Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not odd at all . The Wessexes have always been favorite royals of mine . Sophie and I are from very similar backgrounds and ages, I have always taken an interest in them. The Mail said Sophie was not ready to become a "middle-aged Royal " , good , because I'm not ready to become middle-aged yet either ! ! :ohmy: :ohmy:

You are most welcome, Molly2101 :flowers: And I can easily understand both of you, Molly2101 and lady of hay :)

In the meantime the mentioned visit to the USA has started:

Yesterday, June 20, the Earl of Wessex arrived in the USA, had a meeting with Mr. Arne Duncan (Secretary of
State for Education) and attended a reception at Capitol Hill. Today, he visited the Living Classroom Foundation
in Baltimore, all connected with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award-Young Americans' Challenge.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** Prince Edward brings youth program to Baltimore ** Pictures: Prince Edward visits Baltimore **

Thanks iceflower for the image links. Prince Edward looks really happy to be there!

I often wonder when members of the Royal family go on foreign engagements, do they contact their spouses/children when they're away? I suppose Charles wouldn't contact his children, but I imagine he speaks to Camilla. The same for Edward and Sophie. I would find it odd not speaking to my spouse (if I were married, haha) when they were in a foreign country.

You are most welcome, Molly2101 :flowers: And I can easily understand both of you, Molly2101 and lady of hay :)

In the meantime the mentioned visit to the USA has started:

Yesterday, June 20, the Earl of Wessex arrived in the USA, had a meeting with Mr. Arne Duncan (Secretary of
State for Education) and attended a reception at Capitol Hill. Today, he visited the Living Classroom Foundation
in Baltimore, all connected with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award-Young Americans' Challenge.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** Prince Edward brings youth program to Baltimore ** Pictures: Prince Edward visits Baltimore **

Thanks iceflower for the pictures and artical
It's great, but I would like to see Sophie, also with him in this trip :) :whistling:

You are most welcome :flowers:

Here's an additional article:

** Ben Lacy '09 receives Duke of Edinburgh's Award Young Americans' Challenge **

The Earl of Wessex attending the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award and Young Americans' Challenge
gala at The Pierre Hotel on June 23, 2011 in New York City.

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery **

And a story more focussing on other guests of the event ;)

** That's one way to make an impression on royalty! Kirstie Alley stuns Prince Edward with her unflattering
yellow gown at New York charity event

Woah, that is a very vibrant dress Kirstie! I am pleased to see how much weight she has lost though. Well done, Kirstie!

Thanks for the articles and information. Edward looks like he is enjoying himself. :) I love the way he fiddles with his hands in this circumstances, most likely a habit of his. I notice Prince Andrew does it as well.

Is Edward stepping into his father's shoes with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards ??

:previous:

Prince Philip still is patron of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards (see this link to the official website), but Prince Edward
takes over a lot of commitments, especially by attending Gold Award ceremonies around the world. One day Prince
Edward will surely be the patron himself..

Woah, that is a very vibrant dress Kirstie! I am pleased to see how much weight she has lost though. Well done, Kirstie!

Thanks for the articles and information. Edward looks like he is enjoying himself. :) I love the way he fiddles with his hands in this circumstances, most likely a habit of his. I notice Prince Andrew does it as well.

Yes, she does look nice, however she has done this before, and before, and before. :ROFLMAO:

I heard that Edward and Sophie will be representing the queen/royal family of britian at the Monaco royal wedding. Why does it seem that they are the only one going to other countries royal weddings?

I heard that Edward and Sophie will be representing the queen/royal family of britian at the Monaco royal wedding. Why does it seem that they are the only one going to other countries royal weddings?
Well, I'm not sure, since there has never been an official pronouncement saying so :innocent:, but I guess it's in great part because Pr Edward, before the 2nd marriage of the PofW, was for some years, the only son, "still married". Of course there were Pr Anne and her husband, but big parties and international celebrations don't seem much their thing. The Wessexes seem to me to be more people's persons, people who have better social skills and are more comfortable and pleased in social events.
Besides that, Edward is 14 years younger than Charles, so, even the Pr of Wales being married today, maybe Buckingham feels like Edward and Sophie are closer to this generation formed by Frederik and Mary, Wilhem-Alexander and Maxima, Felipe and Letizia, etc

I suspect that it's perhaps because they have more time available to go.

Perhaps they enjoy it? I read that Prince Albert and Charlene had developed a friendship with Edward and Sophie, having met them a few times, so it's only fair they go to this wedding. William and Catherine aren't going as they are in Canada I believe, and Charles and Camilla rarely go to foreign Royal weddings. It seems that the last few years it's been Edward and Sophie. I know for Princess Victoria, Edward and Sophie were also friends of theres, having met them on several occasions.

I suspect that it's perhaps because they have more time available to go.

I think that's probably another reasons, along with as Rosou mentioned, they are more "people friendly".

Perhaps they enjoy it? I read that Prince Albert and Charlene had developed a friendship with Edward and Sophie, having met them a few times, so it's only fair they go to this wedding. William and Catherine aren't going as they are in Canada I believe, and Charles and Camilla rarely go to foreign Royal weddings. It seems that the last few years it's been Edward and Sophie. I know for Princess Victoria, Edward and Sophie were also friends of theres, having met them on several occasions.

