Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What you say makes a great deal of sense, Claire. A person is quite different at 21 than he or she is at 17. Personally, I am bothered by the way that Edward's behaviour during his 20s is still used against him. I believe that he has tried to serve his country and the Commonwealth, and perhaps his efforts will be better recognized someday--though hopefully not just at his funeral.

The only difference would be that Edward's route into the Marines changed him. If he was in the army or the air force he could have gone straight in from gap year and he would probably still be there now.

Millions of people around the world have left the armed services, they are not cowards or anything else for this. Just as simply as the billions of us that have never thought of been in the military are not. But it is generally thought that there is a conscription imposed on royal males close to the throne, I can believe that, and I am glad Edward rebelled against it.

Unfortunately I think that the British people don't see any use in most of the royals and no longer actually recognise the work that they do.

I don't see the monarchy lasting past Charles due to the lack of respect that the public have for the individuals which I think is rather unfair as all of them have served the Queen and country to the best of their ability.

I think that Prince Edward does look a bit ridiculous in military uniform as, I think, does the Duke of Gloucester. They are the only Royal men who havn't had a military career so when they put on all the regalia IMO they just look silly. I think Edward is even worse because he seems to adorn his uniforms with every bit of decoration going. I am referring to that gold rope thing over his right shoulder. Wearing this seems to be optional as neither the DOG nor Prince Michael put it on their uniforms even though as Colonol-in-Chiefs of regiments they could but Edward wears the lot and bearing in mind his history it all looks very OTT.

I think that Prince Edward does look a bit ridiculous in military uniform as, I think, does the Duke of Gloucester. They are the only Royal men who havn't had a military career so when they put on all the regalia IMO they just look silly. I think Edward is even worse because he seems to adorn his uniforms with every bit of decoration going. I am referring to that gold rope thing over his right shoulder. Wearing this seems to be optional as neither the DOG nor Prince Michael put it on their uniforms even though as Colonol-in-Chiefs of regiments they could but Edward wears the lot and bearing in mind his history it all looks very OTT.

It depends on the regiment and service as to what the uniform is and it usually isn't optional.

The gold rope thing as you call it is part of the uniform of the unit for the rank (even though honourary) that he holds and to not wear it would mean that he is incorrectly dressed just as for the others wearing it at times would be incorrect.

Well I have noticed that the DOG and Prince Michael never wear it no matter what uniform they are wearing be it naval, air force, army etc whilst other Royals who hold the same rank as them in these services do so it does appear to be optional.

Well I have noticed that the DOG and Prince Michael never wear it no matter what uniform they are wearing be it naval, air force, army etc whilst other Royals who hold the same rank as them in these services do so it does appear to be optional.

It isn't only related to the rank but also to the unit. For instance a general in one unit might have it as part of the uniform but not the general in another uniform.

That is crucial. If it is part of the uniform then it needs to be worn.

Edward has struggled to get public approval, and I guess had a pretty bad run in the Press till he married Sophie. I think Sophie has helped considerably in helping rehabilitate Edward, but I think he still has ground to cover. I think he should further attach himself to a few causes, including the DoE scheme and the WWF.

Edward doesn't have anything to do with the WWF.

Thanks, Dierna23 :flowers:, here are the pics of the event today,
really nice!

Sophie, Countess of Wessex carries a 'Papa Razzi' Union Jack Flag
clutch style handbag, emblazoned with the slogans 'Britannia Rules'
and 'Flying The Flag For Fashion' as she opens the Avenue School,
a special school for boys and girls aged 2 to 19 with complex special
educational needs, on January 19, 2010 in Reading, England.

On some of the pics you can see her making several hand gestures,
it's been part of their so called 'Bollywood Hand Game', lovely that
she took part in that! :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** gettyimages ** IBL gallery **

Thank you for the extra pictures!:flowers: It's obvious that the Countess had a good time yesterday. She looks very happy and quite relaxed. The 'Bollywood' hand gestures are funny. I liked these photos more than the others.:D

I saw the Countess of Wessex from very close angle in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot last year. Do you think it is possible to speak to her there?

Sorry for my ignorance but what does it mean to be a Dame of the Royal Victorian Order?

Having been appointed a Dame Grand Cross means the Countess holds the highest position to be held by a female in this particular order. A rank currently held by both the Duchess' of Kent and Gloucester.

Having been appointed a Dame Grand Cross means the Countess holds the highest position to be held by a female in this particular order. A rank currently held by both the Duchess' of Kent and Gloucester.

Thats great news for Sophie, and a very public recognition by HM of the esteem in which Sophie is held by the monarch. Does Sophie have the RFO as well? Also, how long does everybody think it will take for Camilla to also be given the Victorian order?

Wow finally she gets some form of order. :)
I hope this year she will recieve the Order of the garter. :flowers:
Camilla, a few more years.

I doubt if she will receive the Garter.

The next woman to get that, I think, will be Camilla - the spouse of the heir to the throne but I don't see that happening for many years.

It's more likely that Camilla would recieve a GCVO during the life of the Queen. Though I doubt if Camilla should wait as long. Perhaps during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Congratulations to Countess of Wessex on receiving on the Royal Victorian Order! :flowers:
I too hope Countess will be allowed to join the Order of the Garter.

Congratulations to Countess of Wessex on receiving on the Royal Victorian Order! :flowers:
I too hope Countess will be allowed to join the Order of the Garter.

It was clear that at some point Sophie would get the RVO - she and Edward have been married now over 10 years and she is celebrating her birthday this week - however i doubt that she will ever ger the Garter at any point, the Duchess of Gloucester has never received it and isnt likely too and Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra have only received the Order in the past number of year i think it is more reserved for senior members of the family rather than spouses but of course Camilla will receive it when Charles becomes King and also William's future wife at some point but as for the wives of Andrew, Edward, Harry etc it is not very likely

It was clear that at some point Sophie would get the RVO - she and Edward have been married now over 10 years and she is celebrating her birthday this week - however i doubt that she will ever ger the Garter at any point, the Duchess of Gloucester has never received it and isnt likely too and Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra have only received the Order in the past number of year i think it is more reserved for senior members of the family rather than spouses but of course Camilla will receive it when Charles becomes King and also William's future wife at some point but as for the wives of Andrew, Edward, Harry etc it is not very likely

Did Diana, P of W, receive an RVO? or Garter order?

It is unfortunate that Countess of Wessex will not get the Order of the Garter. She deserves to have it.

Did Diana, P of W, receive an RVO? or Garter order?
No, neither Diana or Sarah received an order of knighthood. Diana received the Royal Family Order as has Sophie. Sarah received nothing at all.
Sophie is also a Dame of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, making her the most honored of any of HM's daughters in law.

Thank you very much everyone for your very fast response to my question, much appreciated

Was Diana a good and faithful servant to the queen for ten years, or had she blotted her copy book by then?

Thank you very much everyone for your very fast response to my question, much appreciated

Was Diana a good and faithful servant to the queen for ten years, or had she blotted her copy book by then?

I think she had well and truly blotted her copybook, within the family, by 1991, although the Morton book was still a year away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom