Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow finally she gets some form of order. :)
Sophie received the Royal Family Order in 2004. That's not something to be sneezed at as it's rather exclusive (and glittering with diamonds).
The GCVO must have made a nice present to Sophie from HM - the announcement was made on her 45th birthday, 20 January.

Last edited:
... [snipped] Sophie is also a Dame of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, making her the most honored of any of HM's daughters in law.
That is really really great. Who gives the Order of St. John of Jerusalem? If Her Majesty does, it might be fair to presume that she wanted to emphasise Coutness of Wessex's special place among the daughters-in-law.

I agree with Al Bina here. Nice post! I had heard that Sophie was going to receive the Royal Victorian Order sooner or later and now I'm so happy for her. Congratulations!!

That is really really great. Who gives the Order of St. John of Jerusalem? If Her Majesty does, it might be fair to presume that she wanted to emphasise Coutness of Wessex's special place among the daughters-in-law.

The Queen does give out the Order of St. John as well. But it is unfair to assume that Sophie has been placed above the other daughters in law, simply because she was honoured in such ways and they were not.
Diana and Sarah would have received the same honours if they had been around longer. Diana would have received more the garter and foreign orders.
I am glad Sophie has a new shiny ribbon to wear at state occasions, but essentially it means nothing.
This is as far up that particular social ladder Sophie can climb. I don't think that a lady born as a commoner who wasn't queen or princess of Wales has ever received the order of the garter. It would be great and a truly deserving honor, but it wouldn't ever happen.

Sophie received the Royal Family Order in 2004. That's not something to be sneezed at as it's rather exclusive (and glittering with diamonds).
The GCVO must have made a nice present to Sophie from HM - the announcement was made on her 45th birthday, 20 January.
Ahh I didn't know that. But the GCVO is a wonderful award. :)
She is said to be the favourite. :flowers:
She's been married for 10 years, she deserves this.

Last edited by a moderator:
...But it is unfair to assume that Sophie has been placed above the other daughters in law, simply because she was honoured in such ways and they were not.
I'm sorry but I disagree. I think it means a lot. Besides there are so many other facts/gestures/indications that prove QE's favourite daughter-in-law is Sophie.:flowers: I'll stop here, because I'm afraid we're going off topic.

...I don't think that a lady born as a commoner who wasn't queen or princess of Wales has ever received the order of the garter.
Mrs Thatcher was born a commoner but most certainly has the Garter. Another non-royal, although noble lady with the Garter was Lavinia, Duchess of Norfolk and Mary Soames. These three have/had the Garter in their own right not because that are royal ladies, which is the case for all other lady members.

Sophie has been married for 10 years and has received this honour.

Diana was married for 15 years and never received it. Even at the 10 year point she was still married and not separated but again didn't receive it.

This honour says a lot about how highly the Queen regards Sophie and also shows that she regards Sophie more highly than either Diana or Sarah (but, as Sarah's marriage only lasted 7 years I can see why she didn't get it) but that Diana didn't get the award makes it very clear that the Queen didn't regard her as highly as Sophie at the 10 year mark of the marriage.

IMO, it must have been clear to HM from relatively early on that Diana's marriage was not on a strong footing, and the likelihood of her staying the course was suspect.

HM might have been like many mothers of sons with unhappy marriages: expecting the worst while hoping for the best.:ermm:

In other words Sophie is the 'least worst' among HM's daughters-in-law? :blink: I'm not sure whether I can agree with this. Sophie leads a totally blameless life. Can anyone question this? :rolleyes:

The Queen has rewarded Sophie with the GVCO, the highest ranking of the order.

I don't have any problem that she is HM's favourite D in L.

Except for the 'sheik' incident, she's served the RF and her country very well -

- provided an heir to the Edinburgh dukedom
- ten years married to Edward, who IMO could be quite a prat at times
- she's really back into the work load now, and is very well received and liked where ever she goes
- doesn't grab the largest of the tiaras out of the vault
- spends the most days with HM at Sandringham, doesn't just arrive on Xmas eve and leave on Boxing Day

There must be additions to this list

Regularly visits the Queen at Windsor and has the Queen and Philip visit Bagshot as well.

No, that's not what I meant. I was answering another poster's comment that perhaps HM knew as early as the late 80s that Diana wouldn't stay the course and so didn't give her the Order which Sophie has received. IOW The Queen has higher esteem for Sophie than she did for Diana. :flowers:

In other words Sophie is the 'least worst' among HM's daughters-in-law? :blink: I'm not sure whether I can agree with this. Sophie leads a totally blameless life. Can anyone question this? :rolleyes:

I think its unfair to compare the Queen's daughter in laws. Both Sophie and Camilla have the advantage of coming after Sarah and Diana so they what NOT TO DO. Also, it is possible that the Queen and Sophie's personalities just click together and they have a good relationship.

Its worth noting that Sophie received the GVCO after ten years of marriage, at the same time period Sarah was gone and Diana had made a couple of foolish PR moves. She wasn't going to get one. In regards to Camilla, Sophie had the advantage of coming into her marriage with none of Camilla's history and her personal relationship with the Queen has a longer back story than Camillas. After Camilla has been married for ten years, then I think it would fair to have this discussion.

Last edited:
No, that's not what I meant. I was answering another poster's comment that perhaps HM knew as early as the late 80s that Diana wouldn't stay the course and so didn't give her the Order which Sophie has received. IOW The Queen has higher esteem for Sophie than she did for Diana. :flowers:

Allright, thank you for the explanation then!:flowers: I'm sorry, it's obvious that I misunderstood what you said.:sad:

:previous:
The above report contains a revealing snippet about communication between Sophie and HM...

Addressing the 62 recruits...the Countess said: "When I tell the Queen about today’s parade I will tell Her Majesty that the standards achieved by her young soldiers
are as high as they ever were.
"

You're right Warren. This was noteworthy - but I think the Countess just wanted to encourage them. Meaning: be sure the Queen cares about you and would love to hear today's news. At least this is the way I saw it.:flowers:

All those parade photos are lovely Sophie is really good at her job IMO low profile just gets on good for her.

I am sure Sophie does a good job at her engagements, but did she really need to travek to Suffolk by helicopter? This is exactly the sort of thing that gives the royal family a bad name.
The BRF do need to think carefully about allowing only HM, the DoE and the PoW use of helicopters to get to engagements.

If they go by car or train they have to get bodyguards, when in helicopters they don't need them !

If they go by car or train they have to get bodyguards, when in helicopters they don't need them !

The BRF needs bodyguards wherever they go.
Travelling by helicopter is even worse, because not all the necessary protection and staff will be able to fit in the helicopter, so extra cars will have to take them to suffolk.
Bad idea to go in a helicopter.

Going by helicopter is faster and allows more engagements to be carried out and in the case of a young mother allows her to complete engagements away from home and still be a hands-on mum.

It also means that traffic isn't affected in any way by a couple of protected cars on official duties having to have right of way.

Sophie and her entourage can fit into one helicopter - she has one bodyguard and a lady-in-waiting.

If she needs more than that she would also need more than one car.

I personally think that if Sophie can't get to Suffolk and back in time for her children, she should plan her engagements better and do engagements in that part of the country when they are staying in Sandringham.

She is a minor royal, and the profile of her engagements is in keeping with her profile. Perhaops she could learn from her mother-in-law and take the train. There is a convenient rail link from London Liverpool St that she could have taken.

When prince charles becomes king, we will see a lot less of prince andrew and prince edward and princess anne family. not giving prince edward's children prince and princess titles speaks loudly.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say?
Edward and Sophie requested that their children not recieve the customary titles.
Instead they are titled according to the sons and daughters of earls.

I personally think that if Sophie can't get to Suffolk and back in time for her children, she should plan her engagements better and do engagements in that part of the country when they are staying in Sandringham.

She is a minor royal, and the profile of her engagements is in keeping with her profile. Perhaops she could learn from her mother-in-law and take the train. There is a convenient rail link from London Liverpool St that she could have taken.

You are assuming that Suffolk was the only engagement that day but for all we know she might have had a number of meetings etc at home that needed her to be home more quickly.

She is the wife of a younger son of the monarch and not all that minor (I regard the children of the monarch as major royals actually - cousins as minor but direct descendents of the monarch as more than minor).

The outings are only a small part of the royal's duties with many meetings and briefings taking place to prepare for these outings and also meetings and briefings in support of charities etc that they support.

Having small children is only one reason for her to need to use a helicopter.

The Queen using the train was nice but how did the rest of her party travel - by car so good PR for the Queen personally but look beyond that and see that the rest of the party weren't with her.

I accept that she may have multiple engagements on the day, but in my view, careful planning of the diary would mean you do not end up with multiple engagements that are in different parts of the country. I just think a "relatively" :)flowers:) minor royal ought not to be using helicopters unless there truely is an emergency.

Extending that thought further, the only people I think who should use helicopters and private planes for engagements should be HM, Prince Philip, Charles, and occassionally, Camilla. Everybody else should stick with using trains, scheduled flights or driving.

Not necessarily. I think that it depends on how much work the York princesses decide to take on and how public William and Harry are at that time. :flowers:

When prince charles becomes king, we will see a lot less of prince andrew and prince edward and princess anne family. not giving prince edward's children prince and princess titles speaks loudly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom