The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Don't you think a vet would have been involved had one of the dogs been hurt?
Do you know one wasn't involved or do you think everyone connected to the RF will sell their story, not that I believe Peter Philips did anything wrong.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Do you know one wasn't involved or do you think everyone connected to the RF will sell their story, not that I believe Peter Philips did anything wrong.
Well, I did not read a single article mentioning a vet being involved. And if you look at the pictures galleries you will find the two dogs running around and looking pretty fine.

And Peter Philips ... well, if selling your family to a magazine for profit only is not wrong, then I do not know what else is wrong! One should live the life one can afford. But selling your relatives and friends is a failure of character IMHO.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by englande View Post
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-cruelty-claim

It's an article about prince Edward ridding with her sister,and he don't seem worry about the polemic of the dogs...
Good for him
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
And if you look at the pictures galleries you will find the two dogs running around and looking pretty fine.
Were these pics taken before or after the incident?
Quote:
But selling your relatives and friends is a failure of character IMHO.
His family knew about the deal, that much is clear, otherwise they would have sent a polite refusal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by englande
http://http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/77758/Prince-Edward-rides-out-dog-cruelty-claim

It's an article about prince Edward riding with her sister,and he don't seem worry about the polemic of the dogs...
Thank you englande, the link didn't work for me until I removed a http://.

PRINCE Edward went riding with his sister Princess Anne yesterday and left Sandringham estate workers to sort out the mess created by his involvement in animal cruelty allegations.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

if an investigation finds that edward did strike the dog, or even if it doesn't, i believe that rather than paying a fine he should have to take instruction on how to handle his dogs. a fine would be an easy out for him. i believe that in most, not all but most cases, people strike their animals because they don't know of a better way. learning how to "get them what you want them to do" will spare you and the animal a lot of frustration, anger and potential injury.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

Rex Features - Photographic press agency and picture library

More pics that the press did not use.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, I did not read a single article mentioning a vet being involved. And if you look at the pictures galleries you will find the two dogs running around and looking pretty fine.

And Peter Philips ... well, if selling your family to a magazine for profit only is not wrong, then I do not know what else is wrong! One should live the life one can afford. But selling your relatives and friends is a failure of character IMHO.

Couldn't agree more.

The pictures I have seen of the dogs running around and looking pretty fine include Edward carrying a dead bird.

Surely if the photographer had images of the dogs not being fine after the incident then they would have published them.

The fact that the photos come at the end of the sequence tells me that the photographer wanted to show exactly that - that the dogs weren't hurt.

Personally I agree with your assessment of Peter Philips as well. His actions were the sign of someone wishing to make money out of his family which tells me that he has a somewhat inflated opinion of himself but also a lack of respect for his family and their position.

Whether the rest of the family knew or didn't is immaterial to me. It was his idea and therefore he was the one who prostituted his family. If they agreed then they also agreed to him being their pimp. The Royal Family most be above this sort of selling of themselves.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
if an investigation finds that edward did strike the dog, or even if it doesn't, i believe that rather than paying a fine he should have to take instruction on how to handle his dogs. a fine would be an easy out for him. i believe that in most, not all but most cases, people strike their animals because they don't know of a better way. learning how to "get them what you want them to do" will spare you and the animal a lot of frustration, anger and potential injury.
Again I agree, if there is any problem with an animal, it is normally the owner/handler who is the root cause. Unfortunately as I have already said, the investigation will be futile. None of the Beaters, Gamekeepers or other Estate staff would chance putting their jobs and accommodation at risk, IMO, to say anything other than we saw nothing.

The trouble with Black Labs is that except to their owners (and sometimes not even then), they all look the same, so it is no good looking at pictures of labs running about and saying 'oh look they were fine'. Nor is it any good relying on the sequence in which you are shown them, as seen in the recent BBC debacle.

Whether he contacted with the dogs or not, whether he seriously injured the dogs or not, the fact is the photos show clearly that he went after the dog(s) and raised a walking stick well above his head with the probably intention of teaching it a 'lesson'.

