looks so regal and elegant. I adore her!

I agree Sophie is one of my favourites also. Loved the last two days posts but wish she would get some new handbags for public duties the last bag was a bit too out of place for a day appearance. But I do think she is terrific.

PRINCE Edward had a busy day of meeting, greeting and plaque unveilings when he visited the Salisbury area yesterday.
The Earl of Wessex started his day at Salisbury District Hospital to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Duke of Cornwall spinal treatment centre.

Prince Edward visits Salisbury (From Salisbury Journal)

A rare piece of news from the local area. :flowers:

Pics 28.10.2009

HRH, The Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward walks with students during
a visit to St Mary's Cathedral College on October 28, 2009 in Sydney,
Australia.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gettyimages **

Thanks a lot for that video link, RoyalistRiley! I've enjoyed
seeing him in the interview.

HRH, The Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward arrives at the Sydney
Opera House during the official welcome reception of the Duke
of Edinburgh International Forum on October 28, 2009 in Sydney,
Australia.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages **

Prince Edward's tour seems to be a real success!

Prince Edward's tour seems to be a real success!

There is virtually no coverage of it here.

I have seen nothing at all so didn't even know he was here until I read it on this board.

Neither did I.

ETA Just found this article. http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/prince-edward-praises-young-aussies-20091027-hiul.html

I like this bit:

"(Lily Batterham) said she had never met a member of the royal family before but thought Prince Edward had "a great sense of humour".
While the group was having photographs taken she said the prince had passed on a tip for dealing with photographers.
"He said, 'If you stand still long enough eventually they'll stop clicking'," Ms Batterham said."

We have done a search of all UK online papers and there is no mention of the visit. A small section on Sky but that seems to be it for the UK. I found the arrival story reprinted in a few Aussie papers, (they might have been the same one each time).:flowers:

Prince Edward really seems have the best qualities of both the Queen and Prince Philliip- what luck.....liked the video.

Yep, it was barely covered. But the little press it got was positive. :)
Unfortunately Edward has inherited the Queen and Duke's worst attributes as well. I really expect him to have the stupid politically incorrect remarks soon, simply because he has an odd sense of humour and many people simply don't get it, probably because it isn't funny at all. And he is very proper like the Queen,although I have been told that Sophie has helped him with that quiet a bit.

The Earl of Wessex's visit to Australia was today embroiled in controversy after he suggested that the death of a Sydney schoolboy taking part in a Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme could help recruit more young people to the programme.
The 45-year-old prince, on a week-long trip to Australia to commemorate 50 years of the scheme in the Antipodes, told The Australian newspaper that it remains popular because it offers the possibility of serious danger and even death

Prince Edward courts controversy with gaffe over death of boy on father's scheme - Times Online

:eek::eek::eek:

:previous::previous:
Something I never would have expected from the Earl. Thats not good for him. :eek::eek::ermm::ermm:

Uh Thats unexpected and odd seems off the mark from his usual statements IMO.

That was a very insensitive and stupid comment. And I don't think it can be compared with any of Prince Philip's comments - they tend to be witty, ironic, funny, maybe slightly tactless, but Edward's comment (and on a case he admitted to have no knowledge of) is just so very imprudent.

However - it is true - certainly at my school many young people have taken up the scheme because of the boy's death and therefore the chance for adventure and danger the award scheme offers.

Before the death we would get about 10 kids a year now we get close to 30 starting bronze annually. We have been running the scheme for nearly 20 years and since this death we have had a definite increase in the numbers doing the award and the numbers moving through to gold before leaving school.

It was an insensitive remark however truthful it may seem. The death was some of the 'best' publicity for the scheme in the sense that it made many more young people aware of the scheme.

I imagine he was misquoted or misunderstood. The Prince wouldn't be that callous. Another example of the media trying to undermine the Royal family.

I imagine he was misquoted or misunderstood. The Prince wouldn't be that callous. Another example of the media trying to undermine the Royal family.
The article seems to be accurate, unless you are looking through rose coloured glasses!:whistling:

Just trying to be positive Skydragon. You should try it! It makes life so much sweeter...x
when one reads the Prince's quote in its contexthe wasn't being callous or trivialising the death of the poor boy but merely making an observation on the impact of the tragedy on the D of E award.
I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom