The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Or put her in the same category as Sarah. I personally have always been ambivalent about Sophie...but she has worked dillegently on behalf of HM since her marriage. And I fail to see how this outburst connects with her daughter's eye problems. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

I agree that it does look bad but I also agree that we don't know the specifics. Though one does agree that if there was a disagreement it shoudl have been handled in private.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

For all we know she could have been explaining to him something that had happened rather than actually having a go at him, or what she would have liked to have done. We have some bad looking photos but that is all.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Really? So this worse then Diana's Panorama interview, or Fergie's toe sucking incident or Charles admitting adultery, Prince Harry's drunken pics ....I could go on and on- honestly it's pretty tame in that sense......
You make a good point, but still Sophie's behavior is undignified and ungraceful. A lady, and certainly a royal one, does not act like Sophie did.As far as public outbursts go... this is the biggest one I have read of since Diana exploded at the paparazzi outside the theater in 1994, after seeing Jurassic Park with the boys. Or since Harry hit that photographer outside a nightclub. You are right, Fergie's photos were disgusting.Diana and Charles's interviews were not outbursts.Honestly, in those photos Sophie looks like her mind just snapped.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Majesty

That's right. We have some photos of Sophie looking angry and upset, and the DM put the worst possible spin on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
We have some bad looking photos but that is all.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Which is what the DM seems to do best.

Do we know what really happened? No, but we're also not the Mother of a little girl, w/a very visible eye problem, who is about to be part of an event that millions around the World will be watching and worrying about how the Media could "use" any pictures of Louise to whatever spin they want. Not to mention I'm willing to bet there are some in the Palace who feel it's a bad thing to show any member of the Royal Family having any kind of "Defect" and have either said such thing to the Wessexs or have ensured such "whisperings" have gotten to them in some manner.

If I was Sophie right now, I'd be a bit stressed too.

Do I know this for a fact? Of course not, but I am legally blind, as well have other health issues to deal w/and believe me, I've had my fair share of such treatment dealt to me by Blood Relatives*** and so called Friends over the years when it came to big Family Events. I can only imagine it's multiplied to the factor of ten thousand for Edward and Sophie concerning little Lady Louise being one of the Bridesmaids this Friday.

Was it the right place for whatever happened to happen? No and considering how Bruce Oldfield's name keeps popping up as the possible designer of The Dress, Sophie should have known there'd be cameras around hoping for a "Big Scoop". She's also human though and...Sigh!!

This doesn't change my opinion of Sophie at all. She made a stupid mistake, yes, but for some people on here to act like she tried to sell access to her ex-husband, who is also a Trade Representive for his Country, like a certain Redhead we all know is a bit much IMO. Fergie's done a whole lot worse than this, yet the way some are trying to bring what happened w/Sophie and her PPO to that same level is beyond ridculious.

The timing couldn't be worse, but it's also not the biggest deal in the world either.

***AFAIC, those people are NOT my Family. Blood Relations yes, but to me, Family is more than just that. A lot more.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I just noticed this gem of a quote in the Mail article: "The bodyguard looked mortified. He was squirming and kept looking around in case anyone was watching."

Looking around to see what people nearby are doing is his job. He's supposed to be doing that the whole time he's with her, even when she's having an "outburst" (which seems to be Daily Mail-speak for having a furrowed brow).
Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I just noticed this gem of a quote in the Mail article: "The bodyguard looked mortified. He was squirming and kept looking around in case anyone was watching."

Looking around to see what people nearby are doing is his job. He's supposed to be doing that the whole time he's with her, even when she's having an "outburst" (which seems to be Daily Mail-speak for having a furrowed brow).

Exactly - he was still doing his job so he was professional enough to keep doing his job which also suggests that either this has happened before or it wasn't all that big a deal.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with Iluvbertie and Mermaid1962, you two took the words right out of my mouth!! Sophie's obviously just received a phonecall, something that probably changed her plans and she's discussing it with her bodyguard (and perhaps they disagree as to 'what are we supposed to do now'). The man looks pensive not mortified. And besides, it IS the Daily Fail!! They knew exactly which photos to select and publish in order to sell their story. And where is the video that proves their story?? Nevermind! Hey, forget about the nonsense, London is in a festive mood, the weather is wonderful and we should be partying 24/7!!!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm willing to overlook this incident. Firstly, we don't know what prompted this. Secondly, Sophie has been a dutiful member of the royal family and has hardly ever been involved in scandals, except the sheik scandal.

She does work hard and is always smiling when doing her duties. For this reason, I am willing to overlook this incident, she is allowed an off day at times, just like anyone.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight
I agree with Iluvbertie and Mermaid1962, you two took the words right out of my mouth!! Sophie's obviously just received a phonecall, something that probably changed her plans and she's discussing it with her bodyguard (and perhaps they disagree as to 'what are we supposed to do now'). The man looks pensive not mortified.
Agreed.... Looking at the pictures again it does seen the bodyguard doesn't looked embarassed but genuiely concerned- maybe Sophie was just told the dresses came in the wrong size or maybe she was upset pictures were taken because it hints at Kate's designer or maybe a sales lady was rude and Sophie was retelling the story, I'm just saying it could be many things....even just a crappy day.......Sophie is still one of my fav Royals....
Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is one reason that I do not envy those who are in the public eye. A few chance photographs can be spun in any direction . There isn't a video to accompany this story that would clearly show what was happening in that moment.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Everything that is related to the royal family sells like hell these days. Mugs with their faces on, coins, T-shirts with the Queen, T-shirts with the Queen's corgis, Diana's autographs, Diana's interviews, movies etc. etc. So what have we got here? Photos of the Queen's favourite daughter-in-law talking to her protection officer on the street and is there some tension in the air? How can we fix this a bit? People love drama!! etc. etc.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Not to mention I'm willing to bet there are some in the Palace who feel it's a bad thing to show any member of the Royal Family having any kind of "Defect" and have either said such thing to the Wessexs or have ensured such "whisperings" have gotten to them in some manner.

If I was Sophie right now, I'd be a bit stressed too.

And you really think a loving, caring, grandmother, like the Queen would allow her staff to " whisper" about her grandchild?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
And you really think a loving, caring, grandmother, like the Queen would allow her staff to " whisper" about her grandchild?
Who said HM hears about it? You're also underestitmating how cruel certain people can be when they want to be.

I have a certain Blood Relative that still goes on about what a shame it is that my Cousin's Wedding Pictures aren't as lovely as they could be because of my yellow skin colour due to Kidney Failure. Oh and what a shame my Bridesmaid bouquet couldn't have covered my Dialysis access in my right arm or the needle marks Dialysis left to completely to hide them.

And this Wedding took place in 1992 BTW *and* she says it to my face whenever she gets a chance. Which proves just how stupid she truly is, but also how cruel a person this critter creature is as well.

If you don't think Edward and Sophie aren't getting some form of this about Louise being a member of Catherine's Wedding Party, then think again!! It may be 2011, but never underestimate how cruel certain members of the Human Race can be.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM

I was pretty shocked by the article. I don't follow her closely, but I have always gotten the impression she is very pleasant. The DM said she has a reputation for this, though? Is that true? I have to say, whatever the reason, it is a very public place to berate him, and with the royal interest high because of the wedding, lacking in prudence. Then again, I don't always pick the most prudent places to lose my temper either.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm so sorry to hear this, Tiggersk8! I believe you should put her down at last, nobody should be allowed to behave so cruel!! I know that people from the Royal Household gossip a lot behind the royals' back. I also recall reading that certain members of the staff used to call Sarah Ferguson names in front of her face, when no significant person was around, when she was newly married, young and naive and unable to respond.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskateblog View Post
I was pretty shocked by the article. I don't follow her closely, but I have always gotten the impression she is very pleasant. The DM said she has a reputation for this, though? Is that true? I have to say, whatever the reason, it is a very public place to berate him, and with the royal interest high because of the wedding, lacking in prudence. Then again, I don't always pick the most prudent places to lose my temper either.
We don't know if this was a real outburst. I would believe it, only if I saw a video or if Sophie's words were recorded on a tape or something.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this, Tiggersk8! I believe you should put her down at last, nobody should be allowed to behave so cruel!! I know that people from the Royal Household gossip a lot behind the royals' back. I also recall reading that certain members of the staff used to call Sarah Ferguson names in front of her face, when no significant person was around, when she was newly married, young and naive and unable to respond.

Am I seeing this properly, are you saying that Sarah Ferguson was young and naive when she married Andrew? She had already lived with an older man and she had mixed with the royal family since almost the day she was born.
I am sorry but I just can't believe that any member of the staff would ever call the wife of the Queen's favourite son names to her face. Sophie in the photo seemed to have acted badly, perhaps she did, we don't know the facts and all I can hope is that she is never caught by a photographer in a compromising situation again. I like Sophie and from what we can read so does the Queen.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Say what you want, Wisteria. But read my posts more carefully next time. I didn't say Sarah was a Saint or a virgin when she married Prince Andrew (don't know whether she was or not, I don't care and this isn't the case here), I said she was too naive and young to respond to such nasty remarks. Well Sarah is a nice person anyway, I don't think she would ever reply to anyone, no matter how uncouth and malicious they could be. The incident I mentioned is true. She was leaving BP when that happened, walking down some stairs alone, if I remember correctly, and got attacked by a couple members of the then staff.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

If Sophie and Edward were so worried about negative press reports, they would not let Lady Louise take part. If Catherine did not want Loise in her bridal party, she would not have asked.

@ tiggersk8- I know how cruel the world can be. I have Cerebral Palsy, and cannot walk. Because of this I was bullied in high school.
I was in a family wedding bridal party once. My family was hugely supportive. I cannot imagine the hurt you went thru. my family would never do that to me. I am lucky. I wish you had had the same.

Closed Thread