UK law does not allow for the 'beating' of a dog, nor as is being suggested by some, to 'protect' the dog.

Under the animal Welfare Act 2006, it says nothing about anyone being allowed to show violence to any animal, the wording is given in chapter 4.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006...0060045_en.pdf
Old 01-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Aristocracy

Pet News Examiner: Prince Edward accused of beating dogs, animal cruelty

Quote:
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) will be examinig the photographs (below) to determine if Prince Edward violated the Animal Welfare Act and inflicted harm unnecessarily. (It is not illegal in England to hit a dog to save it from some danger.)
Well looking at the sequence of pics in this article suggests to me the dog he was chasing away was displaying behaviour that may of lead to a fight, if Edward had not stepped in. So if a fight was to of happened then both dogs were potentially in danger of suffering injuries that may of been caused if a fight would of happened.

I think the one he is chasing away needs more training, because he is potentially stopping the other dog from giving his owner the bird he retrieved for him. By trying to take the bird off the rival dog and nearly getting into a fight over it.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

What part of "enough already" did everyone not understand? Moving on!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Pics 2.1.2009

Life goes on...another pheasant shoot with Prince Edward on the
Sandringham Estate, Norfolk, Britain - 02 Jan 2009 - I'm sure he
was aware that he was carefully watched at.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Commoner

^ those dogs look like they are being treated like kings now!
It looks like a PR 'shoot' as opposed to a pheasant shoot! It would be interesting to know how far away these photographers are. Are the grounds not big enough for them to hunt in privacy without being seen or are these photographers stationed on every possible road?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the pics, Ice. It does seem as tho P E is trying to make amends w either the public or the dogs or both. The dogs look happy and healthy and not the least bit fearful of him so I'd like to believe he treats them well.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGen View Post
^ those dogs look like they are being treated like kings now!
It looks like a PR 'shoot' as opposed to a pheasant shoot! It would be interesting to know how far away these photographers are. Are the grounds not big enough for them to hunt in privacy without being seen or are these photographers stationed on every possible road?
Exactly Honi soit qui mal y pense!After the row over those pictures, enter Prince Edward, the dog lover... | Mail Online
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Commoner

This brouhaha about Prince Edward shows the ignorance of dogs on the part of the people complaining. The dogs in the photos are obviously well fed, well cared for and not at all afraid of their master.

Waving a stick about to break up a dog fight is NOT abuse.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I think I have to echo your views marysusan this is a storm in a teacup IMO and yet another attempt by the media to fill their papers at this time of the year and creat a lot of drama over a selected few snaps. IMO
Old 01-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Not to mention the fact that some people will always believe any negative story about the royals but when something shows them in a positive light it is passed off as just PR rather than the truth. It is the same as the story this week about Charles overtaking Anne as the hardest working royal based on number of engagements. There were people who wrote into one of the newspapers who simply ignored the evidence and refused to believe that Charles could be doing more than Anne - simply not prepared to accept anything positive about a particular royal while others won't believe any positive story about any of them at all - so sad that people can be that cynical.

We know that the royals all have dogs and lots of them in some cases. To think that any of them would therefore deliberately hurt one, or not know the correct way to do things, is very difficult for some of us who absolutely love dogs and to me is a sign of people who just want to believe the negative and not look at things in any other light.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

OK, we're going around in circles again.

To restore some narrative flow I've taken out the empty posts, the bickering posts, the posts about members' own dogs, and the posts repeating what the same members had previously posted.

Any new pictures of Prince Edward with guns and dogs should be treated on their own merits and not used as yet another opportunity to rehash all that has already been said. There comes a time when repetition for it's own sake doesn't add weight to an argument but just becomes tedious.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Royal Highness

Another day, another set of photos:
After the row over those pictures, enter Prince Edward, the dog lover... | Mail Online
Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
How long we will have this story day by day?

Closed Thread

Tags
countess of wessex, earl of wessex, lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, prince edward, sophie, viscount severn