I think that's probably another reasons, along with as Rosou mentioned, they are more "people friendly".

I agree , seem they have friendship with most of them and also maybe because they are the same approximate age :flowers:

I think that Prince Edward is off to the Isle of Wight this week and is then setting off for the Principality.

Please may I help with a little background information?

I do think that the reason for Edward attending the wedding is because his schedule is generally less crowded around this time - don't forget that many of the Royal Family's Engagements are either fixed or at least pencilled in up to 2 years in advance. [sometimes even more in the case of the Queen]. This is because Edward likes to visit Henley Royal Regatta and tries to do so each year [and which is being held at the moment]. Henley 'week' is therefore 'marked off' on his schedule from year to year, although of course it is accepted that he will not be attending on all days - usually just one or sometimes two. The actual decision on which days he will attend the Regatta can then be 'firmed up' nearer the time, or 'scratched' all together if something else comes up.

Don't forget that Royal / Princeley 'engagements' [i.e. to be married] are generally rather shorter than with non-royals: generally, not more than 6 months or so [ commoners in the UK can be engaged for up to 2 years whilst they 'save up' for their weddings - not a problem in royal circles]. I suspect that when Prince Albert announced his enagement, and for a summer wedding, many British Royals' diaries were already pretty booked up - don't foget it is the height of the 'British Summer [i.e. social] season at the moment, where these events nearly ALWAYS have a royal prescence - Chelsea Flower Show, Royal Ascot, Polo Matches, Royal Garden parties etc etc.

I would therefore expect that as Edward's schedule is more flexible around this time and bearing in mind that he has indeed met Prince Albert on a number of occasions, he and Sophie seemed the 'ideal' choice as guests. Lucky them.

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
I would tend to disagree with you. All royals switch and change their engagements sometimes days ahead of them. Any of the royals could have attended. Nobody's engagements are written in stone.
If you look back at all the royal weddings and other royal functions in Europe (Jubilee's & Anniversaries) Edward and Sophie have attended and even those Edward attended alone - you'll notice that Prince Charles or Princess Anne also attended. There was even a wedding he attended with the Kents. It was asked why both Edward and Charles attended and it was given that Prince Charles attended as the Queen's rep and Edward was invited individually. It would thus seem that Edward has royal friends in Europe. I mean he is the godfather of Joachim's son and has competed in the same regattas as Frederick and Felipe. Chances are he know the European royals a lot better then many would suggest.

As mentioned the Earl of Wessex has been on a two day visit to the Isle of Wight on June 29th and June 30th.

Here's the programme of the visit and two pics of the NatWest Island Games he attended.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** Prince visits Island Games **

** HRH the Earl of Wessex presents prestigious Queens Awards **

On June 28, the Countess of Wessex visited Beechwood Cancer Care Unit, Chelford Grove, Stockport, Cheshire.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** beechwoodcancercare ** source **

** Hands-on Countess visits cancer centre **

I am loving Sophie's dress and wedges. Very chic as always. Can't wait to see what else she's going to be wearing.

I agree with you Princeess_Lili, she looks wonderful :)
I can't wait too for tomorrow royals outfits :flowers:

Finally an image! I LOVE Sophie's dresss a lot. Beautiful colour. She looks very glamourous. I like that Edward's tie is blue to match, purposefully or not!

I think they always look to align / match color of the outfits :), which is very nice :twohearts:

She looks stunning did anyone find a photo of them at the civil service or did they not attend?

I think they didn't attend a civil wedding, maybe like the other royals they attend the concert after the civil wedding,but pity we don't see pictures :)

Wow Sophie looks stunning :) at Monaco Religious Wedding

Sophie does look lovely. The dress is beautiful, as are her shoes. I am glad her hair is up with her hat. Looks lovely. Edward's uniform is VERY white.

The blue dress from their arrival to Monaco is the nicest dress i've seen her wear in a long time. It's really lovely. I forget she's 46. Not that that is old, but she's not 29 anymore and she still looks great.

Hand holding MagMil, haha. One. Fair enough, Edward's probably just helping her down the stairs but still, it's nice.

Last edited:
Sophie does look lovely. The dress is beautiful, as are her shoes. I am glad her hair is up with her hat. Looks lovely. Edward's uniform is VERY white.

The blue dress from their arrival to Monaco is the nicest dress i've seen her wear in a long time. It's really lovely. I forget she's 46. Not that that is old, but she's not 29 anymore and she still looks great.

Hand holding MagMil, haha. One. Fair enough, Edward's probably just helping her down the stairs but still, it's nice.

speaking of holding hands: märchenhochzeit in monacohochzeit von albert und charlene: prinz edward und sophie von wessex bei ankunft zur kirchlichen trauung im place du palais in monaco 020711 ***religious wedding of prince_albert and charlene_wittstock in monaco, july 2nd, 20

He looks quite dashing in his uniform. A lovely couple

He looks quite dashing in his uniform. A lovely couple

He is definitely the most handsome of Queen Elizabeth II's children.

Sydney, that linked to an older couple...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom