The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Wow finally she gets some form of order.
Sophie received the Royal Family Order in 2004. That's not something to be sneezed at as it's rather exclusive (and glittering with diamonds).
The GCVO must have made a nice present to Sophie from HM - the announcement was made on her 45th birthday, 20 January.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
... [snipped] Sophie is also a Dame of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, making her the most honored of any of HM's daughters in law.
That is really really great. Who gives the Order of St. John of Jerusalem? If Her Majesty does, it might be fair to presume that she wanted to emphasise Coutness of Wessex's special place among the daughters-in-law.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with Al Bina here. Nice post! I had heard that Sophie was going to receive the Royal Victorian Order sooner or later and now I'm so happy for her. Congratulations!!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
That is really really great. Who gives the Order of St. John of Jerusalem? If Her Majesty does, it might be fair to presume that she wanted to emphasise Coutness of Wessex's special place among the daughters-in-law.
The Queen does give out the Order of St. John as well. But it is unfair to assume that Sophie has been placed above the other daughters in law, simply because she was honoured in such ways and they were not.
Diana and Sarah would have received the same honours if they had been around longer. Diana would have received more the garter and foreign orders.
I am glad Sophie has a new shiny ribbon to wear at state occasions, but essentially it means nothing.
This is as far up that particular social ladder Sophie can climb. I don't think that a lady born as a commoner who wasn't queen or princess of Wales has ever received the order of the garter. It would be great and a truly deserving honor, but it wouldn't ever happen.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Sophie received the Royal Family Order in 2004. That's not something to be sneezed at as it's rather exclusive (and glittering with diamonds).
The GCVO must have made a nice present to Sophie from HM - the announcement was made on her 45th birthday, 20 January.
Ahh I didn't know that. But the GCVO is a wonderful award.
She is said to be the favourite.
She's been married for 10 years, she deserves this.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
...But it is unfair to assume that Sophie has been placed above the other daughters in law, simply because she was honoured in such ways and they were not.
I'm sorry but I disagree. I think it means a lot. Besides there are so many other facts/gestures/indications that prove QE's favourite daughter-in-law is Sophie. I'll stop here, because I'm afraid we're going off topic.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
...I don't think that a lady born as a commoner who wasn't queen or princess of Wales has ever received the order of the garter.
Mrs Thatcher was born a commoner but most certainly has the Garter. Another non-royal, although noble lady with the Garter was Lavinia, Duchess of Norfolk and Mary Soames. These three have/had the Garter in their own right not because that are royal ladies, which is the case for all other lady members.

Sophie has been married for 10 years and has received this honour.

Diana was married for 15 years and never received it. Even at the 10 year point she was still married and not separated but again didn't receive it.

This honour says a lot about how highly the Queen regards Sophie and also shows that she regards Sophie more highly than either Diana or Sarah (but, as Sarah's marriage only lasted 7 years I can see why she didn't get it) but that Diana didn't get the award makes it very clear that the Queen didn't regard her as highly as Sophie at the 10 year mark of the marriage.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Majesty

IMO, it must have been clear to HM from relatively early on that Diana's marriage was not on a strong footing, and the likelihood of her staying the course was suspect.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Majesty

HM might have been like many mothers of sons with unhappy marriages: expecting the worst while hoping for the best.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

In other words Sophie is the 'least worst' among HM's daughters-in-law? I'm not sure whether I can agree with this. Sophie leads a totally blameless life. Can anyone question this?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Courtier

The Queen has rewarded Sophie with the GVCO, the highest ranking of the order.

I don't have any problem that she is HM's favourite D in L.

Except for the 'sheik' incident, she's served the RF and her country very well -

- provided an heir to the Edinburgh dukedom
- ten years married to Edward, who IMO could be quite a prat at times
- she's really back into the work load now, and is very well received and liked where ever she goes
- doesn't grab the largest of the tiaras out of the vault
- spends the most days with HM at Sandringham, doesn't just arrive on Xmas eve and leave on Boxing Day

There must be additions to this list
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Regularly visits the Queen at Windsor and has the Queen and Philip visit Bagshot as well.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Majesty

No, that's not what I meant. I was answering another poster's comment that perhaps HM knew as early as the late 80s that Diana wouldn't stay the course and so didn't give her the Order which Sophie has received. IOW The Queen has higher esteem for Sophie than she did for Diana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
In other words Sophie is the 'least worst' among HM's daughters-in-law? I'm not sure whether I can agree with this. Sophie leads a totally blameless life. Can anyone question this?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator

I think its unfair to compare the Queen's daughter in laws. Both Sophie and Camilla have the advantage of coming after Sarah and Diana so they what NOT TO DO. Also, it is possible that the Queen and Sophie's personalities just click together and they have a good relationship.

Its worth noting that Sophie received the GVCO after ten years of marriage, at the same time period Sarah was gone and Diana had made a couple of foolish PR moves. She wasn't going to get one. In regards to Camilla, Sophie had the advantage of coming into her marriage with none of Camilla's history and her personal relationship with the Queen has a longer back story than Camillas. After Camilla has been married for ten years, then I think it would fair to have this discussion.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
No, that's not what I meant. I was answering another poster's comment that perhaps HM knew as early as the late 80s that Diana wouldn't stay the course and so didn't give her the Order which Sophie has received. IOW The Queen has higher esteem for Sophie than she did for Diana.
Allright, thank you for the explanation then! I'm sorry, it's obvious that I misunderstood what you said.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Countess salutes soldiers at Pirbright parade - News - getsurrey

The Countess of Wessex braved the cold and the rain to congratulate new soldiers passing out from training at Pirbright barracks last week.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

The above report contains a revealing snippet about communication between Sophie and HM...

Addressing the 62 recruits...the Countess said: "When I tell the Queen about today’s parade I will tell Her Majesty that the standards achieved by her young soldiers
are as high as they ever were.
"
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

You're right Warren. This was noteworthy - but I think the Countess just wanted to encourage them. Meaning: be sure the Queen cares about you and would love to hear today's news. At least this is the way I saw it.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

All those parade photos are lovely Sophie is really good at her job IMO low profile just gets on good for her.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, has been in Suffolk today,
February 9, 2010.
She opened the 'Go Barmy Barn' for children at Easton Farm Park,
she visited DanceEast, the Jerwood Dance House as well as the
Thomas Wolsey School.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** article: Countess of Wessex tours Suffolk **