The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

Regarding the Lady Louise's condition, I had read - sorry cannot recall where - that the reason behind their decision was that she had had so much medical intervention already that they made the decision to give her some time for her systems to recover and get stronger. Made sense to me. They certainly must want what is best for her - weighed all the options - and decided it was best to wait.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I had this condition at birth myself. I never had surgery, as surgery of the eye was still primitive. I wore an eyepatch from age 18 months until I was 20. This long exercise corrected the problem. I'm now 63 and all is well. I hope this turns out to be the same for Lady Louise.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I had this condition at birth myself. I never had surgery, as surgery of the eye was still primitive. I wore an eyepatch from age 18 months until I was 20. This long exercise corrected the problem. I'm now 63 and all is well. I hope this turns out to be the same for Lady Louise.
My uncle had the same thing as a child apparently, wore an eye patch for a while when younger & it corrected it perfectly.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Aristocracy

I empathize with her. She seems to do very well, always very smiley, I think she walks normally from what I have seen. I just meant with the vision issue it must tax her balance and perhaps even depth perception?

I hope she can have it fixed as well as possible as soon as she can, safely of course.

As for KittyAtlanta and Rossop sharing their experiences with the condition I am very happy for Kitty herself and Rossop's uncle overcoming this. I wrote that earlier in the thread that perhaps it would work for Louise because she is about 7, where Anna Nicole Smith's daughter is about 4? and probably it is much harder to get her to keep the patch on, get her to do eye exercises, etc. Thanks for sharing that information! It is so good to hear that though difficult this condition can be overcome.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Lady Louise

The condition does bear on inadequate depth perception. Mine did not go totally away, but is not life altering. I can drive without corrective lenses and do everything else that requires pretty good vision. Stairs can be a problem, but only going down.

I have much hope for the young Lady.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Majesty

Being a person with a visual impairment myself, I can relate to Lady Louise, and the other posters on the forum. I had to wear an eye patch over each eye for a certain amount of time, however it did nothing for me. Anyway, I'm now finishing up on my Masters in education for those with visual impairment, and from what I remember from my anatomy of the eye class, wearing an eye patch when one has exotropia (I believe Louise has that condition) will basically get the stronger eye to basically be the eye that is responsible for getting all the images and such. The weaker eye will not even be used as the time goes on. I hope this made sense, but if not, I'll try to look back in my notes and explain it clearer, if anyone is interested.

I wonder if Louise is getting any vision services along with some orientation and mobility training. The O&M will help her deal with the depth perception, and travel safely. I'm guessing her impairment is not severe enough to warrant cane or braille use.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Aristocracy

One would suppose that Lady Louise was receiving the best of care for her eye condition.
My child was born with turned in eyes due to a difficult birth.
He, at six weeks, was under the best Eye Surgeon in Melbourne.
He was advised to wear eye patches from three months of age. They were really easy to wear due to them being sticky around the edges.
I was taught how to visually assess which eye was behaving the stronger of the two each day. Then I would patch the stronger eye. The reason for this was to keep both eyes equally strong in vision and in contact with the brain so that one eye did not loose it's sight, and to prepare for the eyes to have surgury with a similar amount of muscle adjustment to each eye..
At age ten months (as early as was safe to do so) he had both eyes' inner muscles operated on. This went fine and he looked great until nine years of age when one turned in again due to him having a muscle growth spurt. Again the patching was done before the operation and again it was very successful. Some patching and eye testing, to encourage both eyes to become equally strong occured for some months after that.
Now my son is 26 and his eyes each have 20/20 vision, he does not need to wear glasses, he looks great, only having one eye occasionally
veer inwards slightly if he is really tired. No one would ever know.
My son's brain will never let both eyes see at the exact same time.
So he uses his eyes, subconsiosly, intermittedly (very fast of course).
Some of the cues that people with normal vision use to judge distance
my son can not do but his brain has adapted using other cues.
He played ball sports at the same level as his friends, taking a little longer to grasp the basics like catching and kicking before he grew in confidence. His three D is to 1.5 mm so he can't do the 'coloured dot'
three D puzzles. Otherwise, he has been very lucky. My son's doctor was brilliant - having earnt a high reputation due to his success.
Each case would vary I would think. At the paediatric eye clinic where my son attended many children had patches, some surgery as well and some children wore glasses as part of their treatment. I would think the degree of impairment might be different for each child.
A child like Lady Louise would have access to the very best of care so I trust that her treatment has been totally appropriate.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Thank you everyone for sharing their personal stories about similiar eye problems.

