The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Majesty

I think as a relatively minor royal, a lot of Sophie's engagements does not attract coverage from the national press. It may attract some attention from regional and local press, but as those businesses get squeezed, I suspect their coverage is more focussed

Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Pics 1.12.2009

Yesterday, December 1st, Sophie officially opened the Middleton
Arena in Middleton, Manchester. She unveilled a commemorative
plaque at the £15 million sports and entertainment centre and
enjoyed a tour of the arena. Here are some nice pics:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Majesty

It is always a pleasure to see Countess of Wessex carrying out engagements. Children feel completely at ease interacting with Countess of Wessex.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:21 AM
Administrator

I think it's the good mixture of the amired royal lady and
the lovely aunt that attracts the children

The Earl of Wessex, Royal Colonel, 2nd Battalion The Rifles,
attended a Service of Remembrance and Thanksgiving to
remember troops from the Northern Ireland-based 19 Light
Brigade killed in the war in Afghanistan, in St. Anne’s Cathedral,
Belfast, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant
of the County Borough of Belfast (Dame Mary Peters), December
2, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **
Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Aristocracy

I often wonder whether the Earl of Wessex feels entirely comfortable in uniform as a Colonel! I am always surprised that he agreed to accept military appointments as such, in light of his resignation from the Marines! I am not criticizing him personally, but often muse how he may feel about his 'honorary' status in military matters.

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post
I often wander whether the Earl of Wessex feels entirely comfortable in uniform as a Colonel! I am always surprised that he agreed to accept military appointments as such, in light of his resignation from the Marines! I am not criticizing him personally, but often muse how he may feel about his 'honorary' status in military matters.
I know what you mean; I've wondered the same thing. I think it's a bit of a double standard, considering that most royal ladies who hold honorary appointments never served in the military either. But it's different for the men, isn't it? (I'm thinking of instances where Edward would have to appear in military uniform but his wife would only have to wear a pin/insignia on her outfit.) In any case, he was not suited for a military career so I hope he looks on these appointments as a way to honor those who are.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Aristocracy

Too true....beautifully put Windsorgirl!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Majesty

I'm fairly sure that this is the way that members of the Royal Family see their honourary military appointments. In Edward's case, I'd guess that he's very much aware of all the criticism that he got for leaving the Royal Marines. Sometimes I wonder how he would have gotten along had he trained for one of the other services, because the Marine training is supposed to be the toughest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
In any case, he was not suited for a military career so I hope he looks on these appointments as a way to honor those who are.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm fairly sure that this is the way that members of the Royal Family see their honorary military appointments. In Edward's case, I'd guess that he's very much aware of all the criticism that he got for leaving the Royal Marines. Sometimes I wonder how he would have gotten along had he trained for one of the other services, because the Marine training is supposed to be the toughest.
The only difference would be that Edward's route into the Marines changed him. If he was in the army or the air force he could have gone straight in from gap year and he would probably still be there now.

Personally and I know that I will be corrected on this. Edward took the wrong route into the Marines. He took a programme that allow prospective officers to attend university and train during weekends and vacations to be Marines. Now that is a difficult programme to follow for anyone but it was a near impossibility for a royal.
Edward's first year saw him participating in more extramural activities (you'll remember that he was still completing his gold Edinburgh Award) so he was doing rugby, royal tennis and drama. He was also collected money for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and undertaking royal engagements. Then on weekends and holidays the marines took over and he would skip for royal duties.
In his third year he was in charge of the Rag Week which collect money for charity. He had dropped rugby by now, but the rest of his schedule was the same. So that by the time he had passed his degree no one - notably his professors at Cambridge were surprised that he didn't do better. I am told that he simply wanted to cram as much into his time at uni as possible.
So by the time he reported to the Royal Marines he had spend three years of weekends and holidays with him. He already had passed the physical requirements, it was simply the course work for officers and then he would have gotten his commission. But by now he knew that the marines was not for him. His answer from the day he left the marines till today remains that at 17 when he joined up he was absolutely committed to the marines, at 21 he was no longer that person.

Millions of people around the world have left the armed services, they are not cowards or anything else for this. Just as simply as the billions of us that have never thought of been in the military are not. But it is generally thought that there is a conscription imposed on royal males close to the throne, I can believe that, and I am glad Edward rebelled against it.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Commoner

I was surprised to read that he resigned his commission before graduation. I suppose he had no choice as if he had graduated, he would have had to sign on for however many years. Can't help but wonder why he didn't switch to another job in the forces like William and Harry did. I think it will always be a blot on him.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Majesty

What you say makes a great deal of sense, Claire. A person is quite different at 21 than he or she is at 17. Personally, I am bothered by the way that Edward's behaviour during his 20s is still used against him. I believe that he has tried to serve his country and the Commonwealth, and perhaps his efforts will be better recognized someday--though hopefully not just at his funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The only difference would be that Edward's route into the Marines changed him. If he was in the army or the air force he could have gone straight in from gap year and he would probably still be there now.

Millions of people around the world have left the armed services, they are not cowards or anything else for this. Just as simply as the billions of us that have never thought of been in the military are not. But it is generally thought that there is a conscription imposed on royal males close to the throne, I can believe that, and I am glad Edward rebelled against it.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Unfortunately I think that the British people don't see any use in most of the royals and no longer actually recognise the work that they do.

I don't see the monarchy lasting past Charles due to the lack of respect that the public have for the individuals which I think is rather unfair as all of them have served the Queen and country to the best of their ability.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

I think that Prince Edward does look a bit ridiculous in military uniform as, I think, does the Duke of Gloucester. They are the only Royal men who havn't had a military career so when they put on all the regalia IMO they just look silly. I think Edward is even worse because he seems to adorn his uniforms with every bit of decoration going. I am referring to that gold rope thing over his right shoulder. Wearing this seems to be optional as neither the DOG nor Prince Michael put it on their uniforms even though as Colonol-in-Chiefs of regiments they could but Edward wears the lot and bearing in mind his history it all looks very OTT.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I think that Prince Edward does look a bit ridiculous in military uniform as, I think, does the Duke of Gloucester. They are the only Royal men who havn't had a military career so when they put on all the regalia IMO they just look silly. I think Edward is even worse because he seems to adorn his uniforms with every bit of decoration going. I am referring to that gold rope thing over his right shoulder. Wearing this seems to be optional as neither the DOG nor Prince Michael put it on their uniforms even though as Colonol-in-Chiefs of regiments they could but Edward wears the lot and bearing in mind his history it all looks very OTT.

It depends on the regiment and service as to what the uniform is and it usually isn't optional.

The gold rope thing as you call it is part of the uniform of the unit for the rank (even though honourary) that he holds and to not wear it would mean that he is incorrectly dressed just as for the others wearing it at times would be incorrect.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

Well I have noticed that the DOG and Prince Michael never wear it no matter what uniform they are wearing be it naval, air force, army etc whilst other Royals who hold the same rank as them in these services do so it does appear to be optional.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Well I have noticed that the DOG and Prince Michael never wear it no matter what uniform they are wearing be it naval, air force, army etc whilst other Royals who hold the same rank as them in these services do so it does appear to be optional.

It isn't only related to the rank but also to the unit. For instance a general in one unit might have it as part of the uniform but not the general in another uniform.

That is crucial. If it is part of the uniform then it needs to be worn.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Majesty

Edward has struggled to get public approval, and I guess had a pretty bad run in the Press till he married Sophie. I think Sophie has helped considerably in helping rehabilitate Edward, but I think he still has ground to cover. I think he should further attach himself to a few causes, including the DoE scheme and the WWF.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Courtier

Edward doesn't have anything to do with the WWF.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

ANERLEY: Prince Edward joins Stewart Fleming Primary celebrations

Quote:
YOUNGSTERS in Anerley enjoyed a royal visit from the Earl of Wessex to mark their school’s 70th anniversary.
ANERLEY: Prince Edward joins Stewart Fleming Primary celebrations (From This Is Local London)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Countess of Wessex opens Avenue School

Quote:
HRH The Countess of Wessex officially opened The Avenue Centre and School this morning.
Countess of Wessex opens Avenue School - Education - News - getreading - Reading Post

Closed Thread