The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Majesty

I find it interesting that the DM takes the body-guard's side and portrays him as a victim of "grand", "let-'em-have-it-with-two-barrels" Sophie. As for the "friend" who made the unkind remarks about the Countess, "with friends like that..."

Old 04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow... I have never seen Sophie like that! I have to wonder what was going on, why she was upset.
As for being grand... never seen Sophie's grand side.
I have to wonder now is her friendly behavior, just a act?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Majesty

Everyone has a bad day now and then. Which of us has never flown off the handle when stressed? I think that something very serious happened with the protection officer (maybe he stepped out of line...who knows?) or else she's under unusual pressure lately and reached the tipping point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I have to wonder now is her friendly behavior, just a act?
Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Majesty

I just saw the article and am completely baffled by such a display of inappropriate behaviour. That being said, it would be reasonable to assume that Countess of Wessex had a stressful day like any other woman had. At the same time, I can not help, but wonder who followed Countess of Wessex and took photos.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Well, I guess she's neither the always calm and serene Sophie nor the grand Sophie. Of course she's acting a bit when undertaking engagements, I remember reading somewhere that she's not always as easy going and down to earth as it may seem. Anyway, I don't think this story is a big deal. She seems simply pissed here, something that can happen to everyone and as she obviously didn't realize/expect cameras around, she vent her spleen.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

A little off topic, but I think that bodyguard used to guard the York girls.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

In the past, Sophie has always seemed to be very happy. IMHO, something has happened to change that. I can't see her being that stressed out about the wedding...she is not going to be the center of attention.

It's hard to imagine the bodyguard doing something that warranted that kind of anger and emotion. He's a professional...he wouldn't have overstepped the bounds that far. I'm guessing that he did something minor and all the anger and stress that was in Sophie came out, directed at him.

I feel so sorry for her. She has been such an asset to the RF. It's very unfortunate that someone managed to catch that incident on camera. It must be very embarrassing for her and today of all days when she has to gather with the rest of the RF at Windsor.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

The behaviour displayed by Sophie is appalling. To be stressed or whatever reason she had to be upset is irrelevant. No one, royal or not, should behave in such a manner in a public place. She is berating an employee. One does that behind closed doors, no matter what.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Nobility

She needs to calm down, it is just a wedding. Also, they need to get their daughter's eye condition fixed. The longer they leave it the worse it will affect her eyesight.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Courtier

As much as I dislike criticising the royal ladies, especially those who married into royalty (always the most vulnerable to spiteful gossip) I agree with Grevinnan.

Sophie's behaviour was very shocking, indeed. There is no excuse for berating an assistant or servant in public, and to actually stab her finger at him in her rage! Words fail me!

One thing is certain: the Countess will be made to regret her public explosion. The palace will not be pleased, nor should it be.

Perhaps some of the minor royals, about to be superseded in the nation's affections, are feeling anxious and stressed as the world's attention becomes more clearly focussed on Catherine.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

We can only speculate about what really happened and it's always very easy to write a good royal bashing story (as the Daily Mail usually does all the time) from a couple of pictures. I'll take the alleged "friend" comment with a grain of salt too (Sophie "too grand"? Cmon...).
Some DM readers comments are clearly ridiculously overreacted ...
Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Courtier

That's usually my response to newspaper reports, too. However, in this instance, there is photographic evidence of decidedly un-royal, ignoble behaviour. The Countess should know better.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Royal Highness

"Ignoble"? Was she killing a puppy or something like that; Cmon

Royal Wedding 2011: Countess of Wessex is wearing Bruce Oldfield | Mail Online

What i see is, yes, a clear outburst from the Countess. About What ? because of? Who knows? And the "see what this royal is doing to her bodygard" thing is clearly exaggerated (if not made up) by the Daily Mail.

Judging by some DM comments, I'am always surprised how versatile people are : yesterday Sophie was one of the most popular member of the BRF and today she's the evil incarnated....
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Nobility

Who knows what actually went on.
Of course not great behaviour, but the minor royals, not like the Queen
apparently go to their Dress Shoppes verus them coming to their places, so
there is alot more room for things to happen.

PS I did meet Sopihe on her first royal tour after being married in a small
setting with my mother and sister, and to be honest we were not
impressed with her friendliness.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Courtier

"ignoble" is meant in the sense of 'common','plebeian', 'dishonourable'. And her behaviour was all of that. I did not accuse her of cruelty!

She was never a favourite of mine - in fact, I barely gave her a thought. However, she's certainly made a figure of herself and drawn unwanted attention to the Family at a most inappropriate time. She will not be thanked for it, and probably told so, in no uncertain terms.

My parents and in-laws who all know quite a bit about protocol agree that they've never seen such a public exhibition from any royal in more than 50 years!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
My parents and in-laws who all know quite a bit about protocol agree that they've never seen such a public exhibition from any royal in more than 50 years!
Really? So this worse then Diana's Panorama interview, or Fergie's toe sucking incident or Charles admitting adultery, Prince Harry's drunken pics ....I could go on and on- honestly it's pretty tame in that sense......
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too have always been "skeptical" of Sophie. For what reason, I've never been able to put my finger on, so to see this, let's just say that I'm not shocked. She will definately be reprimanded for this outburst. The RF as a whole does not need this type of media attention.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I wish there was video of the event. I honestly can't tell what she's doing or saying from the selection of still pictures. They certainly don't say "outburst" to me.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I just hate when someone takes out a temper tantrum on someone who is powerless to do anything other than take it!
It makes me see that person as a bully!
I have decided I don't like Sophie (not that I ever did, but I didn't dislike her either. Now she's in league with Sarah Ferguson, imo).
Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Majesty

That's my feeling as well. Sophie has served HM very well for the last 10 years or so, and I don't think it's right to judge her harshly because of one public outburst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Really? So this worse then Diana's Panorama interview, or Fergie's toe sucking incident or Charles admitting adultery, Prince Harry's drunken pics ....I could go on and on- honestly it's pretty tame in that sense......

Closed Thread