I must admit that I was aware of what the press was saying in relation to Lady Louise's eye issue but it didn't connect with me until you shared your experiences.

If anything this additional knowledge just makes me more mad that the press and the naysayers with the nasty comments just don't get it and are quick to rush to judgement without knowing all the facts. And really, we still don't know the particulars with Lady Louise. And frankly, I don't think its our business.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Zonk, thanks for your patience about eye problems. I think we just wanted, in some way, to express that congenital defects don't have to diminish a person's value to the rest of the world.

As for little Louise stumbling, she is at that awkward age when her center of gravity is changing. Kids her age are always falling down, whether they have vision problems or not.

She's a sweet little girl.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

I have never seen Louise stumble before, but as you say all kids seem to do that. I grew in spurts where I was so awkward.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared their personal and family stories about their eye conditions. It is so good to hear that this can and has been overcome very successfully.

As for it being our business, no, nothing of their lives really is, yet I have to think that Prince Edward and the rest of his family would be appreciative that people have such care for his daughter. Those who question if Louise has had care for her health are likely just thinking of the little girl, who must depend at this young age on her parent's care. I'm sure they just don't want to see Louise suffering if it could be prevented and become passionate about it and aim their frustration at the only people they can the parents.

All the good luck to Louise, and I just hope little James does not have the same difficulty.

Great posts everyone!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Nobility

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/l...-hospital.html

Quote:
Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex was on hand to officially open the new Wirral Women and Children's Hospital.
FInally, some new pictures of Sophie; she looks great.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Your link doesn't work so here it is again.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

The Earl of Wessex opens Stirling University Library. March 04, 2011

BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Here are some more pics of the Earl of Wessex today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gallery **

** PA: Earl opens £11m university library **
Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

He seems to be quite busy, and looks rather happy and fulfilled in his role. He's still an unfamiliar face to me (and I think he's rather nondescript looking) so I would have a hard time picking him out in a crowd.

It's too bad the princes don't wear brooches or something to help identify them as royals. He does have that little silver pin on (does anyone know what it signifies?). Does he always wear one? I think it should be a bit more colorful (and his suit could be tailored a bit differently, too), so as to make him stand out a bit more, as a royal.

But he looks like a very nice person (although still a little tense - his hands look so tightly clasped, I want to reach and say, "Relax, Your Highness."

(Would that be the right way to address him?)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Royal Highness

I like his tie! And William does look a bit like him, no? :) I love Edward and Sophie!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I want to reach and say, "Relax, Your Highness."
(Would that be the right way to address him?)
"Your Royal Highness" first; and thereafter, "Sir."
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Edward used to stand out before. There was a time he was considered quite "a catch". He was fairly good looking for a brief time. Now he's not that old really but seems a little boring, and not very eye catching. Too bad...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks to those who provided links. Sophie looked lovely yesterday.

I "missed" the Lady Louise discussion, but just wanted to mention...

I also deal w/visual impairment/degenerative eye disease and I'm so happy that we'll be seeing her at William and Kate's Wedding. Regardless of the severity of her particualr problem, she's old enough to be taking part in Family events like this if asked. You can bet that *something* will be said about it during the broadcast of the Wedding and who knows what kind of postitive message that will send to parents who are dealing w/some of the same issues as Edward and Sophie.

No, they don't have to worry about the Paparazzi stalking their children, but they do have to deal w/the perceptions of certain idiots that make up their Family. The fact Sophie and Edward are letting Lady Louise take part in something that's going to have an audience in the Millions? It can only help prove to Families the World round that, "See, that little one has vision problems and if she can take part in such a big thing, then my little one can certainly go and take part in xxx family occasion/get together in a Public setting."

I can't wait to see her in all her Bridesmaid finery.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Majesty

This is very true. Lady Louise will get a boost of confidence from this experience, and I will make sure to tell my students (I'm student teaching in a primary classroom of children with VI) to follow this event on the news. William and Catherine are sending a very powerful message, and I too think that it will give hope and confidence to many who are either visually impaired themselves, or are in contact with those who are visually impaired.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread